San Diego ABC 10News to do independent study on ecigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake6731

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Plano,TX,USA
There are three questions in the poll and based on the numbers reported as of right now, folks are predominately only answering question #1
#1.Should e-cigarettes be banned everywhere regular cigarettes are? 84% Voted No - 1106 Votes
#2.How much safer do think e-cigarettes are than regular cigarettes? 95% Much Safer - 437 Votes
#3.Does the increasing popularity of e-cigarettes concern you? 89% Not Really - 436 Votes.

And BTW, what a load of junk! "Team 10 tried to contact "Smoking Everywhere" in China where it is manufactured and its distributor in the United States, based in Plantation, Fla. Our phone calls were not returned." Doh, perhaps cause they went out of business a couple of years ago!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
There are three questions in the poll and based on the numbers reported as of right now, folks are predominately only answering question #1
#1.Should e-cigarettes be banned everywhere regular cigarettes are? 84% Voted No - 1106 Votes
#2.How much safer do think e-cigarettes are than regular cigarettes? 95% Much Safer - 437 Votes
#3.Does the increasing popularity of e-cigarettes concern you? 89% Not Really - 436 Votes.

And BTW, what a load of junk! "Team 10 tried to contact "Smoking Everywhere" in China where it is manufactured and its distributor in the United States, based in Plantation, Fla. Our phone calls were not returned." Doh, perhaps cause they went out of business a couple of years ago!

Yup, a real journalist with an internet connection would have taken less than 5 minutes to determine SE no longer existed and gone back to Prue and questioned how she was testing a product that is no longer on sale. After all, they did say they paid for the "independent study". My guess is Prue just pulled out her old file and used the results.

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
....in the lab run by Prue Talbot. :(

Those of you familiar with Prue Talbot's history concerning ecigs already know how impartial her "results" will be.

http:// www. 10news. com /news/investigations/e-cigarettes-under-fire-by-critics-team-10-tests-the-vapor-01292014

I especially liked one of the two tests was performed on:"...the e-cigarette "Smoking Everywhere Platinum." It is made in China and available online. It is distributed out of Florida across the United States." Ya-Ya. And .................. it went down the commode from there..... in typical "ABC Investigative Reporting" fashion.:D

Vote? You ask me to vote? Why of course! Several times (for the chillun).

Senile Old Man Don

ADDENDUM: I debated if I should note what I REALLY didn't like in the least; it is in the "Comments" section. I decided to and take my chances with getting another hand-slap:

(COMMENT): "NormBour"

"Great job and the results reveal non-emotional opinions. I am an Industry Adviser and have met with many political leaders and reached out to city councils about this controversial subject. This survey may be skewed by advocats, but is a good indicator of the "public" opinion. My web site has Special Reports which address some of your concerns: VapeMentorS.com." (END BOUR COMMENT)

VapeMentorS" ... He notes there are "special reports" which address concerns and invites folks to visit his web site. On the 'Special Reports' page' where one might expect to find articles supporting e-cigarettes from a "safety" standpoint are line after line pertaining to joining the retail world as an e-cigarette seller: “Top SEVEN questions to ask before you open your Vape store“ ... “FIVE ways to dominate your Vapor market“ ... "How much Does it cost to Open a Vape shop?"... and more ... all essentially financial in content.

He then cites a very misleading article by Deborah Baran published on 'Liberty Voice' titled, "Lung Cancer Decreases as Vaping Increases". Certainly the articles DOES cite a 50 YEAR HISTORY showing a decrease in lung cancer, however, in no way does it credit e-cigarettes for any such decrease (NOR SHOULD IT) - it simply brings up all the old negatives which are all too familiar.

In MY "opinion" anyone going to Mr Bour's web site will IMMEDIATELY see he that he is an advocate of
e-cigarettes, but not because he has proven them "safe", but because he is in the 'business' of assisting potential entrepreneurs.

I admit he may well be an, "...Industry Adviser" and he may have "met with many political leaders and reached out to city councils about this controversial subject." - but from MY point of view in this particular instance he is discrediting not only himself - but the industry in general. Come on Mr. Bour - don't refer people to YOUR web site containing an article with a misleading headline - surrounded by others dealing only with "e-cigarette business opportunity" and helping to "maximize ... vape store potential" and expect anyone to suddenly become 'believers' when it comes to 'safety'.

I came my conclusion --- ABC certainly could do the same - which would require that they actually READ the "comment" section; maybe they do - maybe not. Would it "matter"? Probably not - but I hate to see the media with one more bullet in their arsenal of gatling guns they enjoy aiming right at 'us'.

That's all. Yea I know, "Why bother?". It's just a "comment". Back into the box I go.:)

Senile Old Man Don ........... Again.

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Well, Prue accomplished one thing, and that is to prove that it is a bad idea to use cartos or clearos that have any kind of solder in them. ;)

Not at all. This is completely false.

The only way to vaporize the solder from a cartridge is to glow it red hot for extended periods of time. Nobody vapes that way except Pruebot's experimental vaping apparatus that she uses to manufacture junk publications about the dangers of vaping.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
She probably threw the cartridges in an oven and tested the melted scrapings.

That would not surprise me at all. Most likely, she sat down and wrote her predetermined conclusion and then went about torturing the poor atomizers and the resulting data until they confessed to exactly what she wanted. This is the well-known and widely-used KGB experimental method at which the ANTZ are particularly adept.:p

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Interesting point, that the PruBot may have simply regurgitated old study results of the SE cartridge (in which case, ABC10 should demand their money back, or sue her for fraud).

But what if she really did conduct new research on an SE cartridge? Why, out of all the brands currently on the market, did she decide on SE for experimentation? Where did she obtain one? She didn't pick one up at Walmart. Does she have a stash of carts from 2009? Did she ask FDA to send her one from *its* stash (maybe she was hoping to find more DEG)?

She must have known SE is no longer sold (or is she so out of it she actually doesn't know? In which case, somebody needs to fire her...). Knowing this, she let ABC10 go ahead and try to contact the manufacturer and so state in its article, which would lead (and is leading) to embarrassment and ridicule by a better informed public. ABC10 should surely take her to task for this misinformation and misdirection.

Why didn't she test Blu, or Njoy, or Fin, or V2?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Interesting point, that the PruBot may have simply regurgitated old study results of the SE cartridge (in which case, ABC10 should demand their money back, or sue her for fraud).

But what if she really did conduct new research on an SE cartridge? Why, out of all the brands currently on the market, did she decide on SE for experimentation? Where did she obtain one? She didn't pick one up at Walmart. Does she have a stash of carts from 2009? Did she ask FDA to send her one from *its* stash (maybe she was hoping to find more DEG)?

She must have known SE is no longer sold (or is she so out of it she actually doesn't know? In which case, somebody needs to fire her...). Knowing this, she let ABC10 go ahead and try to contact the manufacturer and so state in its article, which would lead (and is leading) to embarrassment and ridicule by a better informed public. ABC10 should surely take her to task for this misinformation and misdirection.

Why didn't she test Blu, or Njoy, or Fin, or V2?

Yes, we know she lurks on ECF so she knows the popular e cigs and nicquid. If you were going with tests, any of those would have been appropriate or at least one of them.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
cristin.severance@10news.com

I understand that you are the contact person for this piece...
10News - E-cigarettes under fire by critics, Team 10 tests the vapor - 10News.com - Team 10 Investigates

We over at the electronic cigarette forum were wondering where Prue Talbot managed to come up with any Smoking Everywhere cartridges to test.

If they are the same company that I assume them to be, they filed bankruptcy over two years ago...
Company Bankruptcy Information for Smoking Everywhere Inc

Do you happen to know where she managed to scrape these cartridges up?
The story seems to indicate that they can be purchased online, but I’m not having any luck in finding them available anywhere.

Also, I believe I remember it being mentioned that 10News tried to contact Smoking Everywhere for comment?
It is probably worth noting that the any efforts to contact them will continue to be unsuccessful.

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Be sure to let us know if/when Severance replies, DC2! :laugh:

Another afterthought: I have actually tried the other brand tested, which is still available. (It was a vapemergency, my one and only. I learned my lesson about backups...) No disrespect if anyone here actually uses that brand, but it's probably the lowest quality, worst tasting ecig one can buy these days. Did the PruBot know this?

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
It's spreading fast, and not just to other ABC affililiates.

Also watch for it to come up at the Santa Fe City Council hearing on the 12th regarding a proposed vaping = smoking ord.; the New Mexican just did a ht job piece by a toxicologist which mentioned it.

No doubt about it, the ANTZ PR machine is busy pimping this study to whomever they can corral into listening... :facepalm:

And yet another afterthought: That SE cart must be at least 2 years old, if not older. What's the shelf life for carts? Methinks it's possible there would have been some degradation to the components that should have been taken into account. Oh wait... They couldn't admit how old the cart was, could they? Silly me.... Carry on.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Be sure to let us know if/when Severance replies, DC2! :laugh:

Another afterthought: I have actually tried the other brand tested, which is still available. (It was a vapemergency, my one and only. I learned my lesson about backups...) No disrespect if anyone here actually uses that brand, but it's probably the lowest quality, worst tasting ecig one can buy these days. Did the PruBot know this?

I would think yes as she knew that the manufactures saw the FDA test and since then are being careful as far as anything that may give their opponents anything real to use against e-cigs.

This is why Dr Farsalinos' study is important, the e-cig industry needs to be ahead of the Stan and Prue SI-FI show in removing any problematic ingredients before they find them and control the way the findings are released.

:glare::2c::vapor:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
That would not surprise me at all. Most likely, she sat down and wrote her predetermined conclusion and then went about torturing the poor atomizers and the resulting data until they confessed to exactly what she wanted. This is the well-known and widely-used KGB experimental method at which the ANTZ are particularly adept.:p
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
ABC had to know who they were hiring to do this study?? I'm sure they have a list of contacts for stories they want to run. They were probably looking for results that were PRU-SCEWED. Drama is what sells.

tonyph

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2008
Derby, UK
Its a pretty standard media trick to make sure nobody is available for comment. We got hit in the 70's, my favourite's was when they contacted an accountancy firm and asked about the company books. They got a great recording of them being surprised and saying they did not anything about this and could not comment. Not surprising really as they were not the company accountants. They then forged letters supporting us! The letters came across as stupid and moronic and made us look dreadful. Lots of scrutiny then, other press following it up. We were as clean as a whistle but it took 6 months and immense amounts of wasted effort to get a tiny apology. It turned out one of us had upset a friend of the editor.
That was the 70's, since then they have got far far better at it. The outfit that did us was supposedly part of the ethical investigative media, and since then the ethics of the media as gone nowhere but down.
Chances are either ABC got Pru or Pru & Stanz got ABC, knowing the type of garbage tehy would come up with. Then conspired in the story and where it was going from the start. It just makes a far better story to find terrible things.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Be sure to let us know if/when Severance replies, DC2!
She forwarded my email to the Senior Producer, who did a lot of the research for the segment.

Here is his reply...
I am not sure if they are available for sale or not right now makes a difference as far as the big picture. Many companies manufacturer these products, when the research began on them, they were purchased on the internet. Research is not like buying a SLURPEE at 7-11 as you might imagine. It takes time…..and it’s not like these scientists are being paid millions to do this. They do it because it’s what they do. I do think the products being marketed are getting better, that’s a personal opinion. But there is NO oversight of the manufacturing process in China……and I need the CIA to tell me who makes those e smokes now and under what name. You don’t think they just folded up shop and don’t make e cigarettes anymore?

The distributor for the product lives in Florida. He is a real live person, he also ran a PEST CONTROL company Calls to all of his working phones—I believe I found three---were never responded to. I saw the lawsuit over the bankruptcy case…..but a distributor is not a manufacturer. I doubt if it slowed down the China based maker at all.

What is the e cigarette forum? Sounds interesting…..i realize you all must feel put upon but do understand how serious this issue is from the health care perspective……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread