Status
Not open for further replies.

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
I'm just throwing this out there. I have two v3 round tops that I purchased in the spring of 2014. Fairmana came up with a solution for the bad buttons and displays which mine did not have. However, I sent them to him for a rebuild that included a new board and a button that would last for 10,000 presses. Not long after that (a month) I entered the world of Reo mods where I still am. These v3s are virtually brand new. If anyone is interested in them message me. I even have the original boxes they came in.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Here is the MSDS for Noalox. Note what it says about skin contact, eye contact and ingestion.

http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/products/msds/noalox_anti-oxidant.pdf

Vaseline MSDS looks a lot better. The product is safe to use on the lips. It should last longer as a lubricant on APV threads because it is practically insoluble in glycerol (VG) or water. Noalox is water soluble and APVs tend to produce a lot of water vapor. Vaseline used to be included with gun cleaning kits and was issued to GIs in WW2 for lubricating and waterproofing weapons parts.

http://www.dosha.org/msds/Vaseline Petroleum Jelly.pdf

NO-OX-ID is superior to Noalox. Better conductivity and cleaner to use. Does not harden with age.

NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL HD Anti Corrosion Antenna Electrical Contact E-Cig Grease NEW | eBay

Reactions: BackDoc

Stiksave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2015
Lancaster, NY
Ordered two, free shipping to NY state. I'll miss the battery indicator. I'm OK. Embarrassed, a little sore and a few scrapes. Like a comedy, I thought my kid had the ropes taught when I went to get out of the boat to fetch the the truck and trailer, one foot on the dock one in the boat, as soon as I stepped out, the boat pushed away from the dock, splash. Crappy ending to a great day "on" the water. 7 Walleye for the freezer.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Reactions: r77r7r

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
I haven't used anything on my V5 threads for years. I just keep the threads clean. All of the problems I used to attribute to poor B- continuity on the tube threads ended after replacing the stock switch with the Omron switch.

What can I say I like smooth threads. Mooch did a recent article on conductivity. Most noticeable on mech mods for the slight edge in competition and found little difference between different metals. Increasing the conductivity on a regulated mod means little. Vape too weak? Crank up the wattage.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The V3s and V5s were extraordinarily well built compared to other legacy tube mods. The electronics by Yihi were solid. The machine work and design of the stainless steel tube was the best in the business. They weren't perfect, however. The colored finishes didn't last any longer than those on most imported mods. Brushed natural stainless was the way to go unless you wanted the heated treated "rainbow" and honestly, I didn't want to carry around a rainbow anything. There were two Achilles heels on these mods. The half-round sleeve that houses electronics inside the tube could break loose if the tube was over-tightened. The biggest problem was the tactile switch. Only one switch was needed for these rigs and Sigelei chose just about the cheapest, least reliable tactile switch they could find. This choice was probably made to facilitate planned obsolescence. I have no doubt that the main reason my V5 is still working after more than three years of daily use is the Omron replacement switch that I soldered onto the top board.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
The V3s and V5s were extraordinarily well built compared to other legacy tube mods. The electronics by Yihi were solid. The machine work and design of the stainless steel tube was the best in the business. They weren't perfect, however. The colored finishes didn't last any longer than those on most imported mods. Brushed natural stainless was the way to go unless you wanted the heated treated "rainbow" and honestly, I didn't want to carry around a rainbow anything. There were two Achilles heels on these mods. The half-round sleeve that houses electronics inside the tube could break loose if the tube was over-tightened. The biggest problem was the tactile switch. Only one switch was needed for these rigs and Sigelei chose just about the cheapest, least reliable tactile switch they could find. This choice was probably made to facilitate planned obsolescence. I have no doubt that the main reason my V5 is still working after more than three years of daily use is the Omron replacement switch that I soldered onto the top board.

Although the tube construction and finish were very good the custom body of the Spire was far superior.

Reactions: BackDoc

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The Spire tubes were pretty to look at but I don't think they had any functional advantage over the stock V3/V5 tubes. The Spire was limited to V3 electronics. The Spire featured a metal button. There were a few V5s made with metal buttons and a soft silicon bushing underneath that eliminated free travel of the button. I wonder if the Spires used this same bushing?

Last edited:
Reactions: VapieDan

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
The Spire tubes were pretty to look at but I don't think they had any functional advantage over the stock V3/V5 tubes. The Spire was limited to V3 electronics. The Spire featured a metal button. There were a few V5s made with metal buttons and a soft silicon bushing underneath that eliminated free travel of the button. I wonder if the Spires used this same bushing?

I agree. There is nothing "functional" about a finer finish and more pleasing aesthetics. Since the chip is the same the function is present.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
pulled out a new V2,V3,and V5 to compare to the Spire......Man are the Zs beautiful mods (hard to believe we picked up the last of them for 4.99$!).......not getting technical i have to say they are all Amazing in their own right......as Yzer mentioned( im still laughing at the "rainbow" reference .....im with you:)) , the Machining and quality for the Body was certainly the best of its day,..But i must concur with Dan that the Spire Body( machining, threading , aesthetics(subjective) , fit and finish) are far better, not taking anything away from the Zs but its like comparing a Buick to a Cadillac regarding the final product ..........PS; put an inquiry in at beyond vape as to the differences in the Spire from the V3 regarding the button etc .....will keep you guys posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread