Starting a LIST of diacetyl-free ejuice suppliers. Please, keep to JUST listing the supplier names!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vangrl27

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
vancouver
Of course artificial and natural ingredients are composed of many compounds and chemicals, but that doesn't make it improper to call a flavor 1 ingredient. When vendors state the concept above, it's usually to point out they don't add water, alcohol, coloring, or any other separate additives to the standard pg/vg, flavoring, and nic needed to make juice; it's not meant as a blanket statement that all the chemicals involved in making a flavoring is certified safe to inhale.

Understood. Simply pointing out that there are indeed more than 4 ingredients in e-juice

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Of course artificial and natural ingredients are composed of many compounds and chemicals, but that doesn't make it improper to call a flavor 1 ingredient. When vendors state the concept above, it's usually to point out they don't add water, alcohol, coloring, or any other separate additives to the standard pg/vg, flavoring, and nic needed to make juice; it's not meant as a blanket statement that all the chemicals involved in making a flavoring is certified safe to inhale.

Hell, water is a compound with two elements -- and depending on what city you live in, maybe MANY more. :D

vangrl27

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
vancouver
I get what you are saying, but "ingredients" and elements are not exactly interchangeable.

Alright, but 1 flavour can also contain 1 or all of these ingredients - water, ethyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, citric acid, butter esters, corn syrup, triacetin, malic acid, milk derivatives, coloring.. ...all common ingredients of flavourings.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Alright, but 1 flavour can also contain 1 or all of these ingredients - water, ethyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, citric acid, butter esters, corn syrup, triacetin, malic acid, milk derivatives, coloring.. ...all common ingredients of flavourings.

Correct. That's why this idea of diacetyl in eliquid is tricky because a vendor may legitimately be able to say, "we do NOT use diacetyl or dicaetyl-substitutes," when in all actuality, the flavor-based ingredients they use may contain those compounds.

Even still, and as long as we're talking about "butter" (LOL), if I said, to make Rice Krispie treats you only need three ingredients -- butter, marshmallows and Rice Krispies -- I don't think that would be deceitful or misleading, unless you were claiming that that snack had no "added sugar". "We do NOT add sugar to our Rice Krispie treats, just a few pounds of marshmallows." LOL

vangrl27

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
vancouver
Correct. That's why this idea of diacetyl in eliquid is tricky because a vendor may legitimately be able to say, "we do NOT use diacetyl or dicaetyl-substitutes," when in all actuality, the flavor-based ingredients they use may contain those compounds.

Even still, and as long as we're talking about "butter" (LOL), if I said, to make Rice Krispie treats you only need three ingredients -- butter, marshmallows and Rice Krispies -- I don't think that would be deceitful or misleading, unless you were claiming that that snack had no "added sugar". "We do NOT add sugar to our Rice Krispie treats, just a few pounds of marshmallows." LOL

perfect analogy! :)

vangrl27

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
vancouver
ugh so I did something in my photobucket account last night and every embedded image I've ever posted got deleted. It wasn't intentional at all, so I'm posting that lab result test again for reference. I would have just edited my original post but I can't.

Also, if anyone ever hears back from Flavor West regarding this test, can you please post the info here. 10 days ago they said they were going to check with their "raw material supplier" to see what ingredients were in the flavour, that's the last I've heard. Can't take that long can it?

jimivapr

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Boston
Are we really supposed to believe that ANY vendor will stand up and say 'yes' we use diacetyl!... of course not, that would just be silly! To prove this, can anyone tell me a vendor who says it is included in their juice? I hate to say it... because it's such an evil concept... but that's what regulation would tell us! Without regulation, you could be vaping arsenic... you would not know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimivapr

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Boston
Vaperite says which of their flavors contain diacetyl.

Although I don't see any specific flavor that does say it's included, I do see that they admit 'a few' of their flavors include it. To their credit, they mention the existence of it in their liquids. It does seem that vaperite is concerned with these issues. I'm sure, however, that this level of responsibility is not the norm in the industry.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
https://www.vaperite.com/banana-cream.html

"True tropical banana cream flavor. Note: This product contains a very small percentage of diacetyl. A flavor molecule is found in buttery flavors."

It wasn't hard for me to find the flavor because I can generally detect which flavors may have diacetyl or the substitutes, or at the very least, I can determine which liquids are in that class -- and it's not always custard (though those always give me pause).

Edit* A much easier way is to search the store for diacetyl! LOL. All in all they have 14 total flavors containing diacetyl (or those are the ones that show up), though they state it is in very small amounts. Considering they are honest enough to state the truth about what is in their liquid, I don't doubt that the amount is trace. At least the customer can decide while being presented with information.

Last edited:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Without regulation, you could be vaping arsenic... you would not know.

How many smokers & former smokers know that smoke from analogs contains arsenic?

Aren't tobacco cigs regulated?

Have you ever seen a list of ingredients on a pack of smokes?

And just to keep this on-topic: Cig smoke contains diacetyl... :)

jimivapr

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Boston
https://www.vaperite.com/banana-cream.html

"True tropical banana cream flavor. Note: This product contains a very small percentage of diacetyl. A flavor molecule is found in buttery flavors."

It wasn't hard for me to find the flavor because I can generally detect which flavors may have diacetyl or the substitutes, or at the very least, I can determine which liquids are in that class -- and it's not always custard (though those always give me pause).

Edit* A much easier way is to search the store for diacetyl! LOL. All in all they have 14 total flavors containing diacetyl (or those are the ones that show up), though they state it is in very small amounts. Considering they are honest enough to state the truth about what is in their liquid, I don't doubt that the amount is trace. At least the customer can decide while being presented with information.

It's commendable that they state this, but is that the norm? Don't think so!

jimivapr

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Boston
How many smokers & former smokers know that smoke from analogs contains arsenic?

I guess you see where big tobacco has left us! Does that make it the correct solution? Or does it mean the regulation of tobacco is not sufficient?

spk99

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
The B-Lo

It's an interesting decision to take the time to post and criticize others for concerns over health on a forum dedicated to vape.

Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic and petty?

Sent from my GT-N5110

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
It's an interesting decision to take the time to post and criticize others for concerns over health on a forum dedicated to vape.

Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic and petty?

Didn't realize I was criticizing, being ironic & being petty..

I was actually asking legitimate questions.. How long has tobacco been regulated for (& not necessarily by the FDA)? And I've yet to see an ingredient list on a pack of smokes (obviously it wouldn't fit).. or some sort of warning label saying to keep away from pets (like my juice bottles do).. or some sort of child-proof locking mechanism on a pack of cigs (again, like my juice bottles do)...

What has regulation done for tobacco? And why does it seem like my unregulated juice bottles have that much more safeguards in place, including fewer chemical additives?

I understand the health-consciousness of it all.. That many former-smokers/now-vapers have woken up about putting stuff in their bodies.. I'm right there with ya!

But I'm not so sure that regulation is the answer.. because again, looking at regulated tobacco, I'm not seeing much in terms of improving safety of tobacco products... Even though tobacco has been around for a heck of a lot longer than e-juice...

As for arsenic? Check a certificate of analysis for USP kosher VG... Less than 1ppm (part per million) of arsenic... Tiny amount.. but how much is truly "safe" as it pertains to how we're taking it into our bodies?

And how many here knew that tobacco smoke contains diacetyl? Heck, I didn't even know until earlier tonight.. Obviously two wrongs don't make a right, no... And I'm sure there's a difference in diacetyl concentration levels, especially depending on any particular juice & any particular brand of cigs...

But yes, as smokers, we were inhaling diacetyl every time we lit up a smoke...

Little creepy, huh?

eethr

Jan 28, 2014
Central California
Didn't realize I was criticizing, being ironic & being petty..

I was actually asking legitimate questions.. How long has tobacco been regulated for (& not necessarily by the FDA)? And I've yet to see an ingredient list on a pack of smokes (obviously it wouldn't fit).. or some sort of warning label saying to keep away from pets (like my juice bottles do).. or some sort of child-proof locking mechanism on a pack of cigs (again, like my juice bottles do)...

What has regulation done for tobacco? And why does it seem like my unregulated juice bottles have that much more safeguards in place, including fewer chemical additives?

I understand the health-consciousness of it all.. That many former-smokers/now-vapers have woken up about putting stuff in their bodies.. I'm right there with ya!

But I'm not so sure that regulation is the answer.. because again, looking at regulated tobacco, I'm not seeing much in terms of improving safety of tobacco products... Even though tobacco has been around for a heck of a lot longer than e-juice...

As for arsenic? Check a certificate of analysis for USP kosher VG... Less than 1ppm (part per million) of arsenic... Tiny amount.. but how much is truly "safe" as it pertains to how we're taking it into our bodies?

And how many here knew that tobacco smoke contains diacetyl? Heck, I didn't even know until earlier tonight.. Obviously two wrongs don't make a right, no... And I'm sure there's a difference in diacetyl concentration levels, especially depending on any particular juice & any particular brand of cigs...

But yes, as smokers, we were inhaling diacetyl every time we lit up a smoke...

Little creepy, huh?

Now I'm wondering if it is naturally in tobacco, like it is in butter? Or is it added?

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Now I'm wondering if it is naturally in tobacco, like it is in butter? Or is it added?

I've read both.. that BT uses it as an additive, and that it's found naturally in tobacco (though some claim that it can be removed during their tobacco absolute extraction process)...

Keep in mind that diacetyl also goes by the names of: butanedione, 2,3-butanedione, biacetyl, dimethylglyoxal, 2,3-diketobutane, Butane-2,3-dione, Dimethyl glyoxal, dimethyl diketone, 2,3-dioxobutane -- and others

Known Uses:

Flavorant. Associated with tobacco: reported either as a natural component of tobacco, pyrolysis product (in tobacco smoke), or additive for one or more types of tobacco products

Testing Status: 2,3-Butanedione (Diacetyl) M940009 - National Toxicology Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread