Status
Not open for further replies.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I started using rebar tie wire for coils awesome clouds! I have no Idea what the resistances is my last coil shorted my meeter;-) I only have to carry 37 bats to make it threw a day! I rigged up a milk jug with a direct drip valve I roll around on a IV stand. Say what you will I have the most cloudenest set up around!

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am working on my new SUPER AWESOME ULTRA LOW OHM coil now...

Safety NOT guaranteed.

mr-coil-springs.png
+
1298136072-76777600.jpg
+
b0991248-1832-4628-ad92-3cc9ec8b974a_300.jpg
+
eb68319f8da0400adf337110.L.jpg
=
mushroom-cloud.jpg

Reactions: Ronald3638

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
OK my :2c: Pros if done at a reasonable .4 to .6 dual coil set up with enough wick and air its a nice vape. Quad supper low ohm coils are silly IMO

Cons Poor battery life but anyone who tinkers probably has a good supply of bats anyway. Big clouds mean big juice flow but I dont care Its not like it burns it drastically fast. Like any hot rod if you cant afford it dont have it. Pretty simple really. The biggest Con is the risk if not done with a little knowledge Sub ohm vaping has the potential to have very negative consequences.

WCSR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Earth
Honestly... Most people do it to show off (as if wrapping sub ohm coils is rocket science). The others do it because they smoked the hardest hitting cigarettes known to man, like Camel unfiltereds, and they need that instantaneous warmth and increased nicotine with a short drag in order to emulate what they smoked for so many years.

I made a 26650 box mod at work, and bought one dual coil tank atty. I keep it around .8Ω. I only use it when I really have the urge to smoke. Usually on my way to work in the morning, and right before I go to bed. Otherwise I use my VW mod, Protank wound at 2.3Ω, and 10 watts to get me through the day.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Just wanted to say, doing sub-ohm is not a goal in itself, and certainly not going as low sub-ohm as you can. I know guys at a local B&M who are way down there doing below .2 ohms and bragging about it, but I sure don't want to vape on their rigs. I tried a 3 wrap coil for a day with 28 kanthal running at .62 ohm, and it was too hot. I got clouds but no flavor, so I went back to a 4 wrap at .74 ohm and it was much better. The flavor was back and I was getting what I paid for in juice.

If you are on a mech sub-ohm makes good sense. I used a Protank on my mech for a while and I could tell I was just not there yet. Once I put that AGA-T2 on there with a .7ish coil on it I had arrived. It's not everyone's vaping solution, but it sure works for me and I'm pretty happy with it. Some like their Provaris, I like my mech.

It won't tell me how many vapes I did, give me my GPS location, or suggest lottery numbers, but it does do exactly what I bought it for. One button, one vape. Simple. I know what voltage I'm doing and wind my coils accordingly. It's all nailed down.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
It's not wrong. Nor was I discussing the "reverse charging" issue. Where do you get this stuff?

Well, by seeking actual information and reading it, and not running around like a chicken without a head screaming bloody murder. Issues with stacked batteries have almost always been because of the interaction between the two batteries, not because of a high discharge rate related to the load.

You need a propaganda job.

I didn't say .2 ohms was a short.

You continually cry that it's "nearly a dead short" and you hide behind the fact that you didn't say it was a short. :nah: You clearly intend people to conflate that particular resistance with a dead short. It's not even close from a number of perspectives, so that blanket statement is false.

Basically anything can short. If you're continually stressing the battery it's already warm. So you may have less warning. Or cause the battery to internally short over time due to stress (21 amps!). Also, you can't use a fuse because of those amps whereas with "normal" ranges you can.

High discharge rate does NOT lead to internal shorts!!! That is a flat out irresponsible statement to make. And fuses do nothing to protect against internal shorts.

So the .2 ohms was selected as an example to make a point for discussion purposes. It does matter. It's a lot different than higher ohms from a stress perspective.

It doesn't matter nearly to the degree you make out, and that statement is not true by itself. There are many variables you are not specifying that change the picture completely. Resistance doesn't matter on regulated mods with regard to battery stress. A super high drain battery or battery pack wouldn't be stressed by that load.

Voltage was Ohm's law. Not nonsense.

Please show your work how you applied ohm's law to what you said.

You're trolling.

No, I'm correcting gross misinformation and hysteria. Your being badly wrong does not make the person who corrects you a troll.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I tried a 3 wrap coil for a day with 28 kanthal running at .62 ohm, and it was too hot. I got clouds but no flavor, so I went back to a 4 wrap at .74 ohm and it was much better. The flavor was back and I was getting what I paid for in juice.

You understand this doesn't mean anything about other setups at lower resistances, right?

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I started using rebar tie wire for coils awesome clouds! I have no Idea what the resistances is my last coil shorted my meeter;-) I only have to carry 37 bats to make it threw a day! I rigged up a milk jug with a direct drip valve I roll around on a IV stand. Say what you will I have the most cloudenest set up around!

You guys crack me up.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I understand I'm happy with my own rig and how I'm doing it. Others can do as they please.

Right, but you understand that your results don't reflect what others get with their rigs, correct?
I get this feeling people do what you did then assume, well others are just burning the crap out of their stuff and they like it that way ... which is not true.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
There's another side to the "sensible" sub-ohm vaping that hasn't been covered yet... I believe.

Thicker wire, easier to wrap snugly without biting into the wick. No real hazzle with too tight or too loose.
Thicker wire won't pop as easily. Allows you to pulse oxidize easier.
Fewer wraps means less wraps to adjust. Not that you really have to adjust once you got the feel for it. Pulse and go.

I'm strictly talking SS mesh here. 4/3 wraps of 28 awg is the easiest setup I make. Haven't experimented beyond that.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I understand I'm happy with my own rig and how I'm doing it. Others can do as they please.

Yes. I feel the same way :smokie: :thumb:

Back OT. I know of no other way yet to get the vape I do with sub-ohm coils. I vape zero nic and it's all about the flavor for me. Every device in vaping has people who love it and those who hate it. The same is true of wire gauge, wick material and how exactly we set things up.

So, sub-ohm is no more for everyone than carto tanks are or dripping is. It's just one more method to look at if you are not satisfied with what you have now.

Vape happy :toast:

Last edited:

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
scratch my post. brother said it was 1.2ohms, just checked it on my multimeter and its .4 ohm so guess sub ohm it is lol. In other news I get to baby sit my brothers kts for a week until he gets batteries that can handle it. He was using his friends batteries in it and almost used his cheap no name ones that came with his fasttech zmax. Really glad I checked it or he could have got hurt

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
so are people using .4 coils with aw imr batteries? says 10 amp limit and .4 at 4.2v will be 10.5

AW IMR 18650 1600 mAH are rated 15C (15 x 1.6AH = 24A). It's the 2000 mAH that are rated at 10A. You aren't going to get 4.2 volts across a 0.4Ω coil under load. You'll have the voltage drop of the internal resistance of the battery, the mod and the atty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread