SXmini M Class (TEMP CONTROL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
One thing I'm wondering about why didn't the ipv4 use the 350J chip. Too expensive.

I am sure that is it.

Also, the SX330 chipset is designed differently in terms of how it does battery charging. It can handle a 2 amp current supply via a DC connector to charge the batteries.

So my guess is that cost and customer specifications are both relevant factors. Also, the features missing in the SX330 compared to the SX350J (e.g., modes, gravity sensor) may not be something that YiHi is willing to include on a customer's chipset at the moment.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Using replaceable coils.....
Freemax Starre is my vote, but everyone has their own preference IMO

Sweet Vapes has the Atlantis coils for $2 cheaper per pack than Starre coils so...
Has anyone tried the Atlantis V1, V2 or Vaporshark nickel Atlantis coils in their Starre tank?
Which gave better/best flavor? Starre coils or which of the Atlantis?
Thanks

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Sweet Vapes has the Atlantis coils for $2 cheaper per pack than Starre coils so...
Has anyone tried the Atlantis V1, V2 or Vaporshark nickel Atlantis coils in their Starre tank?
Which gave better/best flavor? Starre coils or which of the Atlantis?
Thanks

I just received the nickel vAIR-T coils for the Atlantis 1/2 from Sweet Vapes. I was a bit surprised at the resistance level for nickel coils. They are labeled at 0.25 and read 0.322 when I set resistance. So a bit higher than other nickel coils I've used, but vapes quite nicely. Vape is very airy and non restrictive, as you would expect for an Atlantis 2 and the flavor is quite good. I was also expecting blue orings like most nickel pre-made coils have... but these were just the normal clear color. Blue would have been better IMO to minimize confusion, but it doesn't affect the vape in any way.

It also has large adjustable juice flow control slots. I had it wide open for my first tank with a 70VG juice and it was a bit much with an occasional gurgle from too much juice. I turned it down to just a 1/2 slot opening for the second tank and it is wicking great now. I see this as a good thing since that means very high VG juices should work quite well with this coil. I also found the highest J setting (50) and temp of 480 gives a nice warm (not hot) vape that I like. There seems to be no real delay in heating the coil, and the voltage reading is between 5.5 and 6.0v while firing. Their listed at 10-80watts on the box, so I guess with the juice open appropriate for the juice and power it will handle pretty much however much power you can throw at it.

I have no idea how long these coils will last since I just received them today and I'm only on my second tank, but the vape is very nice and if the coils last I will be very pleased with these coils overall. BTW, I'm running this tank/coil combo on my IPV4 since I think 50J will deplete my SXMini Ms single battery pretty quickly. With the dual 18650s though it should still go all day easily. At 12.95 for a 5 pack they are a billy-bargain if they last well. I'll chime in a couple days from now to let you know how they do.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I just received the nickel vAIR-T coils for the Atlantis 1/2 from Sweet Vapes. I was a bit surprised at the resistance level for nickel coils. They are labeled at 0.25 and read 0.322 when I set resistance. So a bit higher than other nickel coils I've used, but vapes quite nicely. Vape is very airy and non restrictive, as you would expect for an Atlantis 2 and the flavor is quite good. I was also expecting blue orings like most nickel pre-made coils have... but these were just the normal clear color. Blue would have been better IMO to minimize confusion, but it doesn't affect the vape in any way.

It also has large adjustable juice flow control slots. I had it wide open for my first tank with a 70VG juice and it was a bit much with an occasional gurgle from too much juice. I turned it down to just a 1/2 slot opening for the second tank and it is wicking great now. I see this as a good thing since that means very high VG juices should work quite well with this coil. I also found the highest J setting (50) and temp of 480 gives a nice warm (not hot) vape that I like. There seems to be no real delay in heating the coil, and the voltage reading is between 5.5 and 6.0v while firing. Their listed at 10-80watts on the box, so I guess with the juice open appropriate for the juice and power it will handle pretty much however much power you can throw at it.

I have no idea how long these coils will last since I just received them today and I'm only on my second tank, but the vape is very nice and if the coils last I will be very pleased with these coils overall. BTW, I'm running this tank/coil combo on my IPV4 since I think 50J will deplete my SXMini Ms single battery pretty quickly. With the dual 18650s though it should still go all day easily. At 12.95 for a 5 pack they are a billy-bargain if they last well. I'll chime in a couple days from now to let you know how they do.

Thanks for the review :toast:

Are you using them in an Atlantis or Starre?

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
I seem to recall reading about this somewhere (this thread?), but found that if the mod sat unused in joules mode for a while (a couple of hours, overnight, etc...), it would report "Dry Coil" even with 5ml in the tank. I don't recall the work around posted, but I was issuing a resistance reset. This didn't always work, so a power down/restart/reset would usually bring it back. That is just too inconvenient for my liking.

So I went ahead and downloaded the current release version, 2.1 and installed it without a battery in the mod. That was just ridiculously easy for me, but here's the thing - I completely forgot to turn "Link On" on the device. The SXi software v2.3.0 had no trouble connecting and updating the SX Mini M on my Windoze 8 (not 8.1) laptop computer.

I got bit by the eco/battery change bug before I ever put an atomizer on. Duh. Anyway, fresh battery, fresh 2.1 update, fresh atty and hopefully I'll remember to change out of eco mode for battery swaps. I really don't like the threads on the battery cap. Or maybe YiHi will release the patch soon :)

Last edited:

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed my SXmini M Class in power and bypass modes while waiting for nickel wire. Even if I find that TC is not for me, I am very happy with my purchase!

I vaped about 6ml in temp mode before doing that update. Then I remembered one of the reasons I switched to rayon was because it was more resistant to dry hits/burning than cotton. So I re-wicked my Erlkönigin with KGD and filled her up. Liking it so far and have a kanthal build in another ErlK with the same juice for comparison. It will take a while for me to reach the bottom of the tank because I vape so many devices through the day.

I guess really should wrap one of my drippers with Ni200 for testing, but all my top-fed drippers are right where I like them. Or . . . buy another TF dripper? Shshsh! My wallet may be listening!

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I seem to recall reading about this somewhere (this thread?), but found that if the mod sat unused in joules mode for a while (a couple of hours, overnight, etc...), it would report "Dry Coil" even with 5ml in the tank. I don't recall the work around posted, but I was issuing a resistance reset. This didn't always work, so a power down/restart/reset would usually bring it back. That is just too inconvenient for my liking.

So I went ahead and downloaded the current release version, 2.1 and installed it without a battery in the mod. That was just ridiculously easy for me, but here's the thing - I completely forgot to turn "Link On" on the device. The SXi software v2.3.0 had no trouble connecting and updating the SX Mini M on my Windoze 8 (not 8.1) laptop computer.

I got bit by the eco/battery change bug before I ever put an atomizer on. Duh. Anyway, fresh battery, fresh 2.1 update, fresh atty and hopefully I'll remember to change out of eco mode for battery swaps. I really don't like the threads on the battery cap. Or maybe YiHi will release the patch soon :)
There are a few ways to do the upgrade and you found one of them where you don't have to go into Link mode to connect to the computer. Now for the next project... Updating the Windows 8 to 8.1 which is pretty easy and you really should do since 8 is so buggy and not supported. ;)

Last edited:

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed my SXmini M Class in power and bypass modes while waiting for nickel wire. Even if I find that TC is not for me, I am very happy with my purchase!

I vaped about 6ml in temp mode before doing that update. Then I remembered one of the reasons I switched to rayon was because it was more resistant to dry hits/burning than cotton. So I re-wicked my Erlkönigin with KGD and filled her up. Liking it so far and have a kanthal build in another ErlK with the same juice for comparison. It will take a while for me to reach the bottom of the tank because I vape so many devices through the day.

I guess really should wrap one of my drippers with Ni200 for testing, but all my top-fed drippers are right where I like them. Or . . . buy another TF dripper? Shshsh! My wallet may be listening!
We all anxiously await your comparison between the Nickel and the Kanthal A1 as you have a good test with 2 of the same tanks and the same juice in them. Enjoy!

Reactions: Bimini Twist

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
There are a few ways to do the upgrade and you found one of them where you don't have to go into Link mode to connect to the computer. No for the next project... Updating the Windows 8 to 8.1 which is pretty easy and you really should do since 8 is so buggy and not supported. ;)

Yea, well, this particular system hasn't had any problems. But I don't use it for much more than Web surfing and simple photo edits - with Gimp. It's relatively clean, too since I've been using portable apps more than fully installed apps.

But you're right. I should do another system backup and go for the free update now that it's been tried and tested by others. (Anybody remember DOS 4.0?)

We all anxiously await your comparison between the Nickel and the Kanthal A1 as you have a good test with 2 of the same tanks and the same juice in them. Enjoy!

It took a few puffs to settle down (break in the nickel coil?), but I have to say that they are nearly identical in vape and flavor. I run the Kanthal ErlK on a DNA30, so it's possible that I am simply adjusting both mods to my sweet spot for that atty/juice combo. The difference today is the KGD cotton. Apparently I like the rayon better, though I thought it was just for its burn resistance that I switched to rayon so long ago.

The ErlK is very easy to see when the juice is low, so it probably isn't a very good device for testing against dry hits. Maybe this evening I'll see if I have any decent top fed drippers around that I can coil up with nickel.

Reactions: JimScotty0

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I found some beautiful cases for the SXM and other mods too by an Italian craftsman who lives in the Naples area. They all appear to be hand crafted and very well made and designed. I am not sure how to purchase them or if he would be able to ship them overseas but they are nice eye candy nonetheless.

Valentino Villa | Facebook He has many more designs at his FB page.
11295936_988271454530125_6521662905033500812_n.jpg

11180597_988271977863406_8503006491254612652_n.jpg

11350644_990147234342547_7080719014905705199_n.jpg

10678614_975550345802236_4453423038092177514_n.jpg

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
OK....believe it or not I have 3 SX Mini M class devices (I really like the M class)
I just upgraded two of them to firmware v 2.21.
I set the resistance...(measured at 0.063 on both) and both of the units that I installed the atty on will not fire and I get a low resistance message.
If I put the same device on the device that still has v 1.4 firmware set the resistance (also measures 0.63 ohms) it fires fine.

What the H-!! is going on? ACKkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Is this a new bug in the 2.21 firmware that raises the minimum resistance that the device will fire at....and I just am unaware of it.
I should mention that another atty with 0.12 ohm resistance fires fine on both of the "upgraded" devices.
If there is a new minimum resistance for v2.21 I'd appreciate it if some one would let me know what it is.

I tried a third atty with resistance of 0.082 on both "upgraded" units and I get low resistance and no firing there too.....double ackkkkkk
One of the things I liked about the M class was that it worked fine at lower resistances than the dna's...my dna 40 fires 0.082 ohms and the m class won't. (I know the dna might be problematic with 0.082 but that's the device the )082 ohm atty was on and it worked fine on the dna...and will not work on two "upgraded" M classes

I may just have to go back to v 1.4...and I sure hate to have to do that.

EDIT...

OK I took one unit back to v. 1.4 and 0.063 ohms fires fine again. Looks like this new v2.21 firmware has a HUGE bug (for me)....I wasn't unhappy with v 1.4 really. I was just hoping for an improvement but for me.....2.21 sucks....
Sure would like to hear of a way out of this problem if there is one.

Thanks

Duane

Last edited:

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
OK....believe it or not I have 3 SX Mini M class devices (I really like the M class)
I set the resistance...(measured at 0.063 on both) and both of the units that I installed the atty on will not fire and I get a low resistance message.
If I put the same device on the device that still has v 1.4 firmware set the resistance (also measures 0.63 ohms) it fires fine.

Is this a new bug in the 2.21 firmware that raises the minimum resistance that the device will fire at....and I just am unaware of it.
I should mention that another atty with 0.12 ohm resistance fires fine on both of the "upgraded" devices.
If there is a new minimum resistance for v2.21 I'd appreciate it if some one would let me know what it is.

I tried a third atty with resistance of 0.082 on both "upgraded" units and I get low resistance and no firing there too.....double ackkkkkk
One of the things I liked about the M class was that it worked fine at lower resistances than the dna's...my dna 40 fires 0.082 ohms and the m class won't. (I know the dna might be problematic with 0.082 but that's the device the )082 ohm atty was on and it worked fine on the dna...and will not work on two "upgraded" M classes

Thanks

Duane
That is strange but I haven't tried to use it that low since the update. I am currently using .073 and that is working fine on my Lemo 2. I will let my SXM cool down and put on my Kanger Subtank Mini which has a .05x something on it and see if I have the same issue and will post back in about 20 mins.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com

EDIT...

OK I took one unit back to v. 1.4 and 0.063 ohms fires fine again. Looks like this new v2.21 firmware has a HUGE bug (for me)....I wasn't unhappy with v 1.4 really. I was just hoping for an improvement but for me.....2.21 sucks....

Thanks

Duane

That is strange but I haven't tried to use it that low since the update. I am currently using .073 and that is working fine on my Lemo 2. I will let my SXM cool down and put on my Kanger Subtank Mini which has a .05x something on it and see if I have the same issue and will post back in about 20 mins.
I tried my Subtank Mini and that calibrated and worked just fine at .075 so I then tried my Delta II which calibrated at .055 and is working just fine also. I am running the yet to be released v2.21 firmware.

So I am not sure what is going with your setup but it is not a limitation of the v2.21 firmware as I have just confirmed with a .055 build which is close to the bottom end of the Yihi SXM specifications.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA

EDIT...

Thanks

Duane

Duane,

After the update to V2.21 did you re-sync your atty resistance? Failing to do this is the only problem I have heard of that causes an apparent problem.

Most of the posts I have seen like yours as soon as someone reminds them they need to do the two button lock the resistance thing they post back - Duh! - it works great now. :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread