The Health Nut Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Ok, so I had this idea for a thread to encourage us to get healthy. I really wish I had thought of this for RJ :(

I'm not exactly sure if this will fly. I can always delete if people don't think it is a good idea. I guess what got me thinking about it is when Bridget said she did 4 miles the other morning and got it out of the way, I started thinking "I can do that!". So I proceeded to do 4 miles yesterday morning.

Yeah, there is a competitive streak in me :lol: Hubby is not giving me that competition that drives me to keep going.

I am not sure what I want this thread to become or it can be just posting what you have done, how you do it, what your goals are. I absolutely want it to be encouraging for each of us.

RJ, you have been my inspiration to get into shape. My god, what you have accomplished is truly amazing.

Pretty much anything healthy goes here. OR not. This is for all of us. We have quit smoking and now are thinking about our health in a truly realistic way.

So..... what do you think? Yay? or Nay? If you think it is a bad idea, please let me know. It will not hurt my feelings in the least. ;)

guiltypleasures

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2014
Greensboro NC
I think its a great idea, no stinkies in almost 2 years is BIG time for me ! I have since been going a minimum of 3 times a week to the gym. I started trying to do my own routine but was failing at it fast. Good thing my gym offers classes on everything from kickboxing to weight lifting (2 of my faves ) because besides this cold and allergy thing I have right now I have never felt better :). I don't "diet" because I have tried that . I just make better decisions (most of the time ) on what I eat ! I feel amazing! I have a goal to lose 20lbs in the next year ! Oh and water ! I drink water instead of sodas !

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Same here almost. Over 2 years smoke free. I weigh 140lbs right now(!).

My goal: I want to get to about 130 - 135, that's when my clothes fit the best.

So far I'm just making my portions smaller. I generally eat fairly healthy, just overdo it :ohmy:
Getting the elliptical is making a difference. I am doing about 6 - 8 miles a day. Yesterday I did 4 in the morning (thank you Bridget :) ) and 4 in the evening.

Today I have done 4 this morning. I'm trying to work up the gumption to do another couple of miles before we go to a concert tonight. And now that I have typed this out, I think I will go do a couple :)

This is what I need. A record and knowing someone will read this and I have to keep my word. It's the way I am built ;)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I gave up soft drinks ages ago.

The only caffeine I drink anymore is coffee and then it is limited to a pot in the morning.

What is interval training?

Can I take a day off? Or do you all keep at it each day?

Did 4 miles today. Average RPM = 46
4 miles in 40 minutes. My average is about 10 minutes per mile. I have introduced resistance.

ETA: Did another 4 miles. The third mile was with a resistance of 8. 4th mile, dropped to 6 for 1/2 mile then down to 4 for 1/4 and got rid of the resistance for the rest of the mile.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
My first bit of advice for getting healthy/losing weight, and there will be more, I'll probably get on your nerves before it's over.... :)

Soft Drinks are EVIL. EVIL EVIL EVIL. Just say no. I mean seriously, there isn't much worse you can put into your body.

/off my soapbox

Aint gonna happen. :D No way are you gonna get on my nerves. I need the advice, competition, support and friendship :wub:

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Great idea Robin (as I put the fork down and stop eating the pumpkin pie). I don't eat the crust, and it's a small piece.

Interval is short segments of cardio/weights/cardio/weights. Real short, like 2 min each.

A healthy diet and exercise. I usually do both without much thought, but I LOVE ice cream. So I indulge. But I try to just have a small bowl.

I absolutely love the mental and physical changes I've seen since I started yoga regularly last year. I do a hot yoga flow class so it's cardio. I recently saw a pic of myself from behind in a tank and honestly, my back is beautiful. Lightly sculpted muscles, I tried for years to have a nice back, then as soon as I stopped trying I found something that worked!

Back to my pumpkin pie. I will hike today with the dogs, about 3 miles on a moderate grade trail.

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
The problem with getting in shape at my advanced age is you lose you mind.... and do stupid things like post a picture of your .... on the internet.... :unsure:

It occurred to me last night, and I looked at my wife in horror and said, "I posted a picture of my .... on the internet!",

She burst out laughing.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Goal for today is 4 miles x 2 :D
My legs are sore, for the first time in the back of my thighs. Probably because of doing the resistance for a mile.

I can't do any sit-ups, or anything that pulls the stomach muscles, because it REALLY hurts if I do. Those muscles were cut during surgery. Anything that is a beginning core builder? I can do a bicycle type move, but that is even pushing it. I don't want to cause any damage.

Smaller portions again.
Also to get the Christmas decor up.

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
It has taken me months and months to be able to do sit-ups again, and I never had any surgery, just years of neglect to my body. The point is, I lost most of my belly without doing sit-ups. They're for toning what you have anyway, they won't get rid of a belly, the only thing they might do is maybe build some muscle under the fat.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The problem with getting in shape at my advanced age is you lose you mind.... and do stupid things like post a picture of your .... on the internet.... :unsure:

It occurred to me last night, and I looked at my wife in horror and said, "I posted a picture of my .... on the internet!",

She burst out laughing.

Chimp butts are easier to take than baboon butts. Not by a whole lot though. :)

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Goal for today is 4 miles x 2 :D
My legs are sore, for the first time in the back of my thighs. Probably because of doing the resistance for a mile.

I can't do any sit-ups, or anything that pulls the stomach muscles, because it REALLY hurts if I do. Those muscles were cut during surgery. Anything that is a beginning core builder? I can do a bicycle type move, but that is even pushing it. I don't want to cause any damage.

Smaller portions again.
Also to get the Christmas decor up.

When do you get your blood results Robin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread