Status
Not open for further replies.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Seems you are right about those extra board pads, I saw this PIC from YiHi with external switches.

3e9eedaf12cd6de908cd593ed63b45e3.jpg

Nice find and very helpful. The 3d printed enclosure I was wanting to use wont be ready till june it looks like as its only a rendering at this moment. Looks like another 1550P is going to be the box to put it in for now.

Last edited:

DrBeaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Lab City USA
www.mothersmilkwta.com
I see the yellow orange blue and green wires there. Didn't the sx350 only have 3 wires one up one down and a common? Anyone verify these work for up down function? And are the onboard switches low enough they wont be pressed while mounted using the usb as a standoff going through a faceplate? If that makes sense?
I would be happy if I know I can leave the onboard switches alone and just attach the wires I want to put to my switches using the pads along the edge. Heck Ill even move my USB around if it works out and nothing else is in the way in my design.

Nice find and very helpful. The 3d printed enclosure I was wanting to use wont be ready till june it looks like as its only a rendering at this moment. Looks like another 1550P is going to be the box to put it in for now.

Last edited:

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: P
Was very happy to get home today to find my sx 350j waiting for me. Powered it up to make sure its working. I definately want remote switches on this so am really interested in the side pads configuration. I noticed that the usb port on the board is mounted crooked. That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't cover the thing in epoxy. I would fix it myself. So is this problem just a bad board that I happened to get or is anybody else finding the same thing.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I see the yellow orange blue and green wires there. Didn't the sx350 only have 3 wires one up one down and a common? Anyone verify these work for up down function? And are the onboard switches low enough they wont be pressed while mounted using the usb as a standoff going through a faceplate? If that makes sense?.

1 pad (The second from the USB end) of the 4 on the side does connect to one side of both switches (The ones circled in blue). Sorry to disappoint, but the rest do not. I probed around a bit and did not find any point these pads are connected to that I could get to. You will need to solder 2 tiny wires to the pads in-between the switches (The ones circled in red) which looks like a real bear even if you have really good soldering skills unless the other 3 side pads connect to the processor separately but function the same as the on board switches. I doubt it, and they do have voltages present so I'm not going to try it. 1 of the 4 side pads has 3.3V so I assume that is the processor V+ line.

4ad36b84-aeef-492f-a57f-7d0d0e16f423_zpsmg4h32m0.jpg

Side profile of switches with refarence MM on left, fractions of an inch on right

28495c69-df81-4937-aa9c-8c3a42a1259f_zpsmrvau75a.jpg

Last edited:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Fairly certain I can solder to those pads with a fine tip and some small Kynar wire, but there is the definite chance of causing a solder bridge. I believe I will take the route of popping off the switch tops and soldering to the insides of the switches. EDIT: They are so confined that non destructive removal of the top caps may not be possible like I do with the DNA boards.

ad1d7b3c-7293-4681-b72f-a5f2d419ddfc_zps0zdydgue.jpg

Last edited:

craigsdocks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Northeast USA
www.craigsdocks.com
Was very happy to get home today to find my sx 350j waiting for me. Powered it up to make sure its working. I definately want remote switches on this so am really interested in the side pads configuration. I noticed that the usb port on the board is mounted crooked. That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't cover the thing in epoxy. I would fix it myself. So is this problem just a bad board that I happened to get or is anybody else finding the same thing.

Nah Mine is crooked as well, slightly tilted out of horizontal and also has a upward angle as well, just like the picture above has.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Nah Mine is crooked as well, slightly tilted out of horizontal and also has a upward angle as well, just like the picture above has.

And they must be using different black goo than the original SX350 boards. I thought I would throw some heat at it to straighten up that USB but no dice. The original stuff would soften under heat.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Did you beep out the pads to the switches, in case it's a multi-layer board, or at least hold it up to a very bright light to see if there are any middle traces?

You could just remove the existing switches - desoldering braid, solder pump, etc.

Soldering directly to the switch pads is a weak link - use some hot glue to make the connections stronger. I soldered a replacement headphone jack to board traces once, after dropping the media player and smashing that corner (of the player and the board, ripping out the jack). I hot-glued the wires to the board so the (now external) headphone jack wouldn't put any stress on the very delicate traces. Been working fine for years since.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Checked resistance from pads to pads.

I make out 5 layers.

Hard black stuff against the switches, some of the pads covered with it, even if they weren't covered with black stuff 2 are in very close proximity to the display making a soldering iron accident likely, the switches are not through hole so very likely to lift pads and traces trying to remove in the tight space they are in, and some boards use the common connections on switches as traces between pads. No need too chance it.

CA'ed the wires to the board after that pic for strain relief.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA

The usb on my board is leaning towards the screen slightly, but I can live with it as I will only use it for any future downloads that are released.
I am building my mod with dual batteries in series so I will be using the balance charger board for any onboard charging I may do from time to time. I plan to swap out batteries most of the time.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
I received this image from YiHi this morning in response to my request for more detailed measurements:

images upload

Does anyone know if there is a more comprehensive datasheet that gives all applicable measurements? I am specifically trying to figure out how far off the board the screen, USB and tact buttons sit.

Last edited:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO

TruckerMSA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Elizabethtown, Kentucky, United States
I received this image from YiHi this morning in response to my request for more detailed measurements:

images upload

Does anyone know if there is a more comprehensive datasheet that gives all applicable measurements? I am specifically trying to figure out how far off the board the screen, USB and tact buttons sit.

I personally don't go by spec sheets on these boards. I wait until I have the board in hand and get my own measurements. That way I know they are accurate[emoji12]

Sent from The Truck O Shop

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread