Unvapeable

Status
Not open for further replies.

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
Today I went to a local B&M that has a DIY juice bar. For $10.50 you can mix up your own 50ml bottle of juice from dozens of flavors that they have on hand. I mixed together some Bavarian cream with caramel cream and a touch of menthol for coolness. I brought it home and added my own nic, shook it up and put a bit in my Theorem. Ughhh! It tasted like feet. It was horrible. I tried another tank and it was no better. Maybe if I let it mellow for a couple of weeks it will be somewhat palatable.

Oh well, it was only $10.50.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'm guessing it is the Bavarian Cream that is the offending ingredient. Dairy type (creams, custards, butters, milks) use components that can give the taster a sense of "dirty socks" especially at higher percentages. In addition to this; some individuals are much more sensitive to this than others.

You can try parking it in a cupboard with the top off for 24 hours and then retaste. If that doesn't do it; cap it and put it away for 3-4 weeks. Sometimes an extended rest can help to calm things down. If that doesn't work then it is probably a lost cause. (Or you could try diluting with some unflavored base (PG/VG/nic at your preferred ratio and percentage. But if you try that I would only do about a 10 mL test size first before I wasted more product on the whole thing.)

Do you know what brands of flavor concentrates you used and at what percentages?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
What kind of percentages?
I use a Bavarian Cream and have found it pretty flexible - good with fruits or light tobaccos as a "creamy sweet" addition. I did have a bad try with something Caramel...

Along with flavoring strength, what VG %, and how do you vape - - flavoring percentage (along with nic) often go lower for higher watts/lower resistance...

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What kind of percentages? ...

:thumb:

If I take my BEST DIY Recipe (a 7 Flavoring TastyFinger Clone that took over a Year to perfect) and I double the Percentages, I go from a 5 Star e-Liquid to something tastes like a Chemical Solvent.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
:thumb:

If I take my BEST DIY Recipe (a 7 Flavoring TastyFinger Clone that took over a Year to perfect) and I double the Percentages, I go from a 5 Star e-Liquid to something tastes like a Chemical Solvent.

You'd think it would be twice as good, but doubling the flavor only works in chocolate milk (the kind you drink).

I've learned that if the discussed range is 2% to 5% on a flavor I need to start at 1% to 2% and go from there. Or, at least get info from multiple threads and forums and take the low road in average flavor percentage. I once screwed up on an FA Desert Ship recipe and tried to dilute it by half and then fourths. I finally poured out four 50ml bottles and started again at 1% and it's good.

Last edited:

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
What kind of percentages?
I use a Bavarian Cream and have found it pretty flexible - good with fruits or light tobaccos as a "creamy sweet" addition. I did have a bad try with something Caramel...

Along with flavoring strength, what VG %, and how do you vape - - flavoring percentage (along with nic) often go lower for higher watts/lower resistance...
I really don't know the percentages of the actual flavors. The juice bar has 70/30 vg/pg with flavor added. I mixed 40% bavarian cream with 40% caramel cream and 10% menthol. I tried this route because it was cheap. A 50ml bottle of juice for $10.50.

In the future I am going to stick with my own DIY recipes. I have made a pretty good vanilla-butterscotch juice myself actually for less money. I used Nicvape concentrates but I am switching to Flavor West concentrates because I can get them way cheaper than Nicvapes.

Reactions: DaveP

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
In the future I am going to stick with my own DIY recipes. I have made a pretty good vanilla-butterscotch juice myself actually for less money. I used Nicvape concentrates but I am switching to Flavor West concentrates because I can get them way cheaper than Nicvapes.

I'd say your thinking is correct to get flavoring concentrates and do your own mixing with your own bases. It's difficult trying to figure out correct amounts to blend together when you don't even know what flavor percentages the B&M used in those 70/30 premixed single flavor concoctions.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
40% flavoring of 2 different creams each?
I am totally wild .... guessing that the OP is/was using pre-blended mixes and not flavor concentrates. I have seen another post from a different member that was sharing something similar. I may be completely wrong (I'm good at that... ask my exes :lol:).

Reactions: DaveP

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I am totally wild .... guessing that the OP is/was using pre-blended mixes and not flavor concentrates. I have seen another post from a different member that was sharing something similar. I may be completely wrong (I'm good at that... ask my exes :lol:).

That was also my assumption.

Reactions: IDJoel

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
I am totally wild .... guessing that the OP is/was using pre-blended mixes and not flavor concentrates. I have seen another post from a different member that was sharing something similar. I may be completely wrong (I'm good at that... ask my exes [emoji38]).
You are correct. Pre-blended, not concentrate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
If you want an easy solution. Get yourself some plain unflavored base slightly above what you normally vape and use any of these flavors at 10%. There good and they mix easily. Lets say you usually vape 12mg juice if you can find 15mg use that. The 10% flavor added will bring you into the 12mg vaping ballpark.

There are many places that sell unflavored base. I just can't come up with any recommendations now. I'm sure someone will come along and give you some recommendations where to buy.

If you feel more adventurous you can buy separate bottles of PG, VG and NIC solution and mix your own base in any combination you like (50/50, 25/75, 75/25, 80/20 etc...), using a good e-juice calculator such as this one.

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

That route will save you lots of money.

Make Your Own DIY Eliquid/Juice and Candy

If you want to know more about DIY read my blogs.

ECF http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dannyv45.130984/

DIY is not that difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
If you want an easy solution. Get yourself some plain unflavored base slightly above what you normally vape and use any of these flavors at 10%. There good and they mix easily. Lets say you usually vape 12mg juice if you can find 15mg use that. The 10% flavor added will bring you into the 12mg vaping ballpark.

There are many places that sell unflavored base. I just can't come up with any recommendations now. I'm sure someone will come along and give you some recommendations where to buy.

If you feel more adventurous you can buy separate bottles of PG, VG and NIC solution and mix your own base in any combination you like (50/50, 25/75, 75/25, 80/20 etc...), using a good e-juice calculator such as this one.

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

That route will save you lots of money.

Make Your Own DIY Eliquid/Juice and Candy

If you want to know more about DIY read my blogs.

ECF http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dannyv45.130984/

DIY is not that difficult.
I am already there. I started with 16 oz of unflavored 50/50 base and added concentrate and nic to it and I was happy with the results. So happy in fact that I then bought 32 oz of VG and 32 oz of PG and 48 oz total of five different flavor concentrates. I now have a great ADV that I call Butterscotch Custard or Flan. It actually tastes like a Milky Way Simply Caramel candy bar. Delicious, creamy and cheap too.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I mixed Bavarian cream with caramel cream and a touch of menthol for coolness.

Maybe its the menthol? either too much or does not go well with cream and caramel. Maybe you were going for a mint candy type. Maybe try even less of peppermint instead of menthol.

Reactions: Dixie1954

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Today I went to a local B&M that has a DIY juice bar. For $10.50 you can mix up your own 50ml bottle of juice from dozens of flavors that they have on hand. I mixed together some Bavarian cream with caramel cream and a touch of menthol for coolness. I brought it home and added my own nic, shook it up and put a bit in my Theorem. Ughhh! It tasted like feet. It was horrible. I tried another tank and it was no better. Maybe if I let it mellow for a couple of weeks it will be somewhat palatable.

Oh well, it was only $10.50.

I'd have to say it's probably the menthol.

I use TFA Koolada, but only in fruit mixes. Found from experience it's absolutely vile in anything with cream or yoghurt flavour in. It's tastes, as you say, like moldy socks. I made a blueberry peach yoghurt with only 1% menthol once, tried after 2 days, horrible. Steeped for another week, still vile. Left it for a month, horrendous.

Chalked it up to experience and poured it away.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I really don't know the percentages of the actual flavors. The juice bar has 70/30 vg/pg with flavor added. I mixed 40% bavarian cream with 40% caramel cream and 10% menthol. I tried this route because it was cheap. A 50ml bottle of juice for $10.50.

Sounds like you are on the way to success. Start low and increase flavor slowly until you find the sweet spot. You can always use a big bottle of unflavored nic, PG, and VG to dilute a flavored mix that's too strong if you overdo the flavor. You can also add a little more flavor if it's too weak. The more you DIY the more you develop a feel for those things.

As everyone says, keep a notebook with recipe percentages on each mix with comments on the outcome. I've failed to do that a number of times and was clueless about the mix that turned out great after steeping. Those are the ones you want to repeat, but have to start over again to get it right! You can't depend on bottle labels because they get trashed when the bottle is washed and used again.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
Here you go. The flavor percentages may seem high, but I think my taste buds have died after half a century of smoking cigs.

This is for 50/50-PG/VG
PG-17%
VG-48%
FW Butterscotch-15%
FW Vanilla Custard-5%
FW French Vanilla-5%
Sweetener to taste-I use about 1 drop per 5ml
Nicotine to your preference-I do 3mg/ml for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread