Vaping for nicotine advantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
I'm a university professor (neuroscience), and in many of my classes I have extolled the virtues of nicotine when divorced from smoke. Having followed the vaping forums for several years, and watching various websites for adverse effects, I have finally decided to take my own advice and begin vaping to reap the benefits of nicotine. I am 59 years old and haven't smoked a cigarette since April 12, 1972 (after smoking from 7th grade and throughout high school). Many of my friends think I'm nuts, but they can't really dispute the science that strongly suggests that nicotine, especially in older individuals, improves cognitive performance, reduces the probability of Alzheimer's onset, improves memory (especially in reducing those 'senior moments' when you can't get the word out you are looking for), and reduces 'time to sleep' at bedtime. I'm in good shape, physically, and except for a small; increase in heart rate and blood pressure immediately after vaping, the effects are transient (last about 45 min - 1 hr), and don't seem to be detrimental. I vape 5-8 drags about 4 times a day, and I generally don't vape before noon, so I'm probably clearing most of the nicotine (assuming a 2-3 hr half life) daily.

I have been vaping for about a month and I have observed some phenomenological effects that I didn't anticipate, the most dramatic of which is the increase in ethanol-induced euphoria (alcohol buzz) after a few drinks. When I quit smoking 40-some years ago, I did so without any withdrawal symptoms, but I think quitting (I was smoking almost 2 packs a day at the time) was easy because there didn't seem to be much reason to smoke (i.e., I don't think I ever observed euphoria strengthening back then, but in retrospect, with my cigarette usage being so high at the time, I was probably nicotine saturated so the contrast effect, may not have been apparent).

This past month, I have recorded how many "senior moments" I had in my lectures, and in casual conversation, and they averaged about 1.8/day. This coming semester I intend to vape before each lecture and compare my memory lapses when nicotine stimulated to what I observed this past semester. I know this is not a real experiment, but I think it will be interesting even if I even experience a placebo effect.

Anyway, does anybody else here vape for similar reasons?

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
My daughter and I quit smoking, cold turkey, around 8 years ago. We started vaping a couple of years ago when the desire to start smoking again became almost overwhelming. Vaping has quelled the urge to smoke, and we are still successfully ex-smokers.

I have cut the nicotine in the eliquids that I get for myself from 18 mg to 12 mg. Eventually, I may go down a bit further. I have made the personal decision to continue to vape nicotine for the reasons outlined in the OP. My mother had Alzheimer's. No one should have to go through that.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
Just this week I am going back to nicotine after over two years without. I am starting with 1.5mg for similar reasons. I find I cannot get a sentence out of my mouth with the duh moment. I also have been very anxious lately. I'm going to try this very low mg in the mornings and see if it helps with the way I have been feeling. I don't know if 1.5 will help any since it's so low. I originally used 6mg a few years ago but quit because it was making me dizzy. I don't really want to go back to being dependent on nicotine. I have no urge to smoke, vaping is enough so that's not the problem. I am just feeling the need for contentment and I am hoping this helps.

Reactions: mauricem00

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
When I quit smoking 40-some years ago, I did so without any withdrawal symptoms, but I think quitting (I was smoking almost 2 packs a day at the time) was easy because there didn't seem to be much reason to smoke (i.e., I don't think I ever observed euphoria strengthening back then, but in retrospect, with my cigarette usage being so high at the time, I was probably nicotine saturated so the contrast effect, may not have been apparent).

I'm going to admit I was pretty sure your post was some form of troll, but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say:

1. A lot of people find their first time quitting nicotine easier than the second. I quit for a year and it was no problem; the 2nd time felt almost impossible. Basically, being able to quit once at a younger age doesn't mean it'll be that way when you're older.

2. Hypertension and closing off of blood vessels is a real thing -- nicotine is closer to caffeinne than methamphetamines, but you're going to increase your risk of bad stuff. Strokes, etc.

3. Like caffeinne, nicotine can give mental boosts, though in terms of studying & such but it isn't some wonder drug and you sorta have to be on it when storing information and then on it when you're trying to retrieve the information. Where I do think people self-medicate with it is with ADD/ADHD, as all stimulants seem to help that a bit.

4. I'm really unfamiliar with information about nicotine helping to unwind before sleep, or staving off alzheimers and such and would be interested in links to the papers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I quit smoking and started vaping primarily because vaping is cheaper and I can do it indoors; the fact that I've had asthma for 30 yrs is in there somewhere too, but it wasn't the first reason that got me interested in vaping. Because I do have asthma, at some point I may seriously weigh the many benefits of vaping and nicotine use against asthmatic symptoms, but given that one of my grandmothers had Alzheimers and the other grandmother had geriatric senile dementia, and that I've suffered variously from something like "ADD" my whole life, any asthmatic symptoms would have to be pretty severe before I will consider quitting nicotine or vaping entirely.

Also the fact that I smoked for 39 yrs -- 3/4 of my entire life -- means that quitting vaping might put me at risk of returning to smoking, no matter how many years I've been smoke-free -- much as even one drink could jeopardize my 22 yrs of sobriety. I'm just that kind of person.

Andria

Warpigs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
USA
I quit smoking and started vaping primarily because vaping is cheaper and I can do it indoors; the fact that I've had asthma for 30 yrs is in there somewhere too, but it wasn't the first reason that got me interested in vaping. Because I do have asthma, at some point I may seriously weigh the many benefits of vaping and nicotine use against asthmatic symptoms, but given that one of my grandmothers had Alzheimers and the other grandmother had geriatric senile dementia, and that I've suffered variously from something like "ADD" my whole life, any asthmatic symptoms would have to be pretty severe before I will consider quitting nicotine or vaping entirely.

Also the fact that I smoked for 39 yrs -- 3/4 of my entire life -- means that quitting vaping might put me at risk of returning to smoking, no matter how many years I've been smoke-free -- much as even one drink could jeopardize my 22 yrs of sobriety. I'm just that kind of person.

Andria

Like any addiction. Once an addict always an addict.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Oh crap! I smoked for 40+ years and still suffer from CRS! I quit the cigs 6 months ago when I started vaping 18 mg juice and my wife would tell you my CRS has certainly not improved. It scares the bejeebers out of me where the CRS might be if I gave up nic altogether! Uh, where was I going with this?????

Oh, yeah! And the essential tremors are still becoming more bothersome.....and now I have to give up eating peas!

:vapor:

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
mosspa, welcome to the vaping world. I think you're on the right track and hope you have a pleasurable and profitable experience. Regarding your "euphoria," I think it is pretty well known that nicotine does produce a mild euphoria--that is one reason some of us love it so much. And the "drunkenness"--that is a common reaction most people have when they first start using and it will pass as you build up tolerance. I will be interested to hear the results of your experiment. I know as an older person myself, I have no doubt that nic helps me in a number of areas, plus its so damn enjoyable.

Reactions: Mike P

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
There's silly stuff about this forum as in all things, but while I'm thinking about it forums like this have really opened my eyes as to the broad swath of people that have gotten into vaping for their own reasons. On the news its always some hipster or cloud chaser or tax dodger or the fear that it'll "normalize smoking's image", and the people at the margins who vaping has helped immeasurable with their health are ignored and not necessarily in people's awareness.

I really, really appreciate people sharing like the last few posts, both because it widens my awareness & people that much older than me usually have butterscotch candies they're willing to share.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
What fun is this! Welcome professor. Please check in regularly. I'm well along in life too, smoked most of those years, stopped a couple times for years and started again, ugh. 2 1/2 months ago started vaping. 3 weeks since the last cig. I was incurable and this was just too easy. It's not about quitting, its about oontrol.

Please consider doing this experiment for us sometime (for the benefit of mankind I meant to say). Pick a time that's convenient and try to stop vaping for 3 or 4 days and report withdrawal symptoms if any. I read about a study where a bunch of never smokers were on nic patches for six months and when the patches ended none reported withdrawal symptoms. You were a smoker in the past so you might be more likely to have withdrawal symptoms but it would be interesting to hear your experience.

Oh and Lake Forest College '71 Philosophy--Ethics

Here are a few observations that might answer what you asked in your post. I'm so new to vaping and the cigarette issue that the priority is to stay a way from cigs but I do notice, my personality at work has changed. I'm more relaxed, more professional, more focused, more alouf from people's head trips. It was always hard to yank my chain but now it's nearly impossible. My perception is I have more nic in my system now than when I smoked (several of us vape and that's being tolerated).

Another thing I notice is vaping seems to have no effect on my motor balance, which cigs did. This is an issue for me because a hobby of mine is motorcycle skills riding which does not mean stunts and tricks but slow balance maneuvers. Since starting to vape there has been a noticable bump up in my fine balance ability on the bike. Did that come from taking away the bad things in cigs or can nic make a positive contribution to the balance system, visual, neural, vestibular.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Like any addiction. Once an addict always an addict.

Especially with stuff like smoking and drinking; they're so ubiquitous. Nobody (well nobody sane!) sits around snorting up [whatever] on a regular basis, but smoking and drinking both get to be that friendly [legal] presence that's right there to hand; very hard to break that kind of attachment, and once broken, worth maintaining the break by any means necessary.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have definitely noticed the increased brain farts since my last cancer stick. Just going to have to figure out how to work with it.

That's my natural state -- my husband says being married to me is as good as having a boat, because I'm a little dinghy. :D That's why I've gone up in nic level, since I first started vaping about 10 months ago; it really does seem to help me be more organized and effective. At 6mg, I chainvaped; at 11mg, not so much; I can put it down and get things done. One thing I love is cooking, which requires a very high level of attention, organization, and timing -- all of which, nicotine helps me with.

Andria

Reactions: MaxwellPink

mosspa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Bonita Springs, FL, USA
First, I assure you that I am not a troll, so thank those of you who who supposed I am for contributing here, anyway. There's a lot to respond to (I probably shouldn't have waited so long to come back here.. I never realized that this many people would respond to this thread).

I'm about half way through the spring semester, and have been impressed with the effects of vaping on my oral delivery of my lectures. Thus far, I have been observing about a 76% decline in my 'pauses' and 'senior moments':) Vaping immediately before sleep seems to shorten my latency to fall asleep, although I acknowledge that this may just be a placebo effect. However, I am certainly not adding to my already existing insomnia by vaping at night.

I started using Vuse e-cigs, but the cost was quite high. I then ordered some UnFlavored nicotine base (48mg 75% PG/25%VG)) from MyFreedomSmoked.com) along with a Beginners kit and I'm vaping it undiluted (that's about the concentration in the Vuse product). This has been serving my needs well.

Also, I took a three week break from vaping over the break between semesters and I experienced absolutely NO withdrawal effects, which doesn't surprise me since there really isn't any reliable evidence that nicotine produces physiological dependence (I'll elaborate on this later if there are questions, but read [Google 'discover magazine nicotine'] for an article that gives an accurate assessment of what, and why, I believe the way I do... BTW, in the lab I could never get rats to reliably self-administer nicotine, even after infusing them with it for 90-days in anticipation of a 'withdrawal' response)

I have created a 19 kb zip file with 20 abstracts and citations related to nicotine and neurodegenerative diseases (mainly Alzheimer's and Parkinson's) but I can't seem to be able to upload it (Help please ... I 'Managed Uploads' selected the file from my disk, uploaded it, and then nothing happened... it didn't upload).

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread