When will subohm and high wattage mania end? And what trend will replace ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The conversation in this thread alone shows the second point not to be true, although I agree with your first point. There must be a market for a good efficient mini with a decent PCC. There are still folks out there that don't want to carry around e-cigs that look like fountain pens, sonic screwdrivers, lightsabres or a small Walkman™ cassette player!

I suspect you may be right & if my experiences so far are anything to go by, I won't be going sub ohm any time in the foreseeable.

Flavour over clouds any day for me.
If I may......

There are plenty of us who actually use all types of different mods. For me, it depends on the flavor I am vaping. I DIY my own ejuice and have a healthy variety of different ejuices I enjoy. The stigma of sub ohming has been given a bad name by a few very young groups who are into clouds contest. This is really not representative of the larger part of the vaping community.

It is possible to get flavor and clouds from all styles of vaping. Just because a coil ohm is under 1.0 or mods go as high as 300w(gawd who needs that) does not mean they have to be used in any particular way.
i.e. I use a pico which is capable of 75w. I don't think I have ever been above 25w or so. The melo tanks that I use have stock coils of 0.3 and 0.5 ohm (and more if you are into tc). But just because the recommended wattage use is high doesn't mean you have to go there. I have a very nice grape flavor that I am using with a 0.98 ohm coil at 15 watts. In terms of vv that is only around 3.85 volts. And another one I have a 0.47 ohm at 21.7watts which is around 3.19v. The standard volts we all started on with the pen type mods were always at 3.2 - 3.7 v. We didn't have much of a choice then.

So don't cheat yourself out of a great vape because of some misinformation or stigma of cloud chasers.

:)

Last edited:

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
I am now an occasional user of an ELeaf iJust Mini with a 0.75Ω atty (OK it belongs to my other half, but she lets me have a go on it), so technically I do go sub ohm on occasion. With a seriously reduced (compared to what I use in my pipes & minis) nicotine content & the air holes closed, I get a very enjoyable, flavoursome, not stupidly cloudy vape, somewhat reminiscent of my all time favourite device (with a touch more vapour admittedly).

So I can see that with the correct set up for your preferences, it is possible to have a moderate vape with sub ohm devices.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If I may......

There are plenty of us who actually use all types of different mods. For me, it depends on the flavor I am vaping. I DIY my own ejuice and have a healthy variety of different ejuices I enjoy. The stigma of sub ohming has been given a bad name by a few very young groups who are into clouds contest. This is really not representative of the larger part of the vaping community.

It is possible to get flavor and clouds from all styles of vaping. Just because a coil ohm is under 1.0 or mods go as high as 300w(gawd who needs that) does not mean they have to be used in any particular way.
i.e. I use a pico which is capable of 75w. I don't think I have ever been above 25w or so. The melo tanks that I use have stock coils of 0.3 and 0.5 ohm (and more if you are into tc). But just because the recommended wattage use is high doesn't mean you have to go there. I have a very nice grape flavor that I am using with a 0.98 ohm coil at 15 watts. In terms of vv that is only around 3.85 volts. And another one I have a 0.47 ohm at 21.7watts which is around 3.19v. The standard volts we all started on with the pen type mods were always at 3.2 - 3.7 v. We didn't have much of a choice then.

So don't cheat yourself out of a great vape because of some misinformation or stigma of cloud chasers.

:)

Yup. A subohm setup for me is not about the clouds, it's about the flavor and easy draw. Do I get some cloud? Sure, but that's not my focus. I also almost always use TC, which is not, IMO, all that useful for low watt "mtl" type use (unless you're really really afraid of vaping your tank dry).

I also still use stuff like my Triton mini with a higher nic juice for those times I want small and stealthy without a noticeable cloud. I could even look at some of the new pod systems to use for exactly the same reason.

It's all good, and I certainly prefer having choice in vape style to fit the situation rather than limiting myself to a single solution for all my vaping.

lightandmind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Columbus, OH
What the future look like? Imho, ceramic or other non-wick atomizers that are completely washable & renewable. Batteries that last for days, never need replaced, (you probably won't even be able to see or access them), and charging done either wirelessly, or converted from motion by being inside your pocket. The future!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Popular touring bands that stay together for years will tend to see the audiences age with them. What vape style people settle on may mostly be about what was happening in the first few years they were vaping. I've settled on devices, liquid and vaping style that probably won't change for as long as I'm vaping. I'm not a trendy kind of guy anyway, never have been. The same is probably true for a lot of vapers.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
I started on a 1.8 ohm coil at 10 watts in my Nautilus Mini. I then moved to a 1.2 ohm coil at 16 watts on a Subtank Nano. I then went to a .5 ohm coil on a Subtank Mini at 25 watts. I'm now using a Cleito and Baby Best both with .4 ohm coils at 45 watts and I've tried the. 15 ohm coil at 55 watts as well. I might eventually go back to a .5 ohm coil at about 25-30 watts but I don't think I'll be going back to the tootle puffer thing anymore. I pulled out and filled my Nautilus Mini a few weeks ago and I couldn't deal with the restrictive airflow.

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hey family,

Subohm mania is in full effect as the local vape shop has All equipment dedicated to this. The highest nicotine level they go to is 12mg!!. They looked at me funny when I requested 48mg to go with my 12 watt vape

I made an honest attempt at trying to like subohm but I honestly don't like it in the least.
Large air flow equals much less flavor
High wattage equals much less flavor to me.

When do you think companies will stop the obsession with who has the highest wattage and instead focus on other things like improving atomizers and cartridges and other things that go into a great vape.

Any thoughts would be great!!

(And am I the only tootie puffed out there that likes 15 watts and high nicotine ? )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I share your feelings on the matter.. I am a lover of throat hit, and only high nic provides that.. Even with 12, I get zero TH when using a high airflow sub ohm device (but it does want to make me pass out, so i lowered it to 6). I do it more for fun and cloud chasing, but I still rock my nautilus with the mini triton coils at home plenty of the time. White cloud sell ultra high nic ready to vape, some pretty decent flavours too. Try the bora bora tobacco even at 36, it's got some mega punch. Have some now in my 1.8 ohm naut at 11.8 watts (the nautilus bvc coils). It seems to me in some ways, the cloud chasing sub ohm crowd enjoy the art of the cloud and are always looking for bigger and better, but don't care about flavour as much or throat hit. Another tank I am really into at the mo one called the micro TFV4 by smok, which has 1.2 and 1.8 MTL coils that go to wattages previously reserved for sub ohm. 24 mg in those is - um. - strong to say the least.
Did you try 24mg in the 1.2 ohm mini triton coils? That combo is also very strong, but they need about 18 watts minimum to perform.

Reactions: David Wolf

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
A few weeks ago I had another trip for work, I decided to try my gf's old spheroid bc it uses filler. A couple of years ago I remember it being one of the best atty's, I'm sure I could possibly get used to it but it's just not satisfying anymore.
We talked a little about this and my experience was somewhat the reverse. As I moved away from the mtl world into subohm, after awhile I realized how unsatisfying it was for me in many categories (flavor, juice consumption, battery consumption, etc).

I went back to MTL style vaping and it is truly the style I find satisfaction with.

And it's been fantastic because I'm snagging up all these Uber high end atties of just 1-3 years ago for pennies :) and stocking up!

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
I was looking around for a customized lipo box mod yesterday (I was going to go with a Boss box, but I've spent too much recently lol and had to pass...found an excellent replacement) and during my search, I came upon some ridiculous builds, most of which were sold out, but one stacked lipo mosfet protected box stood out...it was called the Berserker, 6S MAXAMPS (12.6V!!!) mod that at it's max output build of .15, hit you with 1,058W lolol 90a!!!

I couldn't even imagine...that would cook my lungs in a single DTL. I thought 200w was hot, but really? They had other hot boxes as well that maxed at a "paltry" 354w...I'm still giggling.

Last edited:

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
We talked a little about this and my experience was somewhat the reverse. As I moved away from the mtl world into subohm, after awhile I realized how unsatisfying it was for me in many categories (flavor, juice consumption, battery consumption, etc).

I went back to MTL style vaping and it is truly the style I find satisfaction with.

And it's been fantastic because I'm snagging up all these Uber high end atties of just 1-3 years ago for pennies :) and stocking up!
That's the truth. I'm def. glad to see the flippers gone.

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
Wow! I just bought a 4 battery mod and I thought that was excessive! I use it only at home for attempting new builds and as a desktop mod and it still hasnt gone above 50W. I couldnt imagine holding something with 6 cells inside let alone needing that kind of range for wattage!
Yeah my RX300 has only gone up to 90 watts

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread