When will subohm and high wattage mania end? And what trend will replace ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swaglife81

Apr 16, 2017
I know this post hasn't been active for a few months but thought I would give my input and seeing how 2017 is going so far.

I started with the Nautilus 2 as my first quit smoking mod. I absolutely hated MTL. Since went to a smok Baby and love it. Nothing crazy on wattage and nothing over 40 Watts regardless of coil.

It's safe to say there is a new trend I think or going to a new trend. It's a mix of both.

I see the popularity going to these lower/mid wattage sub ohm tanks. The 25-50 watt efficient setups. Just like today's cars everybody wants great gas mileage with available power. So makers of vapes are getting better. Longer lasting pre built coils, sure some people like working on RTAs but just like cars non maintenance long lasting fuel injection replaced the carb setup making it almost non existent. This is just my prediction in the vape world

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Hopefully it will go back to a time when people were just happy to have a tank where you could truly taste your juice. For that reason I like gennies and the Kabuki Tank.
I like using a 50/50 juice at 18-45mg.
It just doesn't taste as good when it's in a sub ohm high temp, making a hot cloud for my money. Just put jooz in the Nautilus2 Tank...not bad!
C.B.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I cant really go over 15watts or higher than 4.0v. I get a strong over heated taste and cough. On a mech I dont enjoy resistances lower than .60 and even that is not great for me on certain liquids.

What we all need to focus on is NOT "labeling" each other and pointing fingers and blaming "them" ( whoever is not vaping like "me" mentality.) Its like the old driving speed thing. Remember ? Idiots were those that drove slower than "me" and maniacs were the ones that drove faster. It would be such a shame if all this banter ended up with either vaping being out lawed or the only thing that was legal was something that any vaper felt uncomfortable using or sending people back to smoking.

Like everything in life , certain thing become "fads" and sooner or later we all mature and do whatever the subject is for ourselves and just enjoy.

"Tootlers" complain they cant find anything, well, really there is LOTS if you just look around. THe KFL is STILL around. If you like that , there are quite a few MTL atties that are ignored. How many amazing GUS phenomenons are on the market not being bought at "given away " prices. THere are many supposed MTL atties, that I did not like because they had too much air, and many whining about how the new "whatever" is not like a KFL. So why not buy the KFL? Who cares if its not "IN" there are tons of great clones, clone parts and genuine. Hell didnt Svoemesto actually re manufacture the classic KFL lite again? People were whining about how they could not find it, so they launched it again, and no one bought it cause its too expensive but people are paying 200 for new RTAs that really are not that different?

What is sad is that many who want to stop smoking are being sold the big cloud, hot atties and high power mods who get over whelmed by it, or its too much for their lungs and give up.

I enjoy a mid sized to large , dense creamy cloud, that by most would be considered tame, but the taste is there , for ME. I would hate it if I had to hide my vape preference for fear of being arrested or having it confiscated because we whined so much that it was taken from me.

Like others have said, if no one bought it, they wouldnt waste money making it for nobody.
Remember the term sub ohm really means anything under 1.0 My preference of .80 would have been shocking a couple years ago. I remember going into a vape store with my Saber Touch kicked , topped with an Odysseus RTA or BOGEs in a carto tank and turning heads with the clouds I was making.

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
A very similar thing happens in the mobile DJ community with speakers & lights. Everybody is happy with what they have, then somebody brings out a new model. Then everyone buys stuff from that manufacturer (not necessarily the new model) because brand X is the best thing since sliced bread & everything else is crap (even though they were perfectly happy with brand Y up until that point). A year or so down the line & brand Z brings out something new & suddenly brand X doesn't cut the mustard & everything by brand Z is the best.

All this time some of us chug along merrily using brands A, B or C which look & sound great, but aren't flavour of the month.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
@ToomManTexas & at Chels I generally vape the same, 10w in my Triton Mini & I vape 30w in my isub apex & that's the highest I ever go, I personally think mods are getting ridiculous. I get better battery life at lower wattage and don't need a 4 battery brick to power 100w for the day LOL!

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
anavidfan you are totally right, it's all personal opinion. I don't know why people feel the need to have to fit in and join the latest trends. I really don't give a damn that I vape at low watts an I'm not going to be trying too join cloud chasing competitions, I actually think it's really childish. I don't care if they can blow massive clouds, but again that's what they wanna do. No one can stop them, whatever keeps you off cigarettes is fine.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
I started on a Nautilus Mini at about 11w. I then moved to a Subtank Mini at 16w on the 1.2 coils. After that it was on to the .5 coils on the subtank at 25w. Now I use a Cleito and TFV8 Baby at 40-45w.

Just for fun I loaded up one of my Nautilus Minis with the same juice I had in my Cleito and I decided I couldn't go back to my old ways. Not enough airflow and the flavor was muted. IMO of course.

Anyway, all I know is that I haven't touched smokes in 2 years and that's by far the most important thing.

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
My two cents. Sub-ohm vaping does not equal less flavor. You need the right device. I have an Aromamizer Plus running in the 20 ml setup and it currently sits as my favourite atty. I am running the RX 300 because it has the 4 battery setup, to my knowledge, no other device other than Smok has a 4 battery device.

I am running stainless steel coils because they can run in either temp control or non temp control, depending on whether I feel like messing with TC.

I am running dual coil alien coils from advanced vape supply (they are $16 for two coils) and measure .1 ohms, clip the leads, screw into the holes, wick, wet, drop deck in, fill tank, all in less than 7 minutes. I get amazing flavour and I only vape at 60-80 watts. I should add, the airflow is almost completely closed, which gives me the ability to do direct lung hits.

I vape 60/40 PG/VG with 6 mg of nic. Plenty of throat hit (actually more than I currently want, going to make some tweaks at some point to my eliquid) and I get the nic kick I need. I cant imagine vaping 48 mg liquid, considering a standard cigarette is around 12 mg.

I am so conscious about flavour that I rewick every day. My favourite tank before the Aromamizer Plus? The hurricane...

Where I think the industry has a problem right now is battery life and juice prices. While these devices continue to use more and more juice (remember the days when 2-3 ml a day was considered normal?), juice prices have continued to sky rocket.

I have been ordering my juice from e-liq.com because they have, bar none, the best prices I have ever seen for liquid. It isnt even close. Around $20-30 for a liter (1000 millieters) (their pricing is a bit weird, flavour, nic content, and PG/VG ratio all affect the price slightly). Want a gallon (almost 4000 millileters)? Thats going to run you around $70.

Batteries are another problem. Instead of moving to 26650s or even larger capacity batteries, like a 32650 (about the size of a D battery but about 10% longer, with a capacity of around 6000 mah), we continue to just add 18650's. This creates giant mods that are much bigger than they need to be. What if we went back to tubes that used 2 stacked 32650s? About the size of an old flash light that used 2 D batteries (actually, probably shorter because the tank would be shorter than the light bulb bit was on the older flashlight), tanks could be 40 mm in diameter, which would mean that to get a 20 ml capacity for an all day vape, your tank wouldnt be nearly as tall. Yes, it would be a huge mod as far as length, but it would be much more comfortable to hold in the hand, and look less like a giant block.

Along the same lines of batteries, 2 amp charging and a C-type USB connector and a charging dock so I can just drop my mod on a dock to charge it (the USB port for those times when Im out of town and dont have the dock).

Oh, and can we get custom firmware? Open source it so people can get in there and really customize these devices. Trust me, the community has more time than these companies, and, more incentive to put as many features and functionality into a device as possible.

I want to fill my device at 7 AM with a fully charged set of batteries, go to work, go to the college campus after work, come home, do my homework and put it on the charger when I go to bed. I dont want to carry around extra juice, I dont want to carry spare batteries or USB battery packs. Blech. Give me a device that will work for 16-18 hours.

spainman

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2012
Memphis, TN
For a while now I've been too cheap to get into all the cloud chasing, and I've been sticking with my one button, pen style set ups like the Kanger sudvod and Joytech AIO. They do the job of keeping me off cigarettes, but I can't lie, going into local vape shops can make me feel like I need to step it up with my set up as I watch everyone with their personal fog machines lol, plus I'm an OG vaper around here, and the technology geek side of me makes me feel left behind. After the ego's I never got around to the mods or anything, either I didn't have the money, or when I have it I do something else with it. I now own the Smok v8 pen so this is my first jump into the massive cloud crowd, and I like it, but one of the beauties of vaping is the ability to do it almost anywhere (stealth if need be mind you), so a higher nic, lower output device will always be at hand. I have one device I can do at my desk (in moderation) and another I need to go outside to use.

Last edited:

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
For a while now I've been too cheap to get into all the cloud chasing, and I've been sticking with my one button, pen style set ups like the Kanger sudvod and Joytech AIO. They do the job of keeping me off cigarettes, but I can't lie, going into local vape shops can make me feel like I need to step it up with my set up as I watch everyone with their personal fog machines lol, plus I'm an OG vaper around here, and the technology geek side of me makes me feel left behind. After the ego's I never got around to the mods or anything, either I didn't have the money, or when I have it I do something else with it. I now own the Smok v8 pen so this is my first jump into the massive cloud crowd, and I like it, but one of the beauties of vaping is the ability to do it almost anywhere (stealth if need be mind you), so a higher nic, lower output device will always be at hand. I have one device I can do at my desk (in moderation) and another I need to go outside to use.
If mtl and high nicotine keeps you off the stinkies don't feel you need to cloud chase :)

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hey family,

Subohm mania is in full effect as the local vape shop has All equipment dedicated to this. The highest nicotine level they go to is 12mg!!. They looked at me funny when I requested 48mg to go with my 12 watt vape

I made an honest attempt at trying to like subohm but I honestly don't like it in the least.
Large air flow equals much less flavor
High wattage equals much less flavor to me.

When do you think companies will stop the obsession with who has the highest wattage and instead focus on other things like improving atomizers and cartridges and other things that go into a great vape.

Any thoughts would be great!!

(And am I the only tootie puffed out there that likes 15 watts and high nicotine ? )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a believer in vape what you like but the one thing I dislike about the high power cloud craze is some vape shops (brick and mortar and online) no longer giving folks decent options on higher nicotine or pg/VG juice ratios. Many new vapers don't even know they have an option for MTL low power vaping that's similar to how they smoked, they just get shoved to the latest cloud chucker coil of the day.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I've not tried pods yet, what do you think thus far?
Love/hate them haha. Love the flavor and stealthiness, love the satisfaction that's close to smoking cigs using high nic nic salts juices, hate the cost of the pods. I can rewick them but recoil is a pita and not practical. Also having to charge every day . But they have their place for me along with my tank mods.

Reactions: Skold

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
I'm a believer in vape what you like but the one thing I dislike about the high power cloud craze is some vape shops (brick and mortar and online) no longer giving folks no decent options on nicotine and pg/VG juice levels. Many new vapers don't even know they have an option for MTL low power vaping that's similar to how they smoked, they just get shoved to the latest cloud chucker coil of the day.
That's true! There are so many beginners going straight to an alien! Sure I like my setup but I'm not gonna be able to quit without am mtl setup, this zelos kit I got today definitely kills my cravings. I've gone back up to 18mg & will hopefully get off them dirty cigarettes again :)
I agree with you certainly that both options should be offered, people are going straight to a sub ohm setup. Using dodgy batteries an sometimes getting some aweful advice from their local shop :(

Reactions: David Wolf

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I'm a believer in vape what you like but the one thing I dislike about the high power cloud craze is some vape shops (brick and mortar and online) no longer giving folks no decent options on nicotine and pg/VG juice levels. Many new vapers don't even know they have an option for MTL low power vaping that's similar to how they smoked, they just get shoved to the latest cloud chucker coil of the day.

Even worse is the shops like mine that do have the MTL gear, even eGo pens and T3 tanks but, noting over 6mg nicotine unless you know to special request it ahead of time and, wait 3 days to get the juice you want in higher nicotine.

6mg is not enough for many to quit on MTL, not enough for a few on cloud bank mods. Used to be they had anything 0mg to 36mg, then the top dropped to 24mg, now it's 6mg except special request which costs more.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Love/hate them haha. Love the flavor and stealthiness, love the satisfaction that's close to smoking cigs using high nic nic salts juices, hate the cost of the pods. I can rewick them but recoil is a pita and not practical. Also having to charge every day . But they have their place for me along with my tank mods.
I like the idea of an icare but would like to find something with refillable pods.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
[QUO peTE="BlueMoods, post: 19607191, member: 42316"]Even worse is the shops like mine that do have the MTL gear, even eGo pens and T3 tanks but, noting over 6mg nicotine unless you know to special request it ahead of time and, wait 3 days to get the juice you want in higher nicotine.

6mg is not enough for many to quit on MTL, not enough for a few on cloud bank mods. Used to be they had anything 0mg to 36mg, then the top dropped to 24mg, now it's 6mg except special request which costs more.[/QUOTE]
My friend has started on an innokin endura t18 & that's got her off cigarettes, so proud of her. She's smoked for years

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I like the idea of an icare but would like to find something with refillable pods.
I hate the IC 1.1 coils in the icare line, they have a closed bottom, NO air flow through the coil so it basically heats the juice and vaporizes and spits as you draw in air from above the coil. Mine are no longer used, worst design of a coil ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread