10 Easy Ways YOU Can Help Fight The Ban!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEDJay

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
I'm in the process of making Business Cards for ALL forum members so that you can print them out and more easily explain what an "E-Cigarette" truly is and what it isn't. Hopefully it will be helpful in informing the general public about this new "alien" device that they're so afraid of and see it fit to want to ban just because they don't understand it.

I was going to make a thread about this, and will more than likely do so when my post count gets up some, but hopefully we've got a few artists in the forum that would be willing to contribute to the cause.

Also, I'm almost complete with a flier that I'm working on which is essentially a longer representation of the business card :)
My hopes for this is to display them in front of businesses where E-Cigarette users frequent, so that people know its "OK" to smoke them inside and there isn't anything to worry about.

Just trying to do my part in fighting the good fight for something we all love.

(PS) Will be signing this petition once I get done eating lol

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I just discovered e-cig's and after 24 years of smoking consider them to be a miracle. Now I'm reading all this about a potential ban! Even if the health risk to the user were equal to those of analogs the benefits posed by the lack of second hand smoke, fire danger, litter from butts and annoyance to non-smokers would be enough to promote the heck out of them rather than ban them. People need to realize what country their living in (referring to US residents) and first ask themselves whether they have a right to impose their judgment upon others prior to passing legislation which inhibits rights! The fact that I even need to be concerned about this is simply one more line on the long list of personal intrusions that would cause our nations original founders to roll over in their graves! And for those who chuckle to themselves over my saying that regarding something as seemingly silly as an electronic cigarette just remember someone else may have a good laugh over a freedom you once enjoyed until it was regulated or revoked!

I have read in multiple sources that George Washington was well known as having his own crop of marijuana and that Thomas Jefferson once wrote in a journal that some of the best times in his life were spent "sitting on the veranda smoking hemp and seeing what the eye could see". While I am in no way supporting pro-marijuana legislation with that statement I am pointing out to all those who read this that some of the most prominent men in our nations history would be criminals within our modern definition of freedom!

Consider your list of "ways to fight the ban" as good as done on my part!!

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I recently discovered this forum and have been tirelessly reading up on all of this controversy. There seems to be several groups that are trying to fight this, is there a MAIN organization? I am a Libertarian and try to fight for my rights the best I can. I just wrote to my senator questioning him on possible legislation in New York, but I would like to know if there is a main source of legal advice and possible political action. The tobacco lobbyist are probably hard at work trying to gain control of PVs if not get them banned and I think we should be working just as hard to insure that doesn't happen. Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

Darmeen

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
TX USA
I recently discovered this forum and have been tirelessly reading up on all of this controversy. There seems to be several groups that are trying to fight this, is there a MAIN organization? I am a Libertarian and try to fight for my rights the best I can. I just wrote to my senator questioning him on possible legislation in New York, but I would like to know if there is a main source of legal advice and possible political action. The tobacco lobbyist are probably hard at work trying to gain control of PVs if not get them banned and I think we should be working just as hard to insure that doesn't happen. Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to the forums! You will find these forums are one of the major nexus points for everything going on in the vaping world, many if not all of the vaping organizations out there have at least a member if not more as members here.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

Actually, we have not heard a peep in opposition out of the tobacco industry. The most vocal opposition has come from surprising (at least to me) sources. Back in Febrary or so of last year, the American Lung Association, American Heart Association, and the American Cancer Society teamed up with Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and issued a joint statement, asking the FDA to get rid of electronic cigarettes. So the FDA did its best to oblige. You probably know the rest of the story.

One of the most vocal and activitist opponents has been the U.S. Action Against Smoking and Health. The Tobacco Technical Assistance Consortium acts as a clearing-house for activism on tobacco control.

You might want to look at Tobacco Control Network
Tobacco Control Network

So, no there is no ONE organization on which efforts can be focused. Just ask yourself, which organizations claim that they want to protect me from smoking-related diseases? And you pretty much have the opposition.

Why? I've been trying to figure that one out for almost a year now. All I have come up with is that the leaders of these organizations are delusional. They firmly believe that if they just keep doing what they have been doing, eventually every smoker will quit. If you want to know how well that has been working during the last 20 years or so, just look at the statistics for prevalence of smoking.

They firmly have their head in the sand about the fact that some of us cannot stop using nicotine without paying a terrible price.

They also appear to believe that all use of nicotine leads inevitably to smoking. Everything is a "gateway" to them. You point out that Swedish snus is 99% less harmful than smoking and they claim that using snus is a gateway to smoking. Yet the research shows that 66% of Swedish men who use snus are former smokers. Their main opposition to electronic cigarettes is that it will lead the children into smoking real cigarettes. Every shred of evidence we have points in the opposite direction. Somewhere betwen 79 and 82% of ecig users are now former smokers.

But please don't bother them with the facts. Their mind is made up.

:evil:
*EOR* (end of rant)

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I disagree with the previous posting by Vocalek regarding TTAC, is that entity has very little influence on public policies or the news media. TTAC simply adopted the policy decision by Americans for Nonsmokers Rights.

Other than the FDA, the organizations (in the US) posing the greatest threats to e-cigarettes are ASH, CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA and ANR.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Are you willing to send an email and tell your story? A Canadian reporter is willing to do a followup if users send her their stories.

Read the story here.

Electronic cigarette sparks interest

Notice this at the end:

The Citizen would like to hear from readers who've used this new device and are willing to share their experiences and opinions. E-mail: btrick@pgcitizen.ca. This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

I wrote to her and she wrote back, telling me that she has only heard from three people so far. Come on! Fire up your email and write.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Elaine, now she has heard from at least four people. I sent her the following message:

I read your article with great interest and I understand that you are looking for comments from users of the electronic cigarette also know as a personal vaporizer.

I was a pack a day smoker for 46 years, I began using an electronic cigarette early in September 2009. Originally, I bought the electronic cigarette just to cut down on my smoking, not to quit, the more I used it, the less I smoked. After a couple of weeks, I began to dislike the smell and taste of cigarettes. In early October, I smoked my last cigarette and began using the electronic cigarette exclusively. Since then, my morning cough has disappeared, I can breathe better and I have more energy. I am still using the electronic cigarette and it has had no adverse effects on me. I would never have quit smoking, not after having smoked most of my life, without the "e-cig".

Drummel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
Sycamore, IL
I wrote this in another section last night, but I feel this has some merit here as well.
I know it's too late to truly bump this as its sticky, but so what? =D

Ok, I've done an exceptional amount of reading in the whole FDA fight in progress.... :confused::confused:

I'm not the most educated in the world, but.... lets simplify this and hit a point quickly....

First off, I've only been off analogs for 2.5 days now. The moment I got my PV I was happy to stick strickly with it.

* smoking cigarettes slows you down,smells bad on everything, stains, has a second hand smoke that offends AND can cause problems to others, makes you more tired, more difficult to breathe, fatigued, keeps you addicted to not only nicotine, but countless other EXTREMELY harmful chemicals..and its legal and approved, aside the indoor smoking ban, but that's where approved nicoderm and various other "approved" help quit devices WITH nicotine come back in... A step down program to help you quit *IF* you choose to step down, otherwise by ALL MEANS keep on buying our gum, our patch, it is nothing more than a "subscription" to nicotine (I say it this way because it's a guaranteed consistent income for the big boys..)

* Vaping PV's is relaxing, doesn't slow you down, doesn't feel as though breathing becomes restricted/harder, is calming, doesn't have a nasty smell or taste, doesn't stain your fingers, doesn't leave an offensive aroma, the blown out vapor at this known point is basically harmless, can keep you addicted to nicotine-but without the EXTREME list of other chemicals, and the FDA wants to lock it down....:confused:

I'm sure I missed a few things, but I'm angry now... I find something that allows me to keep my nicotine in check if I need it, otherwise I PACIFY myself with 0 nicotine and just vape for flavor. It's a recreational hobby, past time, whatever you'd care to call it. And they want to take it away, when I just found it?

Can you believe that after only 2.5 days of being analog free I'm actually SCARED to be stuck with going back?

What in the sam dickens are these people thinking? I don't give a good .......n about their money. *shakes a fist* Give us some g'damn freedom here.

If I died tomorrow I wouldn't hate any PV companies, or Tobacco companies. I did what I did by choice, I'm not amped up on some screwball drugs. I am not impaired, I can function, just as ALL of us vapers can. I swear they act like we're all a bunch of junkies, WTF about cigarettes??? If you consider what's in them you might as well lump the damn things with heroine...*sigh* :mad::evil::grr:

I'm going to find my mint.. I need to go relax :(

***** Yes I was upset, and still am.

Some use this to help quit smoking/vaping altogether, some use it to replace smoking, some even drop nicotine and just continue to vape for flavor..the positive list is endless when compared to analogs, I don't care what biased tests they perform. If they find bad chemicals it's either because they were testing a bad batch from China(go figure), or they intentionally add scare tactics. (It's more of an opinion then a fact, so take it with a grain of salt)

EDIT:: And another thing. No one is targeting kids all the sites even say they will not sell to minors, I don't care how "safe" it could be I wouldn't dream of offering a kid a cigarette, OR a PV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread