510 cart questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

enrogae

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Alabama
Yeah I get leakage and melted carts... with all sorts of attempted variations, including the factory carts. If I don't top off so much that it leaks, I get a burnt taste. If I top off enough to not get the burnt taste... I get leaks. If I drip 1 drop on the atomizer... I get leaks.

Whatever I do... if I want 2 hours between drags... the cart melts.

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
Yeah I get leakage and melted carts... with all sorts of attempted variations, including the factory carts. If I don't top off so much that it leaks, I get a burnt taste. If I top off enough to not get the burnt taste... I get leaks. If I drip 1 drop on the atomizer... I get leaks.

Whatever I do... if I want 2 hours between drags... the cart melts.

Did this happen the first day? Or after a while?
Maybe the different manufactures are to blame?
Where did you buy it? Can you return it? or has it been too long?

Mine is werking great, just like the Terapon video review said it would!

Sorry for your problems.

Robert

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I think you really need to make sure the batting isn't getting pushed down and it is staying wet. I didn't have any melty cart troubles until I tried to just drip with no batting in the cart (I hate carts) and thats when I melted one. I had plenty of fluid on the atty but I think if the walls of the cart aren't wet they can melt. I plan to look into the sanding mod since I really do prefer dripping and that might do the trick ( I also have a couple of 306 attys coming if that doesn't work).

BTW has anyone noticed a drop in flavor with the pinhole mod? I tried that once a while ago with a 4081 cart and noticed the same thing. I can't figure out why it would be and I don't think I have seen it reported anywhere, but that is now 2 different carts/kits its happened to me better vapor but less throat and no taste. Strange maybe I am making the hole too big. It doesn't happen with the straw, but it does for the pin hole.

Also, let people talk about the problems they are having. This fan boy stuff doesn't help anyone. Talk people through their issues but there is nothing more annoying than having people hide the flaws of a product or jump into every negative thread blaming the user and acting like the problems people are having don't exist. The 510 (or any e-cig) may be perfect for YOU but its not perfect.

youngll11

ECF Veteran
I have been having the exact same problems with my 510, and I've only had it for four or five days. After reading some of the earlier posts I just took my cart out and saw that the plastic on the side of the cart was actually melting...sweet. I have had the plasticy/metallic taste since I got it, it has never left. And I also have to top off frequently, even if the bottom 3/4 of the cart are still full of juice. If I don't, the taste becomes unbearable, and the fibers of the filling stick to the atty, usually so much so that the filling comes entirely out when i remove the cart.

I had no clue what to buy when I decided to go electronic, and decided on the 510 after seeing some awesome videos and reviews on this site. I am definitely a newbie, but I didn't want a device that had to be maintained after almost every drag (regardless of whether the cart was straw-modded or not). I have since ordered an 801 and 601 entirely due to their longer cart and battery life. I love the PCC for the 510, but after spending between $180-$200 on an unsatisfying product I think it's time I cut my losses and bench this device.

Corki2

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
USA, TampaBay, FL
I have had my 510 for a few days. I have not experienced any burning cart issues. A couple time when I tasted a burnt taste, I used a magnifying glass and saw a minute piece of polyester on the atomizer. This usually happens when I accidentally let the cart dry out too much and it stuck to the atomizer. Once I remove the tiny piece of polyester, the burning taste is gone. I use a brush pick to remove the polyester threads, it grabs them if you just brush it across the metal wick. You have to be careful that you don't pull the fiber wick stuff out accidentally though. I try to keep my carts really moist, I don't know if that helps keep my cart from burning. This may change when I get another batch of carts, it's possible that different carts may have something to do with it.

youngll11

ECF Veteran
so I just put my one working atty through a wash (let it soak in a pan of water, bring the water to a boil SLOWLY, leaving it in the boiling water for 30 secs to 1 min, take it out, let it cool, blow thru the batt side, let it sit for 10 mins before re priming and using) and the burnt plastic taste has gone down a bit. I am also using menthol ultra from smokey treats that really overpowers any other taste, so that may be another reason... however there is a definite reduction in vapor as well. Im hoping the atty is still a bit wet and after a night of draining it will preform better tomorrow. I did use a brand new blank cart filled with the menthol ultra and within three drags the filler strands were making their way up out of the cart and towards the atty. Don't know if they connected or not, but this is the exact problem I have been dealing with for the past 5 days. The cart had just been topped off!!!! So much work to keep this guy running...

Chorizo

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
IN
Yeah, I thought it was one faulty atomizer producing my burnt taste, but after using the new one for a few days, my carts seem to be melting again and I'm getting that gross taste again, yay. It seems like once the primer on the atty wears off and I have been using it for a few days, this starts happening again. Yuck. I don't really know what to do with this, I might have to get a different model. Pretty disappointing since otherwise, this one performs so well.

Diabolik

Jun 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario
I've been reading all about this for the past few days and now worry about my fate with the 510 (put in an order for one and waiting for it to arrive). I am curious though, would it be wise to cut a small triangular notch on the top and bottom of the cart? (where the melting seems to be occurring based on the consensus) I understand that the polyfill would need to be pushed down a little bit but does anyone thing this would be a potential fix and be willing to sacrifice a cart to try? Because it seems that the atomizer melts the parts of the cartridge closest to it meaning the plastic directly above and below it seems to melt... Just my two cents, hope I don't run into this problem.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I've been reading all about this for the past few days and now worry about my fate with the 510 (put in an order for one and waiting for it to arrive). I am curious though, would it be wise to cut a small triangular notch on the top and bottom of the cart? (where the melting seems to be occurring based on the consensus) I understand that the polyfill would need to be pushed down a little bit but does anyone thing this would be a potential fix and be willing to sacrifice a cart to try? Because it seems that the atomizer melts the parts of the cartridge closest to it meaning the plastic directly above and below it seems to melt... Just my two cents, hope I don't run into this problem.

Diabolik, I have tried cutting a notch is the location you described. It will help get more air flowing through the cart. But, sometimes it works against the design. If you have a cart that draws to heavily, this mod will help get the draw to become easier. Don't remove too much at this location or you will disturb the air flow too much

If you study the cart closely you will see that every aspect of the cart makeup is designed for optimum air flow accross the atomizer. Most cart burns are caused by too much heat. This can be caused by drawing too long, or drawing after the cart has too little liquid in it.

Kevin

newbutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
OK, I've been on the Joye 510 a few days shy of a month & I like it. I don't love it but I like it.My take so far:

A: They are juice hogs & you will be topping off often if you vape heavy:(
B: The cart will melt if you don't line them up &/or keep them topped off:(
C: The carts w/straw mod wick better & longer than standard(done rite):)
D: The carts wick & fill better if you take just a tad of the filler out;)
E: It takes about half a battery to get the funky taste out of a new atty8-o
F: The teabag thing works pretty good, but is a pain in the ...:(
G: The auto batts are worthless in the wind & while mowing or jamming:D
H: I like the whistle tips better than the round:thumb:
I: My tongue is not brown anymore:p
J: There is a wealth of info here:thumb:
K: Kreel is kinda mean to noobs, IMHO:rolleyes:
L: Carry 2 complete ecigs,cuz change carts will driving is dangerous8-o
M: Dripping or topping off while driving is frowned on:D

After all that's been covered on the 510, being a juice hot & attys running hot. I have to wonder about this Prodigy & making the 510 adapter.
Seems to me that extra power would be really hard on the attys & you'd be topping off every other drag.
Your thoughts

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
A: They are juice hogs & you will be topping off often if you vape heavy
I would think they are juice hogs because they produce so much vapor.

B: The cart will melt if you don't line them up &/or keep them topped off
I still haven't had this problem yet, and I have never topped one off before.
I don't even have my first order of juice yet, although I'm hoping today is the day.

E: It takes about half a battery to get the funky taste out of a new atty
Do you clean your atomizer before you use it?

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Just hang on Deadcat2, you will soon experience most of these things. I think newbutt is spot on.

There is an unsettled debate about cleaning the atomizers. I'm 3 weeks into using 3 atomizers without cleaning them. I switch between the 3 periodically and leave a moist cart attached when the atty is not in service. I'll see how long they will function.

Kevin

Taylor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
York, PA
You know what I have done and it works better? I think the cart on the 510's is just TOO overstuffed with material. I took a piece of my smaller cart filling the kind that just folds and is thinner and put it in my 510 and that works MUCH better.
Totally agree, a lot of the carts are way overstuffed.

I switch between the 3 periodically and leave a moist cart attached when the atty is not in service.

I always leave a filled cart attached to my spare attys. Doesn't everyone? Is there some reason maybe I shouldn't do that like rusting the atty or something? I never really thought about it until Kevin said that and now it's got me thinking that maybe not everybody does that and maybe there is a reason why....

Thoughts anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread