510 cart questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just hang on Deadcat2, you will soon experience most of these things. I think newbutt is spot on.

There is an unsettled debate about cleaning the atomizers. I'm 3 weeks into using 3 atomizers without cleaning them. I switch between the 3 periodically and leave a moist cart attached when the atty is not in service. I'll see how long they will function.

Kevin
Yeah, I've cleaned the new ones & they still have to be puffed on a while to kill the funk taste. That's on some extras I ordered w/ a red stripe. My 1rst ones are still going strong, but I also cleaned them too w/vodka & hot water. I think the key to that is letting them dry for 16 to 24 hrs as recommended on the manufacturers website. I don't remember seeing that in the instructions that came with the kit,but it is on the site.
Cheers,
NB

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
My take on the 510's
Cart must be re stuffed often and there is no better filler then the original. If it sticks to the atty, it is burned and needs re stuffed. If you can only get three drops when refilling, it needs re stuffed. The poly seems to be heated enough over time to harden on the top and it is just worn out. If you keep getting the burnt taste, the cart needs re stuffing.

Some carts are much loser on some attys then others and may leak at the connection. All carts are not created equal, they may fit a Janty and not a 510 and vice versa.

The bridges are not always in the center and may need a slight adjustment to keep from burning the carts. If you take long drags the edges may warp but not actually melt, this is probably not the burning taste that you are getting. Carts must be aligned and different attys have different sized bridges. Burning results in blisters on plastic and as I have not seen this I believe that they are only hot enough to warp and not actually put of fumes.

I think that the burning taste is the wick inside. I think that it may be made of acrylic as when burned it mostly disappears and leaves only a tiny black blob. Coke, peroxide, lemon juice and baking soda have no affect on any internal parts after 24 hour soaking. When enough wick is burned up the atty dies.

The more often you use a 510 the more often the liquid will not have enough time to wick to the atty bridge. My wife never gets the burning taste because she takes a few puffs and then lays it down for a while before she goes back and takes a few more. She can get 90% of the liquid out of a cart before it needs refilling. I vape constantly like I smoked and need to refill often, only getting about five to six drops in a cart. I must change my cart material every two days max before it quits working.

My cleaning now consist of a few 5 second burns without cart of puffing when smoke dissipates. For weekly cleaning I use PGA and soak for about thirty minutes, just to remove old juice from metal foam and get rid of funky tastes. I use PGA mostly because it dries in minutes.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I always leave a filled cart attached to my spare attys. Doesn't everyone? Is there some reason maybe I shouldn't do that like rusting the atty or something? I never really thought about it until Kevin said that and now it's got me thinking that maybe not everybody does that and maybe there is a reason why....

Thoughts anyone?
My experience is that carts dry out quite quickly when not plugged.

I even started a thread about it, which got maybe one response.
:lol:

Last edited:

xaxphaanes

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
salt lake, utah
man you guys most vape constantly i have had the 510 for about a week. the center of the atty is sometimes weird with different attys make sure to line em up and top off never had a real problem.I did notice when not aligned correctly they did get a little singed but simply adjusted and no further problems.straw mod works wonders for the 510 as well!

newbutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My take on the 510's
That all makes sense. I know when I get busy & can't vape constantly or when I have to cigs going at once, the carts last longer.

Questions: how do center the bridge without causing damage?
And what is PGA?

Thanks,
NB

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
My take on the 510's
Cart must be re stuffed often and there is no better filler then the original. If it sticks to the atty, it is burned and needs re stuffed. If you can only get three drops when refilling, it needs re stuffed. The poly seems to be heated enough over time to harden on the top and it is just worn out. If you keep getting the burnt taste, the cart needs re stuffing.

I agree with that. I have tried several different types of filler material but the original material is hard to beat. I am still using the original carts with the original filling from my first kit. It doesn't seem to wear out, it can be fluffed back to new condition simply by cleaning. All the paper products should be avoided, too many chemicals used in the paper making process.

I don't mess with correcting the mesh wick. It's purpose is to "wick" the liquid down to the heating element located in the center of the atty. All it has to do is contact the cart filler material.

Kevin

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
The only reason to try and adjust the metal mesh bridge is if it's WAY off center. I've had two atomizers (of about 15) have bridges that were bent too far to the side. I just grabbed the bridge with a pair of tweezers and GENTLY bent it back to the center. You have to be really careful if you decide to do this operation though, because you can easily break the bridge and kill your atomizer for good. Unless it's causing problems (burning carts no matter how you install them on the atomizer) I'd leave it alone. There's really no reason to be messing with it if all you're seeing is slight off center placement of the bridge.

newbutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Unless it's causing problems (burning carts no matter how you install them on the atomizer) I'd leave it alone. There's really no reason to be messing with it if all you're seeing is slight off center placement of the bridge.[/quote said:
Thanks Monk

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
For those of you that didn't get the PGA reference, it is Pure Grain Alcohol from the liquor store.
The bridge in a 510 is actually a separate piece, shaped like a Christmas tree covered with the mesh. It is pinched together to install or remove it from the atty. It is always off from left to right (while viewing as a vertical line)if it is off at all and may be moved that way by a misplaced cart as well. It is not dangerous to gently nudge it a little either way to center it with a paper clip.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I guess we did drift away from the original subject a little. But, the atomizer and cartridges are what makes the 510 stand out from the others. There's a lot to cover when it comes to getting the best performance. Talking about our experiences helps us learn more when we read responses from others.

Shadowdr, is PGA the best solvent for PG?

Kevin

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
For those of you that didn't get the PGA reference, it is Pure Grain Alcohol from the liquor store.
The bridge in a 510 is actually a separate piece, shaped like a Christmas tree covered with the mesh. It is pinched together to install or remove it from the atty. It is always off from left to right (while viewing as a vertical line)if it is off at all and may be moved that way by a misplaced cart as well. It is not dangerous to gently nudge it a little either way to center it with a paper clip.

Interesting. I didn't know it could be removed without breaking the atomizer. Good info!

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
Thanks, newbutt. In MHO also, I obviously can appear slightly on the mean/edgy side to noobies. For all you noobs out there, rest assured that I am really a nice guy. I post the way I do, calculatedly so, to grab the attention of the OP and to create focus on the initial problem(s)/question(s). As everyone knows, threads tend to wander. Not necessarily off topic, but wander they do. Too many great answers to the OPs question(s) go unnoticed because the sheer weight of responses are garbled with good and poor assessments, mixed in with good and poor advice.

The best advice I can give to 95% of the grievances with the 510 model is that nearly every single one - whether it's the taste, the burning cart, the leakage, the gurgling, the lack of consistant vapor, poor performance issues, etc - can all be directly related back to stuffing a cart correctly and successfully, using proper material, etc.. The stuffing/wick MUST fulfill it's mission, of not only holding the fluid, but transfering it to the atomizer at a desired rate of success. This, in and of itself, makes ALL the difference between a so-so pv (any 3 piece model) with issues, and a pv that rocks your socks off. I understand this because of trial and error. Stuffing a cart looks so easy, but it's an acquired skill that takes a lot of practice for the first few weeks/months of ownership. It should be done carefully with a fine attention to detail, and with the transference of liquid from the entire wick to the atomizer as the goal. Lumps, blockages, too tight, too loose, too much, too little, too long, too short, too thick, too thin - every conceivable detail, no matter how minute, must be addressed to create the cart for optimum performance. Once the perfect cart is created, properly filling it with ejuice becomes the next task. After cartbuilding becomes second nature, most all problems suddenly seem to vaporize along with a noob's favorite juice. :)

That is all.

EDIT -- Hope I sounded nicer. :)

Last edited:

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
Interesting. I didn't know it could be removed without breaking the atomizer. Good info!
It can be removed, but keep in mind that it was in place when the foam material was applied so it would tear it away from the other stuff. Not a good idea on a working atty.

I am not sure I understand the context of solvent. I like it because it does remove the juice from the wicking and no water is needed for rinsing. It removes all tastes and restores the ability to produce smoke if caused by stuff that didn't burn like it should.

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
A solvent in this context is just what you described, it removes the PG by desolving the PG residue. I will have to try and find a source for PGA locally. The common variety sold in drug stores is usually only 70%. I've tried that with limited success.

Kevin
You can get it at a liquor store, or in La. in most any store. It is drinkable and the common brand is Everclear, usually mixed with fruit punch it can really pack a wallop. I lived in New Orleans for eight years and remember seeing it at the 7-11, here you have to go to a liquor store. I don't think it is any better then Coke or Brew Rite but avoids the hassle of water and drying and leaves no bad after taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread