Status
Not open for further replies.

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
Working on this project as we speak. Iron is heating up right now to desolder the wire. If all goes well, or not,...will report back soon. Shouldn't take too long to get this one together.

As for getting the solder to stick...I have had that problem a few times. After researching, I found that if you tin the wire, you can then get the solder to stick. Going to test that out right now.....

Edit....boy was I wrong! Rolling the mesh....no problem. Bending the mesh roll without any kinks.....big problem!

Last edited:

lexi60

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
utah
Edit....boy was I wrong! Rolling the mesh....no problem. Bending the mesh roll without any kinks.....big problem!

This is my problem. Lorderos33 suggested heat the wick while bending it.
I have been doing this, While it does work.
Until I can do it the suggested way, I have nothing to compare it to.

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
Well, it took me about 3 tries to get it, but I finally was able to not crease the mesh. It didn't come out perfect, but it is wicking fine. Only thing is I didn't check my ohms, so I am a little to high for 3.7v...assuming that anyway. I get decent vapor, and muted flavor, but it is working great! No burnt taste at all!

I would take it apart, but it was so hard to press the connector in, I would probably tear it up getting it out. I have a few ideas I will try later, but it will have to wait until the tank is empty.

This is my problem. Lorderos33 suggested heat the wick while bending it.
I have been doing this, While it does work.
Until I can do it the suggested way, I have nothing to compare it to.

Darkreign

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Texas and sometimes Afghanistan
I was looking at ordering some SS400 from The Mesh Company and I noticed they have a statement on their website (during checkout) that they only ship within the UK. If that's true, where would be another supplier for US based customers? I found a 12" x 12" sheet on grainger.com, but its a little pricey and I am not certain it is the same material.

Wire Cloth, SS, 400 x 400 Mesh, 12 x 12 In - Wire Cloth - Wire Cloth - Raw Materials : Grainger Industrial Supply

Has anyone found a reliable US based supplier?

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
I was looking at ordering some SS400 from The Mesh Company and I noticed they have a statement on their website (during checkout) that they only ship within the UK. If that's true, where would be another supplier for US based customers? I found a 12" x 12" sheet on grainger.com, but its a little pricey and I am not certain it is the same material.

Wire Cloth, SS, 400 x 400 Mesh, 12 x 12 In - Wire Cloth - Wire Cloth - Raw Materials : Grainger Industrial Supply

Has anyone found a reliable US based supplier?

I ordered from mine from The Mesh Company.

I ignored the message.

I receive my mesh.

No problem.

McMaster-Carr has it. However, they do not offer a free sheet with every sheet ordered, like the The Mesh Company does.

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
hey dan how about an update on the 2 & 4 wick designs? i cant wait to convert some when i get some mesh... I only stumbled into this about a week ago still haven't caught up lol
ty :vapor:

Still working good, kinda put the CE2's on the back burner for the subagen project. Have the co-op running and have been busy with vapestock. I actually staopped using the CE2's and have been using the scubagen since its creation.
Dan

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
Turbo, did you get your hybrid mini back in action yet? The AW IMR 18350's do perform well, just no that long. At about 3.6v they need swapping out.

Not back, it was until my tank issues you know about through PM's. Yeah, IMR's are great batts but don't have the longevity.

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I'd hoped it'd improved since then. You know, you could cheat and use SAE tubing with different o-rings to take up the slack. It's the o-ring tolerance that counts and if the tube has a larger OD, who cares?

Overall the IMR's are nice, but really shine with a booster where they perform down to 2.96v.

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
so while i eagerly wait for stuff to come in the mail and I contemplate genisis designs I am forced to wonder something...
Is there any performance or other differences between say a ce2 with ss wick in a tank VS the center wick and vertical coil designs? Not counting the of course the construction methods or ez swap coil mounts or what not - is there a difference in taste or vape production ect?

Teach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
I think they're both good at vapor production and flavor - anything with a ss wick seems to transport the nicotine and flavors better with a "cleaner" taste. There is a wicking advantage (imo) for the double dippers wicking to the coil in the center, but if your single wick and coil are balanced right there isn't a significant difference. It boils down to does it hit your sweet spot... that's pretty subjective.

I've never tried to make a duplicate of one design which the only difference is one straight wick or the longer looped wick... Dan is probably the closest on that. I'm not sure whether he modified the design from single to double or changed to a new design though. Might be fun to play with though.

eplates

Feb 13, 2011
ohio
Today I took the stock 510 CE2 and enlarged the ceramic slot in the cup with a diamond abrasive bit from harbor freight, made it about twice the normal with.this allowed a bigger mesh wick...wrapped about 5 turns of Kanthal wire. I think I hit my sweet spot using the tank mod.I will say that soldering Kanthal wire is a pain in the A__.

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
ok well I have 2 different setups here both started as ce2 and are in same size tube/tank setup. one for regular ce2 style wick and one with straight through wick. All I need is the mesh and not break the leads off my coils wrappin it up. Just couldnt decide which one to try and setup first. I've never tried the straight setup so I will prolly make the ce2 one first.
Should I make the wick 2mm or should I try to make it the size of the original ce2 wick? Im sure I read it somewhere already but do I want to start with 20mm wide or 14mm? I was very generously gifted a small amount of mesh so I can try this (still waiting for the mail but thanks again! u know who u are ;) ) and I want to try and get it right the first time and not waste any if possible.
and thanks everybody for all the good info I keep getting lost in it...
:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread