Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
yes, but that guy sounds like an idiot. Your supposed to use a torch or hot air gun with paste not a soldering iron. the whole point of getting that and using it for me is so I won't have to use a soldering iron, especially for trying to solder something so tiny.

Cool, let us know if you get it and how it works. I vote you the guinea pig...lol

hankbizzo5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Ct, Eastern
yes, but that guy sounds like an idiot. Your supposed to use a torch or hot air gun with paste not a soldering iron. the whole point of getting that and using it for me is so I won't have to use a soldering iron, especially for trying to solder something so tiny.

I would give it a try especially if it worked with a lighter.....In those tight spots would be nice.....I have used similar on motherboards and works wonders......

drewk302

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2010
nh
Ok guys, the ce2 I used ( the one I took apart and didnt desolder anything I used the factory coil and replaced the wick with the mesh) it was working fine. It started acting up, so I took the tank cover off and looked at the coil and adjusted it. It worked fine for a bit, then acted up again, and finally I was using it and I looked in the tank while taking a hit and the thing was glowing, hen pop! I use a different mesh almost everytime, I cant figure out why this keeps happening. The coil is wrapped pretty tight and even, the mesh is quenched, I tried even just quenching where the coil touches. I roll the coil tight and even, no kinks, I start with 3.5" x .5". I used the factory ce2 coil so the soldering cant be the issue. I made another this morning and used my own coil and the smallest solder spots I have ever done and made they were solid. I dunno, I am loosing sleep over this. I have prob. made 15 or more......

edit: I dont mean to be annoying btw. I know that arching on the mesh is an issue i seems but I have made many mesh rolls quenched the heck out of it, got them working and then still will arch out after trying to use.

Last edited:

drewk302

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2010
nh
Are you making a small fold on the end?
This really helps alot on the exposed fraying from the cut.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Yes I do that when I make my rolls. Thanks for the tip.

Another thing, if you change to a fresh wick each time successively, and keep getting shorts, the oxidization probably wasn't complete. Each fresh wick just repeats. Try staying with the same wick and keep oxidizing it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

I have used the same wick many times, How exactly does this oxidation layer form? Should I be installing the ce2 with it only lighting 1 coil lighting in a tank for this to happen? I noticed that If I wrap the mesh with a coil more than 1 0r 2 times it starts to become flat where the coil wraps around it and the coil wont wrap on it very well......

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
By getting layers of deposits to form on it, either soot from burnt juice or calc from tapwater. If you are worried about rough treatment of the wick, you could slide the wick, coil and wires up so they clear the cup and ignite with a lighter a few times. Not the torch as you may melt the solder accidentally.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
The coil should not be "Tight" it should be easily moved with a tooth pick. After I wrap a coil and set it in the cup I drop some PG on it and hit the fire button, I continually move the coil around between each firing until the entire coil glows. if it is being a ...., the I drop a little PG on it and light it on fire, allow it to burn out and repeat the process until the entire coil glows, that proves I donnot have a short. then I will continue the assembly.
Hope this helps
Dan

drewk302

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2010
nh
believe or not I made at least 4 today all failed. I am going to go back at it after dinner. I dont have pg, but I do have vg. I was using juice just to keep it wet. See, for me if I move the coil around to get it all to glow if I move it at all or install in a tank it goes out again. I had one in a tank I used maybe a ml or so and then when firing, the whole tank light up. I fired it 3 times maybe and poof.

BTW...you guys have been great with all your help. Thanks for not getting sick me lol.

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
believe or not I made at least 4 today all failed. I am going to go back at it after dinner. I dont have pg, but I do have vg. I was using juice just to keep it wet. See, for me if I move the coil around to get it all to glow if I move it at all or install in a tank it goes out again. I had one in a tank I used maybe a ml or so and then when firing, the whole tank light up. I fired it 3 times maybe and poof.

BTW...you guys have been great with all your help. Thanks for not getting sick me lol.

Your welcome
sick_19.gif
LOL
hehehehehe I could not resist!
Dan

drewk302

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2010
nh
I just figured id share a not so bright moment I had (1 of many) I have another one made and i am battling with the coil again, so I was, putting some juice on it, then some vg, trying to get some oxidization on here. So I needed a tooth pick, I only have plastic ones left. So I was searching for a little piece of wood similiar. I see that I have a box of incense, so I broke a piece off the end, its a long wooden piece, I stuck it in there and started moving the coil........smelled wonderful. I didnt realize they scented the stick part. Now I got a nice contaminated wick and coil. If I get it working, I'll have to clean the heck out of it.

edit: Poof it went, again. No suprise, on to the next one haha all I can do is laugh

Last edited:

jonboyusmc

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2010
Illinois
I finally got around to building one of these and I must say I'm impressed. I did this a couple of months ago, but didn't oxidize the wick. Needless to say it didn't work very well. This time I quenched it 4 times in water, and then once with juice. It worked great after fiddling with the coil a couple times. I think it rivals any of the best 510 attys out there IMO. Flavor and vapor production are off the chart.

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida

Silent Soldier

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida USA
How did this turn out? I had good luck with the first few that I soldered and now for some reason I can't get solder to stick to the nichrome! Can't figure out what the difference is and it's driving me crazy!

Robert

I'm beyond broke right now so all of my modding projects are on hold indefinitely.

Silent Soldier

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida USA
I def feel ya. Is there something in particular you could use? Kanthal wire, mesh? We can help you out.

I've got mesh, silver solder, flux, and nichrome. All I really need atm is a damn job. Thankfully I have enough supplies to keep me vaping for about a year, now if i can just figure out where I'm going to come up with my rent money before I get tossed out on the street I'll be set lol. I did find some links to order free samples, so far I've got 10 free 10v 100uf tantalum's coming, still waiting to hear back from the other places. I'm going to start a thread in the main modding section with the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread