$8000 fine if caught with nic ejiuce in australia!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
That brings up a question. I've been reading about steeping your juice. Once it's steeped, how long is it going to last??? I read that it starts going down hill after a couple weeks.
Does anybody know for sure???

Thanks,

Two years for the nic before it starts losing potency when it's kept in a coo,l dark place. It's a gradual process though and should still be vapable. Flavors very, but I've got stuff a year old that tastes just like it did a few weeks after I received it. As long as it tastes and smells fine, go ahead and vape it.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I am 53. No child proof caps were invented. Seat belts were not required. Guns were in the house. Some how my friends and I all grew up fine with no runs to the emergency room. How is that? If the kid is so stupid to chug e-juice so be it. Survival of the fittest and another ..... eliminated. I love kids but some how or another entire generations survived without these regulations.

I rode down the interstate laying in the back window of cars doing 75 miles per hour when I was small enough to fit. (Less than 6.) Not the smartest move as I look back on it, but that was the way it was. *shrug*

HERE IS THE STORY AND WHAT THESE @IC&HEADS ARE SAYING. This is now LAW.

YouTube - Nine News (Recorded May 4, 2011, Nine).mpg <<< WATCH THE OFFICIAL STUPIDITY HERE

Hmm...Pretty confusing. The doctor in the piece says that a 10ml bottle of "concentrated nicotine" could kill a child. Then the news reporter says that some carts contain 3 times that amount. I'm sure a 10ml bottle of concentrated pure nicotine could very well be very, very bad news for someone if they drank it. But they seem to be confusing "concentrated nicotine" with "e-liquid". Not sure what they're trying to say. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of e-liquids than I will step in here and try to figure this perlexing report out.

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
Hmm...Pretty confusing. The doctor in the piece says that a 10ml bottle of "concentrated nicotine" could kill a child. Then the news reporter says that some carts contain 3 times that amount. I'm sure a 10ml bottle of concentrated pure nicotine could very well be very, very bad news for someone if they drank it. But they seem to be confusing "concentrated nicotine" with "e-liquid". Not sure what they're trying to say. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of e-liquids than I will step in here and try to figure this perlexing report out.

I don't know but I want that cart that contains that tripple concentrated nic. One puff and I'm good for the day... f course I don't think they even had their terminology right... so much for accurate news reporting.

reptilr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Anynews is never good news , and quite frankly i too am confused about what is happening. Possum there's a big discussion on it over on the ( aussie vapers forum) ( sorry for posting that here, but i'm an aussie too who has been buying all my joose from USA for the past year and was quite disturbed to hear of such news out of the blue. Really , can aussie sales really contribute to an x amount of revenue loss a year, more like the goverment wanting to control who we give our money too. And really do you think that the general public are going to stand up and say yes thats a top priority , over other important things like better schooling and housin prices. From what i can gather at this stage its just QLD that spoke first. Who knows what will happen next, i hope none of us get exempt.

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
Whatever happened to the kid who eats the most marbles doesn't make it to the next grade?
I can't stand this crap. It is mounting in all kinds of areas here in the US also. The FDA, EPA, you name it. All sorts of agencies exercising powers they really don't even constitutionally *HAVE*, but for whatever reason the government says 'oh yeah sure, we'll let you regulate that' and that equals enforceable law somehow. Sure nobody wants to see children hurt... but maybe if people payed attention to their kids more like our parents did us, and you know touched them more often rather than keep them on LEASHES *shudder* (I really can't stand those, and don't give me ADD excuses) maybe held their hand or something like that? Kept an eye on 'em a bit? Stopped texting for a bit while their kid is screaming bloody murder in the shopping cart?

/rant before it gets out of hand. lol

Take care all. I'm off to work. One of the lucky ones that still has a job here. :\
- Hap

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
Whatever happened to the kid who eats the most marbles doesn't make it to the next grade?
I can't stand this crap. It is mounting in all kinds of areas here in the US also. The FDA, EPA, you name it. All sorts of agencies exercising powers they really don't even constitutionally *HAVE*, but for whatever reason the government says 'oh yeah sure, we'll let you regulate that' and that equals enforceable law somehow. Sure nobody wants to see children hurt... but maybe if people payed attention to their kids more like our parents did us, and you know touched them more often rather than keep them on LEASHES *shudder* (I really can't stand those, and don't give me ADD excuses) maybe held their hand or something like that? Kept an eye on 'em a bit? Stopped texting for a bit while their kid is screaming bloody murder in the shopping cart?

/rant before it gets out of hand. lol

Take care all. I'm off to work. One of the lucky ones that still has a job here. :\
- Hap
QFT if more parents would oh I don't know...parent this wouldn't be such an issue. And now they're making a law that will affect all adults not just parents... and the best part is its not even because x kid drank a botle of the stuff. It's because they're afraid some negligent parent might not keep it out of their chld's reach. And they're probably right about that sadly enough.

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
I think all kids should gnaw on cigarettes instead....so the government gets their tax dollars....

On top of a clearly unknowledgable news story they picture one of our vendors here's eliquid. They show the bottles with child-proof caps....hmm...guess they better start child-proofing cigarette packs...

Last edited:

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
That brings up a question. I've been reading about steeping your juice. Once it's steeped, how long is it going to last??? I read that it starts going down hill after a couple weeks.

Thanks,

Unflavored will last longer than flavored. That said; they've both been reported to last up to 2 years. They should be stored in a cool, DARK, climate controlled place. I keep my flavored juices in a tacklebox, but I keep my unflavored nic in a light-tight lock box. The room is a/c controlled, but I've been thinking of moving to a dark closet.. someone (angus maybe) said they do that.. sounded smart.

See.. that's where they confuse everyone. PURE nicotine is extremely dangerous. This is the stuff they use to make our unflavored nicotine. It's about 1000 x's stronger than 100mg. So yeah, get a drop of that on you and you're going to get pretty darn sick. Even 100mg nicotine is nothing to mess around with. I use gloves when mixing my 100mg down to 50 or 30 strength.. and THEN I work with THAT level to mix my own juice.

People tend to call 'unflavored' nic, "pure" nicotine. But it's not. As you can see, there is a huge difference. One is much deadlier than the other. 100mg will make you very very sick, it could kill small children and pets. PURE nicotine WILL kill you. (it is a pesticide, after all) But it's all relative, and that has to be taken into consideration. If people will use the correct terms, or take the time to learn what they are talking about, then we won't have unnecessary scare tactics flying around.

So I sent my mum some juice about 6 months ago now. Would customs be even more strict right now if I was to send some? I label it essential oils and don't label the nic content on the bottles.

Um.. no different than when China wasn't allowed to mail it, or how the FDA confinscates it now. Depends on how it's packaged

Last edited:

Ghost Song

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Oklahoma
what ever happened to survival of the fittest? i don't want to seem insensitive to the idea of protecting children or promote the idea of a child drinking nicotine, but the idea of an $8000 dollar fine issued in the name of child safety is absurd and does nothing to actually prevent a child from drinking the e-liquid. A fine for using an eliquid container without a child safety cap would make more sense.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Unflavored will last longer than flavored. That said; they've both been reported to last up to 2 years. They should be stored in a cool, DARK, climate controlled place. I keep my flavored juices in a tacklebox, but I keep my unflavored nic in a light-tight lock box. The room is a/c controlled, but I've been thinking of moving to a dark closet.. someone (angus maybe) said they do that.. sounded smart.

See.. that's where they confuse everyone. PURE nicotine is extremely dangerous. This is the stuff they use to make our unflavored nicotine. It's about 1000 x's stronger than 100mg. So yeah, get a drop of that on you and you're going to get pretty darn sick. Even 100mg nicotine is nothing to mess around with. I use gloves when mixing my 100mg down to 50 or 30 strength.. and THEN I work with THAT level to mix my own juice.

People tend to call 'unflavored' nic, "pure" nicotine. But it's not. As you can see, there is a huge difference. One is much deadlier than the other. 100mg will make you very very sick, it could kill small children and pets. PURE nicotine WILL kill you. (it is a pesticide, after all) But it's all relative, and that has to be taken into consideration. If people will use the correct terms, or take the time to learn what they are talking about, then we won't have unnecessary scare tactics flying around.

Um.. no different than when China wasn't allowed to mail it, or how the FDA confinscates it now. Depends on how it's packaged

We really should come up with different terminology for it. Pure nic is also sometimes used just to denote that it's 99.8% or whatever. Maybe call the full on stuff uncut nic as apposed to pure?

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
We really should come up with different terminology for it. Pure nic is also sometimes used just to denote that it's 99.8% or whatever. Maybe call the full on stuff uncut nic as apposed to pure?

That's a good idea. I think originally it was probably called "pure" because it wasn't diluted down with anything (you can buy nic that is VG based, or nic that is PG based) .. but now it's called "pure" by the vendors selling nic juice to represent the purity of the diluted nicotine

(at least that's my take on it)

But even if WE call it uncut or pure or unflavored or whatever... it won't necessarily filter down to the press and the proper channels. Same way with the PG and anti-freeze mess.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Thanks,
I think the general consensus on shelf-life is around one to two years.
One thing I know for sure though is that sunlight destroys nicotine, so keep the juice out of the sun.

A cool dark place is usually recommended, but as for using a refrigerator or freezer...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/101050-liquid-kept-refridgerator-ok.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/27348-freezing-juice.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/175238-can-you-freeze-e-juice.html

There are some chemists who have responded in the above threads with their take.
They are all good reading, either way.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Very bad news for Australians. I don't know what to say really, I'm just gob smacked.

I'm not entirely sure what I would do if such a law was passed in my country. But out of defiance, I would most likely start an internet movement among fellow vapers, find some legal connections, and try fight the ruling in court.

Makes you want to organize a rally or peaceful demonstration too.

What I would not do is smoke again if it was completely banned, out of defiance, because really all that is going on here is they want their tax. So essentially by saying you can't vape, you should rather be smoking. They're saying "We don't care if you live or die, but you owe us tax".

Vaping should really just be about having an alternative to smoking. But I think it has shown us all how corrupt those in power are, and at the same time how gullible the general public can be, finally how propaganda is injected into our news.

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
Very true about taxes. I just wish they would go ahead and in not so many words just admit that they are buttheads looking for ways to create enough havoc to gain steam behind a movement... and just create a new tax called a 'nicotine tax' - that way we can all go ahead and vape all over the world, each country taxing their citizens and raising food prices (pesticides), and all sorts of other things in the process that are already tipping the scales.

Actually - it's all pretty much gone ahead and tipped over the scales, but hey who am I to challenge what the government tells us is all ok and keeps getting better and better!!! :D

- Hap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread