"A decision over e-cigarettes and 'vaping' imminent": Proposed bill - UK (1pm GMT 12 June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
This article was originally posted in another thread in the General E-Smoking Discussion forum:

BBC News - E-cigarettes safety questioned and face possible ban in UK

The OP had been watching the news on TV and said that: "A new bill on e cigarettes [is] being published at 1 pm uk time today". The video in the link above seems to corroborate this and states that: "Later today, we'll found out exactly how the electronic alternative to smoking will be regulated".

I found another article, publised on the NHS Choices website yesterday, which also suggests that "A decision over e-cigarettes and 'vaping' [is] imminent":

Decision over e-cigarettes and 'vaping' imminent - Health News - NHS Choices

Exactly what the contents of the bill are, will, apparently, remain a mystery until 1pm GMT today (5am PST or 8am EST).

EDIT: Another article has just been published on the ITV News website:

Decision on e-cigarette control

JJ

Last edited:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
"As it stands the devices are only covered by general product safety regulation but the government will announce today whether they will fall under the remit of the MHRA medical regulator." It is fervently to be hoped that they make the right decision. I str that they have tried this before but nothing came of it.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
It seems like a knee-jerk reaction to recent legislation in France - an "opportunist" attack by those with a vested interest.

JJ

But surely not? Surely this is a matter that our legislators will have given great consideration over many years? :) I'm going to trust in their good sense and keep my fingers firmly crossed. :)

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
But surely not? Surely this is a matter that our legislators will have given great consideration over many years? :) I'm going to trust in their good sense and keep my fingers firmly crossed. :)

You'd hope so, wouldn't you? Once the Bill gets to the Second Reading/Committe Stage, I'd like to think we can count on some of that "good sense"!

Thought these links might be of interest to our American friends in particular, as they show the passage of a Bill through UK Parliament:

Passage of a Bill - UK Parliament

First reading (Commons) - UK Parliament

JJ

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
Taken from the ITV News website:

E-cigarettes 'better, cheaper' than normal cigarettes

The Chief Medical Officer said it was "only right" that electronic cigarettes would be regulated as medicines in the future and that they were a "safer" source of nicotine than normal cigarettes.

Professor Dame Sally Davies said:

"Smokers are harmed by the deadly tar and toxins in tobacco smoke, not the nicotine.

While it’s best to quit completely, I realise that not every smoker can and it is much better to get nicotine from safer sources such as nicotine replacement therapy.

More and more people are using e-cigarettes, so it’s only right these products are properly regulated to be safe and work effectively."

– Professor Dame Sally Davies, Chief Medical Officer​

JJ

Last edited:

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Wonderful...how long now before our wonderfully-enlightened government imposes regulations on us to "protect us" from ourselves? I'm sure the FDA is salivating right now at the thought of getting that same power...

Does this ruling effect purchasing nic juice for DIY? Is it time for our UK members to stockpile supplies? Is it time for US to stockpile?

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
Last edited:

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
"While the regulator is not planning to recall unlicensed e-cigarettes – saying that the benefit does not outweigh the risk of users turning to real cigarettes – it is hoped that in the long term all products will be licensed." So we can all hang on to our Vamos for now, then. :)

Every cloud...

Hoping SmokeyJoe will chime in on this soon.

JJ

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Posting my thoughts here instead of on the thread in the Legislation forum
because it's not a legal argument but simply my thoughts.

I suggest this whole anti-ecig issue with very restrictive government regulations
will not happen. 1 year from now there will be 2 to 3 times more e-smokers in the UK,
Europe, and in the US.

For all those who say ...
"Well, I actually support a number government regulations regarding e-liquids."
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "LIMITED" GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS.

If you like all the choices in flavors, nic levels, and a competitive e-liquid market...
You're going to be ......-Off if governments start to regulate
saying they are doing so to protect you.

I'm no longer a Gloom and Doomer panicking all the time ...
There will always be those who oppose e-smoking for any number
of reasons ... however, in time, they will be less vocal and eventually
will just reluctantly accept e-smoking as self evident.

Restrictive laws and ordinances like no vaping in apartments will
for the most part be ignored ... vapers will simply not invite their
landlords to their vape parties !

I looked into my Crystal Ball and I see a bright future for e-cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread