Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I have two 30ml bottles of unflavored eliquid. I'd like to add flavor to them. Is there a calculator I can use? I have pg, vg and nic if I'd need to add more. I just don't want these bottles to go to waste. I also have a 120 ml bottle of vg/pg 60/40 with 24% salt nic. I plan to break it up and make smaller bottles of flavored salt nic liquid. I don't mind if the nic level goes down some, nor do I mind if the vg drops some as this is intended to be used in pod devices. But I need something to tell me how much flavoring to add. Anyone know of a calculator that can help?

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I don't have much yet but a friend is sending me more. Right now I have Raspberry, Pomegranate surprise (pretty sure it's pomegranate and raspberry), whipped cream and Bella Bacche (mixed berries?) from the Flavor Shack. I also have TFA ripe strawberry,and sweet raspberry. LNY Strawberry Milk and Capella Strawberries and Cream.
I know I'll be making Strawberry Milk, a pomegranate and raspberry, and maybe a plain strawberry. Otherwise I'm really not sure. I might wait to decide more after my friend sends more flavors. Basically at first I'll probably be making eliquid with just one flavor altho technically some of my bottles have more than one flavor already.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Just make your juice to contain 15% of total flavorings... so if you want to make 10ml with single flavor pour 8.5ml of your pg/vg mix and add 1.5 ml of flavoring... if you want to make 30ml multiply those numbers by 3...... if you want to use 2 flavors use 1ml of first and 0.5 of second or any combination that will give you total of 1.5 and with 30 ml again multiply those numbers by 3

I do not know of any calculator that deals with ready mixes that already contain nicotine.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Just make your juice to contain 15% of total flavorings... so if you want to make 10ml with single flavor pour 8.5ml of your pg/vg mix and add 1.5 ml of flavoring... if you want to make 30ml multiply those numbers by 3...... if you want to use 2 flavors use 1ml of first and 0.5 of second or any combination that will give you total of 1.5 and with 30 ml again multiply those numbers by 3

I do not know of any calculator that deals with ready mixes that already contain nicotine.
I can do that! Thank you for spelling it out to me so clearly.

Reactions: tlctoo

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I personally use ejuicemeup. Its a free download. You can make any percentage you want. Here is the easy way. Us e the calculator to get the amount of flavor you need for a given size bottle. 10-30ml or whatever. Add the flavors to an empty bottle and just fill it with your base.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I personally use ejuicemeup. Its a free download. You can make any percentage you want. Here is the easy way. Us e the calculator to get the amount of flavor you need for a given size bottle. 10-30ml or whatever. Add the flavors to an empty bottle and just fill it with your base.
Thank you! I'll give the download a try.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I can do that!

IMO, going with a set 15% total flavoring may be too much, especially since the potency of flavorings varies greatly. Some...you only need a really low % in a mix (like 0.25-1.5), while others may need 2-4%, or even 7-8%. you can always add more flavoring to your PG, VG, and nic base. But you sure can't take it out!

ETA: Also, since you plan on making some single flavor eliquids, I'd definitely start with very small testers first, like 5mL-10mL at the most. There honestly aren't a whole bunch of single flavorings that make a good stand-alone eliquid, IMO. The ones that do...are usually called "one shots" or called other names by the companies that make them, like OSDIY. They are already a blend of several flavorings needed to make a good tasting eliquid when you add 1 of them to your PG, VG, nic base...when you buy them.

Most recipes require a main flavoring, some blenders or secondary flavorings, and even some accents. I'd hate for you to use a bunch of your base making 30mL and larger bottles with single flavors and not liking what you end up with.

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
You can double check your calculation(s) by using:
E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavors with PG/VG Adjusting
I use the above calculator for syringe mixing. Whats nice about this calculator, is you can bookmark your mixes in the cloud and store them there. No membership is necessary.
Thanks! I'm pretty good at math but no way am I going to be able to remember multiple recipes and if I write it down it'll be lost before I blink twice ;)

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
IMO, going with a set 15% total flavoring may be too much, especially since the potency of flavorings varies greatly. Some...you only need a really low % in a mix (like 0.25-1.5), while others may need 2-4%, or even 7-8%. you can always add more flavoring to your PG, VG, and nic base. But you sure can't take it out!
Is there a way of knowing which is stronger or is it just a trial and error thing?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Is there a way of knowing which is stronger or is it just a trial and error thing?

There are several things that can give you an indication of a flavoring's potency or info. on recommended % to use.

One is to see about how much of it most people are using in tried and true recipes. A good thread of browse for that type of info would be the Recipes for Dummies thread in the DIY Eliquid Forum. Another thread there is the Random DIY Mixing and More (though it is a huge thread). Find recipes online that contain your flavorings...and see what % those people are using in them.

Another thing you can do is go to the manufacturer's website to see what their recommended % is for that flavoring. Websites that sell flavorings will also often show a recommended % (ie. I know Wizard Labs shows this for the brands they sell). However, sometimes even though are higher than many of us use certain flavorings at in our eliquids. That's another reason it's better to start lower and work your way up if it's needed.

A third thing is something that some people do with every new flavoring they get. They do what's called a "single flavor test". They'll make a very small test sample eliquid...with their PG, VG, nic base and some of the flavoring. Based on what others have done as far as letting it age, they'll usually do the same. Some flavorings result in what's called "shake and vape" eliquids. Others require several days of blending to be good tasting. Still others may need weeks-months to be their best. That's another reason why they do tiny samples instead of larger bottles. Those samples take less time to blend well, than larger bottles do.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
you can always add more flavoring to your PG, VG, and nic base. But you sure can't take it out!

If flavor is too strong you can simply add a little more of that ready mix (pg/vg/nicotine)... it works both ways... if you have 10ml bottle of juice with 15% of flavorings you can add 5ml of mix and flavorings will be 10% or add 10ml and flavorings will be 7.5%... for me dilluting too strong flavor is easier than adding flavorings because everytime you add flavor you have to wait a day or two for steeping and ratio of nicotine and pg change.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
There are several things that can give you an indication of a flavoring's potency or info. on recommended % to use.

One is to see about how much of it most people are using in tried and true recipes. A good thread of browse for that type of info would be the Recipes for Dummies thread in the DIY Eliquid Forum. Another thread there is the Random DIY Mixing and More (though it is a huge thread). Find recipes online that contain your flavorings...and see what % those people are using in them.

Another thing you can do is go to the manufacturer's website to see what their recommended % is for that flavoring. Websites that sell flavorings will also often show a recommended % (ie. I know Wizard Labs shows this for the brands they sell). However, sometimes even though are higher than many of us use certain flavorings at in our eliquids. That's another reason it's better to start lower and work your way up if it's needed.

A third thing is something that some people do with every new flavoring they get. They do what's called a "single flavor test". They'll make a very small test sample eliquid...with their PG, VG, nic base and some of the flavoring. Based on what others have done as far as letting it age, they'll usually do the same. Some flavorings result in what's called "shake and vape" eliquids. Others require several days of blending to be good tasting. Still others may need weeks-months to be their best. That's another reason why they do tiny samples instead of larger bottles. Those samples take less time to blend well, than larger bottles do.
Thank you! I'll check out those threads and it can't hurt to make a few small single flavor batches. The majority of what I'll be making are either single flavors or possibly two flavors. At least at first ;)

Reactions: stols001

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
If flavor is too strong you can simply add a little more of that ready mix (pg/vg/nicotine)... it works both ways... if you have 10ml bottle of juice with 15% of flavorings you can add 5ml of mix and flavorings will be 10% or add 10ml and flavorings will be 7.5%... for me dilluting too strong flavor is easier than adding flavorings because everytime you add flavor you have to wait a day or two for steeping and ratio of nicotine and pg change.
Thanks for the idea. I kinda like the idea of just making a batch and adding more of the premix vg/pg/nic. Can't really hurt anything to try at least one bottle that way.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Thanks for the idea. I kinda like the idea of just making a batch and adding more of the premix vg/pg/nic. Can't really hurt anything to try at least one bottle that way.

Yes, start with 10ml... if flavor will taste too strong/chemical add 1ml of your mix... be carefull with mint(menthol)... even 2% is pretty strong... be carefull with sweeteners... marshmallow flavor at 5% can overtake many fruit flavorings...

Tony01

May 3, 2018

I made an excel spreadsheet just for stuff like this. I like to dilute my fav hulk tears juice down to 33 to 50 percent. Also mix my own flavors occasionally, but they don't usually turn out any good.

Basically, you input the quantities and details, and then use a single digit for flavor. In the top section you can see I have all my stuff along with hulk tears diluted, that is a mix I made a couple weeks back with 6mg hulk tears diluted to 35%. And here I'm re-using it to make a lower nic mix with slightly higher pg. for decimals, there are 20 drops in a ml. the flavor percent for the top one is actually how much hulk tears there is in the mix, not actual flavor percent. But on the bottom one that is actual flavor percentage.

I can't upload xl files here but if you send me your email I can send it to you.

vapeCalc.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread