ADM-PC: Automatic Drop Mod - Paper Clip Variant

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
On October 9th, 2009 Scottyballs introduced us to the ADM (automatic drip mod) and vaping hasn't been the same since. For one thing, a lot of us have been working on the next version of this mod. If you're not familiar with it, here's his video that shows exactly how to mod a round Joye510 cartridge to hold 12 drops of liquid and simulate dripping directly on the atomizer.

YouTube - Joye 510 cartridge mod auto drip mod "ADM"

While I love the mod, several of us have been working on variations. Kristen's RSP (reservoir straw plug) mod replaces the spring with a vertical straw (plastic) and a plug on the top. Eclypse's blue foam plug mode, requires no support just a blue foam bent and inserted. Some have inserted the spring vertically, allowing for a larger plug.

Issues with the original mod for me were: 1) got a metal taste from spring, 2) spring sits too high so you have to use a very thin plug, 3) thin plug seals but can easily come loose, 4) poly-fil is very "stringy" and the strings still hang over the edge and easily gets pulled out when removing plastic cart cap, 5) plug is too thin for emergency dripping, and 6) trying to fit the plug was a PITA.

My take on the solution: Instead of a spring use a rod of galvanized steel. Galvanized means it won't corrode or rust. Steel means you can get them free from work. The galvanized steel I used was a simple paper clip. I use the smaller paper clips, about 3.5 centimeters long. You simply cut the inner piece to create a U shape. Open the U to form feet that sit at opposite sides on the bottom of the cart. This helps to keep the U secure and automatically centers it. You now have a galvanized steel support that sits right between the two lips/shelves of the cart opening.

59wltt.jpg

While working on the other variations of this mod, I came across sheets of poly-fil. The sheets are easily cut into strips for making perfectly uniform carts (that's how I stumbled upon my Invisible Straw Mod). The sheets I use are from Wal-Mart and it's called Web Vent Filters. Using this mod, 12 sheets at about $2.50 should make well over 1000 carts. It's wonderful stuff and is my personal replacement for regular poly-fil.

vrf12c-300.jpg

For the ADM-PC mod you simply cut a strip of poly-fil the same width as the opening of the cart. Bend it over to insert a double layer, with the bend at the bottom, and trim for a perfect fit. What you get is a uniform plug, deep enough to create a perfect seal to reduce leaks, and also deep enough you can top off the cart with 4-5 drops when needed.

5akrp0.jpg

Scottyballs ADM is wonderful, but I'll be using this variation because it solves every issue I had with the original. The ADM-PC (automatic drip mod - paper clip variant) is very simple since the pieces seem to practically adjust themselves for a perfect fit. It's kind of like ADM Version 2.0. Here's the most important reason for the mod--besides even better vaping!--and that's to share what I've learned while trying to overcome certain obstacles. What it introduces is a great new filler material, a great new support system, and I hope some of you will take this information and run with it. I'd had a lot of these ideas in the back of my mind, but it took Scottyballs concept to show something like this could be done. Kristen's determination kept me looking for more and more answers. And Eclipse's blue plug is what sent me searching for a new filler material and told me how to use it.

2hsbvhc.jpg

I hope all the pictures helped explain everything. You can use a lot of different filler materials, but poly-fil just seems to always work best and the pressed vent filters make it effortless. The juice just flows better. The ADM-PC mod is the best solution for my needs, because I can use it for topping off or just fill 'er up for long term use in front of the PC. I'm really looking forward to using this on my DSE901.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. The best thing is you can give you friends a sheet of the vent filter material and a few paper clips and they're good to go!
P.P.S. Have we thanked Scottyballs enough? Nah, this really has worked wonders.

Last edited:

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
Just a note on paper clips.

I have had several rust or corrode. I have no idea how old they were or what they were made of. Some could have been as old as 30 years. I've mostly found them on old documents when cleaning out file cabinets but occasionally have one surface in my dispenser.

I'm not saying this wont work only you might want to keep an eye on it for a while, particularly where you cut it. Galvanizing is a coating so there will be bare steel at the cuts.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
WIREGUY: There is only one cut, but as with any mod, you'll want to keep an eye on it. I can tell you I haven't had a metalic taste like I did with the spring. The best news is they sell they in packs of 100. When it doubt, toss it out.

OVERLORD: They seem to be hold up about the same as regular poly-fil would. I usually switch out cart material after two or three days. If you have a couple of strips pre-cut, you just bend it stick it in, and cut it off.

ALEXPROBB: Self-charging means that it builds up an electrostatic charge from the movement of air, not chemicals. A balloon doesn't build up an electrostatic charge by itself, you have to rub it on your hair.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. You don't want to know how much liquid I've gone through since using this.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Funny tonight i noticed how many drops i get into an emtpy cart without my straw in there first.. i didnt notice i left the straw out when i filled it. 18 drops over the 14 i was getting with the straw that holds my slug.

Then tonight i thought of something that will work i think.. Very much simular to your paper clip which i thought of to but figured it would'nt be safe.

I'll try mine out and wait to hear if people have rust or corrosion probs with the paper clip.

:) The shape of your polyfil plug looks strangly familur?? heh.

Just curious as to why use what your using? Poly has a bad taste and wont hold up to high voltage devices..

I like the way you inserted the cut clip into the cart.. nice. I'll barrow that idea thanks. Takes up less space.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Funny tonight i noticed how many drops i get into an emtpy cart without my straw in there first.. i didnt notice i left the straw out when i filled it. 18 drops over the 14 i was getting with the straw that holds my slug.

Then tonight i thought of something that will work i think.. Very much simular to your paper clip which i thought of to but figured it would'nt be safe.

I'll try mine out and wait to hear if people have rust or corrosion probs with the paper clip.

:) The shape of your polyfil plug looks strangly familur?? heh.

Just curious as to why use what your using? Poly has a bad taste and wont hold up to high voltage devices..

I like the way you inserted the cut clip into the cart.. nice. I'll barrow that idea thanks. Takes up less space.

Eclypse, dude. You are 50% of this mod. Well, the top half anyway. After seeing your mod it got me thinking. I don't like foam...because it's foam. But I do like poly-fil. I've been using poly-fil since day one and never had a taste issue, but I also know when to quit vaping so it doesn't cook on the atty. You know from your mod, it's easy enough to switch out the filler. Pure genius.

I'd been thinking about the paper clip since the day after I tried the ADM, but went in the straw direction. When I found the poly-fil sheets I tried your mod, but it was just a little too soft (another reason why the juice flows so well) and tended to slip down into the cart, so I needed a brace. That's when I dug up the paper clip idea. At the time I was still using the CeramaBryte pad--a good idea but still a disappointment--which shrunk to much on the original ADM and was too compressed for the blue plug!

The best thing about Scottyballs' mod was that he made it from stuff around the house. And that's what I did to make this edition. I think the paper clip would work great for you, but try out the vent filter's, too. I think you'll be pleased with the juice flow.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. High voltage? What's that. I've just started breaking even with these things. I'm modding from the top to the bottom. When I get to the battery I'll let you know!

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
:) Ok.. When i used the poly-fil i never liked how it was all bunched up and the juice would get stuck down in the cart.. it was like how in the hell is the juice gona flow like that when the material is not flowing in one direction. After seeing some poly in the pre filled carts i noticed how they poly was more layered got me thinking that it would be way better if it was possable to find some stuff like that.. Glad you found it! Now is it uniform and in long fibers in one direction like a mesh? Or just like you would find in a large poly-fil bag but cut in long sheets? I would of been all over it if i seen this weeks ago but i'm happy with the foam... I cant use the excuse of just buying up a pack to use on my registers as they are up in the ceiling and i doubt they would work there.. hehe.

How much does a bag cost anyways?

I tell ya that i did get used the to the poly taste after a couple of days.. but after using PTB for a week or so and then going back to the poly was a eye opener.. yuck!

Do they make plastic paper clips?.. hint. :)

I think the way you have the clip in there is briliant with the corner to corner.. keeps it perfectly center and uses basicly no space in the cart.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
:) Ok.. When i used the poly-fil i never liked how it was all bunched up and the juice would get stuck down in the cart.. it was like how in the hell is the juice gona flow like that when the material is not flowing in one direction. After seeing some poly in the pre filled carts i noticed how they poly was more layered got me thinking that it would be way better if it was possable to find some stuff like that.. Glad you found it! Now is it uniform and in long fibers in one direction like a mesh? Or just like you would find in a large poly-fil bag but cut in long sheets? I would of been all over it if i seen this weeks ago but i'm happy with the foam... I cant use the excuse of just buying up a pack to use on my registers as they are up in the ceiling and i doubt they would work there.. hehe.

How much does a bag cost anyways?

I tell ya that i did get used the to the poly taste after a couple of days.. but after using PTB for a week or so and then going back to the poly was a eye opener.. yuck!

Do they make plastic paper clips?.. hint. :)

I think the way you have the clip in there is briliant with the corner to corner.. keeps it perfectly center and uses basicly no space in the cart.

I'd say vent filter sheets seem more like pressed poly-fil. Doesn't seem woven really but doesn't really seem loose either. I'd describe it as easy to handle. I've used it to make regular carts, too, and it makes them very uniformly. If you want to PM me you're address, Eclypse, I'll drop you a sample sheet in the mail. It's the least I could do.

The are cheap. 12 sheets is like $2.50. Just picked up a pack today at Wal-Mart because mine are ratty (in the floor vents not my e-cig). At least I don't have to filter cigarette smoke any more.

Excellent point. I have some rubber coated paper clips but I never thought of looking for actual plastic ones. However, I don't think they'll work. Part of the point is to spread the legs of the U so they hug the bottom of the cart to center the clip. You have to open the clip up enough so you have to pinch it a bit to get it fit into place.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Keep reading though, I'm about to post a plastic variation of this mod.

SCOTTYBALLS

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Greenville, S.C.
Hey P.Daffy thanks for mentioning me I feel Honored :) Im going to pick up some vent sheets next time im out at lowes.. but looks really good from what I can tell.. I like polly and this looks right up my alley..

Oh btw found these may work for pepole skeerd of metal.. I dont really care about metal so much but others seem to freak out.. hell Ill vape any metal object long as there is no lead in it :D

http://www.google.com/product_url?q...0cQpQIYWXm_B3AAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title

WDI-SWI71749-ZM.JPG

Last edited:

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Plastic Version of ADM-PC

While the galvanize steel paper clips shouldn't pose much of a rust problem, if you are looking for a plastic alternative, here it is.

Tools: Plastic drinking straw and scissors

1) Cut a length of tub approximately 32mm in length.
2) Cut the tube open lengthwise with scissors.
3) Cut a lengthwise strip between 1-2mm wide. This will create a plastic strip approximately 32ml long and 1-2mm wide.
4) Bend and insert into the empty cart the same way you would with the paper clip (see illustration below). It may not center itself like the paper clip, but remember, the clip or plastic strip does not provide support. It just keeps the filler from sliding down into the cart opening. The thinner the strip the better the liquid flow.

5akrp0.jpg

This mod is designed to be adjusted to fit your needs. You can use a longer strip if you want. You can fill the top of the cart with the vent filter pads, poly-fil, filler from an original cart, blue foam, or whatever you want. It still provides the same benefits of a longer plug for a better seal and the ability to top off when necessary. And it still holds the same 12 drops as the original ADM.

I haven't tested the plastic straw version as much as the paper clip version, but my prototype drained the cart just fine. I just wanted to share what I learned so you can choose how to get the most out of your vaping. The Original ADM mod in general has changed my enjoyment of using the Joye510 exponentially and I was already a happy camper!

--Prof Daffy
P.S. These instructions are Joye510 round cart specific. Feel free to share dimension or alternatives for other models.​

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
From a thread of my own on the subject of liquid stingy carts:

Last night I read this thread by ProfessorDaffy, credit to you and those who preceeded you in the development.

I spent a few minutes, clipping a plastic coated paper clip, using the large loop end to perfectly fit my larger Janty Stick cart, filled the cart and stuck a smallish ball of filler in to plug it. Vaping is big and consistant until the cart is empty, too big perhaps, so I mostly take shortish puffs, much like smoking an analog. Totally brilliant for that first thing in the morning, desperation Nic-loading session!

Not too worried about corrosion, the exposed metal ends are tiny and at the bottom of the cart and should mostly be kept wet by the liquid, little oxygen = little rust.

My filler material is a filter material from a local aquarium shop but is nothing like the "Blue Foam Plug" material, which is not available here in SA. (k-lady is very kindly sending me some :)). It tends to push down next to the paper clip a bit, but this doesn't seem to detract and it stays well moistened all the time. Refilling by syringe is quick and easy.

I may now confirm that the paper clip mod variant works great in large carts such as those for the Janty Stick.

Bit extravagant on liquid though.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Hey P.Daffy thanks for mentioning me I feel Honored :) Im going to pick up some vent sheets next time im out at lowes.. but looks really good from what I can tell.. I like polly and this looks right up my alley..

Oh btw found these may work for pepole skeerd of metal.. I dont really care about metal so much but others seem to freak out.. hell Ill vape any metal object long as there is no lead in it :D

Swingline Standard Vinyl Paper Clips, 150/PK, AST - 150/PK - SWI71749 - 71749 at Wares Direct

WDI-SWI71749-ZM.JPG

I have some similar to that. Not 100% plastic like those but think a paper clip dipped in rubber/plastic/vinyl. It only leaves two pin points of metal exposed. My biggest concern is that I don't want to metal to flavor the liquid. I'm all about flavor and the ADM gives that in spaces. The vinyl coated metal ones worked like a champ by the way.

You got the ball rolling, Scotty. I don't mind giving credit, because this has been a journey. Every little piece is just going to lead to the next great mod. When I find something better I'll give it a try. If I can make it from stuff around the house...even better!

I was using this mod just the other day. I was halfway though a cart and I was just getting clouds of vapor. As if I had just dripped. That's why I love this mod so much.

I've got a pillow sized bag of the poly-fil, but I love the ease of the sheet.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Yes, I have been known to walk around Lowe's with e-cig-vision. The next great mod is in there... but which aisle!

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I like this idea. The straw should provide a bit of spring, pushing the filler up into the bridge. I think.

Actually it does. It holds it against the walls of the cart and gives a little bounce. Kind of the same as a vertical spring, but metal free. Like a vegi-cart.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. With a vertical straw you want a cheap thin straw, but since you basically making a plastic strip, you'll probably want a thicker one.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Yeah, forget the paper clip, need the spring action from the straw. A lot of possibilities with this, I have some ideas already....here's one - Wider at the arch with a hole punched in the center.

nice one Daffy.

You'll have to make one first and you'll notice the opening of the cart is about 3mm wide at best. Juice is too thick to flow. But you used a longer strip, it would create two natural opening on either side. You just wouldn't want to press down too hard with your filler.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Opening up our minds to possibles is what it's all about. Even if this just leads to the next big thing it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread