ADM-PC: Automatic Drop Mod - Paper Clip Variant

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I just tired the plastic straw technique. Works great. Makes me want to actually keep my blu. Ty

One of the things I like about the plastic wedge and strip techniques are that they will work on a lot of different models. Like I've said, it's a concept, and I'm glad it's working on you're BLU. There are a lot of less than happy BLU users. If you think you have the right cut, design, whatever, you might want to take some pics and pass it on to the BLU users. It doesn't matter where the idea comes from, just that we share it.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Now let's see what Scottyballs has up his sleeves!

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
In case anyone wonders what is in the Web Vent Filters, here is the email response I got from the company:

Web Vent Filters are virtually 100% polyester. Less than 1% is the tacifier that holds the poly foam together.

Thank you, Cherice!

That was very nice of you to do that research. And share! I've been using the Web Vent Filters for a while now and really love 'em. It's pretty much the closest you'll come to an orginal cart. It's super easy to work with and you can get a cart made up in about 10 seconds. I don't even bother cleaning the filler any more. It's easier to just make a new one.

For those of you keeping track. I'm pretty much using the plastic strip version (2-3 posts back). It really does everything the ADM did, plus all the stuff I was looking from right from entry number one. The orginal paper clip mod really was awesome, but at even the slighest metalic taste I went back to the drawing board. It's all about flavor and vaper.

I'm actually accustomed to having lots of vapor and better flavor now. Scottyballs really spoiled us when he came out with that mod!

--Prof Daffy

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
This is a great mod. Loving it.

Yet another option instead of the paper clip is to cut 1.25" of a 4" tie wrap, bend it in half, insert like an upside down U (ridged side out) and walla... A nylon support, that wont rust, and it wont fall out either. While it does take up a bit more volume than a paper clip would, I suspect it is less than the stryrofoam strip. Perhaps more durable also.

You can get the 4" tie wraps at Radio Slack part number 278-1632. 30 for 2.49. I can make 3 out of one tie wrap.

Cheers!

knorm

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I was playing with the tie-wraps, too. I can bend them in a U instead of a V which seems to make for more of a support bridge. That is, 2 creases instead of 1. Sorta like these pics...

Cut to desired length, insert into cart, add favorite topping. Then take a vape break. You deserve it.

Hope you get the idea. I'm new here, not sure if these pics will show up.

Attachments

• PC222935.jpg
    PC222935.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 164
  • PC222932.jpg
    PC222932.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 131

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I was playing with the tie-wraps, too. I can bend them in a U instead of a V which seems to make for more of a support bridge. That is, 2 creases instead of 1. Sorta like these pics...

Cut to desired length, insert into cart, add favorite topping. Then take a vape break. You deserve it.

Hope you get the idea. I'm new here, not sure if these pics will show up.

Great job, Knorm! Picks came through just fine. I'm using just a very thin strip of plastic at this point, just cut from whatever thin piece of plastic I can find around the house, and it's working very well for me. Once you switch to the ADM there's no going back. Hopefully I can get some pictures posted soon so you can see what I'm doing.

--Prof Daffy

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Okay, so here is the updated plastic version that I'm currently using. If you're not familiar with the progress of this mod, check the very first posting.

What I'm currently using is plastic strips. You can use almost any flat thin plastic. A 2 liter bottle would work as long as it's thin, but you'll want to cut vertical strips. I used the plastic container that some Christmas cookies came in. A free lifetime supply! Now that's turning trash into treasure.

The only downside is that when you refill you might need to center the strip in the middle. Remember, the strip does NOT provide support. It is really only there to keep the filler/plug from slipping down into the bottom of the cart. If it's centered, juice naturally flows on either side. Even if it slides to one side juice still flows. I think this outperforms the "wedge" version, due to better juice flow and less surface area for the juice to adhere, but be aware of both of them as one might work better for you if you're not using a 510 cart with a lip on it. The wedge worked great on the 801 but I hated the 801 carts. The air chambers went right to the bottom so I was sucking up a lot of juice. My 801 is not a 100% dripping only model, but that's okay, too.

Here's a diagram of the strips I am currently using:

2rzq64k.jpg

And here is the mod in action. I really should have used a different colored plastic so it would show up better. And you can't tell, but the finished cart is as close to perfection as you can come...

aaxdag.jpg

If you are using the vent filters, top off the cart for your first few vapes. It causes the filler to become a solid piece. After than you're good to go.

I loved the ADM, with it's ingenious spring, but I love this better. I can top off the cart on the go. I can fill it up. But more importantly, it gives all the benefits of the original ADM, but without the metallic aftertaste. The deeper filler creates a better seal and I have never had a flooding issue. And it holds the same number of drops as the original ADM (approximately 12).

I've just started using KR8 cartomizers and I have to admit, this mod is easier to fill and provides better flavor and vapor. I like having the KR8 cartomizers to play with and as a back up, but this mod will make a believer out of anyone. Yes, that includes 501 direct drippers!

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Stick me with a fork, I'm done.
http://i46.tinypic.com/aaxdag.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2rzq64k.jpg

DinosaurVapor

Moved On
Nov 11, 2009
Spokane, WA
Okay, so here is the updated plastic version that I'm currently using. If you're not familiar with the progress of this mod, check the very first posting.

What I'm currently using is plastic strips. You can use almost any flat thin plastic. A 2 liter bottle would work as long as it's thin, but you'll want to cut vertical strips. I used the plastic container that some Christmas cookies came in. A free lifetime supply! Now that's turning trash into treasure.

The only downside is that when you refill you might need to center the strip in the middle. Remember, the strip does NOT provide support. It is really only there to keep the filler/plug from slipping down into the bottom of the cart. If it's centered, juice naturally flows on either side. Even if it slides to one side juice still flows. I think this outperforms the "wedge" version, due to better juice flow and less surface area for the juice to adhere, but be aware of both of them as one might work better for you if you're not using a 510 cart with a lip on it. The wedge worked great on the 801 but I hated the 801 carts. The air chambers went right to the bottom so I was sucking up a lot of juice. My 801 is not a 100% dripping only model, but that's okay, too.

Here's a diagram of the strips I am currently using:

2rzq64k.jpg

And here is the mod in action. I really should have used a different colored plastic so it would show up better. And you can't tell, but the finished cart is as close to perfection as you can come...

aaxdag.jpg

If you are using the vent filters, top off the cart for your first few vapes. It causes the filler to become a solid piece. After than you're good to go.

I loved the ADM, with it's ingenious spring, but I love this better. I can top off the cart on the go. I can fill it up. But more importantly, it gives all the benefits of the original ADM, but without the metallic aftertaste. The deeper filler creates a better seal and I have never had a flooding issue. And it holds the same number of drops as the original ADM (approximately 12).

I've just started using KR8 cartomizers and I have to admit, this mod is easier to fill and provides better flavor and vapor. I like having the KR8 cartomizers to play with and as a back up, but this mod will make a believer out of anyone. Yes, that includes 501 direct drippers!

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Stick me with a fork, I'm done.

haha daffe your mod has changed so much, i cant keep up!

JakeStew

Oct 15, 2009
Nice thread! I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Using a metal paperclip is a bad idea IMHO. I realize people are probably using mostly plastic now, but I thought I'd point out why it's a bad idea to use a metal paperclip.

The galvanizing on a paperclip will flake off where the cut is made. This will allow the ends to rust. But the real problem is that galvanized steel is very bad for your health to inhale. I had a friend that did some galvanized welding without the proper ventilation (respirators aren't good enough). He got very sick for several weeks and had to be briefly hospitalized. The same thing happened to some of the other workers.

Now I don't know if a flake of galvanized material landing on the coil would get hot enough to cause problems, but I bet that some amount of toxic material would be released. So I suggest not using galvanized paperclips.

-Jake

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Dinosaur Vapor: For a while I couldn't keep up with my own mods. When I pulled the stuffing out of a cart I never knew what I would find inside (spring, straw, paper clip, plastic wedge, plastic strip, or all filler)! Now it's plastic all the way.

EGO: The original poly-fil is still the best material I found. The issue I had was you can never get any consistency. I made my own carts. Some were thick, some where thin, but the loose fibers everywhere drove me crazy and the flow could be a mess. I like the pressed sheets because they're easier to work with but good old poly-fil works just the same. I still have a mammoth bag in my closet. I like ease and simplicity of poly-fil. The best thing about all the mods is you can tailer the to your personal preference to find what works best for you.

JakeStew: The paper clip version was truly a thing of beauty. It lasted a few days before I moved on to a plastic version. I'll leave it up to the experts if it's safe or not. There are a lot of people still using the spring from a pen. I'd probably still be using the spring from a pen, but with both the spring and eventually the paper clip I started to notice a metallic taste. And I didn't want anything to alter the taste of my vape. Yes, if there's a taste there's probably a chemical reaction going on somewhere, so not a good thing. Plastic is best. Some people use a straw but so many designs couldn't match the original metal spring with gave great juice flow. I'm a big fan of the plastic strip because it doesn't take up a lot of space and duplicate the performance of Scottyballs' original ADM mod.

--Prof Daffy

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Prof, are you recommending the wedge or one of the folded plastic designs? The wedge seems like a pretty superior way to go from the looks of it.

-Jake

The wedge worked great. It's especially good for the 801 and 901 where there is not a shelf to support it. It creates two chambers... but it also takes up a lot of surface area and the juice seems to adhear to the walls of the wedge a little. The juice just seems to flow better with the strip method. The upside down U shape creates an empty space in the bottom and the juice has to travel toward the plug, IMO. It simulates the effects of the original ADM. Here's the real trick. They both work. It's a matter of personal preference. Also, the wedge has to be pretty precise to fit just right. I made three strip versions and none of them were the exact same length or width, but they all worked perfectly. I prefer a height some where closer to the bottom lip of the cart shelf. But a little more or less doesn't matter. If it's 3mm instead of 2mm in width the juice still flows around either side.

Also, while working on the wedge I picked up a plastic pencil case like this one...

AAAAC44jYbMAAAAAAF-c-w.jpg
You can get them at the dollar store or a lot of places where they sell school supplies for about a buck. I recommend this over clear plastic. It's more textured but more importantly you can use the white material in black carts and the colored material in white carts. The clear strips turned nearly invisible when wet and it made it hard to find, much less center, the strips! Strangely enough, I've been using the plastic from these pencil cases and the strip hasn't moved at all. It's still perfectly centered. Maybe it's because I made it a little bit wider this time.

Make one or two carts using each method to find your own preference. At the moment I personally prefer the plastic strip and the web vent filter material for performance, ease of use, and juice flow. But the beauty of this MOD is that it's really intended for you to find your own adaptation.

I can tell you this much, when using the strip and poly-fil sheet method, I can be 5-10 minutes into a vaping session and the vapor is still as perfect as it was right from the start. So, it's definitely worth the effort to find a style that works best for you. When I used to make carts from scratch I can't tell you the number of times I went to remake a cart and still found juice trapped right in the middle of the poly-fil.

Now it's 12 drops. Then another 12. Then another 12. No waste. Great vape.

--Prof Daffy

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
is there a way to do this mod on an 801 cart?

Yes, the same rules apply. I used the plastic wedge on my 801 and it slid in there nicely. A plastic strip should work, too.

1z1tg89.jpg

One of the reasons these mods are so versatile is that they don't rely on the "lip" of the 510 carts like the original ADM. On the original ADM, the lip was essential for keeping the spring in place.

--Prof Daffy

Tachion

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Northeast
I just got my 510 today. It produces a heck of a lot of vapor, but even with the PTB mod, I was topping the carts off every couple of hours since the 510 eats juice like it's popcorn.

Tried your mod and wow... so far so good! I used a plastic-coated paperclip, filled the cart with juice, and then stuffed some polyfill in the top.

I may switch to plastic (I've got a bunch of small zip-ties lying around that would work, I think), but this may be the best mod ever... especially for long car rides!

Ryum

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Tx
I just finished reading the whole thread, and its really cool to see the progress of an idea.

Just to make sure I understand you are continuing to use the same cartridge many, many times over, and just replacing the "stuffing" Right?

If you are basically making the plastic part of a cartridge permanent, and you are using your straw, or wedge, or thin plastic strip to keep the "stuffing" out of the bottom half of the cartridge... Could you just use a heat source to cleanly melt a tiny piece of plastic to go across the middle?

Ryumsstealing-1.png

I stole your wedge picture and edited it a bit to illustrate what I mean.

If heat is too temperamental (pun not intended) and might burn a hole in the side, I figure some kind of adhesive would work instead. The basic reasoning for this would be to eliminate the need for anything to take up space where the juice is.

edit: I edited the pic more with the adhesive idea I was thinking you could use two thin strips and put them criss cross so to better keep the filler out of the juice reservoir. And once you get them to stick solidly I was thinking you could set them higher in the cartridge so they could carry more juice.
As for the actual plastic material I am thinking a well cut piece of plastic from a zip tie would do. It's pretty strong plastic.

Final edit: This was my first reading of the cartridge mod section of this board, just found scotty's silicone mod and that's basically what I steering towards. I just didn't know someone had already come up with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread