Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
From a thread of my own on the subject of liquid stingy carts:

Bit extravagant on liquid though.

I just got my first 801 atomizer today! So, I'll be playing with it some, too. This mod works best when your filler is around 1/4 to 1/3 the length of you cart. It's the 3/4 to 2/3 of wasted filler that was the main problem with carts. When you had a full cart the first third was great, then you just hoped gravity did the rest. Which it didn't.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Compared the the 510, the 801 cart is almost as big as a standard 510 battery!

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
HERE'S A COPY OF A POST I DID THIS MORNING UNDER THE RSP THREAD:

I think I've had an epiphany!

I know I just posted a note late last night, but I've slept since then. I was having my morning vape and waiting for the coffee to finish. Looking down at my stuff--cut up straws, half mangled paper clips, and such--I was thinking about the paper clips and thinking I really want something plastic. I also kept thinking about Kristin's straws and the shapes of her vents. Kristin's cuts take a very logical approach--which I love--because you have to find the ultimate balance to create support and flow. Then it hit me. I was factoring in everything about the carts and plastic and support and everything I've learned so far.

What I came up with is a plastic rectangle. The width would be the diagonal length of the cart bottom. The height would be just to where the lips of the cart are. You want a very thin plastic sheet. I have some stickers and the plastic it comes in is great. When you slide the plastic rectangle into the cart you end up with a support brace that cuts the cart in half diagonally. You've got support and flow. Then you can easily cut a hole at the bottom and/or one at the middle to allow air/juice flow.

As always, I have time for the idea, but not the application. I whipped together a quick diagram. I haven't tried it yet or have any dimensions, but in my mind's eye it should be absolutely perfect. Support and air flow. Somebody give this a go and let he know what you think.

1z1tg89.jpg

It basically divides the reservoir into two chambers and provides a center support system at the same time.

Look good?

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Now I just have to find some thin plastic I can cannibalize and make a template.
P.P.S. I think a v shaped cut in the bottom may work best for stability.​

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
HERE'S A COPY OF A POST I DID THIS MORNING UNDER THE RSP THREAD:

I think I've had an epiphany!

I know I just posted a note late last night, but I've slept since then. I was having my morning vape and waiting for the coffee to finish. Looking down at my stuff--cut up straws, half mangled paper clips, and such--I was thinking about the paper clips and thinking I really want something plastic. I also kept thinking about Kristin's straws and the shapes of her vents. Kristin's cuts take a very logical approach--which I love--because you have to find the ultimate balance to create support and flow. Then it hit me. I was factoring in everything about the carts and plastic and support and everything I've learned so far.

What I came up with is a plastic rectangle. The width would be the diagonal length of the cart bottom. The height would be just to where the lips of the cart are. You want a very thin plastic sheet. I have some stickers and the plastic it comes in is great. When you slide the plastic rectangle into the cart you end up with a support brace that cuts the cart in half diagonally. You've got support and flow. Then you can easily cut a hole at the bottom and/or one at the middle to allow air/juice flow.

As always, I have time for the idea, but not the application. I whipped together a quick diagram. I haven't tried it yet or have any dimensions, but in my mind's eye it should be absolutely perfect. Support and air flow. Somebody give this a go and let he know what you think.

1z1tg89.jpg

It basically divides the reservoir into two chambers and provides a center support system at the same time.​

Look good?​

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Now I just have to find some thin plastic I can cannibalize and make a template.

P.P.S. I think a v shaped cut in the bottom may work best for stability.​

One step ahead of me again! lol.. Been using that since last night.. well i made mine out of a thin plastic straw piece. lol. that what i get for trying it out insted of rushing to share.

No time to post as the family is home all day and now i'm out to go get a car ect..

invisiblewardog

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia, USA
I had some spare time and tried the spring out...seems to do the trick. I vape heavily enough that carts just don't work for me. It seemed like I would have to drip anyway and top off just as often before they don't wick quickly enough for me (didn't someone say something about nicotine being addictive? :) )

At any rate, it does burn through juice quickly, but no quicker than dripping IMO. The time that goes into filling the cart is comparable to the sum of all the dripping time.

Keep the ideas rolling, I love this place :)

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I like that P.Daffy just some thin plastic nice in simple... hows the vent filters working out?

Funny you should ask. I modded my first 801 cart and when I pulled out the packing material it was two strips of poly-fil glued to the bottom. Apparently they're using a similar material. Cut two strips. Place adhesive--or whatever the heck that white stuff is--and glue it to the bottom.

It's been working really well. You know how when you get a good cart, it makes a little dimple and the filler just encompasses the atomizer tip. That's what this does. No different from regular poly-fil, just in an easier to manage form.

--Prof Daffy

Last edited:

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I had some spare time and tried the spring out...seems to do the trick. I vape heavily enough that carts just don't work for me. It seemed like I would have to drip anyway and top off just as often before they don't wick quickly enough for me (didn't someone say something about nicotine being addictive? :) )

At any rate, it does burn through juice quickly, but no quicker than dripping IMO. The time that goes into filling the cart is comparable to the sum of all the dripping time.

Keep the ideas rolling, I love this place :)

One of the things I don't like about the 510 is that when you drip it eats through the juice. It's hard to complain though when you're getting a ton of vapor and better flavor. Think of it as dripping 12 drops at once. Since I've started using the ADM (apparently a different version every week!) I've finally gotten a chance to taste the flavors on my juice throughout the vape. It's no fun when you forget what flavor you're vaping midway through!

--Prof Daffy
P.S. And this is just a baby thread. The other versions of this mod are up in the four hundreds and going!

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
One step ahead of me again! lol.. Been using that since last night.. well i made mine out of a thin plastic straw piece. lol. that what i get for trying it out instead of rushing to share.

No time to post as the family is home all day and now I'm out to go get a car ect..

Use what you can find around the house for the plastic wedge. Even the stuff other stuff comes packaged in can be used if it's stiff enough. I went to the dollar store and picked up one of these...

AAAAC44jYbMAAAAAAF-c-w.jpg

It's almost all plastic. I got a green one. You have to cut it a little big and then trim it until it fits in tight. If it gets loose it will still prevent the filler from falling through because it still sits in the middle.

The vent filter poly-fil is just too weak to prevent it from slipping down the opening, like the blue foam apparently does. And, since there's not really any pressure from the atomizer--it creates a dimple like poly-fil--it doesn't have to be strong. Just block the opening.

--Prof Daffy

VinnieVapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Near Montreal QC
Prof Daffy

Your pictures and explanations are perfect.
Thanks a lot for your time.

I am using the straw version with a third of the original polyfill. I change the polyfill after 3 to 4 refills. I am not sure a straw or a clip or a spring makes a difference but the material of the cap is really important. I will try that vent thing.

Vince

dseo80

Dec 3, 2009
California
Hello, I am pretty new to vaping, just got my ecig and liquids yesterday.
First id like to say that the ADM is very innovative and definately gives a better experience.

Since I did not have most of the supplies people were talking about,
and did not want to use metals, i'd like to point out another alternative
is to use a cable tie as they are pretty rigid plastic to act as the U shaped paperclip (cut down to proper size).

Cheers,
David

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
First id like to say that the ADM is very innovative and definately gives a better experience.

is to use a cable tie as they are pretty rigid plastic to act as the U shaped paperclip (cut down to proper size).

Cheers,
David

Dont use cable ties if your talking about twist ties (what holds cables bundled up). Those have thin metal in them. Thats how they hold there shape. Same with plastic covered arnament hooks.. looks like plastic but again has thin metal in them.

I've found plastic looking paper clips in a bunch of stores and everytime there vinyl covered metal clips.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I tried some of the small (4-inch) all-plastic cable ties and they're a bit too stiff, IMHO. They'll work, but I can imagine something with a bit more flex. I found a clear plastic report cover (not the ultra-thin stuff, but something a bit thicker) and I have hopes that a strip of that material will work.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Hey, found the perfect plastic for your mod.. Find a blister back.. or for better terms, use a plastic that you find in packaging. You know how they package stuff up in that clear thin plastic so you can see the product in the package? Thats the stuff hehe.

I used the plastic packaging from my battery charger i got in the mail 2 weeks ago.. Its thin and clear.. so it will be strong and dye free as theres no color. Clear is also a good thing as its non pourious and smooth.. so no worries about the juice holding or anything growing on it after time hehe. The juice will run down it quick with no abstuction from holes or anything else to slow it down.

I messed with that and a crap load of other stuff all day today from 10:30 this morning till now. Used up about 30ml of juice between 2 flavors i didnt care for. :) yeah i'm pretty beat!

DONT cut "v" shapes or holes or anything else in it.. just go from corner to corver as you have and cut it at 1/2" tall and around 5/16th of an inch wide.. cut it a hair thinner if needed.. It will bow a little but thats what you'll want so its nice and tight in there.. That way you dont have to worry about it wiggling free or falling out if and when you rinse the cart out.

Works great with the blue foam slug.

I'm gona go report this same thing in my thread.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Prof Daffy

Your pictures and explanations are perfect.
Thanks a lot for your time.

I am using the straw version with a third of the original polyfill. I change the polyfill after 3 to 4 refills. I am not sure a straw or a clip or a spring makes a difference but the material of the cap is really important. I will try that vent thing.

Vince

All the ADM mods you run across are a concept. What matter is how well the damn thing works. The vent filter is working great for me. But regular poly-fil or material from old carts works just as well. It's just easier to work with and get consistent results. I've stuffed hundreds of regular carts with poly-fil and no two were alike. I pass on a lot of ideas so you can find the one that works for you.

I was throwing out a batch of Wal-Mart cookies (Christmas tree sugar cookies, because I know you're curious) when I noticed the clear plastic container would work great for the wedge mod. Cut up a few strips and added them to my collection.

Of all the mods, the wedge seems to be working best for me at the moment. Did up about 7 carts in no time.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. I change the filler about every other day. It used to be a production. Now it take about 15 seconds. Life is good.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity

Cheers,
David

Hey, David,

Welcome to vaping!

The ADM is innovative. The thing is Scottyballs who created it had only been vaping for a week.

Plastic cable ties? Damn, man, that's brilliant! I just used on the other day to fix the dead bolt on my front door. The ones I have are really thin. For the plastic version that would work great. And once you get your measurements you can cut up a dozen in no time. I've got some that are ridiculously thin that would work perfectly.

Good thinking!
--Prof Daffy
P.S. The true burden of the vaper is walking around the house looking for stuff to cannibalize. Every version of the ADM I've made have been done with stuff around the house.
P.P.S. The one question you never ask a vaper is "where are the good scissors?" You don't want to know.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I was actually thinking of clear plastic report covers as a great source for the plastic version. My explanation used a straw but any flexible piece of plastic will do. Probably easier to work with to. Once out find your length you can just cut up a dozen.

The cable ties in question look like this...

twist-ties-clear-200.jpg

Super thin.

I was going to cannibalize the plastic packaging that a Hot Wheel car came in. =) When you open up your Christmas presents make sure to inspect your packaging before throwing anything out! Feel free to get creative. I have to say I've tested this enough and the concept is sound.

For those of you keeping track, I finally abandoned the paper clip. The seating of the clip, ease of use, and sturdiness were amazing, but when using all metal I still got that taste I got from the spring. So, I'm sticking with plastic. But, hey, if it led us to this point I think it was worth it.

--Prof Daffy

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Updated Plastic Version (from post #12)
I know must be going crazy with me coming up with a new mods or variation ever 10 minutes, but I want to give a lot of options so you can find the right one. In post #12 on this thread I came up with a plastic version. Later I came up with the wedge (still my favorite). But the plastic version didn't give a lot of support and the juice has to kind of squeeze around it and the strip was very weak because it had to be super thin to allow juice to flow around it. I wanted something centered, sturdy, and with plenty of support.

From previous threads you're looking for a thin sheet of plastic. You decide on the material. I'm using a clean container that some cookies came in. The plastic was thin, the cookies were good, and the price was right. How many mods could you make with this sucker...
Reusable+to-go+container.jpeg
The thinner the better. Even a Coke™ bottle would be too thick, but something about the thickness of a drinking straw. Here's what you do...

Cut a strip the width of the bottom of the cart. Cut it long enough so when you bend it over into a U shape it reaches above the ledges when inserted. Place into the strip so both ends (feet) are at the bottom of the cart. This will give you a support in the center of the cart. Trim length of the cart until you get the desired height. It can be as low as the ledges (which I prefer because you can use a larger piece of filler) or as high as the ADM spring sits. You adjust the height based on the overall length of the strip. Put this aside--or measure it--for future models.

In it's uncut form, the strip is too wide to let juice flow. So, trim it anyway you want. You can cut chunks out of the the middle on each side (see diagram below) or use a tapered cut to reduce material used.

When you insert the strip back into the cart juice flows freely through the opening, the "feet" at the bottom give it stability, the width of the "feet" help to center the strip, and you get a spring like action to help push you filler against the wick of the atty. I think someone said they liked that feature.

I don't have time for pics, but here's an illustration that might help.
95yg.jpg

I like the tapered one myself (looks like a butterfly BandAid™). This allows you to make the center post as thick or thin as you want and sit as high in the cart as you want. The natural spring of the plastic should hold it in place nicely. And the concept should work on several models, even the 901 whistle tips that don't have a "lip" to keep the spring from falling down. This does seem to be the easiest mod to get just right every time; once you've got the length you like.

As for the filler material. I'm still using the vent filter (post #1). But you can use poly-fil, blue foam, old cart material, etc.

Sorry, no upgrades on the wedge, I like it just the way it is!

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Yes, don't be afraid to read through this twice. I didn't explain it very well. I really need to make a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread