advice for first RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiamaat

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2020
Constanta, Romania
Good day to all and sorry if I mate the post in the wrong category.

After being a sub ohm vaper for a year, I decided I want to up my game so I am currently looking for my first rebuildable atomizer. I have read all kinds of best RTA list and watched videos on Youtube but I still cannot choose one so I hope the your experience can help me with some advices.

I am looking for a DL RTA with a big airflow and nice flavor. As an example my daily driver is a Revenger X + NRG tank and I keep the tank at full airflow all the time. Even a restrictive DL is too tight for my taste. I wont mind if the RTA will not be very beginner friendly, I just want a good atty and I will eventually learn to build properly on it, sooner or later. Diameter can be up to 26.5 to match my Revenger X thread, the bigger the better. As to mesh or not, I would prefer not to be mesh since I do not want to be dependent on the stock of the online shops in my country, a single regular coil would be lovely so I can find the wire all the time.

Thank you in advance for the recommendations, there are so many devices on the market now and I really do not know from where to start/

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Tiamaat, there's plenty to choose from.

But I've found the Ulton Taifun GT IV to not be a bad RTA at all, airflow seems just about right and they can be fully stripped down and it uses glass in the tank so they'll work with any liquid/juice.

But it's a dammed good clone.

Also I could give you a few ideas on setting one up, 0.8mm × 0.2mm flat Stainless Steel 316L wire is pretty decent for a coil with them. 5 wraps at 3mm ID spaced, so there's a gap between the wraps will allow you to use TC as well.

Ulton Tripod clone is decent as well, just haven't cracked the wicking on that though yet. But it's flavour is astounding.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
The Zeus X Mesh RTA fits your specs perfectly! It is very beginner friendly & if you stock up on the mesh strips you can use any wicking material you like.
Getting into RTA's can be a steep learning curve! To get it all figured out, could take some time & many attempts at building :( A mesh RTA eliminates most of the variables & makes it quite easy to set up & get a high quality vaping experience :)

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I think most important is to choose an rta for the vaping style u like atm...and that depends on the wattage u vape right now with the nrg tank even tho in future u may change your style :p
You probably vape a mesh coil and you should know that mesh with coil is different experience that an rta or even a mesh rta.....mesh rtas are very good in flavour and if u buy many mesh strips or better buy a mesh spool it can last you for very looooong time....just keep in mind not all mesh rtas use the same mesh strips but with a spool u can cut the mesh to fit any of those..
Myself I prefer coil rtas cause mesh rtas even tho they give amazing flavour they don't give me a warm vape that I like...but if u like a cooler vape then u gonna like a mesh rta for sure cause u vape mesh already...

Since u say u want to use wire coil I guess any single coil rta from the known and good rtas out there gonna be fine for a beginner cause in my opinion almost all rtas out there perform good if u learn to build them good...
I guess the hellvape destiny rta is a good and cheap single coil rta...
But there are sooo many good ones and people here have big collections and know better than me to suggest...
Just don't worry tooo much if u gonna get the best cause there is no best really...
:)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I am looking for a DL RTA with a big airflow and nice flavor. ...

Can't really make any Suggestions on a good DL RTA. Because I like more of a Restrictive DL Hit.

But when I would look for a RTA, I would pass over just about Any RTA that used an 810 Drip Tip. Because those, generally, are built more for Wide Open air flow.

Not to say that a RTA with a 510 Drip Tip can't give you a good DL Hit. Some can. But as a Rule of Thumb, if you are looking for RTA to do DL Hits, going with something with a 810 Drip Tip will likely work better.

Last edited:

Tiamaat

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2020
Constanta, Romania
I'm way too busy to fiddle with a RTA. I went the squonker route with an RDA and never looked back.

Dunno why the ideea of squonker + RDA doesnt attract me at all, i understood RDAs have the best flavor but since i will vape a lot while im outside and in my house while playing online games ( when i cannot pay too much attention to my vape) i was thinking RTA would be a more suited choise for my

Tiamaat

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2020
Constanta, Romania
I think most important is to choose an rta for the vaping style u like atm...and that depends on the wattage u vape right now with the nrg tank even tho in future u may change your style :p
You probably vape a mesh coil and you should know that mesh with coil is different experience that an rta or even a mesh rta.....mesh rtas are very good in flavour and if u buy many mesh strips or better buy a mesh spool it can last you for very looooong time....just keep in mind not all mesh rtas use the same mesh strips but with a spool u can cut the mesh to fit any of those..
Myself I prefer coil rtas cause mesh rtas even tho they give amazing flavour they don't give me a warm vape that I like...but if u like a cooler vape then u gonna like a mesh rta for sure cause u vape mesh already...

Since u say u want to use wire coil I guess any single coil rta from the known and good rtas out there gonna be fine for a beginner cause in my opinion almost all rtas out there perform good if u learn to build them good...
I guess the hellvape destiny rta is a good and cheap single coil rta...
But there are sooo many good ones and people here have big collections and know better than me to suggest...
Just don't worry tooo much if u gonna get the best cause there is no best really...
:)

your last phrase was exactly my worry . i started reading reviews and watching youtube video to be able to choose something and instead of helping me it made matters much worse because i couldnt get a clear answer so in the end its about what suits you the most

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

Tiamaat

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2020
Constanta, Romania
thank you for the suggestions, i will keep them in mind, for now i bought a Gear RTA since it isnt the most expensive device, it seems pretty flavorful and easy to use. It has a small capacity for my taste but i can get something else after i learn how to use it properly. The reason for buing it was that pretty much everybody praised the flavor on it. I also bought a DIY coil kit since i didnt had any tools for this and i cannot wait to start experimenting with different wires and build :)

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
thank you for the suggestions, i will keep them in mind, for now i bought a Gear RTA since it isnt the most expensive device, it seems pretty flavorful and easy to use. It has a small capacity for my taste but i can get something else after i learn how to use it properly. The reason for buing it was that pretty much everybody praised the flavor on it. I also bought a DIY coil kit since i didnt had any tools for this and i cannot wait to start experimenting with different wires and build :)

Nice I am sure u gonna like it when u learn it...at first I recommend to not try many different coils and to just master the wicking of cotton building with one coil and when u learn to build it good then u gonna use any coil u want and experiment...anyways either way enjoy :)
Cheaper and better vaping :p mouhahahahaha

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The Gear RTA is a Great Compact RTA. A Great choice for an On-the-Go setup.

It does go thru e-Liquid Fast. And it Doesn't have a Huge Tank. But I give it High Marks for Flavor. And Relative Ease of Use.

• Useful
Reactions: Superuser187

Tiamaat

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2020
Constanta, Romania
The Gear RTA is a Great Compact RTA. A Great choice for an On-the-Go setup.

It does go thru e-Liquid Fast. And it Doesn't have a Huge Tank. But I give it High Marks for Flavor. And Relative Ease of Use.

this was exactly what i said. i dont mind giving up the small capacity of the tank for a very good flavor that also comes with a ease of use, since flavor is the reason i decided going into RBAs

Tiamaat

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2020
Constanta, Romania
Nice I am sure u gonna like it when u learn it...at first I recommend to not try many different coils and to just master the wicking of cotton building with one coil and when u learn to build it good then u gonna use any coil u want and experiment...anyways either way enjoy :)
Cheaper and better vaping :p mouhahahahaha

I am also sure i will like doing RBAs, and my plan is the same as you suggested. First learning how to properly wick the coil then testing different wires and experiment with it . It wont be so much cheaper since what i spend now because my GT coils last for 2-3 weeks and i buy them in packs of 5 at a very nice discounted price. Considering the fact that i probably will use even more juice on the RTA ( i use about 500-600 ml of diy juice) , there is a chance it will be actually a little more expensive but i dont mind. While i do love using my Revenger with the NRG tank and its ease of use, i am pretty sure the flavor on the Gear will be A LOT better and also i am the kind of person that likes to learn constantly. I see so much stuff on the internet regarding RBA and i feel like i am missing a lot so that the main reason i decided it s time to join the party :)

• Winner

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I am also sure i will like doing RBAs, and my plan is the same as you suggested. First learning how to properly wick the coil then testing different wires and experiment with it . It wont be so much cheaper since what i spend now because my GT coils last for 2-3 weeks and i buy them in packs of 5 at a very nice discounted price. Considering the fact that i probably will use even more juice on the RTA ( i use about 500-600 ml of diy juice) , there is a chance it will be actually a little more expensive but i dont mind. While i do love using my Revenger with the NRG tank and its ease of use, i am pretty sure the flavor on the Gear will be A LOT better and also i am the kind of person that likes to learn constantly. I see so much stuff on the internet regarding RBA and i feel like i am missing a lot so that the main reason i decided it s time to join the party :)

Yes u will see how it goes....the juice consumption maybe it won't be that much more since mesh gt coil I guess will drink lot of juice already cause u know mesh is thirsty always.....but now u gonna swap the cotton let's say for example every week and this is basically no cost cause it's sooooo cheap and u always have a fresh and nice vape :D.....the coils can last many months on rebuildables anyways..
U may spend much money at first as u experiment with different wires and all :p but when u find the ones u like it's gonna be just the juices cost...
Keep in mind mesh is very different and u may don't feel u get that huge instant flavour at first but take your time and all gonna work out..
And it's fun and nice to build plus u know rtas can be used for ever cause u can always buy cotton and wire
:headbang:

Tiamaat

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2020
Constanta, Romania
Isn't a techno music dj or something called tiamat?
Or maybe metal band or something can't remember but I had a friend that he was so into that haha
Metal Band :) but took the name from the babilonian godess , i had a thing of naming all my World of warcraft characters with names of gods from different religions and this one sticked with me even after i ended my time in Wow.

• Winner

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have the Revenger X and NRG tank. Personally, I like restricted DL but wanted the mod so tried full blown DL with that tank. I can handle it (with lower nic) but not my regular thing (funny... I'll be vaping that tonight... even ordered 3 more coils just for fun) I suggest a top-air RTA. No suggestions because I only have loose MTL and restricted DL RTAs but I know who can recommend some... @Shawn Hoefer

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread