Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi everyone! Can hussar X use the top part of X mtl or 1.5 rta? I really want a true top-fill instead of side-fill.

I was curious about this, so I made @ShowMeTwice do an experiment ;)
    His results are here:
    Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Generally Hussar claims their topcap sections are cross-compatiable between the Project X and v1.5 but if you want it confirmed, I'd start a thread about in the v1.5 product forum:
    $20.99 SXK Hussar V1.5 Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 2ml / 316 stainless steel + PC / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Free Shipping

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I've found this tank pretty easy to wick. Just cut the cotton flush with the base, fluff it out and put it carefully inside the channels. Zero dry hits and excellent flavor.

hbKkqMj.jpg

5BlYPDc.jpg

XQb4OJR.jpg

I'm really enjoying seeing your wicking tutorials around the threads. Welcome to ECF :wub:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Hows it goin guys. Still loving my project x. I got a question, a while ago I ordered extra o rings for this from fast tech. I wanted to change them all out but I noticed they aren't matching. Im not seeing any big red o rings on my project x but in the replacement spare kit theres two big red o rings in there. These are the ones I ordered
    $1.08 Coppervape Replacement Spare Kit for Hussar Project X RTA - 2*red o-rings + 5*black o-rings + 1*brown o-ring + 2*screws at FastTech - Free Shipping

Are there some big red o rings on this rta that im missing cause I dont see them?
    Sorry, I haven't visited the thread in a bit.

I bought a couple of the spare o-rings via FT back when I got my X's. And yes, there are two red ones.
    9680750-2.jpg
    On my Project X's there are no red o-rings installed. Here is a photo of an X with all parts laid out.
    Hussar Project X PARTS.png

If you swap yours just match them one-by-one with the spares and you should be set.

ETA: This may help... there 12 o-rings total (see above parts pic).
    9684757-6cr.jpg

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    You want the SJMY version of the 2k16 doggy RTA. The sxk 2k16 has only a 1.6mm airflow hole. SJMY has 2.3mm.

$13.17 SJMY Doggystyle Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel + acrylic at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Glad I bought some SJMY 2k16's, and 10 spare clear tank sections, while they were still in-stock. All out of the SJMY's now. A year later, I'm still on my first clear tank section. As long as I'm careful I don't see the threads stripping. :)

B-b-but, seeing as this is the X thread...
    IMG_0231cr.jpg

Always lovin' the X baby!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I might be looking to move my X MTL, IDK, still thinking. It was nice, solid vape and all, but hasn't gotten much use. And w/the regular X's it likely won't. We'll see.

Nailz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Just need some ideas guys...my cotton seems to be wicking only from one side...and find one side with no bubbles at all...is this normal. I feel like the vape is not as "wet" as it should be because of this?

Did you thin the cotton at all? I always slim down the cotton, too much and will not wick as well, how thin I have my cotton, I would think it would leak, but it doesn't, less is more with the hussar I find.

• Agree
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

mav2000

ECF Veteran
    Apr 18, 2016
    Finally figured out my mistake. I was shoving the wick into the channels which hold the coil rod (near the coil, not on the outside of the deck) and not really over it. i think that was cutting off the juice flow. Putting in the wicks more like a bow shape has helped a lot. Still trying to get the best flavor from it though. The taifun gt3 is a lot better at this point.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Finally figured out my mistake. I was shoving the wick into the channels which hold the coil rod (near the coil, not on the outside of the deck) and not really over it. i think that was cutting off the juice flow. Putting in the wicks more like a bow shape has helped a lot. Still trying to get the best flavor from it though. The taifun gt3 is a lot better at this point.
    Pic may help...
    wick.jpg

After you get your wick placed in the coil... juice the wick up (see above). Take a paperclip, needle or small blade screwdriver and gently guide/place your wick into the channels leading away from the coil and into to the juice wells.

Still getting a lot of dry hits and when I checked the wick, it was like one side was brown and the other side was ok. Read some of the forum again and decided to make a 2.5mm coil instead of the 3mm I was usually using. So far so good..will report back in some time as to if this worked.
    Sounds like you have too much wick and/or you still need to trim more from the wick. What type if wick are you using??? Cotton or rayon???

When you place your wick in the coil with cotton you should feel some resistance when moving the wick side-to-side. Too tight = dry hits. Too loose and it may flood the deck.

If rayon, you will use about a 1/3 more wick vs cotton. You want to feel it pretty tight in the coil. Some hear a squeaking sound.

If still using a 3mm ID coil you will need to trim from the sides of the tails. And also a good amount from the top (as @Nailz said) in order for proper juice flow. Too much wick on the top will mess with the juice flow leading to dry hits.

If one side of the wick is darker that can be from a longer tail on that side (tails should be evenly trimmed). Or the shoulders of the wick in the coil were not evened out. When you have the wick in the coil move it left and right a few times until each side (shoulder) looks even. You do not want one side looking more bunched up.

On page 1 of this thread there is a PDF tutorial for building the Project X. You may find it helpful.

Most find 2.5mm ID coils to be perfect in the X. I did try a 3mm ID coil in the X and it worked fine but find I get better performance with 2.5's.

Looking forward to your next update. :)

• Useful
    Reactions: Nailz

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Sigh. Every time I see this thread, I feel guilty. Want to build it but it looks like one of them "project" RTAs.
    Sigh.

Anna
    Hi Anna!!! I hope life finds you well.

You may surprise yourself with the Project X. It really is like any other RTA. Once you find the sweet spot it's like ridin' a bike. :)

• Agree
    Reactions: Opinionated

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Still getting a lot of dry hits and when I checked the wick, it was like one side was brown and the other side was ok. Read some of the forum again and decided to make a 2.5mm coil instead of the 3mm I was usually using. So far so good..will report back in some time as to if this worked.
    If you can post a photo of your build with wick that would help a lot. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread