All Atomizers SUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadThad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Cincinnati
I've been vaping for over a year now. I've tried lots of devices and atomizers and have come to the conclusion that the atomizer is the WEAKEST link in vaping. Even though I dilute my 28 mg ejuice down to about 18 mg with PG/VG (70:30), my atomizers still get gunk on the coil. The black, carbonized layer cuts down the atty efficiency substantially after 2-5 days of vaping....depending on the atty brand. It doesn't matter what brand/type, they ALL do this.

Is there any hope for this technology? There has GOT to be a better method than these blasted metal coils of wire!

djbishybish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2011
Kansas
Just keep em blowed out and dripping wet at all times...sounds like your hitting them too much before re-dripping. Atomizers will always be the best vape for me. Cartos are horrible nasty metal/polyfill tasting crap imo.

This. I can use attys for quite a while before they're below performing standards. They have a learning curve, that's for sure, but they're the best way to vape when you figure it out IMO.

Dan Patrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Texas Forest Country
I only used atomizers for the first 6-8 months of vaping. I tried them all. I have concluded that Avid Vapor (Cisco) and Iken vape are the best. The Iken vape Cannon 2.5 is all I put on my Monkeyboxx VV. HH 357's at 1.5 is all I use on my REO's and 1.5 LR Cisco 306's and 510's have been great on my other 3.7 devises and it's all my wife will use on her GLV Super Mini. If I get a bad one, which has happened about once with each vendor over the course of the past year I contact the vendor and get it easily rectified.

I have tried cartomizers off and on with success. I haven't had any luck with DCC, I just don't think they work as good as single coils on my set ups. Right now I am on a heavy cartomizer phase. I use regular resistance 2.8 or so 510 Boge carto's on my Darwin with a liquinator or without, and I have one that has lasted me about a month, with a little drop off in vapor, on the Darwin. They work very well and make lots of vapor. Some people say that they don't have as much flavor. I think they have tons of flavor, and they need to order double flavor or most juices in a carto.

I don't have a favorite carto or atomizer, but if I had to pick one thing that really satisfies my cravings its a 2.8ohm warm carto on the Dawrin with some Summer Freeze or Breeze from Vapor Cast. It seems the most like smoking, and I think people should try it if they are atomizer only so far. Anyone that has just started vaping, should start with cartomizers, or at least try one.

Making blanket statements are a bit hard. I love both, and think they both have the potential to keep someone off smokes, and make huge amounts of vapor, on the right set up.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
BadThad, I've found the best thing for attys and cartos is to clean them before they get really gunked.

I've found Boge 3.0 ohm cartos to be reliable for about 5-6 ml., then I chuck them in the "to be washed" bucket. Echo-E cartos can go a bit longer, maybe 6-8 ml., then I wash them, too.

When I used to use attys plus carts, I'd wash the attys and change the cart filler about every 2-3 ml. Now I use attys for dripping new flavors. They wind up in the "to be cleaned" bucket after only a few drops.

If the gradoo on an atty is still caramelized and brown, and it's not too thick, the atty will clean up well using isopropyl alcohol in an ultrasonic cleaner. But once it's gotten thick and/or black, then there's often not much hope for the atty.

My dad raised me to be somewhat compulsive about maintenance; and, over the years, I have found that it goes a long way toward maximizing the service life of the things I buy and use.

I have a 2004 model vehicle and ignore the manufacturer recommendation of changing the oil every 12K miles. I change it, instead, every 3K miles, put Slick-50 in it every three oil changes; and have an engine that drains old oil which is visually indistinguishable from new oil. While all my neighbors are blowing forty bucks buying new Lasko fans, at the beginning of every Summer, I'm still putting-along with a McGraw-Edison window fan that is more than 30 years old, and running perfectly; because I take a half-hour at the beginning of every season to disassemble it, clean the motor windings and bearings, and re-lube the bearings.

I think that the same sort of approach certainly applies to PVs.

I have found excellent results in KEEPING my atties CLEAN. I used to use a Water Pik, loaded with hot water, to blast the crap out of atomizers--until I blew the wick out of a BE112, once. That changed my approach to cleaning a little bit.

Get yourself an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and use seven, or so, atties in rotation--one atty per day. Save 'em up and clean them one night a week, as a matter of habit. Don't use an atty until it has been cleaned and re-primed. (I re-prime by putting 3 drops of niquid in each atty and let them stand overnight, battery connector side down, on a piece of paper towel.)

There is an excellent thread about ultrasonic cleaners, solutions used for cleaning, as well as number and length of cleaning cycles here.

Hopefully this is taken as an offer of helpful advice instead of sound naggy...LOL...I didn't get a lot of sleep, last night, and don't have a lot on the ball this morning (need more coffee).

Optimo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Virginia
I agree. They suck. Bad reliability, bad performance, bad value for money. I've got around $100 worth, in the trash can. In my experience, cartos are much more reliable and predictable. They usually work.

You must be buying cheap knockoff atomizers then...or not using them correctly. Try some from Ikenvape or Cisco spec. Nothing in the vaping world right now will come close to having as much flavor/TH/vapor production than a good atomizer. Cartomizers are easier to use and might last longer before having to clean but if you like to taste your juice they suck.

laurel099

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I had very good luck with the Cisco LR306's for over a year. The HH357.. Almost 3 months in and still performs like new.

I follow the instructions I received for cleaning them on all my attys and I think the key is to clean them OFTEN and before the stuff gets really caked on. I soak in Everclear or Vodka. No rinse, no dry just blow them out into paper towel, juice and puff until they spring back to life. I have heard the Everclear or Vodka in the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner works very well too.

Once that crud gets baked onto the coil - it is kinda too late. When I'd clean mine every 3-4 days I would get 3-4 good weeks out of the Cisco LR306's. I actually never killed one but I can weaken them at the knees in month. The HH357.. is amazing. Almost 3 months and still works like new. My sister (who kills EVERYTHING) is also nearing 3 months on her first one. She is doing the Everclear soak every few days as well.

BadThad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Cincinnati
My problem is not with cleaning. I'm a chemist and I have every solvent available and a lab grade sonicator. I can get them clean. My process is more sophisticated than most, I run them through a solvent polarity ladder....I've found this works best. I use deionized water (18 Mohm), acetone, methanol, isopropanol, toluene, then I reverse the process and gently blow out the atty with our air line. I have found our lab sonicator to be far too powerful for atomizers in that it can dislodge the coil.

My main complaint in this thread is the DESIGN of atomizers. They are akin to an incandesent light bulb with their wire coil. There has GOT to be a better why to vaporize the liquid. I was even thinking of designing a mini-sonicator that could aerosolize the liquid into a vapor.

makasin

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2010
San Diego
since I cant really stand most cartomizers (the taste is most of the time weird and metallic or burny and gives me headaches, similar to primer but it cant be cleaned), i gotta stick with atomizers. Sure they are the weakest link but there really isnt much you can do about the technology. It is definately slowly improving though.

joc3721

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Colorado
I've had Ikenvapes attys and a 357. I followed the directions, but never cleaned one, but also never got far enough along with one that cleaning was needed. The Iken had a weird, hot metallic taste I could never get rid of. It died after a week. The 357 was great, for 3 days, then it died. There are no returns or warranties with these products. For such a finicky device, I just don't want to fool with it. I admit that when everything was perfect, the 357 delivered a great flavor/hit. The constant fiddling and feeding to keep it running perfectly is just not for me. I find I can get nearly the same results with a good carto with much less hassle. Having good luck with the resurrectors and boges. Different strokes.....

You must be buying cheap knockoff atomizers then...or not using them correctly. Try some from Ikenvape or Cisco spec. Nothing in the vaping world right now will come close to having as much flavor/TH/vapor production than a good atomizer. Cartomizers are easier to use and might last longer before having to clean but if you like to taste your juice they suck.

Optimo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Virginia
I've had Ikenvapes attys and a 357. I followed the directions, but never cleaned one, but also never got far enough along with one that cleaning was needed. The Iken had a weird, hot metallic taste I could never get rid of. It died after a week. The 357 was great, for 3 days, then it died. There are no returns or warranties with these products. For such a finicky device, I just don't want to fool with it. I admit that when everything was perfect, the 357 delivered a great flavor/hit. The constant fiddling and feeding to keep it running perfectly is just not for me. I find I can get nearly the same results with a good carto with much less hassle. Having good luck with the resurrectors and boges. Different strokes.....

Sounds like you are vaping it dry if it tastes like that and only lasts you that long...that dosen't sound right at all...they last me months and taste clean for weeks before having to give them a soak.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
While I would not disagree with you on cleaning and lubing your window fan motor since it sucks in an enormous amount of particulates into generally unfiltered or sealed motors, I strongly would disagree with you on changing the oil in your car every 3 thousand miles.

In a past life my company supplied testing and measuring equipment to literally every single power train manufacturer on the planet (Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Opel, Renault, Peugeot, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls, to the US to South America, Asia, etc. etc.) This equipment was used both in the engine test centers as well as production to measure dimensional and surface characteristics. Every single engineer has told me that it is throwing away money to change oil so frequently due to the advances in both production equipment and lubricants. These are the guys who build new engines and test engines that have been used in all manner of trials. As a side note, the coolest thing I ever saw was at the BMW Munich plant where they build the McClaren BMW 12 cylinder engines for the $1,000,000 McClaren sports car. Every engine is run in 100 hours on a test stand. The engineer was showing me the test chamber and turned off the lights. The beautiful contoured exhaust headers were glowing red hot.

The only reason for advocating such frequent oil change is the automotive companies would have their dealerships on them like a pride of hungry hyennas if they proposed longer service intervals since the dealerships make their profit from service and not car sales. It is environmentally irresponsible to advocate such frequent oil changes.

As far as atty cleaning is concerned, a lot has to do with your vaping style. When I started vaping, I used carts which really ate through attys. The mechanical jostling of taking the cart on and off as well as the poor heat dissipation and vaping until dry caused a lot of premature atty failure. Dripping does allow for better heat dissipation, but then again people tend to vape until they run dry before topping off. Add to that the effect of different juices, voltages, and draw, you will not get two people to agree on anything.

My atty life has improved dramatically since I went to the ReoMini for being out and about and Vapemates with my BuzzPro and ProVari at home/office. The "auto feeders" keep the atty moist enough to not allow them to overheat.

My own preferred method is with ultrasonics and phosphoric acid (ice machine cleaner). While the acid part sounds bad, it is also used to wash poultry down to kill the salmonella.

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
omaha
The best day of my vaping "career" was when I gave up on atties and embraced the carto. I get better flavor (atty purist will call this sacrilege), I consistantly get 7-14 days..or more..out of a carto and they cost 75% less or more.

To be fair it could just be me but I read..re-read..re-read every thread I could find on caring for an atty. Blew them out..dry burned..flushed them every way you could think of with every concoction anyone threw out there and all I got for my effort was $7..$8..$9 atties dying on me in a day or so if not an hour or so. I tried all the "must have" atties from the "best" vendors and still...failure. The local authorities are still looking for me and if caught I apparently will be charged with "attricide"...the killing of atties with total disregard....

I know folks that have problems with cartos that are akin to the problems I had with atties....I guess hardware is as "subjective" as juice/taste is. You have to find what works FOR YOU and go from there.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Ahh yes..Ive been vaping for 1 year and 3 months. I started using atties, what a nightmare they were..They vaped good for a day or two. Then it was cleaning time...ugh.. I had enough when Boge screwed up and reconstructed the leo atty. At the same time they made those hideous tank atties..So I ordered some dual coil cartos, and I fell in love with the cartomizers..I have so many different types now..I usually get a week out of them, or more since I DIY my juice, I rotate about 3-8 cartos and that will last me a longer time.. At home I vape with a maxi roughstack v2 at 6 or 7 volts with numerous ohms, depending on my craving on flavor and nic delivery. At work I use my shorty Roughstack at 4.2 volts and use a boge 2.0 ohm carto, which I get a week out of that carto.. It's worth using cartos. Atties are way overpriced for their performance and time cleaning those darn things, which never vape the same when you first get them...CARTOS RULE and VAPE ON!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread