All VG is not created equal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LynGBH

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Not here.
I have both the Walmart Humco VG and this -
Amazon.com: NOW Foods Glycerine Vegetable, 16-Fluid Ounces: Health & Personal Care

I can't believe how much better the Now Foods brand tastes! It's tasty and slightly sweet, no chemical taste at all. The label says 100% pure, derived from non GMO palm oil or vegetable oil.

The Humco just doesn't cut it in comparison. It's somewhat nasty.

What's your favorite VG?

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Amazon.com: NOW Foods Glycerine Vegetable, 16-Fluid Ounces: Health & Personal Care

I can't believe how much better the Now Foods brand tastes! It's tasty and slightly sweet, no chemical taste at all. The label says 100% pure, derived from non GMO palm oil or vegetable oil.

The Humco just doesn't cut it in comparison. It's somewhat nasty.

What's your favorite VG?

I agree, I get the Now brand at Whole Foods. Much better, and it is considered food grade, so probably better for human consumption.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
I have only used xtreme vaping, and essential wholesale VG, both are USP and Kosher, and both are fine for me. I've also tried a little of Jynn's VG from PA and that's just as good. However, I never tried Humco or anything because when I first looked into VG I read that a lot of the standard USP 'Glycerin' was problematic so I made sure to buy something actually vegetable sourced in addition to being Glycerin.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
The Now Foods VG doesn't specifically say it's USP anywhere on the label, but does sat it's "Food Grade" and 100% pure. On the other hand, the Humco does have the USP labeling, but is only 99.5% glycerin/pure. Regardless, I'm sticking with the Now stuff. It just tastes a lot cleaner and of a higher quality than the Humco.

I don't trust anything that says 100% because that's simply not possible. It just makes me wonder how much they're rounding up. That aside, I wouldn't want food grade because it's less strict than USP. Also, from a recent FCC article:

Poster: Opportunities to modernize the compendial quality standard for food-grade glycerin to reduce the risk of adulteration
(#142-14; Monday, July 19; 11:00 a.m.–1:30 p.m.)

Moore, J.C.*; DeVries, J.W.**; Lipp, M.*; Holloway, G.*; Griffiths, J.C.*; * = U.S. Pharmacopeia Staff; ** = Medallion Labs/USP Food Ingredients Expert Committee

Human consumption of adulterated glycerin includes many tragedies over the past century involving hundreds of deaths. In the United States, recent revisions to the compendial standard for excipient-grade glycerin have been implemented to reduce the risk for adulteration of medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter) with diethylene glycol (DEG) and ethylene glycol (EG). The objectives for this study were to characterize the risks of potential dietary exposure to DEG adulterated glycerin, to assess the likelihood of economic adulteration and supply chain issues, and to identify opportunities to modernize the Food Chemicals Codex (FCC) standard for glycerin to mitigate the risk for adulteration with DEG and other potential adulterants. Results indicate that economic incentive and supply chain confusion could lead to gross adulteration of food-grade glycerin, and that low-level adulteration from supply chain contamination is possible. Dietary exposure to DEG/EG adulterat! ed glycerin would pose a serious food safety concern even when adulterated at low levels. The current FCC standard for glycerin is capable of only detecting materials adulterated with significant (5–10%) levels of DEG, and flagrant replacement with other potential adulterants. To prevent the risk of low-level DEG/EG adulteration of glycerin, the addition of a GC method capable of detecting such adulterants is recommended for the FCC. Investigation into new quantitative assay methods capable of distinguishing glycerin from other potential economic adulterants is also recommended.

Source: FCC Resources (July 2010)

As a further note, USP Glycerin requires every batch to be tested to have <0.10% of DEG and EG (compared to 5-10% detection threshold in food grade).

Last edited:

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
Well I just like to have the information and I share it, but you can do what you want with it. USP certifies greater than 99% purity (excluding H2O) and <0.1% DEG and <0.1% EG and that's it. A company claiming to be higher in purity than that does not mean it's any purer than another company's USP Glycerin, nor does it officially mean anything.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I don't trust anything that says 100% because that's simply not possible. It just makes me wonder how much they're rounding up. That aside, I wouldn't want food grade because it's less strict than USP. Also, from a recent FCC article:

Poster: Opportunities to modernize the compendial quality standard for food-grade glycerin to reduce the risk of adulteration
(#142-14; Monday, July 19; 11:00 a.m.–1:30 p.m.)

Moore, J.C.*; DeVries, J.W.**; Lipp, M.*; Holloway, G.*; Griffiths, J.C.*; * = U.S. Pharmacopeia Staff; ** = Medallion Labs/USP Food Ingredients Expert Committee

Human consumption of adulterated glycerin includes many tragedies over the past century involving hundreds of deaths. In the United States, recent revisions to the compendial standard for excipient-grade glycerin have been implemented to reduce the risk for adulteration of medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter) with diethylene glycol (DEG) and ethylene glycol (EG). The objectives for this study were to characterize the risks of potential dietary exposure to DEG adulterated glycerin, to assess the likelihood of economic adulteration and supply chain issues, and to identify opportunities to modernize the Food Chemicals Codex (FCC) standard for glycerin to mitigate the risk for adulteration with DEG and other potential adulterants. Results indicate that economic incentive and supply chain confusion could lead to gross adulteration of food-grade glycerin, and that low-level adulteration from supply chain contamination is possible. Dietary exposure to DEG/EG adulterat! ed glycerin would pose a serious food safety concern even when adulterated at low levels. The current FCC standard for glycerin is capable of only detecting materials adulterated with significant (5–10%) levels of DEG, and flagrant replacement with other potential adulterants. To prevent the risk of low-level DEG/EG adulteration of glycerin, the addition of a GC method capable of detecting such adulterants is recommended for the FCC. Investigation into new quantitative assay methods capable of distinguishing glycerin from other potential economic adulterants is also recommended.

Source: FCC Resources

As a further note, USP Glycerin requires every batch to be tested to have <0.10% of DEG and EG (compared to 5-10% detection threshold in food grade).

Be that as it may, the 'Now' brand tastes better and is 100% vegitarian. Which means alot to me considering the fact that I am pescaterian. I will stick w/ it because it works fine and tastes less like wax. That is important. Some half a percent of difference doesn't hold a candle to the fact that it is trusted by Whole Foods and works well for me. Whole Foods has a rep to maintain and doesn't normally risk their image on the quick buck item that claims more than it is.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Well I just like to have the information and I share it, but you can do what you want with it. USP certifies greater than 99% purity (excluding H2O) and <0.1% DEG and <0.1% EG and that's it. A company claiming to be higher in purity than that does not mean it's any purer than another company's USP Glycerin, nor does it officially mean anything.

99.5 USP doesn't necesarily mean .5% water, BTW, that is an assumption. And I disagree that ANY company can get away with mass marketing something as being 100% glycerin if it is not. That is blatent fraud. Please prove otherwise.

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
You can "get away" with claiming glycerine is 100% because there IS NO LAW stating you can't. Glycerine is an artificial compound, it does not occur in nature. It is synthesized from any of a variety of sources. ONLY USP glycerine is bound by law to be what it claims to be. Not saying that a rabbi or food-conscious person DIDN'T hold their company to a higher standard, only that they aren't REQUIRED to do so.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
This is even better. Both raw ingredients and finished products are tested to meet USP standards. I'm much more likely to trust this company over that which is carried by Walmart as their generic brand.
NOW Foods - Glycerin or Diethylene Glycol?

NAYY and all that....it just tastes good!

Good that they test it for USP grade quality, but I don't understand why they don't use the USP monograph then.:confused:

99.5 USP doesn't necesarily mean .5% water, BTW, that is an assumption. And I disagree that ANY company can get away with mass marketing something as being 100% glycerin if it is not. That is blatent fraud. Please prove otherwise.

What? USP testing ignores H2O when testing for their monograph, if you misunderstood that sentence.

Nothing is going to be literally 100% pure, molecule by molecule, in every bottle made, and any claim by any company on just about any product that says 100% Pure Chemical X is simply a marketing tactic where they round up. I can accept 99.9% claims, or do they make it entirely in a vacuum and then vacuum seal the bottle with no air in it?

I never said I'd use Humco or anything 'USP Glycerin' over a vegetable-based source - if it came down to Humco and NOW I'd use the NOW brand. However, when there's USP + Kosher + Vegetable-source Glycerin out there cheaper than the NOW, I'll use that.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Good that they test it for USP grade quality, but I don't understand why they don't use the USP monograph then.:confused:

Not sure if this is the case here, but it has been said that in regard to premixed juices, once they crack open that 50 gallon drum of USP grade VG and put it into smaller bottles, there's a whole different set of criteria that have to be met in order to slap a USP label on it. Same product, just a different bottle.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA

I also use NOW, but mine comes in different bottling, and the back label says it is "....... USP and food grade, all natural product derived from vegetable oil." I wonder if yours is the same as mine, but they have new labeling? Here's my link: Vegetable Glycerine 100% Pure Versatile Skin Care from NOW on sale. Find information about NOW. But I'm going to do as GoodDog is doing. I'm going to order from Essential next time.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I've been using the NOW for quite some time but getting low. I just ordered from Essential and will see which is better and let you know my thoughts when I try it.

Yes GoodDog, please let us know how you like it. I'm not getting low yet, but I haven't heard anyone else's comments on the Essential, and I almost ordered until another ECF DIYer came over to visit and gifted me a 16oz bottle of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread