Am I allowed to write about my (positive) IQOS experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
It works well for me, when vaping just wouldn't. Tried it all, sub ohm the lot, since 2009. IQOS has me smoke free now 100%

I'll write about it impartially and with the full admission it is only my own subjective experience and that if you enjoy vaping I advise you to stick with it and not try IQOS, as although I feel healthier, we just do not know yet.

I've been on here since about 2009, so can be trusted I'm not a PMI shill etc. Some might remember me, some not. You can check my posting history. I've always been positive about vaping.

If it's not welcome, I understand and fair enough.

Kind Regards

HW

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
OK here goes.

Firstly I am not here to promote this over vaping. If you enjoy vaping and it works for you, read no more, click off of this post and be done. You vape, it works, keep at it amigo and be happy. You don't need this and never will, plus vaping is cheaper and I firmly believe it IS healthier than IQOS.

I am reviewing it for those that cannot switch or are dual users or are struggling.

I used to smoke marlboro lights / gold. I cut down to about 5 a day and more at weekends if rinking. Then I started vaping in 2009 when Janty Ego was the best you could get (and wasn't too bad either.) I still smoked or dual used when I drank. Fast forward to 2018 and my vape set up is coolfire 4 Plus with Aspire Cleito .4ohm sub ohm coild and tanks. If you like vaping this is amazing, lots of vapour, can get it just as hot as you like, flavours are clean and strong, batteries and coils last forever etc. It is perfect for me, almost like dripping - but in a tank! Amazing!

But for me I still craved the taste of tobacco. Another thing that is particular to me and does not change no matter how long I give it is that if I do not smoke in the evening I do not sleep. Anyhow, I cut down to 3 cigs a day, one at 6pm, one at 8pm and one before bed. No vaping. I don't drink hardly at all anymore except holidays and special occasions. Those 3 were all I needed. BUT I still felt drained all day, foggy in the morning, coughing up mucus in the shower from time to time, waking up with a fog in my head and on my chest, just a basically horrid detrimental effect on my health even though only 3 a day. Weird heart feelings. I have been using IQOS and HEETS for a week now. I still only have 3 to 4 a day. What can I say? After day two no more mucus, no more head and chest fog, no more getting out of breath or hear palpitations, no more fatigue and weak feeling all day. No more ash, no more smell on fingers, hand or clothes and better oral health. I'm not here to convert anyone. I loved vaping but it just did not cut it for me.

So that's my story. IQOS has given me my energy and health back, I FEEL as healthy as when I only vaped. Some throat irritation for the first few days and then it went.

How does it feel? It's amazingly good - if you still like tobacco (and I know a lot of you do not and fair play to you all). You get the tobacco taste (I don't like the Amber HEETS, I like Yellow and Menthol) the smoke feel and flavour and nicotine rush is just like a cig, more satisfying than vape to me, and the amount of vapour - it is not smoke - is surprisingly good even outdoors, not as much as a cig but really close and they have made them so the flavour is really good. Also I feel satisfied after one HEET. It feels the same as having one cig but without any nasty effects in my health. With vape I just wanted to chain vape all the time.

With IQOS I vape one HEET and I'm satisfied just like with a cig. I still have only 3 to 4 a day and I sleep perfectly.

To me it is revolutionary, I will never go back to cigs even if having a few beers (could never say that with just vaping) and will use IQOS for as long as it is allowed.

Cleaner, feels healthier. I know the data is not 100% accepted and some believe is suspect - ie PMI's claims of 90% less harmful than smoking - but all I can say is I FEEL SO MUCH HEALTHIER NOW it has literally changed my life and moods (even my 3 to 4 cigs a day made me anxious and a bit depressed at times.) Even if it's only 50% healthier I'd take it. I just feel so much stronger, energetic and ALIVE again. Plus it's - for me - very enjoyable, as much as a real cig.

The device is well made and so far works flawlessly. I was never a heavy smoker or heavy vaper or heavy dual user, so the charging time and puff limit doesn't bother me. You have to clean it every 20 sticks, you have to maintain your vape so this comes naturally to me.

The price is similar per pack of 20 to a pack of 20 cigs so no money savings to be made. Well there are online cheaper places but I will not mention them here.

All I can say is that for ME in my subjective experience only a week and a bit in, I'm sold on it, enjoy it as much as smoking and feel 100% healthier again.

I will neither smoke not use e-cigs anymore. Neither are for me. Given the choice between the two sadly I would choose smoking. I'm firmly addicted to tobacco, there's no two ways about it. So for me it's a massive win and a revolution this new tech.

That's all.

Thanks for letting me post and thanks mods f you don't delete it. If you do, I understand.

Kind Regards

HW

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
NB - I believe what I am experiencing has a lot to do with no carbon monoxide in Heet vapour and although their is 'tar' - a misnomer, but some of you will know that and be able to describe why better than me- it stays in the HEET stick not in the vapour or aerosol that you inhale. If you do inhale any of it it is just so much cleaner. But yeah no fire = no CO. Just my guess.

Reactions: stols001

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Thanks for posting.

I think that's great and I'm chuffed it's working for you - and that you feel better. And if it is 'only' a 50% improvement, that's good going. "There's more than one way to do it", and although vaping's a clever trick, there are places I don't really think it can go - well, not too convincingly. (I often wonder if the gear & hobby side of it picks up some of the slack there). I'm an occasional smoker and it's usually months apart, but it's nice when I do. Since it's rare, I'll probably just keep it real.

I do buy into the idea that IQOS is safer than smoking, but I suspect one issue for me would be the return of those running costs. Vaping isn't necessarily cheap, but the spend is different - it's sporadic. I fear that with IQOS I'd be back on 20+ a day, all too quickly. Still - if I'm offered a shot, I'll pounce!

I sincerely hope you continue to enjoy it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If you enjoy vaping and it works for you, read no more, click off of this post and be done.
I do enjoy vaping, and it has worked well enough to keep me off cigs for 4-1/2 years now.

But sometimes I still get the feeling that something is missing, so on an upcoming trip to Europe, I'm seriously thinking about visiting an IQOS store and trying them.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Sounds good. I just don't think I want to get that close to a cig again. Wouldn't like the cost and hate the idea of giving money to the tobacco companies again.
    I do tho have all or most of the issues that you have. You don't think that there is a placebo effect going on? Seems like quite a change in such a short period of time.
    Happy for you tho.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Thanks for your info...at five years into vaping I still realize it's limitations at replicating the experience I had from smoking....perhaps this HNB tech might be a an actual venue to use as an occasional " treat" for me , kind of a way to dip my toes into the water without getting drowned, if you catch my drift. We are living in amazing times

tailland

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    IQOS has me smoke free now 100%
    Actually, no. You're still smoking cigarettes. "Light" cigarettes, but still.

The IQOS is a deceptive little device, cloaking what the heat extracts from the tobacco in a vapor of the propylene glycol the tobacco is soaked in. As soon as the vapor reaches your loung, that's where it's all set free. And yes, that includes tar (see https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Advis...uctsScientificAdvisoryCommittee/UCM594327.pdf (with special attention to the table on page 15)). The main reason why you feel better, is because the amount of monoxides in the vapor is supersmall in comparison to a normal cig. But that's really it.

Concerning the betterment of your cardiovascular health: Not really.
    https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/sites/tobacco.ucsf.edu/files/u9/iQOS-Poster-11-1-17.pdf

The IQOS is simply the tobacco industry's next big lie. Sorry to burst the bubble.
    I wish it were different, for your health's sake, but it is what is is.

Last edited:

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    NB - I believe what I am experiencing has a lot to do with no carbon monoxide in Heet vapour and although their is 'tar' - a misnomer, but some of you will know that and be able to describe why better than me- it stays in the HEET stick not in the vapour or aerosol that you inhale. If you do inhale any of it it is just so much cleaner. But yeah no fire = no CO. Just my guess.
    I've not tested IQOS, but some other HNB products, and yes, the CO emissions are usually minimal. Not unmeassurable, but very close to it.
    Same goes for alot of other stuff thats generated by burning dry plant material, like NOx, PAHs or HCN.

"Tar" can be misleading when used as term in tobacco analytics. Its calculated by total particular matter (everything that get cought on a glas fiber filter) minus Nicotine and water.
    It doesnt tell what "tar" consists of.
    You can meassure "tar" in ecig vapor, but in this case it'd just be PG/VG, not sticky, brown, water unsoluable sludge filled with carcinogens.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 20, 2010
    England
    Actually, no. You're still smoking cigarettes. "Light" cigarettes, but still.

The IQOS is a deceptive little device, cloaking what the heat extracts from the tobacco in a vapor of the propylene glycol the tobacco is soaked in. As soon as the vapor reaches your loung, that's where it's all set free. And yes, that includes tar (see https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Advis...uctsScientificAdvisoryCommittee/UCM594327.pdf (with special attention to the table on page 15)). The main reason why you feel better, is because the amount of monoxides in the vapor is supersmall in comparison to a normal cig. But that's really it.

Concerning the betterment of your cardiovascular health: Not really.
    https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/sites/tobacco.ucsf.edu/files/u9/iQOS-Poster-11-1-17.pdf

The IQOS is simply the tobacco industry's next big lie. Sorry to burst the bubble.
    I wish it were different, for your health's sake, but it is what is is.

Yes it is a vapour with reportedly 90 % less carcinogens than tobacco smoke (FDA agreed on that) and less CO to a very high factor (less than 1% than a cig if any at all bar trace ammounts the same as in air) and no tar - I've done the tissue test.

Vapes and tastes like a cig.

THAT'S what it is. I could quote as many articles etc as you saying the opposite to what you said and they're not from PMI either. I do believe you have cherry picked and are misleading others but like I said I'm not here to do that, just share my experience.

Cheers and try to read a wide range of sources.

EDIT - as to cardiovascular health the way some studies are worded are misleading. They mention stiffening of the arteries but it is the same short time that any nic hit gives you, be it vaping or smoking or even a cup of coffee, even exercise. But IQOS does not due to low CO and other contents, give the long term chronic effect where arteiries remain and grow narrower and stiffer due to plaque build up - they fail to mention this.

The temporary stiffening - I forget the tech term - is no different than from vaping, coffee or even exercise. It is the long term and chronic stiffening that matters most and HEET vapour will not produce that from that is shown from tests so far.

Again all I can also say is I don't feel like I smoke any more. I feel healthier.

Last edited:

Hotwire

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 20, 2010
    England
    I've not tested IQOS, but some other HNB products, and yes, the CO emissions are usually minimal. Not unmeassurable, but very close to it.
    Same goes for alot of other stuff thats generated by burning dry plant material, like NOx, PAHs or HCN.

"Tar" can be misleading when used as term in tobacco analytics. Its calculated by total particular matter (everything that get cought on a glas fiber filter) minus Nicotine and water.
    It doesnt tell what "tar" consists of.
    You can meassure "tar" in ecig vapor, but in this case it'd just be PG/VG, not sticky, brown, water unsoluable sludge filled with carcinogens.

Thanks for the intelligent reply. Tar is a misnomer to label anything released - ie such tests that measure 'tar' would refer to vape as 'tar' also. The IQOS HEET sticks have 'tar' in them it just is not what's in the vapour it produces as it is not burned. You open a filter after vaping one and it's clean as a bone. Blow the vapour through a tissue without inhaling - no dark spots.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread