Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
The wires don't tell the whole storey tho... they will get black on good coils as well from heating up, it's the cotton that is the most problem with taste.

:( crossing fingers so this batch is good!

How do I choose a good tank? For me what’s more important is flavor, should I choose an rda or rta?

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
:( crossing fingers so this batch is good!

How do I choose a good tank? For me what’s more important is flavor, should I choose an rda or rta?

It's a personal taste, but I'm not a cloud chaser. I only vape MTL (mouth to lung) more like a having a smoke as opposed to big clouds, for me it's all about flavour. So I use only rta's like kayfun prime, Dvarw, berserker, doggystyle. Those are all mtl rta's

If I were to get an mtl rta to start out today, I'd look for a doggystyle, I don't have it yet, (it's on the way) but have hear a lot of good things about them, so easy to build on, superb flavour etc and very cheap to purchase.

If your sub ohm vaper, I'm not the guy to talk to about those tanks. :)

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
Those are all rebuildable tanks I was mentioning, if you want a good mtl coil tank, I had a Zenith tank that comes with a Kroma A kit. It is one of the best mtl for drop in coils. Keep in mind with MTL you vape a much lower watts like usually 10 to 20 watts so they last longer and to me anyways taste better flavour.

I was getting 4 to 6 weeks with the coils on my Zenith tank so was good value.

Reactions: Baditude

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
You need baditude to come back to this thread, you want some good recommendations for tanks or mods, he's tried a few. Not the many others on here are not providing good recommendations... I myself got tired of drop in coils and build my own, but I think there are good tanks with good coils available.. I just started making my own before I found one.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
I think all recommendations are valid :) we all like different things!

I just want something simple. Something that allows me to change flavors quite constantly. And also, something that won’t be super expensive to do!

Thank you, My suggestion would definitely be the Zenith tank for you to try, it's a drop in coil, great flavour and mtl is going to be way cheaper than DL vaping if you enjoy it. You will only know for sure by trying it. If you can , watch some youtube video's on the zenith.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
Thank you, My suggestion would definitely be the Zenith tank for you to try, it's a drop in coil, great flavour and mtl is going to be way cheaper than DL vaping if you enjoy it. You will only know for sure by trying it. If you can , watch some youtube video's on the zenith.

I enjoy both MTL and DL :) I will try to find a store that sells it here in Peru

• Love
Reactions: Rockford

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I think all recommendations are valid :) we all like different things!

I just want something simple. Something that allows me to change flavors quite constantly. And also, something that won’t be super expensive to do!

You think they're all valid because I haven't posted yet. Regardless of what the person asks for or their budget, I always end up recommending a B2K with a squonk mod.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
The first thing I did after I tasted the burnt stuff was go back to 40w but all I taSte now is sugar. No more butter, toast or raspberry. I’ve noticed that I like to keep my watts around 50 and 60, so going back to 40w now with a coil that is most likely burnt is just soooo not satisfying[/USER]

I just looked at it better and the wires inside are black and burnt. I wasn’t crazy after all :evil:

From the description of your juice, it sounds to me to be a coil killer...sweet juices will tend to gunk up a coil quickly (1 or 2 days) the black stuff on the wire isn't burnt, it's just gunky buildup
You can try, not sure if it'll help much, but cleaning the coils....soak them overnight, or a few days, then let them air dry overnight or a few days.... I prefer to use a cheap bottle of vodka to clean my coils in but you can use water as well
but the same issue will occur that the coils will get gunked up within a day or two but at least you aren't throwing the coils away as quickly

with a prebuilt coil you can usually remove the cotton and dry burn the wire to remove the build up then put new cotton in....with a drop in coil, this isn't easily done as you usually can't remove the cotton

a side note as well, I wasn't really ready to build my own coils, but you can buy prebuilt coils for an rta (rda/rdta) and some even come with cotton installed as well...and they will still be a bit better quality than drop in coils...at least until you feel comfortable in trying to make your own

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Drop in coils will never be as flexible in use as building your own. That said, there are excellent drop in coil tanks out there that perform remarkably well even comparing to a rebuildable tank.

The latest and greatest the industry has come up with are mesh coils. As with all things, some companies are better than others. While I don't use drop in coils that frequently, I do enjoy my Freemax mesh pro with a dual mesh coil. The flavor is outstanding, the cloud good, and they can last me several weeks before becoming too muted, even with sweet commercial juices. The other highly regarded mesh based tanks are the Horizon Falcon, and a recent release that seems to be getting good buzz is the Herakles Sense tank. Obviously it comes down to what's available in your area.

Changing flavors with drop in coils can sometimes be problematic. The old taste may linger for a while. If you like lots of different juices and frequently change, then a rebuildable is much more cost effective and likely to give you a better taste experience as you are cleaning the coil and using fresh cotton each time you switch. Doing the same with factory coils can get real expensive.

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I've never heard of this one, tell me about it please ( I know it's a dripper)

B2K is a Canadian designed RDA. It's unique in the sense that it's similar size to a 22mm single coil flavour chaser, but because it's postless it has a huge deck and huge airflow. It allows for massive coils. Because the airflow is so high, you can vape it really hot and it has enough air to cool down. That means it's sort of a hybrid. It vapes like a dual coil high wattage RDA (i.e. drop dead, dead rabbit, drop) -I can put 110W through this single coil RDA-, but it has that small chamber flavour like a 22mm chaser (e.g. KRMA, entheon, citadel, hadaly, etc.)

Also means it has flexibility to do whatever you want. It has an insert for you to use it as a MTL at 10-20W. You can put in smaller single coil builds with a lot of cotton to reduce the chamber like a flavour chaser at 35-50W. Or you can go big balls put in a 0.15 quad core fused stapled juggerknot widowmaker and hit it at 110W.

Comes in a kit with 1 deck, 4 top caps, 8 driptip options, beauty rings, etc. It's sort of modular and so flexible that while it might not be everyone's #1 favourite, in my opinion it has the widest appeal.

• Informative
Reactions: Rockford

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
B2K is a Canadian designed RDA. It's unique in the sense that it's similar size to a 22mm single coil flavour chaser, but because it's postless it has a huge deck and huge airflow. It allows for massive coils. Because the airflow is so high, you can vape it really hot and it has enough air to cool down. That means it's sort of a hybrid. It vapes like a dual coil high wattage RDA (i.e. drop dead, dead rabbit, drop) -I can put 110W through this single coil RDA-, but it has that small chamber flavour like a 22mm chaser (e.g. KRMA, entheon, citadel, hadaly, etc.)

Also means it has flexibility to do whatever you want. It has an insert for you to use it as a MTL at 10-20W. You can put in smaller single coil builds with a lot of cotton to reduce the chamber like a flavour chaser at 35-50W. Or you can go big balls put in a 0.15 quad core fused stapled juggerknot widowmaker and hit it at 110W.

Comes in a kit with 1 deck, 4 top caps, 8 driptip options, beauty rings, etc. It's sort of modular and so flexible that while it might not be everyone's #1 favourite, in my opinion it has the widest appeal.

Wow, that sounds really interesting!. Where can you get it for a reasonable price? I really only like single batt mods tho.. would I be able to get a single batt squonk mod that would work with this?

I suppose if your using a larger coil it really sucks the juice back eh?

Last edited:

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
@PatVapes sorry for hijacking your thread. It seems like every time I post it turns out to be about the B2K. I'm working on it.

Wow, that sounds really interesting!. Where can you get it for a reasonable price? I really only like single batt mods tho.. would I be able to get a single batt squonk mod that would work with this?

Yes. The guy who designed owns a vape shop and they still carry it. But a bunch of other places have it. It may look expensive at 100 CAD (~75 USD), but you have to remember it comes with this:

20180322_221705-01_1024x1024.jpeg

• Spare O-rings
  • Hex Allen wrench
  • Chamber Reducer Adapter (for MTL)
  • 510 Bottom Feeder Pin
  • 510 Bottom Feeder Pin Plug
  • 4 Caps
    • Black Aluminum Anodized
    • Stainless Steel Sandblasted
    • White Delrin
    • Sandblasted Ultem
  • Stainless Steel 810 Splash Guard Disc
  • x8 Decorative heat fins
  • x4 510 Tips
  • x4 810 Tips
  • x4 Beauty Rings
    • Ultem
    • Clear Polycarbonate
    • White Derin
    • Black Delrin
B2K RSA TRVPMATIK (V5) BY BB VAPES BRVND

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada

I suppose if your using a larger coil it really sucks the juice back eh?

I think this might be great to try out all different kinds of vaping styles.... how's the flavour?

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I think this might be great to try out all different kinds of vaping styles.... how's the flavour?

I have RDAs I like better for certain flavour profiles. But overall, it handles all the flavours well and is IMO the best all rounder. Especially if you find the kind of build you like.

I've used it on an anemic single 18650 20A squonker, a punchy 20700 regulated squonker, and dual battery squonker in the 100Ws. In power and TC. It'll work on anything with an appropriate build.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I enjoy both MTL and DL :) I will try to find a store that sells it here in Peru
If you want to try a rebuildable, the Wotofo Serpent SMM and the Geekvape Zeus are readily available everywhere. Get a pack of premade coils (although I recommend the coils that come with the tanks) and you'll be great with them.
Another great tank that is easy to build is the Augvape Intake.

Che, en serio, tienen mas variedad que nosotros. No consigo el Intake, no se si pasa por Mercosur.

Reactions: keelalagirl55

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last night I tried my brand new Jam Monster and it was delicious.
From the description of your juice, it sounds to me to be a coil killer...sweet juices will tend to gunk up a coil quickly (1 or 2 days) the black stuff on the wire isn't burnt, it's just gunky buildup
^ This. I've tried the Strawberry version of Jam Monster and it was EXTREMELY SWEET. So sweet that I could only vape it for about 5 minutes and had to switch to another flavor. And I really wanted to like this flavor.

So as Shadav said, sweet juices like that will gunk up coils quickly. High heat carmalizes the sugars in e-liquid forming a crusty layer on the coils, and using higher wattages with sweet flavors carmalizes the juice faster. My advice is to use lower wattages with sweet and fruit flavors.

If you go with a different tank, I would suggest trying the mentioned Innokin Zenith. Its a mouth to lung tank that uses much lower wattage settings than you've been using. You could also try the Geekvape Cerberus, which I've been trialing for Geekvape for the last couple of weeks. I'm still using the original coil with a sweet fruit flavor and no problems with a burnt or harsh taste. It's a sub-ohm direct to lung tank that uses drop in mesh coils. I using it at a 25 watt setting. When my original Crown coils become unavailable, I'll probably begin using the Geekevape Cerberus tank.

Zenith tank
Cerberus tank

Unless you really want to get into the hobby, don't feel that you HAVE to use a rebuildable tank (RTA or RDA). There are good tanks on the market that use factory made drop in coils. I use the Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank, but I've been reluctant to recommend it lately because its a 4 year old tank and the availability of their drop in coils are starting to become scarce. The later versions (Crown 2, 3, 4, and Valerian) of the Crown all use coils requiring higher wattage settings than I like to use. I tend to like to vape at 30 watts or lower.

Having said that, learning to rebuild for a RDA or RTA can lead to a more perfected vaping experience and be more economical in the long run too. Read my Information Resources for Your First RBA to see if this route might be for you.

Speaking for myself, I've done the rebuilding thing. I found most of the rebuildable tank atomizers to have a high learning curve as far as wicking correctly, and I grew lazy and tired of having to rewick my rebuildable drip atomizers every 3 - 4 days. So I went back to using drop in factory coil heads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread