Am I really getting 100% VG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vap3N

Sep 5, 2013
Florida, USA
I go to order my normal "100%" VG Watermelon Jolly Rancher ejuice from a particular company/website that I regularly give business to and something is different this time around. In the drop down section to choose my VG/PG ratio it says "Max VG", now before it read "100% VG". This raises a question in my head, so I call the company and they told me, one; it will be the same variant of juice, as far as taste and VG volume; and two, that you're never really getting 100% VG, so rather than "fib" any longer we just started putting "Max VG". I still ordered and it is still the same juice, taste, throat hit (or lack there of); thus, seeming as the same VG volume/content.

So my question is: Are we really ever getting 100% VG when we request and want it? And why not, if not?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
What is 100%? Seems like a stupid question, but it's not. If you were to buy just plain pharma grade PG, the standard is 99.5% pure. So 0.5% is something besides VG, but it is considered 100% VG.

Like retired noted most flavoring is in a PG carrier so if any flavoring is typical PG based, the actual VG content should account for that.

Things like water and PGA are used to thin viscus VG so if flows better/quicker. Since neither is part of the PG/VG ratio, would it be included in your PG/VG ratio?

If you want to get really picky, nicotine is neither PG nor VG, so how do you account for that in the PG/VG ratio? Can anything with nicotine in it be considered 100% anything?

What about the chemical compounds that make up the flavor?

The answer to the question is complicated. Can juice be 100% VG? Technically no. Nothing can be 100% of a single compound. You can get close, but you don't get 100% water and you don't get 100% VG. You can get 100% of something that is considered pure VG, but it still wouldn't be 100% VG since 100% VG is so difficult to create, and exposure to anything but a vacuum would result in something else being absorbed into the VG, it is for practical purposes impossible.

Flavoring can also be in a PGA carrier and the most rare of the flavorings (but not that uncommon) are in a VG carrier. Since we usually just say PG/VG content, what do we consider juice flavored with these flavorings?

Now, here is the real question: Does it really matter? Will your hardware stop working if you use a 10/90 juice instead of a 0/100? Will you even notice the difference in vapor production, taste, mouth feel, and performance if you use a 20/80 juice instead of a 0/100? I've been mixing and using exclusively my own juice for many years and I've never found that it is worth the time to calculate PG/VG ratios. Just doesn't really matter in the way the juice works for me. I have 3 levels of PG/VG ratios. Some VG. More VG. Mostly VG. That's as precise as I bother to calculate because it makes no difference to me.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The more relevant perspective on this question to people with PG allergy is: are you getting zero PG or not? Most often places that give you a "max VG" option aren't declaring their liquids are 100 VG and most likely some or all flavorings are using PG as a carrier. They will give you max VG in the nic and VG base, but how much PG is in the flavorings can vary a lot. If you want zero PG liquids you have to research sites and/or ask which flavors a place produces that contain no PG.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Keep in mind that the people that have PG sensitivity have reported that it improved by switching to max VG. Whether it was a placebo effect, or simply that minimizing the PG in their juice removed enough PG to make it not hurt them anymore....who knows.

But I do think that Hoosier covered it pretty well. Anyone telling you that you're getting 100% VG, while using a flavored liquid is lying to you.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
If you're going to add things like water, or nicotine then of course what Hoosier says is true. And of course if you're talking about an average liquid which claims to be 100% VG, then it may not be, because flavorings may be suspended in PG.

However, if you're asking if there are 100% VG liquids out there because you can't tolerate PG in any form like myself and several others, then Yes. There are.

HHV Purity for example is such a one where their extracts suspension is 100% VG and the actual tobacco itself.

Last edited:

Starlyte2

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2012
Carcassonne, France
I don't think it's all placebo effect with PG free juice.
I'd been DIYing my juice, VG only, except the flavour, which is pretty minimal in quantity, until mid-December, when the house burnt down, and all my mixing gear, as well as everthing else, with it.
So I bought some very good eliquid at my local vape shop. Delicious, but, as I found out quite high in PG.
I'd not thought about it, but since I use this juice I have my voice that just disappears from time to time. Now that I use another flavour, high VG, this has stopped.
But I'm longing for my mixing gear to arrive, I must admit, as I've never had this happen and I only use VG, or at most 10% PG.
As well, it is so much fun, and really rewarding, at least for me, when I vape my own home made juice.
The VG only list is really comprehensive, and extremely useful for those with PG allergy. A very valuable link ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread