Analogs almost $80 per carton

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
It's been a little over 6 years since I ended my lifelong analog habit and took up vaping. I just do not pay any attention to analogs anymore. So today there was a serious accident and I was stuck in traffic on a busy avenue that has a lot of stores and I saw a sign for Marlboros that said $78.81 --- are you kidding me! I do not even know if that included tax. The signs I used to see way back when did not include tax. I'd be paying in the ballpark of at least $120 a week for that filthy habit ---

When I stopped cartons were under $50.

Even more incentive to vape!

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
are there many places to buy them illegally? i guess people roll their own now. wonder how much they save?
I remember when the "roll your own" stores starting popping up. It did not last very long because big tobacco had a fit and used their power with legislators to put a stop to it. Next thing you know buried in a transportation bill -- buried -- was a provision that roll your own folks, who were mostly mom and pop independent types - had to cough up about $300,000 to acquire expensive types of licenses that had to with manufacturing. A bunch of BS that effectively put them out of business.

I'm happy for vaping for a lot of reasons but one is that it really eats into their profits...:) :) Karma!

Last edited:

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
are there many places to buy them illegally? i guess people roll their own now. wonder how much they save?

I live in Brooklyn, NY. A carton of American Spirits goes for over $130.00. Not surprisingly, there are people driving to other states, getting a bunch of cartons and selling to a private customer base. Generally, people buying this way are paying $60-65 per carton. Generally, only Marlboros are available. There are also smoke shops doing an under the counter business selling all brands at NJ prices - $85.00 per carton.

This kind of thing is inevitable in the current circumstances, especially since the cigarette taxes in NY and probably elsewhere are very regressive.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Well, in NYC they're now $13.00 a pack at the minimum allowed price. At a pack and a half per day I could be buying a fancy stabilized wood mod or even a VA every month and still come out ahead.
Yep. Over the past 4+years, I've bought a boatload of very nice mods (mostly from a couple of the artisans here on ECF), plus I've put a lifetime supply of nic into two mini dedicated freezers (cause my wife doesn't want my nic in her freezers), and I still haven't spent what it would have cost to keep smoking. $90-100 a week on cigs adds up to a lot of money over the space of a few years.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
When the price of a single pack of Marlboro in my local stores became too expensive and too outrageous in my opinion some years ago, I started looking into alternatives and I came up with plan B. After doing some internet research, I began ordering cartons of European Marlboros from a few places in Europe, I believe the place I ordered most from was a site located in Switzerland. If I recall correctly, I was getting a carton for around $20, so I'd order from there every once in a while, and that worked out real well.

I did that for more than a years time until I got a letter from customs one day letting me know that my most recent cartons that I'd ordered had been confiscated at JFK airport.

After that I had to come up with a plan C, and then I started looking into RYO. After reading a bunch on the internet, I was ready to go and I bought a nice machine that rolled the cigs for me and I would order 1 pound bags of tobacco and cartons of tubes. A 1 lb bag of tobacco was around $12-$15, depending on the type and brand I wanted. I think the tubes were around $3-4 for a carton of 200. I'd be able to make about 2 to 2.5 cartons of cigs from one of those bags, if I recall correctly.

I did that for a number of years and then one day, there was going to be all of these new taxes introduced on cigs, including RYO, very high taxes, I forget the exact percentage, but I was looking for ways around paying that of course, because I refuse to partake in idiocy and finance what I view to be a scam.

I got around that by buying 1 lb bags of tobacco which were labelled as Pipe Tobacco, because that was technically not classified as cigarettes and they were exempt from the scam tax. They were basically identical to the previous bags that I had been buying, only the name was different.

And that's what I used for a long time, up until I decided to try vaping one day.

I never started vaping because cigs were too expensive, because when I stopped smoking, it was costing me almost nothing. I was simply smoking too much, because it was dirt cheap and I could smoke as much and as many as I wanted to, and I did.

Until I got my first vape delivered to me that is. And I'm still proud to say that I have not had one single cig since the day when that first vape package arrived in my mailbox. That's almost four years ago.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I remember way back, as a teen smoker, telling myself that if cigarettes ever went over $1.50/pk I'd quit. Well, that came and went. Fast-forward to Feb 2011, just before finding vapor, and I was shelling-out over $3/pk, because they had me hooked. I've quit calculating cost savings, because quality of life has improved. $70/carton?? Hail vaping!

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Screenshot_2018-12-11_23-14-40.png

price for a single pack above

cartons are over $200

$1 aud = 0.72 usd

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Wow thats high!

Cigarette prices haven't gone up nearly that much here, L&M's according to the online local grocery ad (curiosity made le look!) Are 45.30 a carton (before tax) and Marlboro reds are 54.60 a carton...

L&M's have actually gone up far more than reds around here (I wonder why), that's about a 10.00 increase per carton over the last 4-1/2 years, which is a steep increase really, 1.00 a pack more.

I never figure in price hikes when I calculate how much my savings from not smoking is.. I guess I'll start! Hahaha ... 14.00 per week price increase is 728 dollars a year!

Ha.. that's about what I spend on Christmas every year - total - just in cigarette inflation!

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    When I quit smoking 4 years ago I was paying $6.00 a pack. Now when my ex-GF/close friend/roomate goes to the smoke shop, she pays close to $10.00 for two packs of bottom of the barrel light cigs. A 120 or so ml batch of DIY will last me at least close to 4 months and costs me somewhere in the $3-$5 range..

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I live in Brooklyn, NY. A carton of American Spirits goes for over $130.00. Not surprisingly, there are people driving to other states, getting a bunch of cartons and selling to a private customer base. Generally, people buying this way are paying $60-65 per carton. Generally, only Marlboros are available. There are also smoke shops doing an under the counter business selling all brands at NJ prices - $85.00 per carton.

This kind of thing is inevitable in the current circumstances, especially since the cigarette taxes in NY and probably elsewhere are very regressive.
    Yep. Look at a small panel van and do the math: How many cases (not cartons!) of cigarettes will fit it it. A carton still sells for around $50 in Virginia. Assume a $10 profit per carton for the ~500 mile round trip. Inevitable indeed.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    i guess people roll their own now. wonder how much they save?

I started doing the RYO smokes in late 2012 and smoked them until I transitioned to vaping. First thing I noticed was that within 3 weeks of switching to RYO from my regular smokes...my little morning smoker's cough was totally gone. So I stuck with them. Price then for my regular smokes was $56/carton. The RYO cost me $26 to make a carton + about another pack and a half. Don't know what the price for the RYO ones is now though.

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Well, in NYC they're now $13.00 a pack at the minimum allowed price. At a pack and a half per day I could be buying a fancy stabilized wood mod or even a VA every month and still come out ahead.
    Wow $13 a pack. I had left NY some years back and my grandmother was still there. She was a heavy 2 pack a day pall mall smoker. I used to send her cartons of cigs monthly and my friends (the non-smoking ones) thought that was just awful. She was in her 90s then and was not going to stop so why not ease the financial burden. Last I remember the single packs were up to 8.99 or so. She was one of the lucky ones -- lived alone and almost to 100 with no health issues. Finally, her heart gave and she was hospitalized. I visited her and the first thing she wanted was to go out and smoke. I knew she would and had her cigs on me, bundled her up and took her outside to smoke. Nurses were not overjoyed but we all knew it would be the last time. That would have been me 40-50 years from now if I did not start vaping!

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2014
    Florida
    I used to smoke 2 packs of Marlboro reds per day
    Todays Florida price is $7 per pack
    $7 x 2 packs per day = $14 Daily = $420 Monthly = $5,040 Yearly

I now make my own e-juice
    It cost me 9 cents per mil to make .. I vape 4 1/2 mils per day .. (of 15 mg Nic juice)
    9 cents x 4 1/2 mils per day = .41 cents Daily = $12 Monthly = $144 Yearly

go figure ...

NngAFIt.jpg

Even had some fancy-schmancy labels made for my home-brew juice :drool:

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    I remember one time as a truck driver being laid over for a weekend near Boston MA and i bought a carton of reds for 32 dollars and was shocked at how much that was compared to what i paid at home in KY. This was around 1997-98 i think. Now, even in KY, reds are around 6 dollars a pack.

redeuce

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    www.nofearmotorsports.com
    It's been a little over 6 years since I ended my lifelong analog habit and took up vaping. I just do not pay any attention to analogs anymore. So today there was a serious accident and I was stuck in traffic on a busy avenue that has a lot of stores and I saw a sign for Marlboros that said $78.81 --- are you kidding me! I do not even know if that included tax. The signs I used to see way back when did not include tax. I'd be paying in the ballpark of at least $120 a week for that filthy habit ---

When I stopped cartons were under $50.

Even more incentive to vape!
    In my area American Spirit, which was my brand, are $80.90 a carton with tax. Insane.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread