Status
Not open for further replies.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
batteries do not vent until the internal temperature exceeds a certain level.with extreme sub ohm tanks this may happen to rapidly for the case of the mod to heat to an uncomfortable level even tho the battery would be too hot to hold in your hand.they do not explode without warning they do get hot first

They can and do explode without warning and do not always get hot externally before they explode

Li-Ion Battery Chemistries - What are the differences in their safety? | E-Cigarette Forum

trollytrackz

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2012
Calgary
I just don't trust mechanical mods at all really. I mean if you drop your device, or are simply carrying it around during travel and a short occurs, how in the world can you tell? Or you get a hotspot somewhere and your resistance suddenly changes, there are zero warning signs with these things, even if you're not intending to go full sub-ohm.

With regulated devices being so cheap these days, I really don't understand the allure of mechanicals.

(Just my 2 cents - plz don't hate!) :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
With regulated devices being so cheap these days, I really don't understand the allure of mechanicals.
Simplicity. Reliability. Durability. Knowing it will work or that you can fix it with the simplest of tools if it doesn't.

If we didn't have the sword of the FDA hanging over us, I might feel these attributes were less important, but we do...

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
They can and do explode without warning and do not always get hot externally before they explode

Li-Ion Battery Chemistries - What are the differences in their safety? | E-Cigarette Forum
the link you posted does not support your claim. many early chargers use temperature rise to determine when a battery was fully charge. that link shows temperatures that you could not hold in your hand.anything over 60C would be painful. some mods may insulate users from the heat for a short time.hobbies have been flying electric powered airplanes and helicopters using Li-PO batteries (the most dangerous on your list) for a lot longer than sub ohmers have been around and operating them at discharge rate as high as 40 amps.but you don't see a lot of stories about these aircraft exploding.most of these hobbyist know their batteries better than most vapors.I have seen them vent and even catch fire in competition where they are pushed well beyond their rated limits.these batteries are sent with a warning and safe use instructions but they are intended for sale to consumers.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I just don't trust mechanical mods at all really. I mean if you drop your device, or are simply carrying it around during travel and a short occurs, how in the world can you tell? Or you get a hotspot somewhere and your resistance suddenly changes, there are zero warning signs with these things, even if you're not intending to go full sub-ohm.

(Just my 2 cents - plz don't hate!) :)
Well, when you are the safety mechanism, you get into certain habits. Like inspecting batteries when you insert and remove them. If you drop your mod you check it out, look at the contact points, open your atomizer to make sure the coil and screws are still good, etc.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
many early chargers use temperature rise to determine when a battery was fully charge.
Are you sure about that? Got a reference or cite or something?

I could see a charger using using temperature as an indication that the charge rate (current) is too high, but not that they are full.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
electric power tools use Li-ion batteries and there is a reason some of them have 3 connectors on the battery pack.the 3rd lead connects to the temperature sensor inside the pack.I flew my first electric powered airplane in 1979 using Ni-cads and a 20C discharge rate so I have a little experience with batteries.

Reactions: EBates

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
electric power tools use Li-ion batteries and there is a reason some of them have 3 connectors on the battery pack.the 3rd lead connects to the temperature sensor inside the pack.I flew my first electric powered airplane in 1979 using Ni-cads and a 20C discharge rate so I have a little experience with batteries.
Ni-Cds are charged completely differently than Li-Ions.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Ni-Cds are charged completely differently than Li-Ions.
they should be charged with a constant current/constant voltage charger that cuts off at a certain current level but some of the products coming out of china do not do this.this is an unregulated industry and their are some companies that show little regard for the safety of their customers.I use the same charger on my vaping batteries that I use on my model airplanes that allows me to monitor the condition of my batteries as they age so I know that its safe.my mechanical mod has a locking ring on the bottom switch that keeps it from firing in my pocket and I never vape at over 20 watts (5 amps). these accident in vaping are very rare and always caused by the user acting in a reckless manner.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
A 16 year old kid walks into B&M.
Kid:"Give this,this and,that."
Clerk:"Ok,anything else you need,perhaps a battery?"
Kid:"Yes a battery too."
Clerk:"Very well. You have some very advanced stuff here do you want me to go over some of the basics with you?"
Kid:"No need my bud´s have the same stuff and already showed me. I´m cool."
Clerk:"Ok,thank you that will be (insert large dollar amount here.)."
Kid:"You're welcome. See you later."
Kid leaves the store.
The End.

This is about the size of it........actually...........in many cases........

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I am wondering what happened to the protection circuit on the18650 batteries that everyone used to talk about and why would it not safeguard against mods

blowing up ??????

ICRs are the types that generally use these protection circuits you speak of.

Nowadays, it comes down to them being retired for the purposes of vaping...well, for various reasons. I do remember a time when people used protected and unprotected ICR cells in various devices, though.

:danger:

IMRs rely on the battery's chemical composition itself (instead of a protection circuit) to provide a layer of safety. ICR cells are at a higher risk of exploding due to their composition, and if the circuit in an ICR (a protected ICR - not all ICR batteries have this protection circuit) fails, it's much more violent than when an IMR cell undergoes a catastrophic failure.

Interestingly enough, many fixed-battery devices that do not rely on single internal 18650s utilize Lithium-polymer batteries... or at least, they did. I am unsure if this is still the case.

As far as Hybrid/IMRs with protection circuits? I don't even know if they exist, honestly... would there even be an added layer of safety if the device itself compromised the battery?

EDIT: Here's link to a relevant blog post by Baditude on batteries

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I am wondering what happened to the protection circuit on the18650 batteries that everyone used to talk about and why would it not safeguard against mods

blowing up ??????
Aside from the less safe chemistry of ICR batteries, I think much like the fuses that are available, the pcb's that are on those protected batteries don't allow enough amps through before shutting down for many vapers.

Reactions: thetrucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread