and now... The Puck... Cheap Parts and Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymgie

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
Utica NY
I prefer the SLB 901s. I bought a bunch of 901s from China and each one went out within a week or earlier of using them. Total crap. I used to buy them from StrictlyEJuice but they don't seem to have anything anymore. Not sure what's up with them so.... I've been buying mine from madvapes. They are running about 7 bucks for one but they are SLB and have worked well so far.

Ive been getting my 901s at vaporkings.com They work good and you can get them in bulk ...
DSE901 Mini electronic cigarette 10-pack of black atomizers

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Built a touch switch Puck today. Only things not local were the 510 connector and the IRL3103 mosfet (digikey). Used Alan Snider's touch switch circuit and a couple of rounded head nails as the touch points. When I do another, I think I'll use flat headed nails.

touch switch Puck.jpg

Last edited:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
I got off my .... and made the touch switch Puck because my 1st Puck was retired (don't ask why :D) and I only had my 2nd Puck working. I was handling my only working Puck like a Faberge egg until I made the touch switch one. Didn't want to be without a Puck even for the hour (or, for me, two or three ;)) to make/fix one.
Well, picked up my push button Puck this morning and went to the bathroom to take care o' bidness and proceeded to DROP MY PUCK on the hard ceramic tile floor. Puck-parts and batts flew everywhere, not to mention the sound like dropping a Faberge egg! I scrambled around picking up pieces and batts; put it all together; checked on the XL clearo 3/4 full of peppermint juice. Nothing broken, NOTHING, not even the clearo. Pushed the button.........VAPOR!!!!!!!

And, to top it off, pulled out my VV Puck that I had, ahem, not quite...finished, yeah that's it, it just wasn't finished :D. And am now vaping on a VV Puck with 5 batts and set to 4.5V (loaded, 5.2V unloaded). [Nope no pics, let's just say it's with MadVapes VV board kit and leave it at that ;)]

I started vaping with a 21st Century Smoking kit I picked up where I bought my analogs in Feb of this year. Vaped with that for a few weeks while still smoking; got a SmokTech 510 kit and used that a few weeks. Was debating on buying some type of mod or an ego when I found ThePuck's thread. The rest as they say is history; have been using a Puck exclusively since I made the first one at the beginning of Apr. Some day I may get a commercial mod (maybe ask Santy Claus for one ;)) but I KNOW I will always have at least one Puck within arm's reach, if not in my hand!

Last edited:

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
I got off my .... and made the touch switch Puck because my 1st Puck was retired (don't ask why :D) and I only had my 2nd Puck working. I was handling my only working Puck like a Faberge egg until I made the touch switch one. Didn't want to be without a Puck even for the hour (or, for me, two or three ;)) to make/fix one.
Well, picked up my push button Puck this morning and went to the bathroom to take care o' bidness and proceeded to DROP MY PUCK on the hard ceramic tile floor. Puck-parts and batts flew everywhere, not to mention the sound like dropping a Faberge egg! I scrambled around picking up pieces and batts; put it all together; checked on the XL clearo 3/4 full of peppermint juice. Nothing broken, NOTHING, not even the clearo. Pushed the button.........VAPOR!!!!!!!

And, to top it off, pulled out my VV Puck that I had, ahem, not quite...finished, yeah that's it, it just wasn't finished :D. And am now vaping on a VV Puck with 5 batts and set to 4.5V (loaded, 5.2V unloaded). [Nope no pics, let's just say it's with MadVapes VV board kit and leave it at that ;)]

I started vaping with a 21st Century Smoking kit I picked up where I bought my analogs in Feb of this year. Vaped with that for a few weeks while still smoking; got a SmokTech 510 kit and used that a few weeks. Was debating on buying some type of mod or an ego when I found ThePuck's thread. The rest as they say is history; have been using a Puck exclusively since I made the first one at the beginning of Apr. Some day I may get a commercial mod (maybe ask Santy Claus for one ;)) but I KNOW I will always have at least one Puck within arm's reach, if not in my hand!

I know the feeling. I always have one next to me also.

I am happy you have done the VV Puck. I am going to do this myself on one of mine since I find that my very favorite voltage is around 4.2 to 4.4 volts. The other voltage ranges are great but I really enjoy it when it gets around that voltage range. Throwing a simple regulator circuit in there would allow that. As well as you, there will always be a basic Puck close to me if not in use. Call it security blanket if you must.

Keep up the good work and keep those cool ideas coming. :)

Lazrah

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2011
Juneau,AK
The puck was my very first mod! I made it last friday night when my Kr808 battery died. I was soo screwed for the long 4th of July weekend.. This was so simple and easy to follow. Was the very first project like this of any kind. I don't have any good rechargable batts so I had to use regular AAA's, they worked just fine for me just have no life of course. So, I made a passthrough aswell. I take the puck with me while out and about but the PT is my home vape, atleast until I can get some recharge batts.

THanks so much Puck! you saved me from analogs for the holiday :) Only vaping for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks now but already got my first two simple mods done.

will post some pics when I find my camera.... which might be never xD

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
The puck was my very first mod! I made it last friday night when my Kr808 battery died. I was soo screwed for the long 4th of July weekend.. This was so simple and easy to follow. Was the very first project like this of any kind. I don't have any good rechargable batts so I had to use regular AAA's, they worked just fine for me just have no life of course. So, I made a passthrough aswell. I take the puck with me while out and about but the PT is my home vape, atleast until I can get some recharge batts.

THanks so much Puck! you saved me from analogs for the holiday :) Only vaping for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks now but already got my first two simple mods done.

will post some pics when I find my camera.... which might be never xD

Whoa, thats great! Congratulations. There's nothing like building your own :) Find that camera and let us see them :)

ymgie

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
Utica NY
OK ... Made my puck , was kickin' it with the batteries and I decided to make a small mod to kick it up a notch :vapor: so I crimped a USB line under the - & + pulled out an old atty I resurrected and de-bridged and BAM !!!!! A 5 volt passthrough that ROCKS !!!
(My wife thinks Im sucking on a fat cell phone:facepalm:)
Thanks again for an awesome mod. I'm really loving my puck....

Attachments

• P07-06-11_14-16.jpg
    P07-06-11_14-16.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 89
  • P07-06-11_14-17.jpg
    P07-06-11_14-17.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 88
  • P07-06-11_14-17[1].jpg
    P07-06-11_14-17[1].jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 79

Lazrah

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2011
Juneau,AK
Ok so it has been a couple weeks since I made my puck.... I still haven't found my camera yet :facepalm: So I had to use my M-I-L's. For my very first mod I am happy with it! I didn't have any rechargable AAAs tho, it ate through a bunch batts... that is ok tho cuz I was without a PV. Again thanks to you Puck!

Here are a few pics of my puck. Not the Prettiest of all mods, but a decent start I think. The debris inside the mod is from last weekend. We went camping at the beach and I got sand and dirt in it :p Still vaped like a champ all weekend! :vapor:

DianaCam024.jpg

DianaCam025.jpg

DianaCam026.jpg

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
OK ... Made my puck , was kickin' it with the batteries and I decided to make a small mod to kick it up a notch :vapor: so I crimped a USB line under the - & + pulled out an old atty I resurrected and de-bridged and BAM !!!!! A 5 volt passthrough that ROCKS !!!
(My wife thinks Im sucking on a fat cell phone:facepalm:)
Thanks again for an awesome mod. I'm really loving my puck....

Dang, another Puck idea!! I'm gonna look into converting a Puck into batts/usb power. I think a mini usb might fit under the batt holder (wire routing section). If not just stick a couple of small clips on the end of the usb cable and attach to the +/-, with a small hole in the box to close over the cable.

Now if I can just get this procrastinitus under control :lol:

ThePuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Hillsboro, Ohio USA
puckecig.com
Scratch it already!! Modding is alot of fun :) You won't regret it alekos557!

The only bad side effect is you start looking at everything around you and thinking... hmmmm... would that make a good mod? I'm talking lamps to your kids toys to your tv remote control. It's addicting. Everything becomes a candidate for a mod :)

interestingfellow

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Virginia US
I did a 1/2 puck.... or 3/4 puck.... I dunno.

My riva's are dying and I needed something as a backup for a trip I was going on.
I ended up with a 3amp button,4aa holder from the RadioCrack, a random LED from my salvage bin, and some NiCads I cut out of a new (but old) 9.6v pack; crammed it all in the 1 holder. all the junk went in the last cell spot, with three NiCads. Oh, it all got a LOT of hot glue (I had to do it in a hurry, and be able use it the next day)

Result with a 2ohm Boge: not bad. very cool vape, and not as much as a 3.7lipo, but good enough to stop me from killing someone in proximity to me! Next time, I would use 4cells. I'll get a pic up later, if I can.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The only bad side effect is you start looking at everything around you and thinking... hmmmm... would that make a good mod? I'm talking lamps to your kids toys to your tv remote control. It's addicting. Everything becomes a candidate for a mod :)

How about a 4 AAA flashlight, I know it's a tube not a box but still using NiMH :)
Just replaced the switch and a connector in place of the bulb....

Attachments

• IMGP0389.jpg
    IMGP0389.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 120

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
I did a 1/2 puck.... or 3/4 puck.... I dunno.

My riva's are dying and I needed something as a backup for a trip I was going on.
I ended up with a 3amp button,4aa holder from the RadioCrack, a random LED from my salvage bin, and some NiCads I cut out of a new (but old) 9.6v pack; crammed it all in the 1 holder. all the junk went in the last cell spot, with three NiCads. Oh, it all got a LOT of hot glue (I had to do it in a hurry, and be able use it the next day)

Result with a 2ohm Boge: not bad. very cool vape, and not as much as a 3.7lipo, but good enough to stop me from killing someone in proximity to me! Next time, I would use 4cells. I'll get a pic up later, if I can.

If you have a higher ohm carto, interestingfellow, try that. A 2.5 ohm may work better with the 3 nicads. 2.5 ohm cartos don't give as good a vape on 4 nimhs as a 3.2 ohm carto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread