Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

No need for popcorn. My point is lost among those who don't seem to want to understand it, and I have no way of making myself more clear.

I'm just waiting for the day they all start announcing they are vaping preservatives since PG has preservative properties too. Or humectents, since PG acts as a humectent.

I mean, why stop at announcing they are vaping antifreeze for God sakes?

As I said earlier.. the rest of us will just deal with the fall out from such pronouncements.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
No need for popcorn. My point is lost among those who don't seem to want to understand it, and I have no way of making myself more clear.

I'm just waiting for the day they all start announcing they are vaping preservatives since PG has preservative properties too. Or humectents, since PG acts as a humectent.

As I said earlier.. the rest of us will just deal with the fall out from such pronouncements.
Just teasing. You know I love you and get what you mean.:)

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

One could argue (many have) the best thing about vaping compared to cigarettes is transparency. There are two ways to handle an argument/debate, offensively or defensively. It's much easier to be offensive because many know PG is in antifreeze.

The thing is, they think it's the only thing in it and have no clue as to how many things they ingest each day containing it.

Being defensive about it will lead one round and round in circles and ultimately make it appear one is hiding what PG is.

By allowing people to shine their "knowledge" and then using a bigger light to shine their ignorance, is the only way to show the truth.

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
I know... I love you too.

Now excuse me while i go off to vape some conditioner... hahaha.
What is the most common use of PG? I'd say its used more in vaping and secondly as a food additive. It has many roles and that is really what people should say. FDA has already approved PG so it doesn't matter what faceboobs says

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
The truth is it is an ingredient in antifreeze - it's not hiding it. But it is not antifreeze, because there are further ingredients in antifreeze then simply PG. it is an ingredient that is resistant to freezing AND resistant to boiling. It also has many other properties as well and is found in many other things and has multiple applications.

When you say antifreeze - people think of the green or blue liquid you put into the radiator of your car.. THAT is not what PG is.

VG is a main ingredient in conditioner - yet when people ask us what VG is we don't tell them it's conditioner.

It's one thing to acknowledge what something is in a manner others can understand, and another to mislead others into thinking the WRONG thing.

And the wrong thing to say to a non vaper is that PG is antifreeze as an exact correlation, rather than saying its an ingredient in antifreeze because it has properties that are resistant to either freezing or boiling, but that it is also an ingredient in foods and medicines too, that is generally recognized as safe in medical applications.

Reactions: Letitia

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
The truth is it is an ingredient in antifreeze - it's not hiding it. But it is not antifreeze, because there are further ingredients in antifreeze then simply PG. it is an ingredient that is resistant to freezing AND resistant to boiling. It also has many other properties as well and is found in many other things and has multiple applications.

When you say antifreeze - people think of the green or blue liquid you put into the radiator of your car.. THAT is not what PG is.

VG is a main ingredient in conditioner - yet when people ask us what VG is we don't tell them it's conditioner.

It's one thing to acknowledge what something is in a manner others can understand, and another to mislead others into thinking the WRONG thing.

And the wrong thing to say to a non vaper is that PG is antifreeze as an exact correlation, rather than saying its an ingredient in antifreeze because it has properties that are resistant to either freezing or boiling, but that it is also an ingredient in foods and medicines too, that is generally recognized as safe in medical applications.

The best thing to tell them, it is used as a non-toxic antifreeze

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
It is an ingredient in automotive antifreeze but is used as a non-toxic antifreeze (mixed with water) in other applications.

Why is that? It's because it has properties that are resistant to both freezing and boiling.

Why not explain the why, instead of making exact coorelations.

Do you tell people VG is conditioner?

I mean seriously. .. there are better ways to explain PG and VG than to simply declare they are the sum of one property or that they are the equivalent of what they are used in!

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Why is that? It's because it has properties that are resistant to both freezing and boiling.

Why not explain the why, instead of making exact coorelations.

Do you tell people VG is conditioner?

I mean seriously. .. there are better ways to explain PG and VG than to simply declare they are the sum of one property or that they are the equivalent of what they are used in!

I tell people it's PG, used in just about everything from meds to manufacturing. If they ask what kind of things I tell them some medications, food flavorings and as an ingredient in antifreeze, which was done to make it not kill animals anymore.

I tell them it's VG and used in meds, cosmetics, foods and such. I then tell them some foods or types, as well as medicines, and etc.

I then tell people both are easily available to purchase from box stores, pharmacies to farm supply stores. Then they should research uses and read up for themselves and make up their own opinion.

No one is ever going to convince anyone that has made up their own minds and that's just human nature. People would rather argue and fight for an idea (knowing it might be wrong) than to stand up and admit the truth.

Explaining to someone not sure is one thing but arguing with a person in denial is just useless. That's why I don't try to convince anyone, I state what I know and tell them to research for themselves and decide.

I get your point though, lol.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio

the popcorn isn't from watching the discussion. it's from all of those darn electronic cigarillos that those darn millennials are using. Back in my day we chewed on tetraethyllead and drank antifreeze for our jollies.

Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I tell people it's PG, used in just about everything from meds to manufacturing. If they ask what kind of things I tell them some medications, food flavorings and as an ingredient in antifreeze, which was done to make it not kill animals anymore.

I tell them it's VG and used in meds, cosmetics, foods and such. I then tell them some foods or types, as well as medicines, and etc.

I then tell people both are easily available to purchase from box stores, pharmacies to farm supply stores. Then they should research uses and read up for themselves and make up their own opinion.

No one is ever going to convince anyone that has made up their own minds and that's just human nature. People would rather argue and fight for an idea (knowing it might be wrong) than to stand up and admit the truth.

Explaining to someone not sure is one thing but arguing with a person in denial is just useless. That's why I don't try to convince anyone, I state what I know and tell them to research for themselves and decide.

I get your point though, lol.

My point is just in how it's worded to people . Here we are in a thread talking about being in a debate with anti-vapers.

And someone pops up with PG is an antifreeze and there are a lot of antifreezes of which PG is just one.

It's not incorrect, but it's also not the only thing it does nor the only things it's good for or used in.. and its certainly a misleading way to describe PG to someone who doesn't vape, even if the statement itself wasn't incorrect.

We can explain better, and should at least attempt to better explain.

If vaping advocates say things in a manner that can mislead - well then who needs the antivapers?

When I first started vaping my husband told me I could breathe better because I was coating my lungs with petroleum products and oils..while not incorrect, its far from the best way to describe it either..

I just believe explaining something to people should be done correctly so as not to unwittingly mislead the ignorant.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
My point is just in how it's worded to people . Here we are in a thread talking about being in a debate with anti-vapers.

And someone pops up with PG is an antifreeze and there are a lot of antifreezes of which PG is just one.

It's not incorrect, but it's also not the only thing it does nor the only things it's good for or used in.. and its certainly a misleading way to describe PG to someone who doesn't vape, even if the statement itself wasn't incorrect.

We can explain better, and should at least attempt to better explain.

If vaping advocates say things in a manner that can mislead - well then who needs the antivapers?

When I first started vaping my husband told me I could breathe better because I was coating my lungs with petroleum products and oils..while not incorrect, its far from the best way to describe it either..

I just believe explaining something to people should be done correctly so as not to unwittingly mislead the ignorant.

That's why I said I get your point, it should be explained correctly. It's like telling kids what Jello really is, they'd never touch it, lol.

Truth is many people on both sides have no idea what glycol is nor that there are different types.

It's like the arguments/questions that have popped up time to time about VG. People worried if it's 100% plant based or if it has a mix of plant and animal base. Many still don't believe there is not a difference. They don't understand that once matter is broken down to glycerin it's a base, it cannot be identified as animal or plant.

Just not many people with a full understanding (or basic, depending on your view point) of chemistry. It still comes down to the fact that some are going to believe or think what they want to, no matter how much proof/evidence is shown to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread