Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Alright, I got a juul, and it's alright. Not perfect, but it's alright, and in many ways they've made a unique and worthwhile contribution to the ongoing evolution of vaping.

A Very Nice review jdrancor. Thank you for Posting it.

And BTW, it is Cool to see someone with a 2008 Join Date.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How large is this thing?
95 x 15 x 7mm

Anyone able to post a photo next to an ego?
How about next to a Reo?

hyjGfbd.jpg
4aQFV2Q.jpg

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Two potential problems are a bit of leakiness, and temporary outages that I think might be a problem with the automatic switch, maybe caused by my refilling pods.
I think I've figured this out. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the auto switch, at all. The mouthpieces on the pods have been slightly losing their shape when pulling them off to refill, and after a bunch of refills, the problem gets worse. The pod no longer sits in place properly, and the leads don't make a good connection. All the problems I had with what I thought was not enough of the juice reaching the wick, and also the power outages, all seem caused by this.

Now, to fix a pod, I blow in the other end, while pushing the pod in, and bending it in different directions until it I can hear it firing uninterrpted, and still firing when letting go of the pod. Then, back to vaping.

This fix is working incredibly well, and I haven't had to keep repeating it, including with a pod that had almost completely stopped working today. I've started being more careful how I remove the mouthpiece when refilling, so as not to distort it's shape. The first time removing the mouthpiece on a pod it's harder to remove than with subsequent refillings, but it also begins the process of the mouthpiece changes, and therefore, the pod not sitting in place as well.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I wore out a pod after many refills, to the point where my fix wasn't enough, and I couldn't get it to work enough for a full drag. I bent the mouth piece to make a tighter fit, and got it working ok for a few days. Then it got bad again, so I bent the leads on the bottom to reach farther. It stopped working entirlely until I evened out the reach of the two leads so they'd make equal contact, and the pod now has been working pretty well for the past two days, although after all it's been through, the draw is a bit airier than a fresh pod.

It looks like I'm going to get a lot of life out of the pods, and it won't be very expensive for me to keep using this thing.

Reactions: zoiDman

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
My Juul was charging and the green light came on, and I got distracted and forgot to remove it. An hour or two later there was a burning electrical smell in the air, coming from it. It seems the charger overheated, because that's what had the smell, but not the Juul device itself. Still, I'm not gonna chance using it, and especially not the charger. I'll call them and see what they say.

Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
My Juul was charging and the green light came on, and I got distracted and forgot to remove it. An hour or two later there was a burning electrical smell in the air, coming from it. It seems the charger overheated, because that's what had the smell, but not the Juul device itself. Still, I'm not gonna chance using it, and especially not the charger. I'll call them and see what they say.
how's your computer? If that was where you were charging it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Man... I hate hearing about Charger Problems like this.

But I am Glad that it happened with someone who is Wise enough Not to Start a Battery Charging, and then Leave to go run Errands. Or to Charge when they go to Sleep at Night.

Reactions: Katya

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

But I am Glad that it happened with someone who is Wise enough Not to Start a Battery Charging, and then Leave to go run Errands. Or to Charge when they go to Sleep at Night.
Yeah, that's why I asked about the computer too, since if I recall correctly, the charger is somewhat intended to be used with a computer usb port. Things intended to be mass produced and used by everyone who enters a gas station really need to be as foolproof as possible. Wasn't that the biggest hazard with cigalikes and egos too? The charging?

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

Yeah, I don't do those things, but I learned a lesson about seeing the green light on a charger and saying to myself "I'll get that in a minute..."

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
After using a Juul almost exclusively over the weekend, I have to say I'm really impressed. I usually go through about half a can of Snus a day, and 10-15ml of 6mg juice, but when using the Juul I didn't need the snus and would find myself more than satisfied after 6-7 puffs, and wouldn't feel the desire to vape anymore for about an hour, where as usually I'm constantly puffing away all day. First thing in the morning using the Juul was amazing, there's definitely something to these "nic salts" as this feels like I remember the first smoke of the day.

Using nothing but the juul I was going through about 2 pods a day (less actually, but am rounding up) so the cost becomes a bit irritating, although vaping a lot of "premium" priced juices isn't cheap either, and those are the only juices I like so the price seems to even out.

Juul has 25% off your first purchase on their site, which I took advantage of and bought a second Juul as a backup and a bunch of pods since I really see myself using this device frequently and for a long time. The box says there is a one-year warranty which makes me feel a bit better about spending so much on what was traditionally a throwaway form factor (cigalikes) but overall I think the Juul is an amazing product.

I just wish these were available in more stores, the closest place to me is a pipe shop that never has it in stock, and the second closest place is a chevron 30 mins away. If they were sold more widely I'd think it would make it an even more attractive product as you wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice while out of town or something, as you'd be able to pick up pods wherever you were. I guess they are still fairly new so hopefully they'll spread out as time goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread