Introducing the Juul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
If I Google "curing tobacco ammonia" it starts to look like ammonia is already in tobacco.
Which would be weird, because I had heard that ammonia was added as part of the curing process.
:shrug:

Beyond normal levels that occur in daily life, ammonia was added in the 60s as a freebase and increased through the 70s. The notes from the sources cited several reasons. Some include: Reducing smoke harshness, better/stronger nicotine impact, supposedly cleaner taste. It was noted that controlled levels led to better delivery.

Technically the answer to whether ammonia is in tobacco or added is both. The natural that is lost during fermentation and then a controlled condition where ammonia (Not the same type as the plant's natural ammonia that was lost.) is re-added to the tobacco.

The process of fermentation is to rid the tobacco of natural ammonia.
Maybe try this query instead: "fermenting tobacco" "ammonia"

Your Google results won't be the same as mine as they tailor results now toward the user.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The question that has to be asked is what is the goal. Is it decreasing, and eventually eliminating dependency, or is it to eliminate the risk associated with smoking. If it is the former then this would not be a good idea, if the later then this could be a real game changer, at least for those people for whom ecigs are not really working.

For myself, I simply support THR, and if this works for a fair amount of people then it is definitely a very good thing. This could easily become a bridge to vaping for some, or a long term replacement for smoking. The more choices on the market the better.

+10

This device is obviously useless and probably not targeted to those lucky ones who have managed to quit smoking with e-cigs with no ill effects. But there are many others who are not so lucky, those who suffer from mental desert, mental fog, anxiety, etc. Those smokers often give up and return to smoking full time, become dual users, or supplement their vaping with WTAs, Swedish snus, dissolvable tobacco (Ariva and Stonewall), or CigRX (anatabine & mate). I know because I'm one of those unlucky ones. :facepalm:

I don't know if Juul is the answer; I will certainly try it. I would like to know what exactly is in that e-liquid, but if it has the potential to help someone, either as a permanent THR product or as a bridge device, it would be good thing.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I take issue at two points though, one, a cigalike is not cutting edge technology, no matter what you put in it,

I'm not so sure about this. If it delivers the goods, however you define "goods," I don't care about the delivery method. I've tried high wattage vaping and second and third generation PVs and it didn't help me at all. Just made me dizzy. I vape like I used to smoke. I can't do lung hits, clouds, and increased nicotine levels just make me woozy. And I don't want all that extra vapor (with possibly harmful substances) in my lungs anyway. My cigs didn't produce massive clouds and they didn't taste good. They just made me happy... :blush:

and two, you need to be transparent about what exactly is in your liquid.

Yes!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I'm not so sure about this. If it delivers the goods, however you define "goods," I don't care about the delivery method. I've tried high wattage vaping and second and third generation PVs and it didn't help me at all. Just made me dizzy. I vape like I used to smoke. I can't do lung hits, clouds, and increased nicotine levels just make me woozy. And I don't want all that extra vapor (with possibly harmful substances) in my lungs anyway. My cigs didn't produce massive clouds and they didn't taste good. They just made me happy... :blush:

Of course there's always the caveat that it may work for some, I just think that the majority of vapers want more than what a cigalike can provide. Either in vapor quality/production, or battery time. That and the closed proprietary system, and mystery additive make this a no go for me, personally.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Of course there's always the caveat that it may work for some, I just think that the majority of vapers want more than what a cigalike can provide. Either in vapor quality/production, or battery time. That and the closed proprietary system, and mystery additive make this a no go for me, personally.

I understand.

Reactions: Lessifer

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

I still use an eroll sometimes. I think it helped me quit smoking more than anything else on the market would have. A year later I went on to egos.

Higher heat does make for better quality vapor for me, but not better quality vaping. I don't need anything more advanced than an ego-c.

Reactions: Katya

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I still use an eroll sometimes. I think it helped me quit smoking more than anything else on the market would have. A year later I went on to egos.

Higher heat does make for better quality vapor for me, but not better quality vaping. I don't need anything more advanced than an ego-c.

It's the old mental trick that if a little is good, more must be better. It is seldom true. Cloud chasers are an extreme example of a good thing gone bad. Admittedly that is an extreme example, but it's the same mentality that bigger must be better.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
It's the old mental trick that if a little is good, more must be better. It is seldom true. Cloud chasers are an extreme example of a good thing gone bad. Admittedly that is an extreme example, but it's the same mentality that bigger must be better.

I have no problem with people wanting to cloud chase. The potental for risk might be there, but it could turn out to be no danger at all. My preferences in vaping are my own. I have no need for others' to conform to mine.

Brettanomyces

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Pacific Northwest

I think it's more that there are some ways that vaping is more satisfying than smoking(which makes it easier to quit), flavor is one(my favorite) and more visible "smoke" is another(satisfies the whole man harnesses fire urge). Since the visible smoke is part of what attracts people to smoking in the first place I think the bigger is better mentality is to be expected from many, I don't personally understand the competition aspect of that but that's just human nature too. I'm mostly a low wattage vaper that's more interested in flavor than clouds but there's a good chance that the flavors are more harmful than bigger clouds.

After reading this thread the other comment I wanted to mention is that based on the research I've done on freebase nicotine it's in a separate category than nicotine salts. Nicotine salts are the combination of an acid and alkaloid which forms a salt, freebase and n-oxide are different states that alkaloids can be found in.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
but there's a good chance that the flavors are more harmful than bigger clouds.

The problem with this reasoning is that, unless you're vaping unflavored (PG/VG/nic), those clouds contain a whole bunch of flavorings, sweeteners, colorings and who knows what else.

I just apply common sense--the more vapor I inhale, the more potentially harmful substances are being delivered into my lungs. And since I don't need big clouds, I try to avoid them.

Reactions: Brettanomyces

Brettanomyces

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Pacific Northwest
The problem with this reasoning is that, unless you're vaping unflavored (PG/VG/nic), those clouds contain a whole bunch of flavorings, sweeteners, colorings and who knows what else.

I just apply common sense--the more vapor I inhale, the more potentially harmful substances are being delivered into my lungs. And since I don't need big clouds, I try to avoid them.

Absolutely, I was just speculating that the flavoring is probably more concerning than the volume of vapor. Of course the volume of flavoring vaped comes into play as well and I should have specified that.

The other concern with high wattage vaping is whether there's enough heat to cause the liquid to break down and produce nasty things but I think that most high wattage vapers have enough airflow and proper wicking to avoid that.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
I tried the Juul at the SFATA conference last week.

Nicotine-wise, it kicks like a mule. It's been so long since I smoked a cigarette that I honestly can't say whether it's the same experience - and probably it isn't quite (not WTAs, for instance). But the charts tell an interesting story - similar t-max (time to maximum nicotine levels in blood) to cigarettes, but much lower c-max (total peak plasma levels of nicotine). I felt pretty, er, zapped for about 15 minutes after taking only a few puffs - and I'm a big nicotine user (Snus, vaping, even lozenges (can't get snus in UK))

In terms of vapor production, very little; flavor, very little. Overall, it's not for me - BUT, had it been on the market, say, 4 years ago, it might well have been for me. I honestly can't say.

MrKai

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
Alameda County, CA
So...as someone who's been vaping since forever, another take:

It isn't bad. Really. Stay with me for a sec...I *know* folks in these parts HATE IT when someone like something that isn't a mod ;)

Let's talk about it as it is, first. For the size, the battery lasts and is tuned to put out nearly full power until it is nearly dead. It takes *very* little time to recharge. It is NOT made for blowing giant clouds (I know people are into that)...it is made for inhaling. It works.

The (current) carts are easy to refill with what you like, if you wish. They aren't (yet) glued shut.

For "out and about in social situations where smokers are not" (so, mostly everywhere where I live in the Bay Area) it gets the job done and lasted a full evening. It was designed here and it shows. The flavors aren't the worst I've had, but of course, we all know there is better. "Not tasting like old socks and taint" is a plus here.

The formulation is interesting...if you haven't smoked in a long time, these things are a reminder of why so many people find it so hard to switch to vaping. This formulation is...well...*satisfying* in the way I (think) i remember...but without the stink and ick. Unlike a lot of the mini and micros of yore, It actually took me the better part of a day to finish off the first cart because it was...satisfying. I didn't feel i needed to "suck it dry".

Perhaps someone will reverse engineer their formula and sell it by the bottle. They will do well. Of course, if the goal is to walk away from (that sweet, sweet, ever-wonderful) nicotine...this ain't the product. Not at all :)

-K

MrKai

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
Alameda County, CA
Thanks for your review, MrKAi! :)

Where did you get your kit? I see you're in the Bay area.

No one has them in shops yet or gas stations. Here in Berkeley there is a Pax authorized dealer that has one on order (it is more profitable for them to sell mods and crap clones, obvs...) so I ordered it direct. They ship out of Fremont, CA so it only took a day to get to me.

-K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread