• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anyone else out there having um..'visits'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
First, I swear to God, I'm NOT nuts. (Well, at least in the formal sense of the word!)

My father passed away in 2008, on my daughters 5th birthday. She was at the house the day it happened. My dad TRULY believed that she hung the moon, stars and everything else up there. Luckily for all of us, she felt the same way about him and they were thicker than thieves.

(On the day in question, my daughter Payton looked at all of us, asked what year she was born in. We said 2003 OK, nothing further. For about 2 or 3 hours Then she says, "Mommy, do you think God opened the door on July 24, 2003 so I could come INTO the world and opened it again on July 24th, 2008 so Grandpa could LEAVE?")

To say jaws hit the floor would be an understatement

Anyway, my parents had been married for 51 years that May. My mother is certainly NOT on the 'superstitious' side. Not prone to thinking ANYTHING along those lines. (As a matter of fact, I'm POSITIVE we grew up in a haunted house. She'll admit that yes, it WAS strange that the radio would come on by itself and GO THROUGH THE DIAL, (one of the ones that actually HAD a DIAL, no buttons there!), but that's as far as she goes, okay?

Well, one night she tells me that she HEARD footsteps upstairs. Not just one or two, she DISTINCTLY heard someone walk from one end of the house to the other. They have a big, 2 storey deck outside, with the upper part opening to her bedroom. She was CONVINCED that someone had broken in.

It took her nearly an HOUR to get her nerve up enough to climb the stairs. In other words, she was THAT convinced it was a break in. She never even THOUGHT of my dad. But, then her mind went that way and she told me that it was HIS tread-pattern. (Anyone whose been married/living with someone for longer than a few months KNOW the way your other half MOVES, don't we?)

Then, the weird one..she had a terrible cold. She'd been coughing up a STORM. Finally went to the medicine cabinet for some cough syrup and, as we've all experienced, it's been in there so long that the cap is practically GLUED on there. She ran it under hot water, banged it around, fought with it, got ANOTHER bottle out from elsewhere and ran into the same situation. She couldn't get the cap off either of them. Finally, annoyed as hell, she put the one bottle back in the cabinet and went to bed.

Next morning, she's making her coffee, looks down and there's the bottle sitting next to the brewer and THE CAP IS ON THE OPPOSITE COUNTER TOP.

No one else lives there.

She did NOT open it by accident, she spent the night hacking up a lung.

Even if she HAD, it would have been LOOSE, not ON THE OTHER COUNTER TOP.

I think that she believes he's still around.

She says that she still FEELS him there in the house. She says she doesn't HEAR him or anything like that, she just says the house doesn't feel EMPTY.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I know that was a bit of a 'rant' there and a LOONG read for everyone, but I'm curious.

Thanks for listening and please, NO calls to the nut farm, I work with most of them and they accept bribes. ;)

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I believe that some people stay around for a while and others just move on (thank goodness).
Too many things have happened in my life not to believe these things. I saw my Grandpa come in to my bedroom the night he died. I was a kid and had cousins staying in my room cause Grandpa was in the hospital. When he walked in he didn't say anything, he just stood there. Then he left. I ran into the kitchen and tried to tell my mom, Grandma and Uncle who were sitting around the table..they said "go Back to bed! Grandpa is still in the hospital". The phone rang and mom started crying. Grandpa had died a few minutes before.
I called my ex and told him I dreamed he was upset..his family was upset so I was worried. He said things were o.k. and asked me what I had seen and I told him. I hadn't seen my ex for a long time and had no way of knowing what was going on his his life. A week later he called me to say his sister passed away.
It goes on and on. The point is that there is much we don't know. I guess all will be reveled in time..but that is one long distance call back to tell the living!
My sister died 25 years ago, for years I felt her around. But a couple of years back I no longer felt her near me..I think she moved on. I hope she is at peace now. But I do miss that presence.
I won't call the butterfly nets in on you..I would have to dodge a few myself!

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Thanks Marykay!!

My mother is saying now that she doesn't feel him around as much either. She watched some movie one night and it was about the husband staying around because she still needed him and said at the time that she couldn't quite 'give him up yet'. Not that we ever DO of course, but we're starting to think he's moved on. He died on July 24th and after a few 'incidences', we noticed that he seemed to be 'showing up' on the 23rd of the month. I told my mom to ASK him to do something these days, but I don't think she ever did.

It was obviously, a very sudden death and I think that's why he stayed around. Not that he 'didn't know he's dead', he just wanted to make sure my mum was okay. He seems to be trying to 'help'.

ALTHOUGH, on the 1 year anniversary, (AND Payton's B-day), OBVIOUSLY, we went to my moms for the day. At the time, I was still smoking so when we arrived, I went out to the back deck for a cigarette. (No smoking in the car with her in it, of course). It was a sunny day, not a cloud in the sky and suddenly a BUCKET FULL of water just came down and landed on me.

WTF? My mother has one of those canvas 'canopy' things up on the top deck. When it rains, the water collects on it and she has to use a broom to push the water off it. So, even though it hadn't rained for a week or so, we all assumed that maybe that was it. But, my mothers scratching her head because she had hit it that morning. (She's overly paranoid about having water on it and having it mold or pull the seams, so she'll usually give it a 'tap' to even get rid of the dew).

So, up the 3 of us go and it's BONE dry.

I go BACK downstairs and start back on my smoke.

It happens AGAIN.

SOAKING MY CIGARETTES.

He never smoked, (no one in my family does. Fun. Wow.), maybe he was trying to tell ME something!

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
Yes - "visits".

In our last house I used to hear, very softly, music from the 1940s playing while I lay in bed falling asleep - every night.

When we moved in there was an old chandelier that was really, really ugly in the dining room - I had all the boxes placed there as I didn't have a dining room set at the time - and made a path - systematically taking the marked boxes to the correct rooms. Every time I would be under that chandelier - a bulb would pop out onto my back - nothing broke - I wasn't hurt -they weren't hurled - just fell from the fixture. DH didn't believe it was "other-worldly" even though his uncle used to play games on him and his mom after he had passed - so he tightened all the bulbs and then watched amazed as I bent over to retrieve a box and a bulb fell onto my back.

I have quite a few of these occurrences - DH passed nearly 4 years ago and on occasion makes his presence known. My son, who doesn't believe in anything like this, has had some things happen too that "he can't explain".

After DH passed away - only the family- me, my son and my daughter, could detect a scent at the top of the stairs - and only there. It wasn't an odor I liked and asked him to stop leaving that scent - it was explained to me that he left that scent because I knew it would be him - and that if I asked him to stop it would - and it did.

Even those occurrences that weren't DH - were never malevolent - just here.

I went to Cassadega in FL - MK - ever been there? I have a photo and stories from there that would make your hair stand straight up.

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
My first granddaughter had been staring at the stairs and talking "to a man" since she could first verbalize- she's 4.5 now and no longer does this here (she and her mother moved out 6 months ago- she spends at least half her time here) - but does tell her mother that she's talking to silly grandpop - now there's no way this child remembers him - he died when she was 10 months old - yet when presented with a number of photos on my computer she told me "that's silly grandpop" and she was picking out the picture from before he became ill (much heavier at that time and obviously had a healthy glow about him).

Children are supposed to be quite receptive and it's an ability that usually get shut down as it's taboo......

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
My first granddaughter had been staring at the stairs and talking "to a man" since she could first verbalize- she's 4.5 now and no longer does this here (she and her mother moved out 6 months ago- she spends at least half her time here) - but does tell her mother that she's talking to silly grandpop - now there's no way this child remembers him - he died when she was 10 months old - yet when presented with a number of photos on my computer she told me "that's silly grandpop" and she was picking out the picture from before he became ill (much heavier at that time and obviously had a healthy glow about him).

Children are supposed to be quite receptive and it's an ability that usually get shut down as it's taboo......

AGREED! Payton was babbling away to the corner of her room one day. I went in, picked her out of the crib and asked who she was talking to and she told me 'the lady in the box on the box'.

?????

Okaaay...so, I walked out of the room and she's pointing away to the corner. When we went around the corner, she kind of craned her neck, like she was loosing sight of 'the lady'.

I was getting rather creeped out until we went downstairs and she pointed to the PICTURE FRAME holding the picture of my Grandma that was sitting on top of the MICROWAVE. (Hence, the woman in the box ON the box..) She was only 18 months or so.

When Payton was born, both my mother and I had the SAME dream of my grandmother standing over the crib, smiling down at the baby and telling me she 'was so beautiful and I'm so proud'.

Same pose in the dreams, same words!!

When they WANT to come through, they CAN. At least, that's MY belief.

I'm sorry that your granddaughter didn't get to spend a lot of time with your DH, but I'm SURE he's watching!!

Last edited:

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
Oh I think he is- when she's not with us but with her mother (which is usually why I'm "wrecked and bonkers" - her mother could cause a person to....think about lots of things you would never admit to thinking :-x).

He promised to stay for the second granddaughter's birth (my daughter's daughter)- but he just couldn't do it - she doesn't act like she's ever talking to someone we can't see or staring at something we can't see. But as an infant was amused by the vhs player opening and closing it's door over and over again - it was off and empty.8-o

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Oh I think he is- when she's not with us but with her mother (which is usually why I'm "wrecked and bonkers" - her mother could cause a person to....think about lots of things you would never admit to thinking :-x).

He promised to stay for the second granddaughter's birth (my daughter's daughter)- but he just couldn't do it - she doesn't act like she's ever talking to someone we can't see or staring at something we can't see. But as an infant was amused by the vhs player opening and closing it's door over and over again - it was off and empty.8-o

I think it's GREAT that he's ABLE to do what he DOES! Seems like it takes a LOT of 'presence' to make things happen, if you know what I'm trying to say.

Dogs have it too. Remember the part in the beginning of Poltergeist where the dog was bringing all his toys up on the bed and dropping them? Well, our Piper, (who NEVER met my dad, we got her the year after he passed), suddenly started bringing all these toys to our 'art niche'. That's where I had the 'momento' ash urn. I went over there, she's wiggling away and bringing all her toys over.

THERE WAS NOTHING THERE.

I even got down to her level to see if there was something moving around that was attracting her attention. NOTHING.

We always had Dobermans as the 'family pet', and my dad would have loved her, I think he came for a quick 'boo' at the new member of the family. Obviously, she liked him too!

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
How sweet! Dakota did a lot staring at the stairs when we first moved in - not growling or hair raising, but quite intent (he's very friendly the baby moose) - like hey, who are you? wanna play?

We had a feeling that the people who used to live here came to check us out. Went on for a few months then stopped. Footsteps, doors opening and closing when the windows were shut etc. Of course some of the things that happen now and over the past few years we are presuming who it is - we could be wrong.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Aw, dogs are the world's sweetest things, aren't they? It made ME feel a bit better that HER back wasn't up either! She did give a few 'c'mon! Wanna play with me? Huh? Do ya? OH MY GOD..COME OVER HERE YOU BIG LUG AND THROW A BALL' yips, but that was it.

IF the dog gets weird and freaky, I'm BOLTING!!

There was a haunted ambulance in service in Toronto. I crap you not. I was in it at the beginning of shift one time, (you have to make sure the previous crew hadn't used up everything in the drug box, the O2 kit actually HAD oxygen IN it, etc.), and the doors SLAMMED shut and scared the hell out of me.

Dropped TWO vials of epi.

I was NOT a happy camper.

So, I SHOT out of there, no one's there. Kay, I can climb stairs too ya bums! Up I go. There's everyone, sitting around, OBVIOUSLY been that way for a while. They ask me what's wrong and I ask who the smart ... was. They asked if we had 9151 and I said we did.

YUP, that's the HAUNTED one!! Should have KNOWN it wasn't one of the guys..a bit tricky trying to slam BOTH doors at exactly the same time anyway. (One of them has that little 'ledge' on it so you can only close THAT one first..)

Great!

For the rest of the night, the suction unit comes on and off. The lights in the back come on and off. The radio keeps cutting in and out. Finally, we dump it at one of the hospitals. We said it was the transmission.

'Nuff said.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I used to go outside and look in the night sky and talk to my sister. I would ask yes or no question and then watch for shooting stars. A shooting star was yes. It made me feel connected to her and I never asked anything important (I am not a loon!).
One weekend daughter and the kids came up and she brought some friends. She had problems and needed advice. She had a time taking advice from me..she asked me for it! I told her to go ask her Aunt...her namesake. After checking to make sure were weren't in metor shower season..we asked and were answered. It was about then I stopped feeling my sister around. I think she did what she needed to do and moved on.
By the way my daughter did take my sisters advice (same as mine) and moved on herself. I t good thing. But to say my level headed daughter was freaked out is an understatement.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
I used to go outside and look in the night sky and talk to my sister. I would ask yes or no question and then watch for shooting stars. A shooting star was yes. It made me feel connected to her and I never asked anything important (I am not a loon!).
One weekend daughter and the kids came up and she brought some friends. She had problems and needed advice. She had a time taking advice from me..she asked me for it! I told her to go ask her Aunt...her namesake. After checking to make sure were weren't in metor shower season..we asked and were answered. It was about then I stopped feeling my sister around. I think she did what she needed to do and moved on.
By the way my daughter did take my sisters advice (same as mine) and moved on herself. I t good thing. But to say my level headed daughter was freaked out is an understatement.

That's wonderful that you and your daughter were lucky enough to have that kind of lasting bond with your sister. I'm sure that, like my Dad, she pops in every once in a while!

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
In our family the man cooks the holiday dinners :) (DH's side) - anyway, my son has taken over that task (he enjoys cooking) - 2 Thanksgivings ago - my son, daughter and I were around the table getting the last minute items ready as the Turkey was almost done. My daughter was making deviled eggs, my son was looking at a recipe for party potatoes, and I was organizing what ingredients he needed still for the side dishes.

All of of sudden my son quickly looked to his right [we were on his left] - my daughter and I looked at each other. Now she and I didn't hear BUT....she and I knew that someone had just yelled my son's name. She and I looked at each other and asked each other if the other heard it - but we knew what had happened and in looking at my son who believes in nothing - he confirmed he heard someone yell his name.8-o

My son has had a few things happen he can't explain. A number of times he's been in the basement in the shop area and things in the cabinets just start falling out. Sometimes I think DH is just trying to let the non-believing son know that he's still around.:)

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Wow! He's a pretty stubborn guy, your DH!! Good for him!! It could be that your son, being the 'non-believing type' is having more trouble because his Dad has passed. |If he really BELIEVES that death is the END, he must feel that he's really LOST his father. Maybe that's why DH is giving him more than just a 'nudge' trying desperately to prove to him that he IS still around and, more importantly, he's OKAY and he WILL see him again.

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
Wow! He's a pretty stubborn guy, your DH!! Good for him!! It could be that your son, being the 'non-believing type' is having more trouble because his Dad has passed. |If he really BELIEVES that death is the END, he must feel that he's really LOST his father. Maybe that's why DH is giving him more than just a 'nudge' trying desperately to prove to him that he IS still around and, more importantly, he's OKAY and he WILL see him again.

Ahh....you could be right! And stubborn doesn't even begin to cover it! ;)

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
Now, this COULD be showing my ignorance, but am I to assume that DH stands for Dear Husband?

Yes it does. I should refer to him as BH but no one would have a clue what that stood for - black hole:evil:

I used to tease him about it all the time- the information goes in but never comes back out.:D

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Yes it does. I should refer to him as BH but no one would have a clue what that stood for - black hole:evil:

I used to tease him about it all the time- the information goes in but never comes back out.:D

roflmao!!! Oh my, Beebop...you must have been married to a MALE!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread