Are all 1865 batteries created equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been vaping for a while now and Im ready to step it up a couple notches. I am very interested in the silver bullet but am currently awaiting all the hardware to go with it from another less expensive company. I'm hoping the 18650 battery I purchased elsewhere will be the same fit for it. Any help would be great

rse1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Aloha, OR USA (near portland)
Hi, welcome to ECF.
Not all 18650 batteries are the same (although all are nominally 18 mm round and 65 mm long):
some have a raised nipple on the positive/some are flat (creating different length batteries with same label)
some are protected (have icb in line to limit current flow in/out)/some are not protected (again different lengths with same label)
some are set up for high drain (IMR rated)/ some are not
there are even different chemistries (not my expertise but other posters talk about it) - Lithium Cobalt and Lithium Magnesium (I think that's what I read, and one is safer than the other)
Also the current draw ratings are different - some are rated at 1700 mah up to 3600 mah (at least that's the range I've seen).

I'd go with whatever other current users of the silver bullet (and the manufacturer) recommends. I don't have that model so you'll have to go with others recommendations as to what works best.

Last edited:

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
Courtesy of Lygter - a discharge curve.

You will get well below the 2400maH advertised and at 2A discharge and 3.7V nominal (7.4W) you looking at around 1950maH. The battery can do 5A at the expense of severely degraded capacity.

TrustFire TF18650 2400mAh (Flame)-Capacity.jpg

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
PM coming your way =)

EDIT* Nevermind... I just noticed you only have a few post so I cant PM you.

I know that Altsmoke doesn't recommend stacking batteries. Def. do so at your OWN risk if you were to ever go that route. I have an Omega and a Silver Bullet. I use the AW IMR 18650's on them and see a huge difference in consistency and they last a while if you get the 2000Mah ones. The 1600Mah's are good too but won't last as long off a charge. I've used Ultra and Trust fires on both devices but they don't seem to hold up as well. Everyone will have their own opinion though so mine is just that as well.

I get my batteries from rtdvapor.com

Good luck with your SB:)

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
For 18650s, you want either an IMR chemistry or a protected battery. If it isn't IMR and doesn't have protection, don't vape with it or you risk "bad things" (see ECF Battery education in the site help/info area).

No, you want protected whether it's IMR or not. IMR's are generally better than the Trustfire's but they still need to be protected.
Trustfire's/Ultrafire's are just fine. I've used them for over 10 years, 2 years for vaping. The capacity in mah is exaggerated, but they're usually 1/3 to 1/2 the price of AW IMRs. The fact that they deteriorate with a 5 amp draw is irrelevant. Nobody's PV draws 5 amps.

So, with a Trust/Ultrafire, you get a battery with a capacity overstated by 20% and needs recharging more often and lasts 20% fewer cycles than a battery that costs 200% more. If you're on a desert island, stick to the AW's. If you keep a charger handy, the Trustfires will do just fine. Either one should last all day of vaping with no significant voltage drop.

I've got a huge collection of Trust/Ultrafires. Many are at least 3-4 years old and some of those are holding up at least 80-90% as well as the 2 year old AW IMR's I have.

BTW, I vape with a Baby Bullet that takes 14500s. I'll be darned if I'm going to pay $14 for altsmokes' AW or $8 for their Trustfire when I can get Trustfires for $4 elsewhere. I love altsmokes PVs, but they're insane with their battery prices.

Last edited:

AZCraig

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Mesa, AZ
www.KidneyPuncher.com
No, you want protected whether it's IMR or not. IMR's are generally better than the Trustfire's but they still need to be protected.
Trustfire's/Ultrafire's are just fine. I've used them for over 10 years, 2 years for vaping. The capacity in mah is exaggerated, but they're usually 1/3 to 1/2 the price of AW IMRs. The fact that they deteriorate with a 5 amp draw is irrelevant. Nobody's PV draws 5 amps.

So, with a Trust/Ultrafire, you get a battery with a capacity overstated by 20% and needs recharging more often and lasts 20% fewer cycles than a battery that costs 200% more. If you're on a desert island, stick to the AW's. If you keep a charger handy, the Trustfires will do just fine. Either one should last all day of vaping with no significant voltage drop.

I've got a huge collection of Trust/Ultrafires. Many are at least 3-4 years old and some of those are holding up at least 80-90% as well as the 2 year old AW IMR's I have.

BTW, I vape with a Baby Bullet that takes 14500s. I'll be darned if I'm going to pay $14 for altsmokes' AW or $8 for their Trustfire when I can get Trustfires for $4 elsewhere. I love altsmokes PVs, but they're insane with their battery prices.

My understanding is that the chemistry of an IMR battery makes it safer than any Lithium Ion battery when it comes to catastrophic cell failure. People with more expertise than I have written extensively on this....

RomanHelmet

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
USA

I believe you may be misinformed regarding IMR's. They are not manufactured with protection chips. It doesn't exist. Due to the relatively safer composition of the batteries the protection is not as crucial. Of course due diligence should be used to ensure your charger is functioning correctly and not overcharging, and you should ensure that you are not undervolting the batteries by discharging too far. Although discharging an IMR too far will just result in a battery that is no longer usable as it will not accept a charge anymore.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been doing a lot of research on batteries lately and may have some facts mixed up.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
I'm surprised that no one mentioned AW 18650s. They use Panasonic cells, which are supposed to be the safest ones made. I've also read that AW tests and sorts all the cells they receive for QC and uses the best ones. The others are bulk sold to other vendors.

Check out this thread. AW Batteries?

I did on page 1 but didn't get into the tech-E part of them.:) Just that I use them and they are excellent BATTS. Great link btw

RomanHelmet

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
USA
I believe you may be misinformed regarding IMR's. They are not manufactured with protection chips. It doesn't exist. Due to the relatively safer composition of the batteries the protection is not as crucial. Of course due diligence should be used to ensure your charger is functioning correctly and not overcharging, and you should ensure that you are not undervolting the batteries by discharging too far. Although discharging an IMR too far will just result in a battery that is no longer usable as it will not accept a charge anymore.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been doing a lot of research on batteries lately and may have some facts mixed up.

As an addendum to my post, I would like to add that while IMR's are safe to use, being that they are technically unprotected it is important to ensure they are operating within safe voltage ranges. A good use for them is with mods with built in protection such as Provaris or Darwins (or the Kick by evolve), or to own a multimeter and understand how it is used and periodically check your battery's voltage, both during use and after taking off your charger. The latter part there is good advice for anyone using a mod though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread