Provari vs Zmax

Status
Not open for further replies.

predwing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
TriCites Tennessee
I have been lusting over a Provari and Darwin for awhile but the lack of availability for Darwin makes it next to imposable to own one and since Im from a small town in East Tn I would doubt that I can find a used one, so Provari it is. Well that was until I say a Zmax on Altsmoke. I have watched some reviews from Igotcha69 which he likes it and vapingmonkey who says its ok so now I am torn as to wish one to get. I like how the Zmax has VW and VV but from what I understand from some reviews of Zmax its not a real VW like the Darwin. Anybody have both and can offer some insight? I currently am using a Ego Twist for my on the go and a Silver bullet with a kick for home use.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
I'm passing on the Zmax. In theory it sounds great, but like many other VV devices they use Vavg instead of Vrms.
This results in the effective voltage (and power) being WAY off at lower and mid settings. For that fact alone I'd go with the Provari or even a Twist. With those if you set it to 4.2v you get 4.2 volts and not some other effective voltage that is way higher.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
VapingMonkey and his group mention how off it was in their testing. Only reason I have been thing about buying was is because IGotcha69 recommended it and said he has been passing on his Provari for it.
I figure what's the point in paying for a fancy display and readouts if they are way innacurate?

A low budget Twist or spinner will get you the same vape and more accurate settings to boot.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
I have an ego twist and works great just looking for something a little more now that I have been vaping for a few months now. Maybe one day we will be able to purchase dawins again. I would love to buy the on vapingmonkey has.
For me voltage accuracy is what I look for in a battery. It can have a fancy display or not. A display won't improve my vape one iota.

My focus in on the best delivery system (tank, CE, clearo etc.) and the most delisious juice I can find.
A PV with high definition display that sings out the voltage in dolby sourround sound won't make my juice taste any better.

That said a VW device that is accurate and adjusts output in real time would be worth my consideration. If the Zmax did this, I would buy it.

Last edited:

rum87mage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
United States
lol Provari vs Zmax. if you got that type of money to throw down on a pv the provari beats the zmax in alot of ways. most important of them is the warranty. if i rember right the provari has a 1 or 2 year warranty is built like a tank. and has a ton of working options on it the z max has alot of reviews with people coming back after the 30 day warranty saying it died. and its out put is wrong. the z max might be a good pv one day but right now its need work from every thing i have seen read watched. only thing i ever heard bad about the provari is that the menu is hard to use at first lol

rum87mage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
United States

carlf79

Sep 5, 2012
Long Beach
I'd recommend the Provari. All VV devices that I'm aware of use PWM but it's all in the calibration and filtering. Provari and Evolv do this pretty well. The chinese makers are still working out the kinks. Every review I've seen indicates that the ZMAX hits harder than advertised. Consistency and accuracy cost a little extra but I'm loving my choice thus far. A ZMAX 2 may come out at some point that addresses the issues it has but I just don't see the value right now.

predwing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
TriCites Tennessee
Well normally I would agree with this logic, it just seems that not to many people have been posting video reviews of the Zmax (in english) and IGotcha69 has a huge library of things he has tried. But untimely I will drop the money on a prover. And I assume as in my past Provari will come out with a new better one just as soon as I buy the this one.

digunderground

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2012
Vaparadise
Add another $25 if you want to use an 18650.

+$25 for an extended 2 year warranty. I love my ProVari but I could buy 2 zMaxs for the price.

I don't know where all this bad press is coming from regarding the zMax, mine works flawless and I have used it relentlessly from day 1. I find it funny how many comments are made that it meters out differently.. cause, you know, I always put a meter on to determine if my vape is good or not. hahah That .7 volt overage/ dip just makes it hit like poo.. haha .. look a good vape is a good vape, and id like to think has a lot more to do with your atty setup than anything.

Sure you cant set it to 4 volt and expect the exact same experience as a ProVari, it hits warmer, but isn't that to be expected? Different technology, different experience. That's like saying the Bliss is worse than the Zen because of the tight draw, or X juice is better than Y juice.. its all different, different experiences.. its not better or worse, its just different.

If your zMax dies, i should hope you dealt with a reputable re-seller that backs their product. My first vMax had a display issue and it was no problem, exchanged in days, no issue since.

There is a reason Bently cars are not compared with Hundai cars, its a different class entirely. Sure the Hundai doesnt have automatic window shades, or divider window between front and back seat, or a 500hp motor... but they both get you there, granted one has more class and prestige.

Just my 2c

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread