Are rebuildable atomizer (tanks) overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4gs

Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
NJ
:danger: Before I get completely raped by ECF rebuildable fans, I just am asking this question to bring up some things and see if everyone is on the rebuildable boat, or there are people kinda like me who think MAYBE they are overrated.

I recently just started messing with rebuildables, I have a AGA, DID clone (which is crap), and a Pheonix style drip rebuildable. Awaiting for them to come in i was SUPER excited as I was read to have this "superior vape" with better flavor, better vapor, and better nic delivery. To me as of right now only thing I enjoyed significantly more is the nic delivery.

1. Now I was ready for these rba tanks to change my vape life, I was ready for this amazing vape that I would make all my carto's/atties/vivi's a thing of the past, however idk if I am really enjoying it like I thought I would.

2. I feel flavor was changed, but its not like WOW NOW I TASTE WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE... sometimes the flavor wasnt even that great depending on flavor.

3. The vapor... well idk its good, but nothin special, I have gotten plenty of good vapor off basic vape hardware.

4. Finally, (now i understand they arent build for practicality) but i seriously cant see ever bringing this thing out of my house.. If i go out and something happens to a coil chances are im without a vape for the day. Leaving the fill screw out for better wicking makes leak and def not something i would put in my pocket. For now I def am keeping it as a couch vape.

NOW THIS ALL BEING SAID... Im not a complete hater, I just want to know if anyone else is with me and thinks they are slightly or even VERY overrated.

For those of you on the REBUILDABLE ALL THE WAY boat.... Explain to me why and what I should be doing to get the most out my high end vape hardware.

Go ez on me

Kamoch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
La Mirada, CA
Your question is valid, I think the main problem that people run into with RBA's is the wick & coil setup and the learning curve involved. It is a process full of frustration at every corner and if you do not have the patience for it you will eventually give up. I made plenty of setups that tasted horrible, popped many coils, and burned/torched/oxidized all sizes of mesh till I was able to get a good clean vape. But when it does happen, yeah, it is a good vape.

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
1. I can't use anything that I didn't rebuild myself. The only thing that is tolerable is a good 306 atty.. and even those are collecting dust now that I have RBAs for my Reo.

2. Flavor will vary depending on what you're using for wick, as well as the wattage you end up at when you've wrapped your coil and put it on your device of choice. So far I have the best flavor out of a $17 clone (Dream BT804) that's a bottomfed tank. Amazing stuff right there. I still can't believe the flavor that thing puts out. It's the only RBA I own 2 of right now.

3. My Killer 705 makes some amazing clouds. So does my BT804.
Here's a pic of my Killer in action:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...et-rig-show-us-your-vapor-11.html#post8699581

4. I usually bring 2-3 RBAs with me when I leave the house.. Just depends on how long I'll be out. I've never run into a situation where I've been unable to vape. And if every RBA I bring with me fails, there's always a trusty carto and tank. Why not grab something small simple like that if you don't feel like carrying around several RBAs?

So... no, I don't agree with ya! ;)

Rebuilding takes a bit of time, and some effort, but once you get it down, your vapor and your flavor will be there. You'll put down your other atties/cartos/clearos and you won't look back.

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
A bad day with my genny is better than a good day with a vivi. It goes to work with me every day, never have a problem with it.

Don't know what to tell you to do to make yours better, it just takes getting the wick and coil figured out. If vapor production and flavor are off, try changing the resistance of your coil. Maybe a tighter or looser wick...

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I'm happy with the effective delivery of the goods. I found that out kind of the hard way when I vaped my first rba type drip the same exact way I vaped my other drip Atties and made myself nauseated from too much nic. Now, will only vape my precious WTA DIY with the rba type. Have no clue why though.....

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i agree with you, rba are over rated. the flavor isnt that good, the vapor is over rated, and they are just to heavy. i think i am going back to cartos. sorry, just kidding. actually like most have said, they are just better in every way period. it just takes time to master the set-up. you can have just one microshort in your coil and it totally sucks, its a fine line to a perfect set-up. its not for everyone thats for sure, they can be a pain, but once they are purring, theres nothing better imo. lowΩ with ceramic, even better

m4gs

Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
NJ
See now tinkering with the RBA I actually enjoy... I love building the coil and I feel accomplished when its done and vapes great, I just think the whole thing is a bit fragile even when done perfect.

Flavor is the #1 reason I went down this road, and I do need to get more experience and experiment with a bunch more higher/lower ohm's... I do love the rebuildable atty that im not against... the tank still hasnt risen to the top for me yet.

Not going off topic... I still want to hear peoples opinions, but any advice to getting this superior flavor and monster vapes im all ears. I thought I had read, and seen enough tutorials but i guess im still a newbie

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
For me, it took a while to become confident enough in my builds to take them anywhere. I'd vape them at home; but when I went out, I'd take Vivi Novas or CE2s. Then I began venturing out with my RBAs, but still took my VNs and CE2s as back up. I had one foot in, and one foot out of the rebuildable game. After realizing eventually that I never seemed to need to dig into the golf bag, or run back to the truck, for a back up, I went exclusively with the RBAs. Today I have several high end units; and they go with me everywhere. Usually, I'll take one spare. The only time I've ever had to use the spare was when I cracked a tank on one of my DIDs. It banged into the side of the cup holder on a golf cart, and all the juice spilled out. To me, only using RBAs on the couch would be like owning a Rolex watch; and only wearing it around the house.

m4gs

Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
NJ
Gennies are what changed my quality of vaping. I have a DID clone which you say is crap, but when built right is amazing. They're always as good as how you rebuild it, so they are nowhere near overrated IMHO.

I only said my DID was crap because the crap plastic tank, and the o-rings that came with it are to small and the tank completely leaks. Other then that the head is a decent build.

Again guys im not completely off board I just wanted to see if anyone did think they are overrated, after hearing a 100 ppl tell me they are amazing I will proably push myself harder. Until now im making 1-2 coils a day till I hit that perfect vape. Next im going to try lower ohms. I been anywhere from 1.5-2.5 since I got em, and btw I vape on a provari

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
Like most of the others here, once I got mine set up properly I have not wanted to go back to cartos or Vivis. My DiD clone runs as well as my Z-Atty Pro. Both have been running on the same wick and coil for almost two months now, that's awesome to me.

I'm now trying to figure out my Terminator-C, my first setup was terrible. I just put my second silica wick and NR/R/NR coil together and it seems better this time.

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
I only said my DID was crap because the crap plastic tank, and the o-rings that came with it are to small and the tank completely leaks. Other then that the head is a decent build.

My clone came with the metal tank and that didn't leak, I just added the plastic tank and it started leaking. Might be worth trying the glass tank from ibtanked. I hate not knowing how much juice is in the tank!

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
We'll I've got 19 mods locked and loaded in front of my computer right now and 17 of them have rebuildables(two are not a BB with Boge not rebuildable and a IBtanked with Boge carto), genesis's, bottom fed rebuildables, dripping rebuildables, tank rebuildables (one of which is a Killer 705 tank RBA in a UFS beats big time a china atty in the UFS). IMHO all of them beat China off the shelf atty's, carto's, ViVi Nova, clearo's you name it. The only off the shelf atty that comes close is a HH 357. But having said all that when I go out and especially if I'm driving for a long time I'll usually bring a bottom feeder with a carto on it. That way if I over squank I won't have to worry about flooding because of not paying attention especially when keeping eyes on the road. I could use a carto tank when driving but to me it looks a little too weird and people in cars next to you will sometimes give weird looks (lol). I just got a Billet Box that uses cartos so I'll probably be using that for now on when I'm out. It's build like a tank and looks not too weird so it will draw less attention.

Last edited:

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
1. It depends on when you started vaping, honestly. We used to deal with carts (not cartos, cartridges) with separate attys and crappy dripping attys. That was about all that existed. Pyramid tea-bag mods, blue foam, etc. You're at a time now when in all fairness, many things will give you a very nice vape without being an RBA.

2. Flavor depends on juice. Not knowing what you have, it's very hard to know what you're experiencing.

3. Vapor depends on a lot of things: wattage, coil temperature, airflow, juice composition, etc. And again, you're vaping at time when there are non-rebuildable attys that vape quite well.

4. Not everything leaks, but most Genesis-style tanks will without the fill-hole plug (and even with it, in some cases). And you'll get to the point if you use them long enough where you can trust a coil to vape while out and about. If not, do as Adeline says and carry a spare carto for emergencies. They're tiny. But something like an IGO-L, while not a tank, can certainly be trusted to vape if you've built a good coil, which even for a beginner is not at all difficult.

I don't consider them over-rated. After two full years of vaping, I don't touch a carto or ViviNova unless I'm desperate, which honestly doesn't happen. And I have all that stuff sitting here. It goes unused.

st0nedpenguin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2010
WA
Until now im making 1-2 coils a day till I hit that perfect vape. Next im going to try lower ohms. I been anywhere from 1.5-2.5 since I got em, and btw I vape on a provari

That's probably part of your problem.

Flavour and vapour production is good on a fresh build, but it just keeps getting better and better from there on out.

jazzbo

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2011
Orlando, Fl
Over-rated? Not to me. With Genesis type RBAs, practice makes perfect. Once it's going, don't eff with it! Be careful removing the cap so you don't knock the wick/coil. Even Phoenix RBAs are awesome for dripping; they beat any other standard atty I've ever used. Pop a coil? No problem...throw a new one in. There's just no downside to RBAs that I can see...except it is only as good as you can make it. And that's really an upside once you get it down. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread