Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May I ask for a little more detail about using a clapton coil in a single coil MTL rta?
Out of curiosity I ordered some clapton wire (to be prcise this one: Geekvape Clapton Wire KA1 / 28ga x 2 + 32ga 15ft -$4.29 Online Shopping| GearBest.com ) because I heard everyone raving about the great flavor you get from these... but MAN this wire is HUGE...
So I build a little test coil 5 wraps with ID 3 mm (seems less doesn´t make sense with such a big wire) and put it in a fev v4 to test it... made a microcoil that means no space between the wraps... but only the very side of the coil was glowing when I made the initla "dry burn", the rest or the coil stayed dark... that was with 20 watts.
Long story short: I failed. Is there anything to be considered when using clapton wire in a MTL tank? Spaced vs. Microcoil? Still love to try it again once.
Thanks,
K.

Try putting a little space between your wraps, and you'll find that the coils will heat up more evenly and quicker for ya, plus give you better flavor.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Just to avoid confusion (I hate to be that "correcting" guy, but I'm gonna...lol): Believe you mean spaced vs contact coil. Microcoil generally refers a simple, single, round wire wrap.

With Claptons, or any other chunkier contact coil, it takes a little work to get them glowing evenly. Rake them, move your build tool back and forth inside the coil, "gentle" pulses that allow the heat to slowly spread across the coil and get them going...
Micro coil and contact coil are synonymous.

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
Thanks all, will try your tips ... do Claptons and Scottish roll type wicks go well together?

Edit:
Yeah, it was for me, too, but I see the possible confusion - no problem in being corrected, thanks.

K.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016

Hmmm. Interesting. Not the usage case I've been using/seeing the last couple of years. Microcoils: Single round wire wrap, contact or spaced. Never heard a Clapton, or its kin, which can be contact or spaced, referred to as a microcoil.

Reactions: stols001

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
The way I have learned is a Micro coil refers to it's inner dimension, like 2mm or smaller, but typically 1.58mm I.D., and a Macro coil is bigger than 2mm I.D. A contact and spaced coil are separate things. One can have a Micro Coil that is Spaced or Contact. Then there is a Nano Coil which is around a 1mm I.D. coil.

Edit; I might be slightly off on those dimensions, but close enough for this conversation I would think.

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Last edited:

callmeal

Nov 28, 2017
Speaking of coils I'm looking to get some ss coils for tc vaping with this, was wondering would these be okay or are they more suited to DTL vaping? Maybe I'm better off just buying some ss316 wire and making the coils myself?

Attachments

• SS316 28ga coils.png
    SS316 28ga coils.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 26

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Hmmm. Interesting. Not the usage case I've been using/seeing the last couple of years. Microcoils: Single round wire wrap, contact or spaced. Never heard a Clapton, or its kin, which can be contact or spaced, referred to as a microcoil.
Ah, now I see what you are saying and yes that sounds a bit more accurate with a little difference on the single round wire.

For single wire you can either have a contact coil (micro coil is the same thing and is used synonymously) or a spaced coil. In single wire builds the terms contact coil and micro coil mean the same thing, to my understanding.

I'm not sure about the clapton world as I never use claptons and don't follow the terms used.

Last edited:

mattymatt82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Kansas City
Well I have found a problem with mine, I am getting juice seeping from the top cap, the 1st time it happened, I just thought I might of over filled it, but 2 more fills and still getting a bit of seepage, seems it is not making a proper seal when the top is closed, and of course there is no extra gasket for the fill port.

But it won't stop me using it, it is just minor, so quick wipe with paper towel and vape on.
My tank is doing this also - not too bad but a little anoying

callmeal

Nov 28, 2017
I can't see the diameter of those coils but, If it fits, try it. TC is typically used at .1Ω range, but can TC at any resistance. Some atomizers don't have enough room for bigger diameter coils, that is something you will need to measure to know.

They are 3mm diameter I believe. I would of thought .1Ω would be a bit too low for mtl vaping?

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Ah, now I see what you are saying and yes that sounds a bit more accurate with a little difference on the single round wire.

For single wire you can either have a contact coil (micro coil is the same thing and is used synonymously) or a spaced coil. In single wire builds the terms contact coil and micro coil mean the same thing, to my understanding.

I'm not sure about the clapton world as I never use claptons and don't follow the terms used.

That's where I'm coming from...in the context of the "clapton" world. When I first started vaping a couple years ago now, claptons and, soon, the variations (fused, staples, aliens etc) were just beginning to become popular. They were "big, chunky" coils compared to a 1.8 ohm simple kanthal MTL coil. So, people started referring to simple, single wire builds as "microcoils". They could either be spaced or contact. Micro and Contact were/are not used synonymously. Many use the word in that context. Not saying your wrong (or that I'm right), just saying that's how many are using the terms "in my experience".

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I don't know about 'most' people, but it seems this may be a case of language and usage evolution. Micro coil (to me) has always been synonymous with contact coil. I'm with Toolman on this one.
    Yep, and 1-1.5mm was a common ID...

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    I don't know about 'most' people, but it seems this may be a case of language and usage evolution. Micro coil (to me) has always been synonymous with contact coil. I'm with Toolman on this one.
    I think this is dead on, during the evolution of rebuildables the term "micro coil" meant a contact coil and a spaced coil of course meant a coil that was spaced. Those were the terms used 2012-2015/16 that I always saw referenced.

I'm sure in the cloud world the term micro coil probably just got adopted for any single wire above ohm coil.

As always, the terms and acronyms in this industry are always all over the place.

But PG always comes first in juice definition (i.e. 70/30 is 70PG and 30VG) and all you kids get off my lawn!!

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I think this is dead on, during the evolution of rebuildables the term "micro coil" meant a contact coil and a spaced coil of course meant a coil that was spaced. Those were the terms used 2012-2015/16 that I always saw referenced.

I'm sure in the cloud world the term micro coil probably just got adopted for any single wire above ohm coil.

As always, the terms and acronyms in this industry are always all over the place.

But PG always come first in juice definition (i.e. 70/30 is 70PG and 30VG) and all you kids get off my lawn!!

"Micro" literally means small and was referring to the ID of the coil being 1/16th inch (1.5mm) or less AND with the wraps in contact. Anything larger with wraps in contact were just a contact coil. ALL coils with space between the wraps were spaced coils.

To avoid any confusion when talking about juice I always specify the PG/VG when I type my numbers (ex: 65PG/35VG OR 70/30 PG/VG)

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    TC is typically used at .1Ω range, but can TC at any resistance.

Actually it depends on the wire. For SS I wouldn't even attempt to TC below .5Ω since it has such a low TCR if you go much lower in resistance it will not be accurate. You can go lower with the other TC wires as they are more reactive to temp changes.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    "Micro" literally means small and was referring to the ID of the coil being 1/16th inch (1.5mm) or less AND with the wraps in contact. Anything larger with wraps in contact were just a contact coil. ALL coils with space between the wraps were spaced coils.

To avoid any confusion when talking about juice I always specify the PG/VG when I type my numbers (ex: 65PG/35VG OR 70/30 PG/VG)
    I guess it depends on who you "grew up" on but I watched many builders who used the term "micro" coil for coils in the 2mm range (give or take).

Don't hate LOL :)

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I guess it depends on who you "grew up" on but I watched many builders who used the term "micro" coil for coils in the 2mm range (give or take).

Don't hate LOL :)

Why would I hate? Those videos reinforced my point. OK maybe the cut off point for what diameter is a micro, macro, nano, etc might be different but that still reinforces my point that those terms have to do with SIZE, thus micro does NOT mean ALL contact coils and never has.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread