Argument Starter: Your Best "Big Hit" e-cig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0va

May 13, 2009
a broken in m401 delivers great throat hit and good battery life. I ended up buying 60 empty cartridges and an assortment of juice. My Janty Stick provides so much throat hit that after 3 hours of vaping I had a sore throat the next day. I'm going to have to buy some lower density juice for it soon. Fantastic device so far and I couldn't be happier with both said products. :rolleyes:

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
out of curiosity are you one of those strange smokers who inhales directly into the lungs as opposed to into the mouth first and then into the lungs.. ???

ha ha No! I keep a tiny bottle at work and top off before every few hits, I keep 4 batteries on me so I can keep it fresh.
Just trying to decide which is best for me since I can afford only one right now. I'd like to see an e-cig bar where I could test them all, then decide where I want to spend my next $50 to $150
thank God for eBay and cluttered closets HA HA!

wanted

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
Minnesota
All I've tried is my manual 510 and all I can say is there is a TON of vapor with every hit (ok I take that back, I also tried my boyfriends blucig... What a joke, it looks like a TOY with NO hit whatsoever... and almost NO vapor production...IMHO). I LOVE my 510 and highly recommend it. Use VG based liquid and you have LOTS and LOTS of clouds.... oooooo pretty clouds:lol::D:D:D

Tugger

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
I'll put in my vote for the kr808d-1/vapor king/nebula. It has the lightest draw of any e-cig I've tried (801, 510, 4081), it's not really even close. It's hassle-free, you'll basically never get juice on your hands or in your mouth, when an atomizer dies it's not a tragedy because they cost between $1.50 and $2.00. The throat hit is almost as good as a 510. The batteries last forever.

cigeasy.com has kits for $30 with one battery, if you want a cheap introduction.

There's a rabid fanbase for this one and the 510, I ran a poll to see which is more popular and the 510 won. But I'm undeterred. Eventually I'll buy a mod and probably be blown away by it, but for now the 808 is the best out there.

Yirabeth

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Michigan, USA
I think the problem is the batteries, not the actual atomizer..I have had this problem with my 901 -- I bought 5 batteries to start with, of those 5, three are the hard draw make my jaw sore but they CAN be used in a pinch sort...and of course they have a weaker vapor/throat hit as well (although I use (homemade) menthol exclusively, and menthol = throat hit) The other two are good, and "almost" like my passthrough... My passthrough is wonderful, good steady vaping experience, every time.

So I'd recommend a passthrough, but you have to be careful with THOSE too...because they're made very cheaply, and the wires break easily. After a lot of research here, I discovered I should have reinforced the cord (Gorilla Superglue where the cord meets the passthrough, and taped the cord to the battery to prevent excess wiggling of said cord at battery connection...) and that worked WONDERFULLY on my new passthrough -- right up until I inadvertantly flooded the passthrough. One DEAD passthrough at that point.../sigh

So I'd second the "mod" idea -- I've researched them, and for me the Prodigy seems like it will be the most appropriate, and it's getting some VERY good reviews. Of course, there IS a backlog on orders -- he has all the units, but he's filling orders for 500+ sold all at once, so the newest guesstimate from their customer service is 7-14 days before shipping if you order NOW. Still worthwhile IMO.

Puresmoker also has an american made passthrough which is getting rave reviews for sturdiness and performance, but again, he's filling a LOT of preorders right now so the days to shipping turnaround isn't going to be instant.

Of course, I'm sure other mods would be wonderful too, it just seemed the Prodigy had more of what I need so that's the way I'm going, you may wish to research and find what YOU need. Maybe make a list of what YOU need in a vaping experience and go down a checklist as you research them. (ie, sturdiness, button placement, warranty, availability, etc etc etc)

Good luck with your search, I'm sure the RIGHT method is out there for you!

~Yira

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I've tried the M401, 901 and 510.

The 901 has an easy draw but the only way I get a satisfactory "hit" is with a passthrough.

The M401 is my daily choice. Consistent hits from the beginning to the end of batteries and cartridges, which last quite awhile.

The 510 also gives a great hit and loads of vapor. My only gripe is the short cartridge life. It seems like I am constantly topping off.

ShMiGgY

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
i just recently took the cart out of my 401.. haven't used it since about 2 weeks ago.. haven't had to deal with crusty fiber wick that won't soak with juice after being used for a week, or my little straw mods that pull out along with the wick and fall on the floor every time i go to re-fill,,, etc. etc....

I have a little screw top container about the size of a quarter, about a soda pop bottles cap in height filled with juice... the exposed atty allows for a quick dip after every 10 draws or so... I'm sold... my 401 is now my go to. All i need is the 401 with a fresh batt and my little screw top container with a few ml's of juice in it, and i'm set for the day...

I can't recommend dipping enough... took ALL of the hassle out of my 401. There's better models for vapor, etc... but for battery life and convenience.. i just go with the 401.. a 2 second dip and i'm off again...

just wanted to add that i've seen lip balm, some makeups, etc. etc. in containers like the one i use... would want a screw top though so to not lose juice. Some folks use contact lense cleaners and i guess you could take two flavors with you if using these.... I never really got in to those threads,,,, but it's a damn good idea b/c it works wonders for my ease of vaping....

Last edited:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
It depends entirely on how you're going to use the device. You can get fantastic vapour and throat hit from a DSE 103 atomiser IF you use a USB passthrough and plug in to a usb battery. The Janty Stick is excellent. The Evo is excellent. All of the above will deliver both vapour and throat hit once you get used to them imho.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Those of you who are telling her to stay with an auto switch device that maybe gets 3 hours of battery life and can not come close to the hit of a 3.7v-5v battery (physics and electricity do not lie) are not listening to the OP. It is physically impossible for an auto switch device pushing maybe 200 mah to match a battery that pushes 700 to 1000 mA. And no one recommending auto switch devices ever talks about the cut off. I just don't get that. With the Prodigy, Screwdriver, GG, etc, you can inhale for 10 seconds+ if you feel the need with no cut off. Even the pass throughs have cut offs.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Those of you who are telling her to stay with an auto switch device that maybe gets 3 hours of battery life and can not come close to the hit of a 3.7v-5v battery (physics and electricity do not lie) are not listening to the OP. It is physically impossible for an auto switch device pushing maybe 200 mah to match a battery that pushes 700 to 1000 mA. And no one recommending auto switch devices ever talks about the cut off. I just don't get that. With the Prodigy, Screwdriver, GG, etc, you can inhale for 10 seconds+ if you feel the need with no cut off. Even the pass throughs have cut offs.

I have a manual switch Janty Stick which is terrific - but imho so are the auto devices I mentioned in a previous post. It all depends on what you want - variety of style in smoking can be a good thing. Ask any tobacco pipe smoker...:)

Zakratiz

Jun 12, 2009
South Dakota
my 401 doesn't have a cutoff, and no delay between hits... not sure why others do. I can hit it as long as i want, then, can take another hit whenever i want after that. not sure why mine are different??

I just got my 402 in a few weeks ago direct from smoore, its much different that what people say, the downsides are gone. The flavour, new cut off time (7-8 seconds), long battery life, efficient cart usage . I love it :D

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I have a manual switch Janty Stick which is terrific - but imho so are the auto devices I mentioned in a previous post. It all depends on what you want - variety of style in smoking can be a good thing. Ask any tobacco pipe smoker...:)

I don't disagree about variety. People are different. But when one reads what the OP was asking then the point is that auto switch devices can not measure up due the physical nature of how they are made. And I just don't think it is helping a new vaper that has already stated that a 901 is not cutting it for her to think that some other auto switch device is going to cut it. It will just make her more frustrated.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I just got my 402 in a few weeks ago direct from smoore, its much different that what people say, the downsides are gone. The flavour, new cut off time (7-8 seconds), long battery life, efficient cart usage . I love it :D

Long battery life?? Please define long? If it isn't 7-8 hours, then it is not "long" battery life.

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA

Ech, I have such a hard time understanding all this esp after filling my throbbing brain with so much info. I have read SO much, posted SO many threads that when I read about voltage and stuff, all I see are numbers, numbers. It's like when you do taxes. Of course, most anything numbers/math related is like to me!

I am very sold on the idea of something with a manual switch--that much is for sure.

Carry on, people!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Ech, I have such a hard time understanding all this esp after filling my throbbing brain with so much info. I have read SO much, posted SO many threads that when I read about voltage and stuff, all I see are numbers, numbers. It's like when you do taxes. Of course, most anything numbers/math related is like to me!

I am very sold on the idea of something with a manual switch--that much is for sure.

Carry on, people!

Good decision! That really narrows it down. If you want one that looks like an analog then you should strongly consider the 510. It is well supported on this forum. It's only drawbacks that I see are the short battery time (2-3 hours) and the cost of replacement batteries ($13 -$20)

If you want long battery life, good, consistent hit, batteries that last 6-8 hours and cost $2 to replace, then you should choose between the Prodigy, Screwdriver, Janty Stick or GG.

Good Luck!

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
I guess vapor production isn't as important as that kick--as when I 1st tried my 901 and thought "It's almost like smoking a cig". Billowy clouds don't mean much to me if there's not a good hit feeling.
I am understanding a tiny bit about voltage & whatnot. Still, it's a bit like looking at my taxes.
For comparison, what is the voltage of a 901 battery? (I don't understand what mAh means)

I've prob said all this already, here or in another thread....
The 510 was looking good until I seemed to read about how much fuss it might be.

The screwdriver looks neat to me too--have read a LOT about it. Though GG users hate it now.

The GG Transformer was HIGHLY recommended to me (for ability to choose batt size, atomizer, etc) though after seeing it in a video, I don't think my tiny hands can hold it. I am about the size of a 13 yr old girl :D

I was kinda looking at the Prodigy for it's versatility with atomizers and $5 batteries doesn't hurt either! Also, I can test it out for around $40 it looks like. But I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on it.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Trust me, you will be more than satisfied with either the Screwdriver (SD) or Prodigy (PD). The SD is smaller in size (same size as a 901) whereas the PD has more volts from a battery standpoint. (3.7v vs 5v) Both of them will "hit" harder than 98% of PV's. Both have batteries that cost $2 and last between 5-8 hours on a charge. mAh stands for milliamps per hour. The bigger the number the better.

There is a whole subforum on this forum for Puresmoker in suppliers section with hundreds of posts on the PD. If you go to - The ScrewDriver - An electronic cigarette that simply works trog has a forum on his site dedicated to everything SD.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
The screwdriver looks neat to me too--have read a LOT about it. Though GG users hate it now.

I don't know what your agenda is here, but I take exception to that inane remark.

I have both the GG and the SD and they are both absolutely great in providing a good vaping experience.

Although I primarily vape with the GG now, I occasionally use the SD when I want a break from 6v.

For the most part, I use the SD when I first get up in the morning. More so to ease into 6v vaping.

Although lately I seem to be ok with 6v vaping when I first get up, but I still use the SD occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread