Jul 25, 2013
NY

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Im a little disappointed that they didnt include other age groups besides 18-24.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
In 2017, a median of 4.6% of U.S. adults were considered current users of e-cigarettes or similar devices, compared with 10.8% of those ages 18 to 24 and an average of 13.2% of high school students.

That third number (13.2% of high school students), is now up to 27% in 2019, thanks to Juul.
Personally I dont blame juul, they are in business like any other company. I blame those who dont enforce the sales for underage or parents. With that line of thinking we could blame every body except ourselves for everything. In my life, I knew everything bad thing I was getting into and if I abused it, I blame no one but myself.....most of everything out there is not good for you, should we blame everything? Personally I'm tire of everyone blaming everyone else except themselves. I hate what's happened, and I'm ...... off because its hurting people that are trying to stop smoking for real, but I dont necessary blame juul, I blame the kids and their parents. I dont believe these kids didnt know what they were getting into, they are computer pros at a very young age and they know how to google and every bit of what's in a juul is out there and easily available to read

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Personally I dont blame juul, they are in business like any other company. I blame those who dont enforce the sales for underage or parents. With that line of thinking we could blame every body except ourselves for everything. In my life, I knew everything bad thing I was getting into and if I abused it, I blame no one but myself.....most of everything out there is not good for you, should we blame everything? Personally I'm tire of everyone blaming everyone else except themselves. I hate what's happened, and I'm ...... off because its hurting people that are trying to stop smoking for real, but I dont necessary blame juul, I blame the kids and their parents. I dont believe these kids didnt know what they were getting into, they are computer pros at a very young age and they know how to google and every bit of what's in a juul is out there and easily available to read
Yeah, I agree that the primary blame lies with the kids and their parents, but I'm also convinced that Juul was marketing to younger Americans up until this year. It's only in 2019, that they started targeting older Americans.

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, I agree that the primary blame lies with the kids and their parents, but I'm also convinced that Juul was marketing to younger Americans up until this year. It's only in 2019, that they started targeting older Americans.
I cant say I never saw or heard any Juul marketing until this year.

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Btw, when I was 7 my moms boyfriend thought it would be funny to watch me smoke. So he gave me cigarettes. I dont know if I blame him. It wasnt until I was 12 that I started stealing my moms. But then this clique of girls I wanted to be with wouldnt let me in so I quit. Didnt pick it back up until I was 18. I never thought it was harmful. I was surrounded by smokers my whole life. Who's fault is it? I don't know but honestly I don't think it really matters. It happened. I'm hooked.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Btw, when I was 7 my moms boyfriend thought it would be funny to watch me smoke. So he gave me cigarettes. I dont know if I blame him. It wasnt until I was 12 that I started stealing my moms. But then this clique of girls I wanted to be with wouldnt let me in so I quit. Didnt pick it back up until I was 18. I never thought it was harmful. I was surrounded by smokers my whole life. Who's fault is it? I don't know but honestly I don't think it really matters. It happened. I'm hooked.
Same here, my mom and dad smoked , so naturally I wanted to be like them and picked it up. I believe it was a different time however, because I dont think the dangers were really known like today. They smoked in the house and I'm sure my mom smoked when pregnant, so I honestly dont think they really knew how bad it was and me either. Today its totally different imo because everyone know its seriously bad and if my parents were bringing me up in today's world, they would of let me know just how bad it was. But I hear you , sometimes you think, how can some of these products be able to be sold, it's just too enticing and if they weren't there, we wouldn't have to worry about it.....tough situation

zelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2009
Echo Beach
I don't blame Juul or the parents. I've seen plenty of advertising on Instagram geared to younger vapers .... and it wasn't from Juul. I started smoking in my teens when I was underage. It certainly wasn't my parents' fault. There were no flavors to entice me but I still smoked. Since when was it decided to protect teenagers from everything? Teenagers are a lot smarter and informed than the govt/media are giving them credit for.

USNews by the way has another article on youth vaping in which it's stated eliquid has cancer-causing chemicals, harmful substances and nicotine even it's supposed to be nicotine free. And the article mentions a majority of e-cigarette users smoke cigarettes too.

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthi...-and-e-cigarettes-a-new-public-health-problem

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I used to hear that a LOT, over a year ago. Back then, I kept searching for ads they used, and there was nothing there really directed at kids. Nothing but ads with attractive 20 somethings that maybe kids aspired to be like. They've admitted to "lifestyle" ads, and using social media. They looked like an old (legal) cigarette magazine ad, like Capri or something. But the way people talk, it was over the top. I'm genuinely interested to see real (non anecdotal, non opinion based) examples of how they directly marketed to teens. I mean, other than the one report saying a rep talked to kids in a school.

And I'm open to hearing what you base that on - that they didn't market to adults until 2019, because that doesn't even make sense. They invested millions to replicate smoking, and high schoolers aren't the biggest potential market. If the device wasn't intended for adults originally, why go to great pains to make it so much like the cigarette experience?

Did they do some things media wise that would help with the teen market? Of course. Did they try to prevent the adoption by teenagers? Hell no, they gave it a wink & nod and collected the profits. But the device was not invented for kids, and marketed just for kids to begin with. I don't use or like Juul, and don't care for what they've done to the vape industry, but I think it's hugely inaccurate to say they only started marketing to adults months ago.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I used to hear that a LOT, over a year ago. Back then, I kept searching for ads they used, and there was nothing there really directed at kids. Nothing but ads with attractive 20 somethings that maybe kids aspired to be like. They've admitted to "lifestyle" ads, and using social media. They looked like an old (legal) cigarette magazine ad, like Capri or something. But the way people talk, it was over the top. I'm genuinely interested to see real (non anecdotal, non opinion based) examples of how they directly marketed to teens. I mean, other than the one report saying a rep talked to kids in a school.

And I'm open to hearing what you base that on - that they didn't market to adults until 2019, because that doesn't even make sense. They invested millions to replicate smoking, and high schoolers aren't the biggest potential market. If the device wasn't intended for adults originally, why go to great pains to make it so much like the cigarette experience?

Did they do some things media wise that would help with the teen market? Of course. Did they try to prevent the adoption by teenagers? Hell no, they gave it a wink & nod and collected the profits. But the device was not invented for kids, and marketed just for kids to begin with. I don't use or like Juul, and don't care for what they've done to the vape industry, but I think it's hugely inaccurate to say they only started marketing to adults months ago.

I deliberately used the the terms "younger Americans" and "older Americans", and not "kids" and "adults". Of course they're not gonna use teenagers in their ads.

The smoking rate among 18-24 year olds is much lower than 24-44 and 45-64 year olds, and the total numbers are far lower as well, but these ads only started to appear in 2019:

12ROOSE05-articleLarge.jpg

images

Prior to this year, their instagram page was full of these memes:

upload_2019-9-30_15-9-33.jpeg

event_72-1200x721.jpg

why-are-there-toilets-in-the-juul-room-me-irl-32337854.png

http://tobacco.stanford.edu/tobacco_main/publications/JUUL_Marketing_Stanford.pdf

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I deliberately used the the terms "younger Americans" and "older Americans", and not "kids" and "adults". Of course they're not gonna use teenagers in their ads.

The smoking rate among 18-24 year olds is much lower than 24-44 and 45-64 year olds, and the total numbers are far lower as well, but these ads only started to appear in 2019:

images

View attachment 841943

event_72-1200x721.jpg

http://tobacco.stanford.edu/tobacco_main/publications/JUUL_Marketing_Stanford.pdf
Wow! I had no idea. Those do look like teens. And now the look like middle aged adults. Terrible.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

images

View attachment 841943

event_72-1200x721.jpg

Yes, you did say younger Americans. And I've seen the recent TV ads directed to adults. But the girl ad is from several years ago, and is the one I was referring to that resembled cigarette ads.

But you also said they didn't market to older Americans until 2019 - several months ago. Truth is, I didn't see any of their marketing until recently. I think a large part of their "marketing" was placement in retail, esp. convenience stores. But the incessant claims (from others, not so much your statement- yours was more accurate), made me want to reply.

Hey, I don't totally disagree with you. There's a lot of truth in what you say.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread