Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
Just tell them you bought it 3 weeks ago and they will get you straightened out!! :D They have even stated on another forum that they would honor warranties on items purchased second hand (craigslist, etc...) they really stand behind their product and really seem to want their users to have a positive experience. I know it has worked for me :D
You where right. :) They sent me a tracking number and I just contacted them this afternoon. They seem on top of there game. :) Thanks

mpkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2009
Town of Stark, NY
I know I said in my previous review that it wouldn't become a regular piece in my collection. Shortly after I wrote that review my SR AVA died. I had soaked it in91% ISO alcohol for about 10 minutes, blew it out, let it sit for a bit, and it was dead. I sent an email asking about any warranty. I didn't hear back (and never have) so I ordered a LR non-bottom feed (sealed end) only because of the sale they had going at the time. This one meters at 1.7-1.8 on my ProVari. It has been one month since I ordered -less than a month that I have been using this one. I have been using it almost exclusively, It is still working just fine, but the results have been entirely different. I typically buy atty's in the 2.5 or lower range and my only experience with higher resistance attys is the AVA that I initially purchased. The maximum voltage I can get with my V1 ProVari is 4.2. The vapor is on par with other most atty's but the flavor is significantly different from my first AVA. It is difficult (if not impossible) to quantify the difference, but if my first SR was a 9 or 10 this LR is a 6 on a good day. I purchased an entirely different atty (SR @ 3.2 open end vs. LR @ 1.8 sealed end) but the performance with a VV device shouldn't be that much (should it??)

What I can report is:
1. Flavor is not as good (and has not improved)
2. It uses more juice (3 drops was spot on with first, 4-5 on new one)
3. it leaks more (if I am not chain vaping after a top off I get leakage)
4. vapor production is good (same as initial purchase)
5. my first one failed out of the blue after less than 2 months (cost vs. longevity)

Considering other reviewers "hit or miss" problems with this atty and my own experience I won't likely order another one unless there's a really good sale. I don't dislike the AVA, but when I can get the same flavor, TH, and vapor from a Cisco Spec 306 atty at less than half the cost, it is a no brainer.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I don't really do any official reviews on products but I figured I would share my experience on this AVA atomizer.

I went to pick up some juice at my local Vape shop....yes, I finally have an actual physical shop 2 miles from my house now!! I was chattin with one of the guys there and he mentioned something about a ceramic atomizer so naturally I was intrigued and started investigating. Here is my story:

History: started vaping a lil over 2.5 years ago, i figured it out quick(like 3 days) and never bounced back to cigarettes. Shortly after I found 510 cartridges a pain and started dripping......was good to go. Then I found 6v :p , I was in heaven.
Up til now I have tried cartomizers, a couple of tanks and various different atomizers but straight dripping into a traditional 510 atty always seemed to work best so that's all I do. Concerned with longevity and a desire to eliminate/reduce that damned burned taste when accidently hitting dry I started looking for reviews about this AVA and came across this thread. I read every single page and then I ordered a HR ava and have been using it for just over 2 weeks.
I vape everywhere I go, all day, every day. I might be considered a "heavy vaper"

so, on to the Thoughts about the AVA:

Device:
Prodigy V3.1, 6v mechanical unregulated(no vv)

liquid:
50/50 vp/pg 24mg, mostly lighter tasting fruit stuff

Atty:
AVA HR sealed bottom (flat bottom) ordered direct from ThermoVape

Price:
price was 39.97. I have a few thoughts on this price. While it can seem expensive for some I find it to be a great value.
The order came with the atty in a cool resealable tube, a pretty sweet stainless steel super wide mouth drip tip and for no reason it also came with a lil longer black delrin drip tip of the same shape and big wide hole in another of those resealable tubes. Now, it was pretty nice to see a $40 atty arrive like that instead of just the atty in plastic wrap.
This drip tip has now become my favorite of all I have ever used, the wide hole makes dripping even easier than it already was. I can understand that some may not give 2 ....s about some drip tips but if this atomizer goes a few months and it comes with that then to me it is a great value and will instantly save on buying atty's.

Flavor:
As some have said, this atomizer is a flavor monster. All of my flavors are greatly enhanced and very very clean. I remember awhile back when carto's were coming on the scene and people were saying how clean and great tasting carto's were, I tried em and found(at least to me) that this clean flavor was nothing more that the taste of the filler and it really turned me off of them. This atomizer provides the best, cleanest, most pure flavor taste of anything I have tried!! I can honestly say, all you taste is the juice. Also, since there is no silica or fiber "wick" there is almost no flavor "carry over" when changing juices. A quick blow-out with a paper towel and you are fresh to go with the next juice.

Draw:
Mine came with the 4 are holes on the connector. At first it seemed a lil "airy" for me but actually worked great. It is still way less "airy" than a standard tank cartomizer.

running it dry:
I am a full time dripper and lets be honest.....a dripper will occasionally run an atty light or dry. I think we all know how bad a burned traditional atty tastes....man does it suck. The AVA has yet to ever give me that. There is a very distinct flavor change once you are running close to the end of your drips and need to re-up but it is NOT harsh!!! You can just make out the taste of the ceramic getting hot but that's it!! no burned taste or smell and no harsh hit on yer lungs. This is where this atty really shines for me.

Throat Hit:
I use 24mg juice and I like a nice big throat hit....let's you know it's werkin :) This thing hit's like a champ.....or freight train....Mack truck. However you want to say it it hits great. It's kinda hard to tell unless you are a pro but even the TH seems to be a bit smoother, cleaner and more crisp....possibly to do with the fact that there is no fiber fill/wick to interfere.

Vapor production:
I know there are folks out there that enjoy a ton of vapor almost even if the TH and flavor aren't really there. There are some that say this atty isn't really the greatest at vapor production and I kinda see why.
I too like a nice amount of vapor and right out of the box through "break-in" it would seem that it doesn't produce much. But we need to remember something, this is not a traditional atomizer. It uses different materials and cycles fluid a lil differently than regular atty's. That being said once you get used to the AVA and it has made it through the break-in you can get a bunch of vaper, it just doesn't come as quick. Some traditional atty's give clouds on a short puffs, this one needs longer draws to get similar vapor but it IS there.

Overall:
I think this thing kicks ...., it is solid and well put together. I have been on it for 2 weeks straight and it hits like brand new. I even dropped it on a concrete floor a couple days after I got it and was alil worried but it kept on truckin.I will say that the AVA does need good power to run. I am in the market to upgrade to a PoVari and one of the guys at that shop was nice enough to let me try this atty on his ProVari.........I thought it was hitting awesome on my unregulated Prodigy but DAMN, it's performance shot WAY up on that thing!!!

Thanks to everybody on this thread for the info I mooched a couple weeks ago when deciding on this thing and I hope this helps somebody else.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
This is unheard of .... great deal imo. You can hardly beat the flavor and that's where it's at granted you get the atty broken in and producing great vapor. I find it best with a little extra voltage than usual; possibly due to the design.
ThermoVape just posted this video on Facebook.

So alongside the 3 month warranty, for $10 plus S&H they will repair an non-working AVA...very good to know! :D I have two going right now and seriously never want to be with out one! These attys have totally rocked my world!

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
Photo%252520Aug%25252010%25252C%2525202012%2525209%25253A38%252520AM.jpg

Here is a pic of them. I wrote a second look at them which has another pic. I know the ipad camera is not the best but I think the inside of the atty looks cool. I am surprised at how great there customer service is. Thanks for those that recommend me to email them after it died in 3 weeks. Hopefully the new ones will last more then 3 weeks and I can do a 3rd look or something else after my second look at them.

hmm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2011
NYC
Hi!
I just got one of these AVA LR style :)

My main concern is the heat it generates. Has anyone else had any Thoughts on this? I read this whole string and not one mention of high temps or uncomfortness after extensive use. I'm not even using it long just a couple of minutes at most and I can feel my provari's upper equator getting too hot - as well as the mouthpiece provided TM.

Roxxette

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
Caribbean
Hi!
I just got one of these AVA LR style :)

My main concern is the heat it generates. Has anyone else had any Thoughts on this? I read this whole string and not one mention of high temps or uncomfortness after extensive use. I'm not even using it long just a couple of minutes at most and I can feel my provari's upper equator getting too hot - as well as the mouthpiece provided TM.

If you dont like the feel of hot steel in your lips i recommend a plastic dt but not a cheap one try to find a delrin one or the ones they sell, the ava will generate more heat than other attys due to the wick wich is ceramic so it will take more power to vaporize liquid.

hmm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2011
NYC
The upper part, approximately from where the screen is and up towards the atty. Its gotten me a bit concerned as I can feel the heat from the outside, so I'm guessing the inside must be just as hot or more. Its hotter than, let's say you've been holding the mod like a fist in your pocket for 15 minutes without letting go. Just after using it for only at most 2-3 minutes. I'm signing off, but I'll continue this with you tomorrow. Going to have to go back to my HH until I can see what's going on here.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Lots of heat? Yeah there is come to think about it, and i only use VV with my LR AVA. It seems to need a bit more voltage than a conventional 3.7 pv can provide. i.e. I use 3.8 to 4.2 v on the LR.
Just heat it to vaporizing heat, get a few good vapes and put it down.
I use multiple pv's as I chain vape.
I also use pyrex d/ts' - not shorties.
About the Provari, same thing... if you're satisfied with the vape, get another pv to alternate vapes with.
I have an AVA on my Provari or Vmax and a couple/few HH357 LR's on some 3.7 pv's and another VV and bottom feeders.

The upper part, approximately from where the screen is and up towards the atty. Its gotten me a bit concerned as I can feel the heat from the outside, so I'm guessing the inside must be just as hot or more. Its hotter than, let's say you've been holding the mod like a fist in your pocket for 15 minutes without letting go. Just after using it for only at most 2-3 minutes. I'm signing off, but I'll continue this with you tomorrow. Going to have to go back to my HH until I can see what's going on here.

adding: if you want the most insulating d/t, a pyrex donut is thick and big... i can hardly feel the heat on it, and yeah i worry about whatever the pv i'm using, and i keep an eye out that i'm not cinderizing anything.

Last edited:

hmm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2011
NYC
Hi, and good morning to all,
ukeman - What is a pyrex donut? Link please :) I'm not into glass tips so much as I am kind of a klutz in the streets and I live in nyc, where getting shoved, pushed around is how I stir my coffee. I might accidentally drop it or hurt someone -- but for home it might be a good idea.
As for the multi devices suggestion that sounds okay, though when I leave for the day I don't grab more than one mod, an aty and a bottle of juice. If I know it will one of those days I grab a spare battery. But I've figured it out that one set up is really all I ever need. So if I do want this aty to be in my every day rotation, I will need to figure out if this heat is bad for the provari (my go-to device).

roxxette - The HH doesn't get the provari or mouth piece hot. My assumption is the ceramic holding a high temperature after I'm finished firing keeps the general area hot - then I hit it again and again and the heat continues to emit on the tip and device. I think the Original Poster of this string mentioned using a drip shield, I wonder what that does to the temperature.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
hmm, Pyrex d/t's: Theecig.com and MrsTsbakery.com are two websites that carry pyrex tips. Also Sagewood glassworks has a facebook page.
Unfortunately Donut pyrex is hard to find... they are a donut shape with a hole at top and bottom.
Pyrex is best for dripping as the juice goes down fast and doesn't come up into your mouth, and it cooler, if its not too short.
Anything long enough is somewhat difficult to carry in your pocket, i'll admit. You could use a carrying case for your pv.

I use a bottom feeder when i leave home; either the Reo Grand or the Vmod XL. They are not VV so i use a 1.5 LR atomizers. I won't post about them on this thread though.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Thanks for that tip Hmm, I was using my Provari today with an LR AVA and wow; at 4.1v eventually i got an E1 error code; it's an older AVA LR and it's gone like that before; after cleaning it seems to work for a while.
I put another LR AVA one of the USA ones on (1.6 Ohm) my Vmax.
If you want some fun with AVA LR try a Vmax. At .30 it hits as hard as the Provari at 3.7+v. It doesn't seem to get as hot.

hmm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2011
NYC
Ukeman,
Is the vmax plastic? Wont the heat of the atty effect the mod?

Also a curious question to all, how many of these are people buying? I only bought one and I'd like another but I'm feeling a little too uncomfortable with the heat to spend another $50 maybe in the future if they make a new version that is less heat conductive.

I know its all about budgets, at least for me -- but I'd like to know if the evaluation of these attys is better/different with multiple ones in hand.

MarcK73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Ukeman,
Is the vmax plastic? Wont the heat of the atty effect the mod?

Also a curious question to all, how many of these are people buying? I only bought one and I'd like another but I'm feeling a little too uncomfortable with the heat to spend another $50 maybe in the future if they make a new version that is less heat conductive.

I know its all about budgets, at least for me -- but I'd like to know if the evaluation of these attys is better/different with multiple ones in hand.

Both of my VMOD's do get pretty warm at the top with LR AVA's in them if I chain-vape, but it doesn't seem to have done anything to the plastic. I don't feel like it's warm enough to cause any harm.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Not sure but i think like me, Hmm is using higher voltage on our AVA LR's than what the Vmod puts out.
Both of my VMOD's do get pretty warm at the top with LR AVA's in them if I chain-vape, but it doesn't seem to have done anything to the plastic. I don't feel like it's warm enough to cause any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread