Bad vaping side effect: I gained 16 lbs this year as if I really quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyger0902

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
North Carolina
When I went cold turkey last September until December I had gained 25 lbs. Started smoking again. When I fully quit analogs in April until now I have lost most of it (have 7 lbs to go). To me it satisfies my sweet tooth (now if I could get out of my chips and dip, I'll loose those lbs). If I could walk I would get it off faster but I can only walk short distances. I have foot drop so my legs will start to trip me up.

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA
Ive gained not a lot of weight over the past year and 5 and a half months or so, but am accumulating belly fat since then. I attribute that not from switching over to vaping (36mg constant. to start, now 0 - 24mg avg. constant vaping), but from drinking too many fattening drinks and my job became much less of a physical job back in '08, along with getting older (now in my early 30's). You do tend to eat more especially when starting vaping, but in my experience, over time you return closer to the old eating habits. A gym or exercize would be something to look into, I know im thinking about a gym membership lately :)

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I gained 5 pounds, but fortunately I have dropped 2 of those pounds back off. I found my appetite really increased the first month I vaped. About 3 weeks ago, I just woke up one day and the ravenous appetite part was gone. I have found that I drink more water now because vaping makes my mouth feel more dry. I, too, figured that the weight gain was not a big deal in comparison to saving my life from quitting smoking.

quarter

Sep 3, 2010
Idaho
I gained 5 pounds, but fortunately I have dropped 2 of those pounds back off. I found my appetite really increased the first month I vaped. About 3 weeks ago, I just woke up one day and the ravenous appetite part was gone. I have found that I drink more water now because vaping makes my mouth feel more dry. I, too, figured that the weight gain was not a big deal in comparison to saving my life from quitting smoking.

That is exactly what happened to me. One day my appetite went back to normal; however, my water intake has been less since vaping which is not good so I have to work on that.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
I don't know how this all plays from smoking to vaping, but smoking assists with dehydration. Water weighs about 8lbs per gallon. When people stop smoking, they tend to get more thirsty. A lot of people grab a soda or other high-calorie drinks (orange juice has almost as many calories as a can of soda.)

I know it's not the whole thing, but I've been researching the whole thing because my wife's main reason for not wanting to quit smoking is because she doesn't want to get fat.

Shan B

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Latrobe, PA
www.Vapecore.com
oh dear lord 10 cans of soda. lol
i drink about that in coffee though.

I gained about 15 pounds

yeah dude, i know, like smokes, HFCS is some bad stuff for you, but my whole life growing up I've been addicted to Caffeine and Nicotine. Believe it or not used to weigh 98lbs, drinking about 4 pots of coffee and about 20 cans a soda, eating crackers in between. I now only drink about 1-3 cups of coffee a day, and 10 cans, and actually eat FOOD, so for me that's an improvement.

The way I see it, whether you gain or lose, it doesn't matter, what matters is you are FEELING healthier, showing sign of health being smoke free. I'm just happy, like others, that my lungs aren't being coughed up for breakfast or why trying to walk up a flight of steps.

Congrats to EVERYONE for vaping!!

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
I've lost a few pounds. Vape on!

Same here. I think that I'm vaping much more than I ever 'smoked'. I use 18mg nic in my cartomizers and constantly feeding the hand to mouth habit has decreased any snacking I used to do and seems to curb my appetite. I've noticed I'm eating less overall because I'm just less hungry.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
I've lost a few. But I don't think it's from vaping alone. Now that my life doesn't revolve around cigarettes, and I'm starting to get my breath back, I find myself doing way more. A couple weeks ago I put 18 windows in my house over the weekend. Had I been smoking I would have gotten to the first 6, collapsed on the couch and wondered if I'd ever get the last 12 done...and probably say F-it and play WoW. I haven't touched that game in a long time and my son and I run around the yard almost every day (with some of my pants falling off my ....). If you're gaining weight, do something about it. Literally...do something....now that you can.

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I drink coffee black when vaping...but yea if someone put a bottle of mountain dew next to me I would probably down it pretty fast...best to stay away from sugary drinks when your doing something that makes you drink more...a long time ago in my teens I got hooked on soft drinks and gained about 20 pounds...went back to water and eventually lost it all

Rykk

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Florida
It kinda makes sense that you gained weight. I have, as well. (1 year, 2 weeks) I read a study last year from a lab in New Zealand that estimated you only get like 30% or so the amount of nicotine per drag when you "noke" (means "not smoke") a vaporette rather than smoke a cigarette. Since nicotine is a mild stimulant, it follows that your metabolism would slow down when deprived of maybe half the daily nicotine intake it has become accustomed to for - in my case - a LOT of years. Unless you spent every single waking moment noking some really high nico content juice...
C-ya,
Rick

topdown67

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
North Carolina
When I dropped the cancer sticks and started vaping, I quickly regained some lung health and started an exercise routine. Just 20 minutes a day on the treadmill, walking at first, add a bit of jogging later. It's been 2 months and I feel better than I have since I was a teenager. I still have a bit of beer belly, but it's more of a 12 pack than the full case I was carrying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread