Status
Not open for further replies.

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
I gained 16 lbs (7 kg) this year since I started vaping.. as if I really quit smoking (when in fact I just switched from analog to vaping)

Is this normal?? Am I the only one to gain so much weight after switching? :confused:

I was around 178 lbs (81 kg) when I started and I'm quite built, but now I'm 194 lbs (88 kg) ... I'm 5'8" (174 cm). Now I have some belly too ... (I was and am still buff, but now my belly is a bit chubby).

Ya I've put on about 10 pounds in a month! Im male 6'1 175 pounds and now 185. I'm not eating any wrose foods, I'm just eating a lot more :oops:

Luvs5rugrats

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
The Lowcountry
Well, I've been experimenting with DIY flavors a lot and am starting to accumulate a pile of "not for vaping" flavors, which has led me to get creative with cooking. I've made some lollipops and last night, peanut butter cookies, of which, I've eaten more than I care to share. ;) Anyone have any great low-cal dessert recipes? lol

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've lost about 10lbs in about 2 months. I can think of quite a few things that have changed. At work going outside to smoke is a path straight past the cafeteria which quite often had me stop for a snack, now I sit happily at my desk and if my sweet tooth hits I just pop in some Tastyfinger or AC to settle me down. The same with home, I could either go out of the sliding glass door in my bedroom and have the wench mock me while smoking, or head through the kitchen and go out the back door for a peaceful smoke, unfortunately heading through the kitchen had me making pitstops. Now I just sit where ever I am and have a vape. I find I use vaping as much as an appetite suppressant as an analog replacement. Having close to 100 flavors helps keep me from being bored with any of them.

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
I've lost about 15 pounds since I started vaping. I'm not complaining as I am still carrying extra weight. I did not try to lose weight. It just happened when I started vaping.

I usually vape tobacco flavors. And I toss in some sweeter / desert type vapes during the evening hours. I think the sweeter / desert juices have tricked my brain into thinking we just had a bit of candy or ice cream. If my brain thinks I've had my sweets, then my stomach must be happy too - Right?

That probably makes no sense, but I have no other explanation. I only drink water and coffee. I am not, and never have been a soda, juice, tea, or milk drinker.

carguyty

Oct 15, 2009
I turned to e-cigs not so much as a way to quit analogs (I had already done that) but as a a way to keep from starting to find snacks. Nicotine is a mild appetite suppressant anyway, and with my snacking habits coming from being bored, I had found a new outlet. There must be something else going on that you are not thinking about that is leading to weight gain. 16 lbs is over what length of time?

andygee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
new york city
for the record, October was my first month at over 80% non-tobacco smoking. I just had my weight watchers monthly lifetime weigh-in and I lost half a pound. Same high-energy, high-nutrition food (barley, raw fish, sun dried tomatoes, whole orchards of fruit, nuts, etc) and same high-intensity bike training. I'm breathing a lot better going up hills, and I picked up about 4% on my speed from a bad low point in September. But somehow I don't think I'm going to get back to my 2008 high point.

Onehempcat

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2011
Here, there
Ok, so I gained a BIG OLE' 0 pounds. or I lost 0 pounds. Depends. I weigh what I did in high school and am 35 now. I eat like a nut who hasn't eaten in 30 days. MORE NOW, after quitting smokes. My work is very labor intense, deck building, window installation, always hard stuff.
I WISH I could gain more. I still don't get this water/vaping/dehydrated thing. Anyone clue me in a bit? Maybe I can gain some and get big muscles :2cool: for the first time!!!!!!!
And yeah, I drink about 4 cans of soda and 3 extra large Dunkin Donuts coffees a day (same as before) NEVER drink water, pfffft, that stuff is blahhhhhhh.
And all ya haters, hit me up in PM, lol. I know anyone who knows I don't gain weight, hates my skinny ..... Sorry.

Who-dat

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Austin
Usually, when I quit smoking, I gain a lot of weight. I'm pretty fit, BTW, but I can sometimes lose some definition to a bit of flab. I did Chantix for almost a month, for example, and gained 10+lbs. With vaping, I've lost a few. Yes, food does taste better, but I don't snack as much. And snacking is my demon. Actually, I probably snack less, as my "instant gratification reward" doesn't require me to step outside.

J.E.L.

Mar 3, 2011
Chicago
I started vaping instead of smoking this past October and I noticed I'd put on a few pounds by the end of January - but I attribute that to all the (over)eating I did because the holiday treats started arriving at about the same time my tastebuds started to revive. Once I noticed the weight gain, I made a small but serious effort to cut back on calories and I was back to my 'fighting weight' within about six weeks.

Supertaper

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've gained about 5lb, and I can't really figure out why. I don't eat any more than I did when I smoked, since I quit smoking I've started swing dancing twice a week, and now when I walk the dogs I walk/run instead of just walking. I wouldn't mind the extra pounds so much, except that my clothes fit as though I have gained a lot more than 5lb. I have to do something before I don't have any pants that fit, lol.

Robolsson

Verified Member
Mar 15, 2011
new joisey
I can assure you it would only be worse if you tried it cold turkey..my first day of cold turkey involved me consuming 2,000 calories in ONLY starburst, not including the 4 meals I ate. I recommend taking advantage of your new-found lung power and start exercising, there's not a secret way to lose weight..but preventative measures can be taken to not gain any in the first place. Exercise and less high calorie drinks (big one, even if you only drink 2 normal soda's a day you can cut 300~ calories a day or 2100 a week by not drinking those normal soda's..that one alone will lose you about a pound a week) are what seemed to work for me. I tried to eat a little healthier but honestly not much, and since i've started vaping i've lost all the weight I put on trying to quit cold turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread