Battery info for sub ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sewage

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Texas
I know the precautions for sub ohm vaping. Just need a little info on the battery that has been chosen for me. So I went in to the one of the many shops here in San Antonio, one that has many supplies for the more experienced. Went to get an unprotected battery because I've heard that those where the best when it came to going sub ohm, the "professional" in rba's and going sub ohms was there. Told him I needed an unprotected battery, in a rush I just needed it get it rang up and head back out on my way. Popped it in and it's vaping just fine, come to find out... Well it's protected. Don't know the exact type it is but I know it's an 18650 and it has the letters rgv and the number 82 on it. Long story short, would it still be safe if it's protected? Any one know exactly what kinda battery it is?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It funny, there seem to be a lot of battery questions on ECF tonight, which is good.

All batteries we use are lithium ion. ICR li-ion are not safe to use for vaping. They are sometimes protected and sometimes not.

IMR li-ion are never protected. They are a safer chemistry and don't need protection.

There are also hybrid batteries that are generally not protected. They are also safer chemistry, but IMO not as safe generally as IMR. I have seen these in protected versions occasionally.

For sub-ohm vaping IMR batts are the safest. 99% of the time if a battery is protected it is ICR. As I said above, ICR are not safe enough.

IMO if you don't know what the battery is, don't use it. I don't know what your batt is. RGV 82 does nothing for me. If it were me, I would take it back and try to exchange it.

HTH.

Last edited:

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
Can you post all that is printed on the battery in the order it is printed?

I'm not that knowledgable of all the different batteries, but that is where I would start. Otherwise, you should call the place you bought them and ask them what they sold you, or go back in. Personally, I wouldn't use a sub-ohm setup if I didn't know what battery was sold to me.

If it is an IMR chemistry battery, or a "safer" hybrid chemistry then it won't be protected, but that only part of what you need to know. You need to know the discharge rating for the battery too. Input your info here- Ohm's Law Calculator , and make sure you're within the specs of the battery, and possibly give yourself a little margin for error. For example, if you battery is rated at a 10 amp continuous discharge rate, and you are vaping a .6 ohm coil on a fully charged battery (4.2 volts), you are pulling 7 amps and within the rating of your battery (with the internal battery resistance and the mod and atty resistance you won't be getting all 4.2 volts to your coil but better safe than sorry).

Sewage

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Texas
It funny, there seem to be a lot of battery questions on ECF tonight, which is good.

All batteries we use are lithium ion. ICR li-ion are not safe to use for vaping. They are sometimes protected and sometimes not.

IMR li-ion are never protected. They are a safer chemistry and don't need protection.

There are also hybrid batteries that are generally not protected. They are also safer chemistry, but IMO not as safe generally as IMR. I have seen these in protected versions occasionally.

For sub-ohm vaping IMR batts are the safest. 99% of the time if a battery is protected it is ICR. As I said above, ICR are not safe enough.

IMO if you don't know what the battery is, don't use it. I don't know what your batt is. RGV 82 does nothing for me. If it were me, I would take it back and try to exchange it.

HTH.

Great info from all thanks guys.
Gonna call the shop tmmrw and see what kind they are, and if not safe will exchange and or order IMR's off the net.

Last edited:

TreVader

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
So a protected wouldn't be to safe? An unprotected would be safer, and the IMR is unprotected?

A protected battery just plain won't work for sub ohm. As soon as it hits a certain amperage the protection will kick in, and cut the circuit.

You can run Sub-ohm on Li-Ion.... it's just not a great idea. On the one hand, Li-Ion holds better charge but you can't really use the charge anyway because not only is your battery very likely to blow, in the case that it does it's going to vent very very hot gas and destroy your mod at best.

I know people who just cut the protection off Li-Ion Sonys and run them, but i don't. And I've generally been criticized as somebody who isn't concerned enough with safety.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Our choices of batteries for mods are IMR, protected NCR/ICR Li-Ion, and a new class of Hybrid batteries.

High quality IMRs are currently recommended instead of Protected Li Ion for all applications. (reference - Rechargeable Batteries)

IMR (Li Mn) batteries are the safest batteries available to us for vaping. They use safer chemicals so don't require protective circuits like ICRs do. They have higher tolerence to stress and although they may vent during failure it is less likely to be as dramatic as a ICR. Should protective circuits fail in ICRs they can vent violently in flames. Unprotected ICRs should NEVER be used.

IMR batteries are also known as "unprotected", "high drain", and "safer chemistry". Unprotected ICR/NCR Li-Ion batteries can also be found, but should NEVER be used in a mod.

Using sub ohm coils < 0.8 ohms require special IMR batteries which have a continuous discharge rate of over 10 amps.

AW IMR
18650 2000mah 10Amp CDR
18650 1600mah 24A

MNKE IMR
18650 1500mah ​20A

Panasonic ​or Orbtronic hybrid
CGR18650CH (IMR/hybrid) 2250mAh 10A
NCR18650PD (LiNiCoAl) 2900mAh 10A
Orbtronic 18650 SX22 (hybrid) 2000mAh 22A

Samsung hybrid (LiNiCoMnP)
INR18650-22P 2200mAh 10A
INR18650-20R 2000mah 22A

Sony
us18650v3 IMR 2250mAh 10A
us18650vct3 (hybrid) 1600mAh 30A

Efest IMR
18650 (IMR/hybrid) 2250mAh 10A
18650 2000mAh 10A
18650 1600mAh 30A

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Mechanical Mod Proper Usage Guide

Cloud Chasing is Dangerous <-- Read this!

How to use a Multimeter - If you are using an RBA/RDA, you need to have and know how to use a multimeter, otherwise you have NO BUSINESS using a Rebuildable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Are you sure you meant 200 mAh? I'm assuming this was a typo and you meant 2000 mah. This is critical.

Is the battery red and look like this one? EH IMR18650 2000mAh 3.7V Rechargeable LiMn battery - button top

If yes, this battery's specs are comparable to the AW 18650 IMR 2000mAh and the Efest 18650 IMR 2000mAh batteries, which are excellent batteries. I have recently heard of this battery. It is an IMR high drain, safe chemistry battery.

All three would be safe. However, they all three have a 10 amp CDR limit. This means no coils < 0.8 ohms. (with 0.2 ohms wiggle room for safety)

Either rewrap your coils to 0.8 ohm + or use your alternative juice delivery attachment until your AW IMR are received. I'm assuming you have a multimeter to check your coils. I'm also hoping you ordered the AW 18650 IMR 1600 mAh batteries, correct? Please confirm.

Last edited:

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I wouldn't use it. Not only have I not heard of EH batteries, but 200mah seems incredibly easy to over-discharge. Most vaper gear is centered around or above 2000mah. Mah = mili-amp-hours, meaning how long the battery will work before needing charging. Mods will continue firing the battery even if it reaches a dangerously low level of power, meaning its being over-discharged. Just use whatever gear you have besides the mod for now, your ego, vamo, whatever you have. Be patient.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
I wouldn't use it. Not only have I not heard of EH batteries, but 200mah seems incredibly easy to over-discharge. Most vaper gear is centered around or above 2000mah. Mah = mili-amp-hours, meaning how long the battery will work before needing charging. Mods will continue firing the battery even if it reaches a dangerously low level of power, meaning its being over-discharged. Just use whatever gear you have besides the mod for now, your ego, vamo, whatever you have. Be patient.

VV/VW mods with stop firing after the battery hits 3.2-3.4 volts.

Mechanical mods will continue to fire ... but you will get little to NO vapor at around 2.8 volts. 2.8 volts is not an over discharge with todays batteries. You will notice when it's time to change your battery in a mechanical ... the difference in vapor is VERY noticeable.

Sewage

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Texas
Are you sure you meant 200 mAh? I'm assuming this was a typo and you meant 2000 mah. This is critical.

Is the battery red and look like this one? EH IMR18650 2000mAh 3.7V Rechargeable LiMn battery - button top

If yes, this battery's specs are comparable to the AW 18650 IMR 2000mAh and the Efest 18650 IMR 2000mAh batteries, which are excellent batteries. I have recently heard of this battery.

However, they all three have a 10 amp CDR limit. This means no coils < 0.8 ohms. (with 0.2 ohms wiggle room for safety)

Either rewrap your coils or use your alternative juice delivery attachment until your AW IMR is received. I'm hoping you ordered the AW 18650 IMR 1600 mAh battery, correct? Please confirm.

Yes it was a typo, sorry guys I meant EH unprotected 2000mah.
But yes the battery looks exactly like that one you posted the link too only with something over the nipple of it. Which I'm assuming is the button top? And yes that was the AW 18650 1600mAh is what I ordered.
But the one I have should do just fine correct?? I don't wanna blow my face off..

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes it was a typo, sorry guys I meant EH unprotected 2000mah.
But yes the battery looks exactly like that one you posted the link...
But the one I have should do just fine correct?? I don't wanna blow my face off..
It will be fine IF you don't use a coil less than 0.8 ohms. If your coil is less than that, you will have to REWRAP to 0.8 ohm or higher? You never answered if you have a multimeter.

The AW IMR 1600 battery will be a great battery for sub ohm. Still, practice safe vaping habits.

Sewage

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Texas
It will be fine IF you don't use a coil less than 0.8 ohms. If your coil is less than that, you will have to REWRAP to 0.8 ohm or higher? You never answered if you have a multimeter.

The AW IMR 1600 battery will be a great battery for sub ohm. Still, practice safe vaping habits.

Ok, awesome thanks yeah my coil is running right at 0.8 exact.
And I don't have a multimeter, I'm using my Vamo v3 to read my ohms and battery life.

yardbyrd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
Carrollton, Georgia USA
I have avoided sub-ohm vaping, though intrigued by it, for some time. I recently purchased an IGO W. I finally got a good dual coil build last night. My inexpensive Multimeter shows it a 1.0 ohms but an acquaintance's Vamo read 0.9 ohms. I think the Vamo is accurate because my Provari will not accept it.

I was using ICR 18650 2000 mah batteries and a vape safe, on a Kamry KTS, and experiencing issues with too much heat. That is until I read this thread. I immediately changed over to an AW-IMR 18650 2000 mah battery. I am also using a vape safe, and this may be overkill, but like you all I want to be safe.

I am paying close attention to my coils, heat generated by the IGO W, and temperature of my battery. The heat is still pronounced but not as hot.

I feel much safer, and more confident, journeying into this new Realm so I can see, firsthand, if sub-ohm vaping is something I want to pursue and continue or not.

Thank you all, so much, for your succinct and informative posts. Any feedback regarding my post, experience, or set up are welcome.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You're looking good with the new AW battery yardbyrd. Refer to the battery specs in Baditude's post #9 and you'll see it will do 10 amps continuous. I use a Ohm's Law calculator here. Use 4.2 volts and the resistance 0.9 ohms, hit calculate and you get 4.7 amps draw.

Your battery will not heat up in this setup. If it does, stop and figure it out before continuing, something's wrong.

I have a Kamry KTS and never had any issues with it. Be aware though some people have reported the switch heating up. Again, should that happen, stop and fix it.

Vape on :smokie:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread