Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
There are a few threads with similar topics. I just sort of jumped in read a bit, and finally took the "leap"

I decided on a PG/ cold maceration. I chopped up an Acid Blondie and covered it up with PG. ITs been sitting in a mason jar for a few weeks now. From what I read 6 weeks or more is a standard. Then its the taste tests and filtering when it seems right.

NET are the only liquids I purchase. Im a heavy vapor, so I go thru average of 15mls a day. The NET are what I enjoy with my coffee and a few times during the evening. With all the possible taxation and possible non-availability of flavored liquids, I guess I chose a good time to dive in.

I bought my filters and in a few weeks we shall see what I come up with.

I hope someone rings in, but like I said there are a few threads that have been going on for a while with good info and great people that are more than happy to help.

Here are a couple threads that Ive gotten good info from
Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Extended Cold Maceration ?

Reactions: jonnydoe

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
Yes, i know there are a few threads, but i havent seen some special for cigar extraction. Cigar extraction seems to be more difficult to get a very strong and tasteful net and thats why a special cigar extraction thread could be better to speak about the methods and cigar kinds. If someone is only interested in cigars its easier to get information as reading all the other threads.

Thank you and let us know, if you will have success referring the taste and the strongness. :)

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Ive also heard that cigars are a bit more work, but could not find a cigar specific thread.

My favorite NETS seem to be the cigars, and especially one that is no longer available. Walkers Tobaccos made some amazing NETs. They had pipe and leaf tobacco ones too, but his Cigars were amazing. My favorite one was his "Acid Blonde" perfect all day, ( if I could afford it ) thick and like maple syrup, being all VG. I dont know if he extracted with VG or ethanol. Just a nice clean, dry smoky taste. Its a light syrup like liquid when it comes in , and it can be used straight out of the mail box. It keeps getting better with age and darkens.

He had a great Rocky Patel and so many other great ones. What I liked about most of his was they did not taste "flavored" Never was there a candy like or vanilla over tone. It tasted and smelled like tobacco.

I hope I can come close with at least one good NET I can make.

Reactions: jonnydoe

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
Yes, i dont like flavours like vanilla too in my nets. I want to do some cigar extracts referring the tutorials or proposols of bommer and str8vision:

Boomer:
I heat the solvent to 150F, usually 80-100 mls. Then I add 1 oz. of tobacco and turn off the heat. Once a week I re-heat to 150F and when it reaches temperature I turn off the heat and stir. Most aromatics I do 4 weeks. Non-aromatics 5 weeks and Cigars 6 weeks. This method, I feel, gives me the most flavorful extract I'm going to get.

Str8:
Mix a 90% PG, 10% PGA solvent blend. Pour it over the shredded cigar just covering the tobacco, then add 10 - 15% extra for absorption. Seal the jar and place it in a 130F hot water bath for 96 hours. After the 96 hour hot soak place the sealed jar in a dark place at room temperature for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, perform in-process sampling to evaluate the developing flavor. Do this by drawing 5 drops of extract from the jar and mixing it with 20 drops of pre-mixed base (your preference of PG/VG/& nic). Drip this mixed sample to evaluate flavor strength of the extract, if it's too weak let it soak for another two weeks before sampling it again. Repeat this until you're satisfied with the flavor, then separate the tobacco and filter the extract. The longer it soaks the stronger the flavor will be. This extraction method will produce the deepest, darkest flavor the tobacco in play is capable of yielding but it will lack overall flavor complexity and the higher flavor nuances. It will also be gunky.

At the moment i am thinking about which cigars i will try. Str8 has extracted a rocky patel 1990, this will be the first one. I want perhaps 4-5 cigars for the test. Second could be a rocky patel acid blonde, but i need more proposols from people who have experiences with cigars. I am a beginner and have only made a lot of extracts by the hot ethanol extraction method of Str8. Hope somebody with experiences referring cigars will post here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread