Best "opener" for striking up a conversation about vaping with a smoker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoVapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Western Canada
www.grbc.co
So anyone got any good lines they can think of that are a good opener when wanting to strike up a conversation about vaping to some random stranger you see smoking on the street who most likely has never even heard such a device as an e-cig exists?? (ya im like a jehovahs witness trying to force my beliefs onto random strangers). Im looking for something a little more classy and disarming than "hey guy I dont know, check this out!".

Awkward part is always thinking of what the first thing I should say to them is. Since theres some creative minds here, whatchya got???

NanoVapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Western Canada
www.grbc.co
Always found that just puffing on it near them breaks the ice well enough.

You might find this hard to believe, but that has NEVER worked. Ive vaped in every public place possible, infront of smokers and non-smokers, no one ever says a single word or even looks at me. Even when im checking out groceries the clerk doesnt say anything!!

Im in Canada so maybe its just Canadians are too polite or maybe I look like im a serial killer, but ive NEVER been able to get someone to say anything simply by vaping near them. Also I think people might think its like some medical device for asthma or something and dont want to be rude by asking me what it is.

So I need some good openers, since just vaping doesnt do it!

Dogsbody

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
Australia
To a random smoker...

"still on the traditionals eh?"

when the cig is just about finished: "gee wouldn't it be good if you could get a cig that didn't burn down like that....?"

when they cough... "haha I remember those days!"

when they ask for a light, "no, but I have a spare battery!"

I don't know,....
usually people approach me and hassle me about it, I find it better that way, make them pursue you out of curiosity rather than try to force it upon them. When I first got mine I was talking it up to some smoker friends and immediately they were skeptical and said "nah, it's not for me.."
So I stopped talking about it, now my other smoker friends constantly ask for 'go's' on it and where I got it, how much... etc. I just answer their questions and don't offer anymore, just act uninterested and keep puffing.

NanoVapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Western Canada
www.grbc.co
^

Ya it is pretty snazzy, but ive never known many smokers who didint have a lighter on them except my brother who I would coin as a "disorganized smoker" since he was always lacking something when it came to smoking (usually the damn cigarette itself, guy owes me how many cigs??? enough to be worth sending a collection agency).

I still need a good opener, a generic "will work for all occasions" opener. Something just a few words long, super snazzy, total attention grabber.

I read one on this forum someone said the otherday "Mind if I dont smoke?" but that only works if your in an actual establishment and are asking the staff there if you can vape. I need something I can say when im walking down the street and pass a pack of smokers huddling around an ash tray. Someone has to enlighten them!

dg99

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hi there, I used to smoke too...ever seen one of these before? Bc of theses, I havent smoked since June of 09 and was able to quit cold turkey after 23 yrs n 2 pks a day! :)

I like this one, very honest. As long as you are sincere you won't come across as a smoking everywhere salesman. After that line, they'll either be intrigued (you go on), or annoyed (you screw off :D)

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
I'm probably still about as excited about my PV as I was the first week I got mine and willing and wanting to show anyone my new hobby, but over time I've found that a lot of smokers don't really want to hear about it. Some may show interest and hear you, but they really are not listening to you. I just ran into a friend at Home Depot this morning (he works there) and I remember him showing genuine interest about 2 months ago when I showed it to him, but I asked him today if he has tried one yet and he simply said "no" with a smirk on his face like he could give a crap less. Those are the ones who will die a smoker.

I no longer force my hand (hobby) on anyone unless they show interest first. There are times however, when having a simple conversation with someone who is smoking right then and there, I may ask them if they've ever heard of the electronic cigarette and go from there. One of the first things I do stress to them however, is that they may be called an "electronic cigarette" but the term "personal vaporizer" is more correct, even "nicotine inhaler". Our PV's have nothing in common with a cigarette other than nicotine if we so desire (we control the nicotine level).

I still find that those who support me 100% are those who never smoked a day in their life, while those who either smoke now or used to smoke - at least more than a few of them could care less and almost seem intimidated by it. I somehow cheated and quit smoking the easy way with no withdrawals and maybe enjoying vaping way too much. Then comes those proverbial "When are you going to quit that?" questions and I simply say "As soon as you quit drinking coffee." Because nicotine and cafeine are the same as far as addiction - in my mind.

If and when it does happen, my opening line has been either "Have you ever heard of the electronic cigarette?" or "Have you ever seen one of these before?"

:thumb:

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
I can't agree more with letting them come to you. 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink' is a classic for a reason.

Remember the fear and intimidation you had whenever you considered not smoking before you knew about PVs? What was it that tipped the scale for you to pull the trigger?

People are where they are at and no amount of prostilizing will get it done until they are 'ready'.

In the mean time just keep enjoying that vap. When 'they' are ready they will seek you out and you will not need any clever phrase. Just the enjoyment and peace that shines on your face will communicate all that is needed to hear, "Hey, what the hell is that?" Then just keep it simple and direct about your satisfaction and 'they' will get it.

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I wouldn't recommend approaching people, either. I think it will mostly come across about as effectively as those people who used to approach me and say things like, "Hey, you know those things'll kill you!" (Yes. Sheesh!)

I do have business cards, and I have taken to leaving them on the bar, or my dinner table or maybe by the ashtrays outside in the hopes that the message will get to someone.

CartHeadMod

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Hello all I am new to this forum so i hope i am not breaking any rules by posting in here, This is Jim from Michigan I see allot of people have the i have been smoke free for so many days the counter at the bottom of there post where can i get one of those?

TY,

Jim
"Vape On"

also from Michigan.....most of them, if you click on them, will take you to a place where you can make your own.....you wouldn't happen to be from the south side of Grand Rapids would you?....

VapinDove

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
PA-USA
www.allpathsjewelry.com
I haven't had the opportunity to vape in front of smokers yet that I don't know but when I do, I'll just do my thing and let them approach me.

You could always on the exhale, sigh with a smile on your face and when they look at you, you say "ahhhhh, yes, Waffle - yum, yum". Just fill in the flavor you're vaping. :D

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
Hello all I am new to this forum so i hope i am not breaking any rules by posting in here, This is Jim from Michigan I see allot of people have the i have been smoke free for so many days the counter at the bottom of there post where can i get one of those?

TY,

Jim
"Vape On"

I'm pretty sure you need a minimum of 15 posts before you can edit your signature with a counter, but once you can, just click on mine (or one you like) and it will take you to the website to get your own, then come back and go to User CP at the top left side of this page, and you can insert the link (url) in your signature line.

:thumb:

Strychnine

Jan 28, 2010
Richmond, VA
Why do you feel the need to go out of your way to bring attention to yourself like that? Vaping in the front of the cashier at the register? Seriously? It's like you want to say outloud "Hey everyone look at me, I've got an electronic cigarette!!!" because you are dying for someone to notice you... Which kind of reminds me of kids back in high school who smoked like that in front of other kids because they thought it was "cool".

I've only been vaping for a couple of weeks now, but I don't go out bring attention to myself because a lot of the population aren't familiar with these. Hey, someone's about to pull up beside me at a stop light, I better bust out my e-cig and take a few drags hoping they might look over!!... Don't be that person..

Katattack

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2010
FL
I know what you're saying Strychnine but I think the motivation for a lot of people posting in this thread is "how can I start a dialogue with smokers because I know I might be able to help some of them". Then again, I'm sure...well I know from other threads/posts there are people who use vaping to get attention (or to be able to come back with indignation)....and yeah..that's sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread