Best place to get wire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
I've seen 20ga white and red wire at Ace Hardware but it was like, 200ft or something. I the spectrum of wire that you can use spans from 20 to 24ga. I had a few questions that I think would be really helpful to a lot of people that may stumble upon this. Wire is not something people usually spend much time thinking about.

- Where can I get it in the most appropriate (smallest) quantity?
- Where can I find wire that's in colors other than white and red?
- Who has the best price (duh)?

I was thinking the best places to look might be eBay or Amazon if looking online. I figure hobby sites or shops will probably be more expensive. Thoughts?

Doug_xx2

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Penn Yan, ny
I went to my local hobby shop and got 20 gauge wire radio shack has 22 gauge here and some other bigger sizes but I could not find 20 gauge wire anywhere except in that hobby shop they had it for rc cars and electric trains. These guys sell it Hook-up Wire | Mouser they also sell pptc re-settable fuses for your voltage input between your batteries and your board. I didn't order wire online but basically what I think you are looking for is 20 awg and 24 awg hookup wire. these guys have a pretty good forum with a nice modding section and most of them are both here and there Breaktru Forum - Index . They also have some good tutorials for soldering. and here is a good link for fuses. Mamu really knows their stuff about fuses. That and some of the stuff in the section of the breaktru forum should help you out a lot Simplified Electronics

oh and your probably gonna want to make sure you use the stranded wire instead of the solid core as solid core is liable to break when your moving it around to get it in the box

I hope that helped

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
I went to my local hobby shop and got 20 gauge wire radio shack has 22 gauge here and some other bigger sizes but I could not find 20 gauge wire anywhere except in that hobby shop they had it for rc cars and electric trains. These guys sell it Hook-up Wire | Mouser they also sell pptc re-settable fuses for your voltage input between your batteries and your board. I didn't order wire online but basically what I think you are looking for is 20 awg and 24 awg hookup wire. these guys have a pretty good forum with a nice modding section and most of them are both here and there Breaktru Forum - Index . They also have some good tutorials for soldering. and here is a good link for fuses. Mamu really knows their stuff about fuses. That and some of the stuff in the section of the breaktru forum should help you out a lot Simplified Electronics

oh and your probably gonna want to make sure you use the stranded wire instead of the solid core as solid core is liable to break when your moving it around to get it in the box

I hope that helped

That helped tons! I'll be hitting all these links!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug_xx2

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Penn Yan, ny
I saw that all the wire used was 20-24ga. I got a pack of 3 22ga rolls in different colors. Can I use all 22 or do I need to find more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well...

Evolve recommends 20 for the atty and battery and 24 for the rest. I believe the idea here (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) is that resistance steals voltage from the board and ultimately from your atty so they want you to use 20 gauge on the battery and atty connection because it is the biggest wire that will fit in the hole on the board and the bigger the wire the lower the resistance making for a longer battery life and less buildup of unwanted heat in your wiring. Like in winding coils resistance translates into heat when a current is passed through the wire so the smaller wire may heat up possibly melting insulation and causing a short. The other wires do not carry a heavy current as they are low voltage control wires but the wires leading to your atty connector and coming from your battery will be carrying a high current hence the recommendation for the bigger wire for them.

Also you should check to make sure it is not solid core wire. I found that solid core wire was fine until I started folding it over to put it in the case then I had problems with it breaking off flush with the board causing me to have to get out the solder sucker and swear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread