Status
Not open for further replies.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Stainless steel doesn't have the same color as chrome, yet another vendor claims that they both look identical.

Which leads me to believe that these units are NOT stainless steel, but merely chrome plated copper or maybe even plated aluminum. Of it's steel or copper, it'll be much heavier than an aluminum body.

The sheen coming off of those LF tubes are definitely NOT stainless steel, that's highly polished chrome!

Great for a rebuildable atomizer but BAD, BAD, BAD for a tube mod cuz it'll be prone to slip out of your hand like trying to hold onto a bar of wet soap!

And if you drop that HEAVY thing on any kind of solid surface, it's gonna BREAK or damage the delicate electronics inside or dent/chip that chrome plating right OFF! Not to mention what it'll do to your tanks, cartomizers or tips?

And guess what? Your warranty doesn't cover "butter-fingers"....so you drop it and it breaks, it's yours! And thanks to that highly polished chrome finish, dents or scratches will show abuse which will void your warranty!

The end caps are an improvement, but you're much better off with the aluminum body, cuz the paint will give your hand some friction so you can hold onto it.

Yeah it looks nice, but pretty dang stupid to buy a chrome plated hand-held tube mod!!

And you can bet there's a reason they're pumping out chrome tubes and it probably has nothing to do with their appearance and everything to do with voiding warranties....especially considering the high percentage of failures with the 2.5 amp version.

Food for thought before you buy....

Last edited:

carlton

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
Albuquerque
Um, it's been confirmed that there is a chrome model and a stainless steel model.

And if you polish up stainless steel, you can get it pretty darn shiny.

But sure, whatever floats your boat. If you have sweaty hands, don't walk around on the sidewalk with one or whatever. People buy chromed ProVaris, Silver Bullets, X-Halers, Infinity Pros, etc. Are you giving all of them the same advice? That they're selling those so they can void warranties? C'mon.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Um, it's been confirmed that there is a chrome model and a stainless steel model.

And if you polish up stainless steel, you can get it pretty darn shiny.

But sure, whatever floats your boat. If you have sweaty hands, don't walk around on the sidewalk with one or whatever. People buy chromed ProVaris, Silver Bullets, X-Halers, Infinity Pros, etc. Are you giving all of them the same advice? That they're selling those so they can void warranties? C'mon.

Confirmed by who, an actual user that tested the metal?

WRONG!

Only a SUCKER would buy one of these chromed LT's and think that their warranty wouldn't be denied if they scratched the finish.

So think what you want about proven solid construction mods, but the current version LT is delicate and WILL break or damage the internal electronics if you drop it on a hard surface.

And the moment you scratch that finish, babye warranty!

Pretty much a win-win for a vendor, higher price paid for a scratch & dent magnet with no warranty coverage.

Not hard to see why a vendor would push these over an aluminum version.

Last edited:

SilentEcho13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
New York
Confirmed by who, an actual user that tested the metal?

WRONG!

Only a SUCKER would buy one of these chromed LT's and think that their warranty wouldn't be denied if they scratched the finish.

So think what you want about proven solid construction mods, but the current version LT is delicate and WILL break or damage the internal electronics if you drop it on a hard surface.

And the moment you scratch that finish, babye warranty!

Pretty much a win-win for a vendor, higher price paid for a scratch & dent magnet with no warranty coverage.

Not hard to see why a vendor would push these over an aluminum version.

Another user was able to hold/test one the other day, and he seemed to love it. The apollo rep said that it's definitely heavier and denser (the SS one).

As for the warranty: I've RMA'd a standard silver LT from volcano with a scratched surface. While it's not stainless steel, it's definitely harder to scratch. I'm sure apollo realizes that stainless steel is prone to scratching.

The chrome coated copper version... yeah, that's going to be very fragile.

carlton

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
Albuquerque
I hate to quote you again, but how did you get it to do just the tube and not the kit? I don't see any options on apollo's site, just the full kit.

placing my order for just the SS unit not the KIT for 48$ after code already have plenty of batt's great deal and cant wait for the SS to arive.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Another user was able to hold/test one the other day, and he seemed to love it. The apollo rep said that it's definitely heavier and denser (the SS one).

As for the warranty: I've RMA'd a standard silver LT from volcano with a scratched surface. While it's not stainless steel, it's definitely harder to scratch. I'm sure apollo realizes that stainless steel is prone to scratching.

The chrome coated copper version... yeah, that's going to be very fragile.

YUP!

Copper is a soft metal that dents easily, and then to coat it with chrome plating?

LOL...geeez, crazy dumb! (Or brilliant for voiding a warranty)

IF there actually is an SS version (and I highly doubt there is), the SS should be grayish in color while the chrome will be silvery and shine like a mirror.....and they definitely won't look the same.

RMA'd an aluminum body with scratches? Yep, but the aluminum body doesn't show abuse like what one of these chrome plated models would.

You drop the aluminum one and the plastic end caps are going to absorb the impact, preventing damage. But drop one these chrome plated one's and a scuff would be questionable, a dent and it's all over.

SilentEcho13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
New York
YUP!

Copper is a soft metal that dents easily, and then to coat it with chrome plating?

LOL...geeez, crazy dumb! (Or brilliant for voiding a warranty)

IF there actually is an SS version (and I highly doubt there is), the SS should be grayish in color while the chrome will be silvery and shine like a mirror.....and they definitely won't look the same.

RMA'd an aluminum body with scratches? Yep, but the aluminum body doesn't show abuse like what one of these chrome plated models would.

You drop the aluminum one and the plastic end caps are going to absorb the impact, preventing damage. But drop one these chrome plated one's and a scuff would be questionable, a dent and it's all over.

Its coated aluminum, scratches still show. I had a pretty (nasty) scratch on there too, but I didn't get questioned about it.

For those who ordered a SS, I hope we actually get a SS. If it turns out to be otherwise, it's a call for legal action, which I'm sure Apollo or L-Rider can't afford to face and tarnish their reputation. I'm sure someone will point out the differences and verify that we're getting the right metal here.

As for the actual picture, it's hard to tell what exactly it is. Factors like lighting, white balance, etc. come into play, so I guess we won't know exactly how the two differ until they've been handed out to the public.

Last edited:

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Its coated aluminum, scratches still show. I had a pretty (nasty) scratch on there too, but I didn't get questioned about it.

For those who ordered a SS, I hope we actually get a SS. If it turns out to be otherwise, it's a call for legal action, which I'm sure Apollo or L-Rider can't afford to face and tarnish their reputation. I'm sure someone will point out the differences and verify that we're getting the right metal here.

As for the actual picture, it's hard to tell what exactly it is. Factors like lighting, white balance, etc. come into play, so I guess we won't know exactly how the two differ until they've been handed out to the public.

Mmm, hm.....I'll bet Volcano felt the same when they found out that their AW batteries were fakes!

Ya know, the one's that the manufacturer told Volcano that they were genuine AW's?

Or when vendors tell you that only IMR batteries are recommended for use in the LT, but send you cheap Chinese unprotected ICR's in your kits instead! Yeah....those aren't IMR batteries in your kits people!

I think that a lot of vendors take for granted what they're being told by sales reps as factual, without first verifying it themselves before they sell it. Volcano made that very same (and very serious) mistake!

Didn't it strike you a little bit suspicious that Apollo took all of those pre-orders under the 'assumption' of SS, but then just recently posted....and I quote, "The Chrome version will look the same as the stainless steel version, but it will be made of copper and coated with chrome."

Mmmm, hm.....that nice little disclosure wasn't there 2 days ago!

SS and chrome do NOT look the same.

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
Arguing at this point will be...well...pointless...untill both are side by side to play with. polished stainless will still be a little different than chrome...one is steel, one is nickel / chromium. Weitght will also be quite the tell. I will likely get both anyway, but I guarantee you that the Chrome will be a "when company comes over" or "work party" kind of thing and the stainless will be for daily use.

charmgraphics

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
nc
I ordered a mini SS for a Grand Total: of $39.96 when they were first posted with the 20% discount. Hope I really get it but it seems to good to be true really.

Oh I did get a email monday saying it may be up to 4 weeks before they are shipped. They are trying for the 31st but it may be longer.

Last edited:

SilentEcho13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
New York
Mmm, hm.....I'll bet Volcano felt the same when they found out that their AW batteries were fakes!

Ya know, the one's that the manufacturer told Volcano that they were genuine AW's?

Or when vendors tell you that only IMR batteries are recommended for use in the LT, but send you cheap Chinese unprotected ICR's in your kits instead! Yeah....those aren't IMR batteries in your kits people!

I think that a lot of vendors take for granted what they're being told by sales reps as factual, without first verifying it themselves before they sell it. Volcano made that very same (and very serious) mistake!

Didn't it strike you a little bit suspicious that Apollo took all of those pre-orders under the 'assumption' of SS, but then just recently posted....and I quote, "The Chrome version will look the same as the stainless steel version, but it will be made of copper and coated with chrome."

Mmmm, hm.....that nice little disclosure wasn't there 2 days ago!

SS and chrome do NOT look the same.

Atleast volcano admitted it, and corrected the problem by halting the sales of their batteries. They offered to replace the fakes with AW's as well for anyone who got hit with a counterfeit.

Apollo may have opted for chrome after the initial 500 SS sales due to production costs, but in the end they still quoted stainless steel.

I know for a fact that someone out there will go ahead and weigh each of these (quite literally) to prove that the SS is actually steel. I'm sure someone will also try to strip the chrome coating off the copper as well.

Either way, they quoted stainless steel and that's what they'll have to deliver, or they'll just be in the same situation as Volcano with the fake 18650's.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Oh sure...somebody's gonna intentionally destroy their nice shiny new tube (which will void their warranty) to prove it's SS??

LOL

Yeah, right....C'mon.

Same situation?

I don't THINK so....you purchased a PRE-ORDER!

Apollo doesn't even have them in hand, let alone be able to confirm if in fact they're what they've advertised!

And do you seriously think for one second that Apollo is just gonna eat $25,000 LOSS if L-Rider delivers all copper plated chrome tubes??

Better wake up dude....

L-Rider is notorious for delivering fakes!

Oh and Volcano didn't "admit it"....they got CAUGHT, red-handed!

It was their customers that PROVED they were fakes by contacting AW and verifying that AW doesn't sell to China nor do they even make a flat-top IMR 18650....

Ooooops!

Atleast volcano admitted it, and corrected the problem by halting the sales of their batteries. They offered to replace the fakes with AW's as well for anyone who got hit with a counterfeit.

Apollo may have opted for chrome after the initial 500 SS sales due to production costs, but in the end they still quoted stainless steel.

I know for a fact that someone out there will go ahead and weigh each of these (quite literally) to prove that the SS is actually steel. I'm sure someone will also try to strip the chrome coating off the copper as well.

Either way, they quoted stainless steel and that's what they'll have to deliver, or they'll just be in the same situation as Volcano with the fake 18650's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread